Social Bookmarking Sites: To post or not to post

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (21 posts)
  1. jcwin228 profile image58
    jcwin228posted 13 years ago

I've been using a variety of social bookmarking sites to increase traffic and for the do-follow links, due to a great hub by Ryankett, thanks Ryan!! Recently though, on a few sites like Kirsty or Wagg, even after several months, my bookmarks are all marked as "submitted", but none of them are "published". They don't appear in searches on the site either. In these cases, is it worth the trouble to submit them, no one can see them?

By the way, one site that has been good to me is current.com I get quite a few referels from them.

1. pisean282311 profile image61
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

well i get around 35% of traffic from bookmarking sites..so i m fine with them...

1. rmcrayne profile image90
        rmcrayneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I did a HP search for info on wagg.it and found this old post.  I too chose this bookmarking site from ryankett's hub on dofollows. 

I joined on 29 May 10 and posted 6 of my hubs.  Today when I signed on to post more of my hub links, I found my account, but no evidence that I had ever submitted anything.  I tried to contact someone from the site, but the "contact" link did nothing (stayed on the same page).

2. Router Maniac profile image69
      Router Maniacposted 13 years ago

I have started a bookmarking site for DIY type of sites only.  The idea is to be "digg-like" and I give do follow links.  I process all submissions quickly.  Please only Home improvement type of sites.  buzzsawmill.com

3. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years ago

I have a single hub which has had 6000+ hits from StumbleUpon, although I did not create the bookmark and have no idea how many of my other hubs are bookmarked there. I would suspect that I got lucky, I have to acknowledge that the hub was highly unique and one of my very best.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Did you get any clicks or sales out of the 6000 hits?

1. profile image0
          ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't know how to work that out Marisa to be honest... it also has substantial numbers of visitors from other sources..

But it is getting me around 75-100 page views per day from the site, consistently for the last 2 months or so, I would expect at least some sort of earnings associated with that sort of traffic.

The total page views for that hub are in seven figures, so I guess it is impossible for me to tell.

Well, if such a huge spike had made even a little difference, you'd expect to see a bit of a spike in your income for that day.  It was easy for me to see, because my pointe shoe site is fairly new and not getting a lot of traffic yet.

I'm going by comments from people like Mark Knowles and Misha, who say it doesn't convert. No harm in having your site on SU, but it's one of those sites where you also need to spend time interacting, and that's time that could be better used elsewhere.

1. profile image0

Marisa, the hub in question did not get 6000 page views in one day from StumbleUpon (and I just checked, it is over 9000 now).... it gets around 75-100 per day and has been for months.

That his the equivalent of 0.51% of that hubs total page views since publication, and about 0.75% - 1% of that hubs average daily page views this month.

Like I said, impossible for me to analyse. I cannot ascertain in any way whether a hubpage with nearly 2 million page views has benefited from 9000 of those page views.... I wish that I could, but I just cant. All traffic is good in my eyes though, one of those people may have shared it elsewhere, with people who may have shared it elsewhere, etc etc etc. It has dozens of organic backlinks and only a couple created by me.

It is a beast which I cannot contain or understand. I just wanted to point out that I have had traffic from that site... I have never even visited it for more than a minute or so and haven't used it myself.

2. profile image0

According to 'AdSense Referrers' on Analytics, the CTR for traffic from StumbleUpon to that particular hubpage is approximately one third of the total CTR for that page. So yes, a relatively low CTR, but any CTR is good enough for me when it is effortless and consistent....

Ryan, I don't think your experience is terribly relevant anyway, because you're getting the benefit of someone else Stumbling your Hub.

The "Stumbleupon is a waste of time" statement comes from the fact that SU is like every other bookmarking site - if you just bookmark your own sites, you'll get banned.  So you have to invest time to stumble and favorite several other sites for every one of your own.

When you add up all that time, and look at the conversion rate of the occasional traffic spike it creates, it's not worth it.  But if someone is getting SU traffic without any effort, like you, it's a bonus!

4. TerryGl profile image56
      TerryGlposted 13 years ago

Hi Ryan, if you have the SU toolbar installed you press Info and it will show you how many actual visitors you had to the page and people who gave it a thumb. That may help you narrowing down your actual SU visitors.

1. profile image0

The StumbledUpon toolbar? I don't use that site TerriGI, think I have an account, but I didn't actually submit the link. As per above, that hub gets so many hits from so many sources that it doesn't really interest me too much... I personally only use DoFollow sites, and I believe that StumbleUpon is nofollow?

5. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 13 years ago

Its pretty accepted theory that tons of non converting viewers leads to adsense smart pricing.

Non-targetted, non-converting viewers can lead to loss of earnings.

With ePn for example - you are likely to social traffic yourself into being booted from the program - lots of clicks , little conversion - means your not valuable real estate to the advertiser and your sending non-desirable traffic.

Adsense is more forgiving - but Ive found that when I removed my adsense id or deleted hubs and articles that had high traffic, low conversion - my overall price per click jumped and my overall earnings jumped also.

For example with Ryans reported traffic, i would easily expect close to $150-200 day in AdS with my current averages per 1000 viewers.

For every type of traffic there is an approach that can be used to convert monetize and funnel - but each rev model isnt always best approached the same.

I would try and funnel those hundreds of viewers to an impression based article site ..so the conversion rate wasnt my problem

6. brettb profile image60
      brettbposted 13 years ago

I've tried shetold me and all the others and they seemed a waste of time. Tweeting seemed to be rubbish as well.

The best links are those that other people randomly make to your hubs. Write good hubs and they will come. My best hub had a few new links just randomly put in from blogs and other places and Google must have liked that as the traffic has gone to the moon!

I've never built links to some of my pets pages on my own site yet I in the top 10 for a load of good pets keywords.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)