General Motors & Chrysler Head for Bankruptcy - Will Bush Save Them?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)
  1. auto expert profile image60
    auto expertposted 15 years ago

While U.S. Senate refused the auto bail out plan, the situation of top two carmakers - General Motors and Chrysler have worsened. Both the two automakers may declare for bankruptcy protection. If any of the two carmakers file for bankruptcy, it is going to badly affect the production, plant and obviously the thousands of employees. Bankruptcy would automatically lead to collapse of different suppliers. Now its upon the President George W. Bush and his administration to decide the fate of auto industry that is already in deep recession. Will Bush administration help the ailing auto industry?

2. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 15 years ago

Friday Bush said he would use TARP funds to tide them over until Obama takes office, then he left the country without giving any details. We're still waiting on those details. GM and Chrysler are days away from bankruptcy--they can't make it through December, that's how much trouble they are in. I think it is inexcusable that we still don't have a detailed plan for making sure our domestic auto industry survives and is profitable. I say fire all the executes and seize the industry, just like the government did back before WWII--Seize Detroit, make them build THINGS WE NEED NOW--trains, electric cars, windmills, batteries, whatever.

Bush should be impeached. I don't care that he only has a month left to serve. Impeach him if he has a day. Hanging him would be better but we have no way to do that.

3. profile image54
    GG1posted 15 years ago

I can understand why they are headed for bankruptcy and can't feel too sorry for any of them.  I have known many of their retirees who live darn well while the rest of us who worked for other industries and the government are really pinching pennies to survive, but I don't know that we should bail them out.

Our 4 yo Chrysler with low mileage developed a nasty noise under the hood.  We took it to our dealership and were charged $96 just to check it out.  We were then told it would cost about $1300 to redo the wheel bearings, rotate the tires and align it.  We don't have that kind of money so we took it to our *shade tree* mechanic who went to redo the wheel bearings only to discover that the *lugs* (hope I remember that right) had not been tightened down on the assembly line and that was all that was wrong with it.  He said that would have been all they would have done, too, for the wheel bearings and he thought they knew that was all they would have to do.  When all was said and done, it cost us $300 because some overpaid jerk on the assembly line was either gone that day or just not doing his job.

I have since learned that  this is not uncommon on that model and year from Chrysler.  If a company should fail or thrive, it should be on the quality of their work and I seriously doubt we will ever again by a Chrysler product.

The auto companies and auto workers have had it pretty good for many years.  While the rest of us were working hard and saving up for our next layoff, they were assured of nearly a full income if they were laid off plus they had great health benefits while we were paying our own medical costs.  Now they want the rest of us to save them.

I think Bush is doing the right thing..about the only thing he has done I liked....he should leave these things to his successor.

4. allshookup profile image61
    allshookupposted 15 years ago

GG1,

I agree with you. I don't feel too sorry for them, either. And I know what you mean about how they live. There have been some to retire down here. Send those high-paying jobs down here. We'll work for less pay and still make a quality product. We wont ask for all that $$ per hour. We wont use the union. I'm tired, and so is most of America, of all these bailouts at the cost of the taxpayers. We have factories sitting idle down here. So, we are ready to work and have the factories for it. These companies made their beds, why are they not having to lie in them? Who's next, the Credit Card companies? I'm sick of Washington making the decisions to bail out all of these people. Executives wanting $10million for a yearly bonus. Gimmie a break. I hope they don't pass it. I was afraid that once the last one went through, more would like up. And it's happened. Everyone wants a handout, but takes no responsiblity for being in that shape to start with. I mean, why act responsibly if Uncle Sam is just going to pay your way out of it with other people's money?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)