Are Facebook and Twitter worthwile ways to drive traffic to a website

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (18 posts)
  1. surf traveler profile image77
    surf travelerposted 13 years ago

I joined up with Hubpages a week ago, originally just to build links to a website I started 2 months ago. Now I'm enjoying Hubpages and the freedom to write about other topics that interest me and have adsense and amazon earnings as well.
    As for promoting websites, I haven't used Facebook or Twitter for traffic building. I keep hearing how important they are to build up traffic, but am concerned they will become a big time-suck.
    Can anyone share personal examples of how Facebook or Twitter helped to build up traffic with a new website? Thanks.

1. nikitha p profile image37
      nikitha pposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think Facebook and Twitter are most useful for getting traffic to a website.If you have more  followers and friends you will get more traffic.

2. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
    Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years ago

If you have a lot of followers on twitter that are actually interested in your niche and want to read the content you publish, then the traffic is somewhat good. Same is with FB!

But if I have time I will spend it trying to optimize my hubs for search engines instead of twitter or FB.

And, welcome to HubPages ST! smile

1. surf traveler profile image77
      surf travelerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the welcome UH.
      I'm enjoying this HP community.  It feels like my time would be better spent working on HP.  Still open to the idea of FB and twitter, but don't want to waste several hours a day, that could be better spent here.

3. vanchen profile image69
    vanchenposted 13 years ago

I find the traffic can be good for both sources, but will hardly ever result in clicks.  That's just from my experience and that's from me spamming my news feed.

I'm sure if you found a group that is specific to one of your hubs you could get some more quality traffic.

4. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

To be honest I would say don't bother. Facebook is warm sector advertising for most people (inviting real life friends to join is a no go) and Twitter has only recently gained my interest because of 're tweeting' which gives you the chance to earn a  cascading effect of traffic and possible backlinks.

5. surf traveler profile image77

Thanks for the feedback thisisoli and vanchen.
    Vanchen as a % of time working on web, how much time do you spend on FB and Twitter vs HP?

6. maruthirp profile image60
    maruthirpposted 13 years ago

I dont think it is worth while using facebook for traffic but twitter may help in some way. When we tweet some thing that will be captured by many other web sites and they display on their sites.

7. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Aside from traffic generation I recently stumbled upon a different method of using FB and T and other social networking sites for making money. Too long to explain here, I wrote a hub about it. smile

8. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Yes...if you have a network of followers on each site! and tweets set up with hashtags and facebook pages all pointing to your best pages elsewhere!

9. Neil Ashworth profile image42
    Neil Ashworthposted 13 years ago

I have used both Facebook and Twitter for traffic for over two years and have had different results from both in terms of ROI. As with anything and everything online, things change very fast in terms of terms of service so what worked last year on FB may not work today - the same said of Twitter.

Natural search is where you should be aiming - good SEO, a clear backlinking strategy and ongoing effort (ouch!!) the part most people leave out.

One tip for Twitter though, which does work (I've done this for over 6 months using various tools and seen massive results) - purchase a copy of a tool called tweetsbot (there are others but this is cheap and a one time payment) - around $50 I think - and use the supertweet function to tweet people an auto-reply for set keywords they tweet. Refer them to one of your articles related to their tweet - this isn't seen as spammy and can generate a lot of re-tweets if your content is good . set this one and leave it to run and it'll bring you constant traffic from a genuine source. Will it convert to clicks? Maybe, maybe not - but it will indicate to the search engines that your article is popular, raising it up in search for specific searches.

1. soni2006 profile image77
      soni2006posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Neil, thanks for this incredible idea. I will check out tweetsbot. I think it will work well. I understood your concept.

10. profile image0
    WizardOfOzposted 13 years ago

You could also set up a feed from a blog or website to post automatically to both twitter and facebook.  You can do this for free and the time cost is almost nil.

11. Joe8943 profile image63
    Joe8943posted 13 years ago

I've seen decent results from FB when I first launched my page I gained a nice number of fans but it quickly died down.  My FB followers read my articles but I don't have a lot of ways to continue gaining fans on FB without paying for advertising which I don't think is worthwhile.  Maybe as I continue to build traffic and fans on HP I will gain more in other areas such as FB

1. profile image0
      WizardOfOzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It depends what you have to offer.

Try networked blogs on facebook.  If you do want to use facebook that is.

I agree, facebook will not capture a ton of traffic and/or conversions immediately but if you go about it in the right way it is only a small investment of time and once it is done, its done.

12. surf traveler profile image77

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll look into the networked blog idea on Facebook today.

13. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 13 years ago

Facebook has the potential to be as nearly as important as Google for driving traffic.  The news feed is very similar to the search results.

14. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Facebook brings traffic when I share my hubs. I don't use twitter all that much, but usually when I do use it, it draws a few visitors. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)