Pharisee and sinner in the temple

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

Let me paraphrase, Jesus spoke of the pharisee and the sinner praying in the temple, and how the "Holy one" was praying,
        "Thank you Lord for ..not.. making me like HIM." 
         As a believer I must remind myself that it is easier for a sex maniac to resist his temptation, than it is for me to resist being self righteous.
        I really do believe that "Self righteousness" is a greater sin than fornicating. Jesus said that one sin is no greater than another for they are all a form of disobedience ..BUT.. fornicating, I do not believe, is not as damaging to others   as self righteousness. What do you think. I think that all of us need help and somebody needs to pray for us all..

1. atomswifey profile image58
      atomswifeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, you posed there the fact that Jesus Himself said it that no sin is greater than any other. So that is what it is.
      I would agree however that "self righteousness" is really very wrong and I feel it greatly interferes with ones ability then to ask for forgiveness if that one is so self righteous he or she does not see that need or requirement to be forgiven for anything.
      so in that way, it makes them just as guilty as the non-believer. And in that sense to it does make the sin of self righteousness greater than that of fornication but only to the extent that if I as a Christian commit the act of fornicating, I recognize I have sinned and will ask for forgiveness whereas the self righteous one would not recognize sin in themselves etc. thereby they would not ask nor recieve that forgiveness.

Now in reltaion to the pharisee being self righteous he did not know he was sinning just as the nonbeliever does not recognize sin.
      I pray and thank God at times that I have the faith in Him that I do. I thank Him for giving me the eyes to see and ears to with. I thank Hom for the knowledge that I have about the gift of salvation. does that make me then, self righteous? I don't believe so. since I usually ask for forgiveness for my sins whether they are revealed to me or not. Sometimes I might sin and not just then know or realize what I am doing. Like when I'm speaking to someone or debating with them. Am I sinning? I would hope not, but I just don't know sometimes if I have crossed a line somewhere. I do a sort self check and decide it would be best to ask the Lord to forgive me as I don't want to sin, I want to remain faithful and clean in His sight. Not becuase that makes me better than anyone else, but because I love Him.

In conclusion let me say that I from time to have gotten into serious debate and discussion in these forums with nonbelievers. I do not insult them or othewise look down on them for their disbelief. I feel somewhat sad for them and I pray for them to open their hearts to God, but I do not look down on them. "All have sinned and fallen short.."
      I sin just as they do, does that make me any more "saved" than they? no, that doesn't but I believe my faith as opposed to their lack of it, does. And thats where my sadness for them comes in. I love people. I really do. I have a very caring nature for people. I do not want to see anyone die in their sin, not knowing and disbelief. It pains my heart to think of those that might have.

But I try to be very respectful of other people as well regardless of the fact and somewhat too because of the fact they are nonbelievers. Jesus said "they will know you by your fruit.."

2. Make  Money profile image67
      Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you Jerami, all of us need help and we need to pray for each other.

My God, I believe, I adore, I trust and I love Thee! I beg pardon for all those that do not believe, do not adore, do not trust and do not love Thee.

O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, lead all souls to Heaven, especially those in most need of Thy mercy. Amen.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

For some one who thinks self-righteousness is a great sin - this is unbelievably self righteous.

From both of them. Gotta love the way Jerami says he knows better than what Jesus said.

"Jesus said X, but I believe Y." lol

Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

some people don't be watching what they say.
          I said don't interpret what Jesus said to be  X 
          when what he said was Y
              If Christians had not been taught to "INTERPRET" the word of God, Non believers would not have any amunition to argue against.   
              I have been listening to you guys on your thread. I didn't interupt with sarcastic coments not even once.
             Christians should not pray for you, for you to hear.         Christians should learn to not argue at a brick wall.
             Christians should not be a brick wall
             Christians should not talk  "at"  non believers. 
             If we were to do these things then ??  what ???

Everybody is doing what they have learned to do. Where did they learn it from?????

1. earnestshub profile image80
            earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well religious people learn hate like this from their bible!

"I will sweep away everything in all your land," says the LORD.  "I will sweep away both people and animals alike. Even the birds of the air and the fish in the sea will die.  I will reduce the wicked to heaps of rubble, along with the rest of humanity," says the LORD.  "I will crush Judah and Jerusalem with my fist and destroy every last trace of their Baal worship.  I will put an end to all the idolatrous priests, so that even the memory of them will disappear.  For they go up to their roofs and bow to the sun, moon, and stars.  They claim to follow the LORD, but then they worship Molech, too.  So now I will destroy them!  And I will destroy those who used to worship me but now no longer do.  They no longer ask for the LORD's guidance or seek my blessings."   (Zephaniah 1:2-6 NLT)

Gotta love that! lol

2. frogdropping profile image78
        frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Please don't apologise on my behalf. Thanks smile

Or mine either! smile

2. Jerami profile image58

I must say also that I was not speaking of anyone else other than myself when speaking of self righteousness.

3. Jerami profile image58

@ Adamswife. You just about covered what I was talking about. The old adage comes to mind. we should remember that when we are pointing our finger at someone else there are three pointing back at our selves. sometimes talking to a nonbeliever is a good thing. They cause us to examine why we believe thereby understanding ourselves better.

1. tantrum profile image59
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agree.But all believers should think first before answering. It's nice to believe. And it's better not to think much in what you're believing. It will take all the magic and all your happiness as well. Not good ! smile

Tantrum you are  correct. It sometimes seems that life is one big oxymoron. Bible says we should be diligent spread the word and yet maybe we should read Ecclesiastes more often. It's all vanity , lets eat drink and be merry. The most important???
           EVERY THING IN MODERATION. I don't know ???

1. tantrum profile image59
          tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile

I hadn't realy thought about it all day but It just hit me like a rock!  You just said a verry deeply subjected , multipurpose TRUTH. Thanks

4. blue dog profile image60
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

wooo hooo, more religion.  one would think that, after working overtime yesterday (your sabbath, i think it's called) you zealots would at least have taken today off.   but noooo.  here we go again.

There has gota be a thread someplace that might be more intresting to ya ?? But if you need to talk about your issues we can do that for a while or start another thread about it and we will meet ya over there.

5. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

If I ever get this pathetic. PUT ME DOWN!!! lol

1. profile image0
      pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's like a virus over here in the U.S.

Swine flu is WAY less scary. yikes

I agree! We have our share of religionists here in Australia but they are less likely to speak outside the church offering prayers or scripture. Australians can be a bit coarse when dealing with god botherers at times, as we have so many religions, most people keep it to themselves for that reason too. It is very un-Australian to ram religion down the throats of others! lol

1. profile image0
          pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wish it was more like that here. It used to be considered bad manners to blather on about your religion all the time. Now people will say anything to anybody.

I once had to work with one. After sharing his car for two weeks going to work, I broke my leg to escape him! smile

6. Jerami profile image58

your interpretation of what Jesus says = X and I say Jesus does not need interpretated.

1. profile image50
      radorthposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If we are self-righteous, we don't fully understand the Gospel.  Why would we need any righteousness of our own after what Jesus did?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)