I picked up an amazing domain

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (39 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Today I picked up the domain www. quotationsquotes.com

Don't bother visiting it, its not developed in the slightest.

The CPC is very very low. But if anybody wants to search 'quotations quotes' in the google keyword tool... you may see why I am so excited smile

Thats going to be my new little project once I can come up with a decent template which disguises the fact that it is hosted by blogger. I'm aiming for a top 50,000 Alexa ranking!

The intention is to drive traffic to Amazon through capsules and to Hubpages through blog posts, if I achieve decent traffic I am also going to set up an aStore selling quote books etc. I actually get decent traffic on my hubpages quote hubs, very little by way of AdSense or Amazon revenue, but that is a bridge that I will cross when I come to it.

For those who don't want to bother heading over to the Google Keyword Tool, it gets an estimated 550,000 global monthly searches. I will probably need hundreds of strong backlinks to achieve first page status, but I'm game. I have of course reserved all very similar hubpage URLS!

Do you like the domain?

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Ryan,

I don't want to rain on your parade or anything, but - you might want to narrow that down to "exact" instead of "broad."

Left hand side, underneath "Match types".

And your top competition (first five) are all PR6 or PR 7 . sad

First result has in excess of 300,000 incoming links and 170,000 indexed pages. I wouldn't waste my time going after this. You might be able to rank - but it is not going to be easy. Current experience tells me you need at least first 3 to get decent traffic.

I would absolutely not waste my time until I had already decided on realistic monetization either. I have made that mistake before.  sad

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lol, no that does not rain on my parade, or piss on my bonfire, or any other phrase you may wish to use....

In fact that opens up a LOT of doors for me. I never knew that you could change from broad to exact. Spending $10 to find that out will be the best $10 that I have ever spent smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
          Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In that case - my pleasure. Made the same mistake myself. When that 500k turns into 700 instead........ And Nelle is giving good advice also. big_smile

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I do not. But, then again, I don't go searching for quotes or even quotations quotes. hmm

1. profile image0

Thats all good, I am really happy with it. And a lot of people do search for quotes, my quote hubs average about 15-20 page views per day each, one of them gets 200 a day.

3. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

Congrats! I hope it works out splendidly for you!

4. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

Ryan, you're always on top of things.  I have no doubt that you will achieve this in an amazing short period of time.  I bow to you, Guru!!!  Congrats on the beginnings of realizing your dreams!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/tonyIII/Buddhism/Short_prostration_animated.gif

5. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

I am glad you are excited and I would say I hope it works out for you but since you seem to have a golden thumb and some really great knowledge about how to make these things work I will just say Congrats.

1. profile image0

I put the chances of success at around 25%. That is based upon only 1 of my existing 4 developed domains making any money at all lol

But you have to speculate to accumulate wink

6. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I actually do search for quotes, particularly when I'm stuck trying to get through an article's introduction, so I'm sure I'll be a frequent visitor once it's up and running. smile

I would bet navigating your site is going to be tricky if you try to do it just with categories. I just posted on another thread about a pretty good Blogger template I just started working with that has a pretty in-depth navigation system. The template name is Revelation-Church, I think. Let me know if you want to see it on a live blog. You seriously wouldn't know it's Blogger. I also like Arthemia and Zinmag-Primus, but both of those are magazine-style layouts.

1. profile image0

I have bookmarked this thread, and will no doubt ask to see that very soon wink

I am interested in seeing whatever it is that anybody has to make Blogger more user-friendly. I bought the domain through blogger, silly me... that means I can't go back now.

2. profile image0

Feel free to show me the blog by posting it here wink

If your ready for that sort of exposure of course! Otherwise, I will email you. You now have me intrigued!

1. lrohner profile image68
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ryan--Drop me an email.

1. profile image0

Irohner, I am currently looking at a demo of Revelation-Church, and I really like it.

I really have to go to bed, so I will drop you a line tomorrow wink

I wouldn't want to use it if it puts you out though, you must feel like this template is now 'yours'.

I take it that its easy enough to set up? Anyway, many thanks for that, I think that its a 'go-er' if you are happy for me to use it.

Speak soon, zzzzzzzzzz

1. lrohner profile image68
            lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Feel free to use it. Our sites are on two completely different subjects, so no worries. (And I'm pretty familiar with its code now if you need help.)

I've also got a live demo of the Arthemia theme (though it's on WordPress, but the same template is available for Blogger). It's got a bit more limited navigation(although it does have a nice menu bar), but it's got a nice space for Headline and Feature posts.

Building the menu on RC is pretty easy, and I can very quickly get you up to speed on that, and there are just one or two other simple changes you might need to make. I'll fill you in on those as well.

7. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Quotes is good as people are always looking for quotes from films and other places and I'm sure there is an affiliate for quotes......let me look in my affiliate archive!

......affiliate.sharpestquote.com

Obviously there is the age old angle of getting quotes for jobs or loans or quotes for this and that which does expand your range too!

Good luck!

1. profile image0

My only objective is to create a traffic monster. If I can achieve the traffic then I will worry about the monetisation!

1. profile image0

That said, I would take 1000 page views per day at the moment!

8. Lily Rose profile image85
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

I like the domain, Ryan.  It's great because you'll capture both the quotes and quotations searches, right?  Good luck with it!

1. profile image0

Well thats the hope, but it seems that people really do search for terms including both of the words 'quotations quotes'

I have just installed analytics, I hope that have a few posts up within the next week or two, time will tell!

$10 isn't a great deal to lose if it all goes horribly pear shaped lol

I am also prone to believing that my domains are great, and later realising that they are rubbish...

9. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

Good luck with your project. I have to admit that I always do monetization strategy first. And please don't forget that Amazon is one of the WORST affiliate programs to deal with. There are thousands of better programs, with 30 day cookies and 10 to 15 percent commissions. Just becaus HP has limited your options, you shouldn't.

If HP is your first online experience, you might not have a good perception of the affiliate space. Most super affiliates (10,000 a month in commissions) that I know, don't go near Amazon, ebay, adsense (or Clickbank).

But your own website is an important step and a good one to be taking. You've got my email, if you want to chat.

1. profile image0

Many thanks Nelle, I really appreciate that. I have a busy couple of weeks, but would be really good to touch base with you after that.

Anyway, its now 'AM' so time to hit the sack!

10. Lily Rose profile image85
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

Well, I hope that your excitement is right on this time!

11. Don Simkovich profile image61
    Don Simkovichposted 13 years ago

This is a good post to remind us that starting with specific niches and domains are good, basic ways to build an online business. Quote books are popular - and have been for years. They can be subdivided, too - into their own separate books I'm sure. There are probably quote books just on Yogi Berra (former Yankees for non-baseball types) Ronald Reagan and many others.

Good job.

12. travelespresso profile image68
    travelespressoposted 13 years ago

Ryan this is fantastic news.  I wish you all the best with it and I know you will do well as you already enjoy (or appear to) writing about quotes.  I'm happy for you.

One thing you said earlier which has intrigued me though.  You said you bought it through blogger silly you (or some similar words).  Why is that silly?  A few days ago I bought my first domain through blogger!

13. travelespresso profile image68
    travelespressoposted 13 years ago

Ryan this is fantastic news.  I wish you all the best with it and I know you will do well as you already enjoy (or appear to) writing about quotes.  I'm happy for you.

One thing you said earlier which has intrigued me though.  You said you bought it through blogger silly you (or some similar words).  Why is that silly?  A few days ago I bought my first domain through blogger!

14. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I don't believe that it is easy, or even possible
    To transfer the domain to another host. Which means
    I am effectively stuck with blogger hosting.
    It is not possible to sell a blogger site of course,
    Unless you sell your whole blogger account. So if
    I end up with a pagerank 5 website on the first
    Page of google... I will be chained to it indefinitely
    What I should have done is taken a punt on wordpress
    Hosting and registered the domain through godaddy.
    I'm not maoning too much though... Looking forward
    To getting stuck in. Sorry about the post, this
    Forum isn't blackberry friebndly.

1. travelespresso profile image68
      travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah I see, thanks.

I thought that once you had set up a domain then you were free to transfer it to another site.  I could be wrong but I hope that's right for both of us!

15. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

Blogger uses enom for domains. Hopefully, your log in details are the same should you ever choose to transfer.

If you create the site at blogger and you want to transfer the content, you can simple "export" a backup - Then import the backup right into a new wordpress install.

I would have trouble figuring out how to monetize such a site, but I dont have direct experience with quote searchers.

I just expect that its a "free" traffic crowd.

I would look for affiliate programs that are pay per impression or consider using timed interstitial ads - keep in mind, these networks would require that your site is self hosted.

theres nothing worse than successfully creating a "traffic monster" and then realizing its difficult to monetize, I know this from sad experience sad

16. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

I believe this is the app manager for google purchases domains

https://www.google.com/a/cpanel/domain/new

17. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I love it when you find the perfect domain, good luck mate! smile

Remember to sign up to my site soon, get some promotion underway tongue I am expecting a pretty big PR jump when it comes to the Google update!

18. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 13 years ago

Man... You're making me want to set up my domains. I've had some for over 2 years. I haven't had time to set them up... Or rather my dad hasn't had time. I have them all drawn up with categories and everything. He just has to put them to code.  I want to transfer my blogs that have shared percentages of earnings (like HP) to my own domains.

I also need to purchase a new server, as his is messed up (able to hold existing things, but no new things can be added).

19. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Whitney, I would suggest hostgator, tehy seem to be doing pretty well for me right now!

I used to be with servage, but have been migrating away over the last few months!

1. Whitney05 profile image82
      Whitney05posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would rather own my own server... I don't trust other places to host my stuff.. I mean I copy my hubs to docs bc you just never know. Same things happen with your own server too, though... So I don't know... I need to do something, as I know I can make more with my own sites than the shared percents with the other blog site I use... I do decent with them, but would be more motivated to get more links, write more, and whatnot if I knew I was getting 100%

20. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

I also would keep your next website idea under your hat. My flagship websites (where I put my best ideas) are my most closely guarded secret. Probably my lawyer, accountant, and husband are the only 3 other people who know them.

21. SunSeven profile image62
    SunSevenposted 13 years ago

Thats great Ryan. I bought one recently too. iworkathometips.com
    But still cannot find time to do anything further sad
    Best Regards

22. themist profile image59
    themistposted 13 years ago

Sounds like a great domain name. I search for quotations and quotes all the time. Best of luck!

23. jaymelee23 profile image66
    jaymelee23posted 13 years ago

Ryan, you should try out Market Samurai and watch all the videos that come with it. I found the tool and videos very helpful when I started keyword research a few years ago. The software has an SEO competition thing that generates a graph to to help you understand why the top 10 sites are ranking for a particular keyword or keyword phrase. I think they offer everything for free for a specific time period to try it out. Maybe 2 weeks? It'll help you also figure out a rough idea of how many backlinks that you might need to give you a boost if you fall on the second page right after indexing. Here's a very good video about keywords and if you want, you can watch the other ones on the right hand side. Also, the page has everything typed up if you'd rather skip the video and just read it below the vid. box. http://www.noblesamurai.com/dojo/market … ompetition

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)