Define quantum physics, in layman's terms, please

Jump to Last Post 1-30 of 30 discussions (47 posts)
  1. SparklingJewel profile image66
    SparklingJewelposted 16 years ago

on the religion forum I was describing what I thought was quantum physics...that the universe is accelerating and expanding in a spiral. Is that quantum or something else or combination of things...?

2. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Jewel,

I think it is on the opposite side of the spectrum smile It talks about particles of which sub-atom particles consist of I believe...

SparklingJewelposted 16 years agoin reply to this

...other side of the spectrum?...meaning?

3. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Not extra big, but extra small smile

4. protjack profile image60
    protjackposted 16 years ago

Quantum physics is a set of laws believed to be followed by all things in universe, but is generally particularly apparent on the scale of atoms and such. Therefore, what you described is probably more in the field of relativistic physics (we could put some arguments here regarding what I just said, but more or less and trying to be short - you were not speaking about quantum mechanics phenomenon). Maybe it's best to say, in the end, that it's a combination of things. Hope this helps smile

5. SparklingJewel profile image66

I appreciate the attempts to help. The things that I have read through the years have developed a "life" of their own in my memory, not remembering specifically where each component came from, let alone able to seperate out each !smile
    To really give you a look at that "life" that has developed, here is  a statement/question...
    Everything in the universe, in all dimensions, is make up of light. Light is vibration, there are different levels of vibration within the spectrum of light, that create the colors. You know the rainbow colors are of the white light.
    And sound is vibration, too. So each color has its own sound/vibration ! right?
    So, is this connected to the expanding and accelerating in a spiral universe?

Maybe I need to start a new thread with a different question? smile

1. protjack profile image60
      protjackposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Hi there. Light is the "vibration" of the electromagnetic field and sound is the vibration of particles of air, materials or other media, so it's not the same and you cannot connect it so easily as you have done.

To add one more thing, to the best of my knowledge, the statement that everything is made of light is not nearly true.

Would you explain more or recommend a book or website that would be good for a novice to read and learn from concerning light,color and sound.
        As well as address that everything is not made up of light...what do you mean? any reference to other reading?
        We probably should start another thread with it.

1. protjack profile image60
          protjackposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Well I've studied from books used at college, so you probably don't want that and I can't think of any popular science books on this subject, not familiar with them. Maybe start with Wikipedia.

Well light is photons and there are many other elementary particles like electrons, neutrinos, muons... Universe is made up of all of these, not only photons (i.e. light).

6. profile image0
    RFoxposted 16 years ago

This is complements of library.thinkquest.org:

Quantum physics is a branch of science that deals with discrete, indivisible units of energy called quanta as described by the Quantum Theory. There are five main ideas represented in Quantum Theory:

1. Energy is not continuous, but comes in small but discrete units.
       2. The elementary particles behave both like particles and like waves.
       3. The movement of these particles is inherently random.
       4. It is physically impossible to know both the position and the momentum of a particle at the same time. The more precisely one is known, the less precise the measurement of the other is.
       5. The atomic world is nothing like the world we live in.

Misha is right. Quantum physics deals with the very small not the larger aspects of the universe. They are particularly interested in wave/particle duality. Which was talked about on the other thread briefly. Hope this helps. Need to get some sleep. Good night all. big_smile

1. ZEV profile image74
      ZEVposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Yes, your right, and in particular to my comment on the religious thread; "I take a quantum physics approach to religion" deals with the wave/particle duality. This means that I may be able to experience two realities at the same time. If your looking at heaven then heaven is here and we are in heaven at the same time. That's about as simple as I can explain it.

So, you mean like when someone is in a state of higher consciousness in prayer or mantra, they are experiencing "heaven" while their body is still in this plane. so heaven is here, through this person's consciousness state and fills his electromagnetic field, integrated with the physical state?? or something like that ?

7. About-The-Home profile image61
    About-The-Homeposted 16 years ago

Richard Feynman: Quantum Electrodynamics (QED)

I think it is safe to say that no one understands Quantum Mechanics. (Richard Feynman)

One does not, by knowing all the physical laws as we know them today, immediately obtain an understanding of anything much. (Richard Feynman, Quantum Mechanics)

The more you see how strangely Nature behaves, the harder it is to make a model that explains how even the simplest phenomena actually work. So theoretical physics has given up on that. (Richard Feynman, Quantum Mechanics)

The next question was - what makes planets go around the sun? At the time of Kepler some people answered this problem by saying that there were angels behind them beating their wings and pushing the planets around an orbit. As you will see, the answer is not very far from the truth. The only difference is that the angels sit in a different direction and their wings push inward. (Richard Feynman, Character Of Physical Law)

http://www.spaceandmotion.com/quantum-m … quotes.htm

8. Thom Carnes profile image60
    Thom Carnesposted 16 years ago

Wow!

Now I understand why the late, great quantum physicist Richard Feynman said:

"If you think you understand quantum theory ... you don't undertsnad quantum theory."

9. Peter M. Lopez profile image71
    Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years ago

Read The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene.  It is written for non-physicists and it is really a good read.

10. fxchief profile image58
    fxchiefposted 16 years ago

My father wrote a book on the subject of photons titled "The Incredible Photon" - If anyone is interested. I just started a hub on the subject for him. It starts off with his explanation of why photons are our only energy source.

John

11. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 16 years ago

so quantum physics is like saying, when you sneeze it can effect something either emediatly, like myself, or before I even acknoledged I was going to sneeze and then effecting someone on the other side of the planet, who in turn caused a million people to sneeze one after the other, and then somehow caused an atomic change or shift in reality, which is no different today then it was yesturday, and all those photons or light particals that are reaching us now from space could quantumly speaking have an effect on our behaviors, viruses, and such, but nothing ever changed, it was always there to begin with, it just works in pattens.  Right???

12. Lifebydesign profile image63
    Lifebydesignposted 16 years ago

Quantum has to do with the dynamics and principles of the smallest particles that matter is made up of ie what triggered the sneeze in the first place on a subatomic level.
      The first concept is that there's more gaps and spaces in the world than there are particles. If you were to take out all that space then all the matter in the world would theoretically fit into a teaspoon (and be massively heavy).
      Secondly what determines heaviness and solid matter is the arrangement and density of the particles but the particles themselves are interchangeable and don't really belong to any one particular object.
      Thirdly what we perceive to be reality is only based on what we believe reality to be.  Reality isn't real, it's determined by what we think it is, according to quantum. So a light particle will behave like a particle or a wave depending on what the observer believes light is. If he thinks its a particle, it behaves as such. If he believes it wave, he sees it behave like a wave. Schroeder's cats was a 'thought' experiment on the same thing.
      But in mainstream life it's translating into a kind of everyday language as people grasp the possibilities that quantum is demonstrating. The 'law of attraction' for example is also based on this principle of the observer; you get in life what you believe be it poverty, wealth, whatever.

This is such a big topic- really recommend 'What the bleep do we know' on DVD and it has a sequel 'Down the Rabbithole' - great for the layman and a good foundation for this stuff!

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Down the Rabbit Hole was really good.  Fascinating how observation seems to be the only truth we think we know.  Also fascinating is how just by looking at something we distort reality, or cause reality to shift for no apperent reason.   

Have you ever tried to look at space, and instead of looking at the stars or light objects, focus on the dark matter inbetween?  Looks like either,  we are showering space with light from Earth, or space is raining black waters. 

Anyways, it is a good subject.

1. Lifebydesign profile image63
        Lifebydesignposted 16 years agoin reply to this

No never tried seeing space like 'raining black water' - like that description! must try it!

13. Shaur online profile image58
    Shaur onlineposted 16 years ago

Dr. Richard Feynman, nobel prize winning quantum master, wrote a marvelous little book called QED The Strange Theory of Light and Matter, which I think is as close to a discussion in layman's terms as it gets.  Basically, quantum dynamics is an expansion of the theory of quantum mechanics, which redefined chemistry in terms of the electrical interactions of molecules and tries to incorporate the physics of electricity and magnetism into it, creating a more unified theory.

14. Inspirepub profile image72
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

If you want to grasp Quantum Theory, start by getting a good high school math textbook and understanding probability theory. If you don't "get" probability accurately at a gut level, you have no hope of ever grasping even the first piece of Quantum Theory.

In particular, you need to understand - what is a probability distribution, for example a bell curve, and the difference between probability before something happens vs probability when you are looking backwards in time.

Jenny

P.S. Once you have that mastered, grab Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time" and get your head around that.

15. profile image0

lets say you could wrap your mind around, umm...the now as a quatum physic.  We advanced foward and backwards so fast, we live in the now.  The past and the future exist in the same quantum moments.  We continue on the same forwards, backwards momentum (pun intended) but we aren't fast enough to catch up to the quantum future nor slow enough to catch up with the past.

16. SparklingJewel profile image66

So does quantum theory, or quantum something, have anything to do with a spiral? Isn't the universe/galaxy in a spiral?

In my spiritual studies, I see life as a spiral, ascending or descending. Each year we come back around to the same point on the spiral, either at a higher or lower level of the spiral, hence, experience similar circumstances, awarenesses, tests, initiations, that we have before; except that it is with additional information because of a new higher level, or a repetition at a lower level with just a different circumstance, but the same test to learn.

Like astrology/astronomy, or anything in creation. The same things happen, day becomes night, planets go round in their orbits, summer is after spring, we have our birthday at the same time each year...but all aspects at that point can be different.

or like dealing with psychology and developmental stages of growth. Something happened when we were a child, that created a particular response to a particular kind of interaction...so now every year at that time or every time a similar circumstance happens, we "go into" that response that we had from the initial interaction.

Does anyone else see things in a similar way?

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 16 years agoin reply to this

very similar.  I see the Universe and hidden life like this as well.  But spiritually, we are in the now, next time will be lived in the now.  but yeah, very much like that.

2. Lifebydesign profile image63

I see it as a spiral too- at least in the way that we progress on an individual level (which can be extrapolated on a larger scale to society etc) - but definitely, to me we're always moving upwards.

17. profile image0

ps. Jewel, by now, I mean we only observe in the now.  Like the Universe, we can see the past but we observe it now.  Hope that makes sense.

18. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Spiral in a spiral in a spiral... yeah, definitely one of the ways to describe it smile

yes, definitely

19. PLM profile image60
    PLMposted 15 years ago

The most interesting thing about it is the fact when plugging the formula of relativity into a quantum discussion of travel.  There is the theory about entering the light realm where light weighs 0, the e=mc2 formula still works for light travel and can surpass that speed.  You get into all kinds of great discussions then.

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I would think that in order to weigh absolute zero it could neither be light or without light.  Dark energy or matter seems to be the only thing that can exceed the speed of light.

20. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image61
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years ago

Quantam Physics in layman's term:
    It is like energy is spreading as a bunch. Where the matter works in a duality as wave as well as particle. Encompassed in a wave-particle theory.
    jyoti kothari

21. crashcromwell profile image68
    crashcromwellposted 15 years ago

My question is, if you're driving in a car that can drive the speed of light, and you turn the headlights on, do they light up?

Lifebydesignposted 15 years agoin reply to this

LOL!  Something to consider.
      does anyone know??

22. crashcromwell profile image68
    crashcromwellposted 15 years ago

I think they would light up, but you wouldn't be able to see the light unless you climbed out on the hood of the car and bent over the front to look at them, which, by the way, would be incredibly foolish to do in a car moving that fast. But that's another topic........

Lifebydesignposted 15 years agoin reply to this

oh of course,yeh you're right, and they'd light up at the same time. Just because the car was travelling at the speed of light doesn't mean they wouldn't turn on when they're supposed to.
      I imagine the light would travel at the same speed too right? As soon as you turned them on while the car was travelling, they would light up any objects in its path at the exact same time- that is the speed of light- and not any faster or slower.

23. Pete Michner profile image69
    Pete Michnerposted 15 years ago

Here's a link to the free course ware for MIT's Quantum Physics I for the super ambitious out there. Have fun! smile

24. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 15 years ago

Quantum is what your brain does when it can't find one answer.  smile

25. profile image0
    Zarm Nefilinposted 15 years ago

Quantum Physics is the stuff.

1. thranax profile image73
      thranaxposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I'm all for saying its stuff that hurts your mind if you try to work it out smile

26. mohitmisra profile image61
    mohitmisraposted 15 years ago

Quantum comes from quanta.Simply put earlier on movement of particles was considered either by wave or particle.Now its been realised there is both wave and particle movement.Quanta is particle or packet and it is the study of both,a combination.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Mo - it is Quantum. Not Quantam lol

1. mohitmisra profile image61
        mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Mark corrected the spelling mistake.

27. patnamohan profile image57
    patnamohanposted 15 years ago

You guy are techy!!!!!!!...........

28. guidebaba profile image56
    guidebabaposted 15 years ago
  29. profile image0
    jonaitisposted 15 years ago

Bill Bryson's A Brief History of Nearly Everything has an amazingly readable chapter on quantum physics.

In fact, nearly any science that might be of interest--chemistry, paleontology, geology, physics, biology--is very well covered.

30. profile image56
    naslund26posted 15 years ago

In lamans's terms quantum physics is the study of everything small, for example atoms, particles, newtrons and electrons, the theory of relativity is the study of everything big for example stars and planets, the trick is to connect the two with one another, which can explain black holes. maybe alittle off topic here.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)