What if you were trapped with....THE DEVIL!?!

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (74 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

Now, I know there are many hubbers that are atheists here, but this forum is only for the people that believe there is a god and a devil.  However, if you choose to participate in it anyway, then please go off the hypothetical conclusion that god and satan might be real to answer this question.  Don't say something like well it's probably someone that's insane, as that's not what i'm going to ask.

In honor of M. Night Shamalans latest piece of crap...I..I..I mean movie... Sorry, both seem so similar I sometimes get them confused when it comes to Shamalan these days.  big_smile  Anyways, if you haven't heard about his latest film coming out this week, i'll fill you in.  The premise is simple.  Four random strangers get stuck in an elevator for a few hours, and guess what?  One of them is....THE DEVIL!  Not only that, but the devil is trying to kill off each passenger one by one, and any one of them could be him.  Now, the question I want to ask you is what if it were you.

What would you do if you were locked inside an elevator with three other people, and one of them wasn't who they claimed to be.  What if one of them was the Devil trying to kill you and everyone else there, but you don't know which one it is.  What would you do?  Anyways, I hope you all have fun debating this one. big_smile

1. Dorothee-Gy profile image64
      Dorothee-Gyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think that we all are stuck with the devil, in varying degrees, all our life. Fear is like dancing with the devil, they say, and who is free of fear?

For me, the devil is our dark side, the side we have to keep at bay if we want to live the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth. It is our negative side, the one that is all to fast in judging, that enjoys criticism (of others, naturally), that derives pleasure from getting even with another, from making him feel stupid, small, inferior or not enough.

It is the temptation to make ourselves feel better by talking bad about someone else, the shallow feeling of triumph when we have successfully made someone cringe. It is our fearful side, which is too easily convinced that others are the enemy, that it is better to condemn than to forgive, that there is a real right and a real wrong (and wrong are all the others, sure).

When we are in harmony with ourselves, we are living the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth, but when we get out of touch with our loving nature, we fall prey to the dark side, called the Devil.

So, yes, most of us are trapped with him most of the time...

1. profile image51
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you. One should use one's will power against the evil of the devil and seek help from the Creator-God Allah YHWH to get rid of the devil. This is called Istighfar- getting a cover of one's bad emotions by seeking help from the Creator-God Allah YHWH.

2. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No problem, I always carry of a vile of Queimada. Devil be gone! smile

3. Bredavies profile image61
      Bredaviesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well...thank god I don't  ride elevators. wink

4. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You don't get to decide who responds to your posts.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

you obviously taken what i said out of context because if you had read on, I also said this:
        " However, if you choose to participate in it anyway, then please go off the hypothetical conclusion that god and satan might be real to answer this question."

Like my father told me once (and believe me I don't often agree with him but this I do)..."if your going to quote me, then quote me right.  Don't just take part of what i said out of context and pass it off to make me look bad"  therefore, if your going to quote me, then all i ask is that you POST THE ENTIRE THING AND NOT JUST PART OF IT.  thanks....

2. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Easy.
    He's the one in the parking inspectors uniform. smile

1. profile image0

really? how did you come at that conclusion?

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I live in the inner city for a few years.

Trust me, the parking inspectors are the devil himself! smile

1. profile image0

lollol well i'll be sure to remember that then if i ever run into them.  thanks for the heads up! lollol

A quick tip when dealing with them.

Carry some raw meat when you park, and when they try to book you for being 3 seconds late, throw the meat on the ground and drive of while they're fighting over it. smile

3. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

I have been in this situation for real !!  I was married with someone who appeared to be normal if a little uptight, enough this and that, a good enough cook, sometimes adequate in bed - you know, normal.  Behind the face she was a vicious manipulative bitch who was creating various lies and stories about me to our friends and family, until they were all only her friends and some family even !

Trapped with the devil? get an excorcism, it is called divorce these days.

4. Joe Badtoe profile image59
    Joe Badtoeposted 13 years ago

your plan is flawed

the other three people were aetheists and the Devil got out on the 2nd floor carry a look of abject dissapointment.

However he wandered into the Republican Party HQ in Texas and found lots of fundamentalist christians and boy did he have a party.

5. Joe Badtoe profile image59
    Joe Badtoeposted 13 years ago

'carrying' a look of abject dissapointment!

My fingers are faster than my brain

Yeh, but your brain's still pretty fast. lol lol lol

1. Joe Badtoe profile image59
        Joe Badtoeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

why thank you kind sir

You're welcome Joe! smile I enjoy your wit. smile

6. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I think I prefer the representation of the devil in the Russian book 'the master and Margaretta'. With him its just, try not to be too much of a dick, he has no patience for unpleasant people. Even when people got in his way and he sent them away, away was home. Seriously thats a great book, the devil in atheist Moscow stirring up trouble as a magician with his friends, one of whom is a talking cat. I would hang for a short while with that guy so long as 'Anasuka has not already spilled the oil' (gotta read the book to know what that bit is about)

7. wallabee profile image55
    wallabeeposted 13 years ago

What a shame. I always think that the presises of his movies sound great...and then then last couple have been a disappointment. He was doing so well and now...dunno what's happened to him.

Anyway, the thing is...the devil is a fallen angel, what could you do against him. You can't kill the devil (or can you?). I guess just wait for death, or at least hope that when it comes it would be swift. You could start praying, but since God doesn't answer so many people's prayers, that one might not work. You could pretend to be super-evil, to get on the devil's good side, he/she might think you are like him, a convert and spare you so that you could spread his evil ways further.

8. aguasilver profile image71
    aguasilverposted 13 years ago

I'd start by declaring who I am in Christ, then pray that the other two guys would be open to a bit of instant ministry! smile

9. Joy56 profile image66
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

this is a bit of a nightmare .... Being stuck in a lift with anyone is scary..... but the devil.

i will have to think about this quite seriously.  We are stuck with the devil around us all the time, but in a lift.  I would hope to get out of the lift alive, of course, any suggestions for me.  This is a teaser.....

10. chaosmembrane profile image57
    chaosmembraneposted 13 years ago

I'll take out my crucifix (if I happen to carry one with me, which is as rare as pigs flying lately) and the person that laughs the hardest is probably the devil. Hopefully, it works. big_smile

11. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

It is only a fantacy and has nothing to do with reality.

1. Joy56 profile image66
      Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

that makes me feel better.  O.k. I would use my powers, to zoom myself out of the lift.  You know like wonder woman does.

1. profile image51

In your fantacy you can do anything; like one can do anything in a dream; it may also be called a day dreaming.

1. Joy56 profile image66

thanks so much, i am liking your advice.

12. Disturbia profile image59
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

LOL, trapped with THE DEVIL?  Honey, I was married to him for eight years.

1. profile image51

Who performed the wedding? How did you get rid of him?

1. Disturbia profile image59
        Disturbiaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why we performed the wedding as all couples do, however a friend who was a Justice of the Peace officiated. 

He finally had the good sense to die and go straight back to Hell where he came from.  Of course he left me a rather sizeable fortune... my reward for selling my soul.

1. BRANDONHEATHTART profile image60
          BRANDONHEATHTARTposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"resist and he will flee from you" says the WORD...  WORD, from the greek, is LOGOS - or, logic... funny ..."in the beginning was the LOGOS, and the LOGOS was with god, and the LOGOS, was god. " now, provided there is a God, and I believe so - he is evidently, surmised of the aforementioned LOGOS quote, john1:1, then he evidently built into our conscience his Law, saith paul (ROMANS) and that most definitely is a logical establishment of measurable consequence.  funny how the devil urges people to behave illogically, and atheists are screaming so often about how "the bible is not logical."  well, what they are really screaming is, "i have never really read the bible," or, "i have read it, but I don't read well do to my presuppositions," or, they clearly don't have a penchant for quantum physics - a science that appears to LOGICALLY bridge many gaps between "science" and spirituality.  moreover, being trapped with the devil is a strange concept, as strange as LOGIC for that matter - since not all unbelievers act on their conscience's sentiments - while they purport that faith is illogical.  In such vast universe as the one we "exist" "in", and as difficult as it is to be logical - it appears that the greater strides in being so consistent as to be deemed a logical person is to consider that if you are trapped with the devil, then the LOGICAL thing to do is to simply resist him - as per the biblical mandate - so as to cause him to flee.  if there is a greater cause and effect than the silent treatment, then we all ought be so free - however, pertaining to being trapped in his snare, we all tend to enjoy the fruits of evil for a season, as it is forbidden, and pertaining to the old adage - that is often sweet...but too much sugar rots the teeth - and too little LOGIC rots the soul... LOGIC, how it saved mine...

CORRECTION

...due to my...

or why not - perhaps the do, DO to their presuppositions...LOL

and if they do, the devil may care...

1. Joe Badtoe profile image59
                  Joe Badtoeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

boy am I glad I didn't get stuck in an elevator with you!

I would have killed myself and thanked the devil for watching.

no offence of course.

2. Joy56 profile image66

can you repeat that slowly please

3. Beelzedad profile image59
            Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Please explain how quantum physics bridges the gaps between science and spirituality if you have a penchant? I would like to see your math, too. smile

2. Joy56 profile image66

oh dear you have been hurt

3. profile image0

omg, that's terrible.  you poor girl. I'm sorry to hear your ex- put you through so much like that.  thankfully, you don't have to put up with that anymore.

2. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You so beat me to the punch. You rock.
      I was gonna comment about being married to his sister for a bit....
      lol

13. Disturbia profile image59
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

What would I do if I were locked inside an elevator with three other people, and one of them wasn't who they claimed to be.  What if one of them was the Devil trying to kill me and everyone else there, but I don't know which one it is.  What would I do?

Well I'd just have to kill off the other three people first before one of them got the chance to kill me.  Of course, by doing that, I'd be doing the Devil's work for him.  LOL, wouldn't be the first time the Devil made me do it.

me? HURT?  or Steve?  did i miss that, or did i really come off as being hurt (smile)... but i was just being on topic....yikes...  CLARITYYYYYEEEEEE.  OOOPS.

1. profile image0

umm..why are you bringing my name into this?

2. profile image0

yeah, i'd agree. personally if it came down to mere survival and i had to choose between me or the life of the other people i was trapped with, then im sorry they're going to die.  unless those people are people that i care about or they're just children, then im sorry...i'd kill them before they could kill me.

3. aguasilver profile image71
      aguasilverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually, by the OP rules, you would be the devil!

1. profile image0

actually, the original posts rules were that anyone in that elevator could the be the devil, so you really wouldn't know.  sorry, i guess i didn't make that clear enough.

14. profile image0
    franknhonestposted 13 years ago

How would you know one of them was the devil?

1. luvpassion profile image62
      luvpassionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Use this to find out.

Forces of darkness,
      forces of light,
      pull back the curtain
      to reveal the blight.

Set for destruction, mindless yet cruel,
      We break your commands,
      We shatter your rules.

2. Disturbia profile image59

We know one of them is the Devil because it's a given in the question.

But even if one of them wasn't the Devil, if any one of them were trying to kill me, I'd have to get that one first, devil or not. Hell, I didn't survive foster care, sexual abuse, cancer, and 5 husbands just to give it up in a freaking elevator to some psycho who might or might not be the Devil.

15. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

LOL if his name is Mark, I'd give up my wee jug and find away out. somehow, maybe roast weenies or something, like the other person.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww!  Tell me I misunderstood what you just said.  You didn't just say you'd roast the other person, did you?

1. profile image0
        ralwusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

if it saved me yes. wink

1. profile image0
          King Larryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hey that's cool. i'd do the same thing.  except i'd make damn sure his genitals were still in tact when they found me.  this way nobody can say i was gay or something.  have you ever noticed like carlos mencia pointed to once that whenever you see a bunch of cannibals eating people they ALWAYS eat the man's genitalia even if they're straight?  seriously, i'd starve to death if i had to dine on another man's ****.

1. luvpassion profile image62
            luvpassionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This thread has taken a most bizarre turn. sad

16. CMCastro profile image72
    CMCastroposted 13 years ago

The concept of being trapped in an elevator with the Devil is actually occurring right now. Because of Adam and Eve cast the first original sin in God's newly created Paradise, this makes us all sinners. We have as individuals the potential to be bad or good. Our physical frame here on earth is our own sanctuary where our soul or spirit lives. So what we put into our own personal sanctuary is going to determine what lives in us. Is it the Devil (God created Lucifer, and he became a fallen angel when he chose to reject God's authority), or is it the Image of God's Son Christ Jesus who Is Good and Holy. Being trapped in a confinement such as an elevator is like pushing our inward selves into a place where you have to choose. Sin in us makes us there in that confined place. There is no way out of the Devil's Snare except through accepting Jesus Christ as our Savior and Lord. And once you do accept Christ's salvation you can speak directly to the Devil and his Demons to tell them to Flee in JESUS Name!

OMG, this whole thread is about a stupid movie where a bunch of people are stuck in an elevator with something that is supposed to be the Devil that is trying to kill them.  Nobody in their right mind could take this seriously, and I'd be calling for the guys in the white coats with a straight jacket to come pickup anybody that did, because they would have to be completely nuts to believe in any of this.  I can't imagine the devil having nothing better to do than to waste his time stuck in an elevator trying to pick off a bunch of random strangers.  I'm sure he'd rather send some demons to do it for him.  Now that would be believeable... LOL!

1. profile image0

yeah, this was based off a movie i read about. sorry, i guess i forgot to mention it.  lol

17. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

haha I would nevah! I'd let the Devil eat them. Then get him drunk?

18. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

Was the elevator going up or down?

1. profile image0

does it really matter?  in the movie the elevator is stuck, and isn't moving at all.  why do you ask?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
        Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I ask mostly for the sake of silliness.
        My weird thought was that if you are in an elevator with the devil and it's headed down, you know where you're going. smile

1. profile image0

oh okay.  gotcha!  wink lol

19. profile image0
    alberichposted 13 years ago

I see darkness ahead of me,
    darkness behind me.
    No light anywhere,
    No light ever where

OK, I'm thinking the devil, my dearly departed husband, must be lurking around here somewhere.  Watching... waiting... to see what we are all going to do next. 

I know what we can do in the elevator that will surely get rid of the devil, we can sit in a circle and sing Kumbaya.  Then we can offer up the guys in the elevator so he'll take them and not come after the rest of us. Oh wow, I'm having way too much fun with this.

1. profile image0
        alberichposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well when you speak of him... There are so many ghosts and skelletons in our closets so if  you start to play a tune, the whole bunch will burst out in a long awaited carnival, dancing until they drop dead in dawn :-)

By the way your late husband called me hes allright and you should just go for it, live while you still can. It is  hunky dory, "things are okay";

LOL, if he did call you I wouldn't be at all surprised.  That man was so evil, there has to be a personal Hell invented just for him.  But, he did leave me very well provided for, so I danced all the way to the bank and I haven't stopped dancing yet. big_smile

1. profile image0
            alberichposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As I told You, dance!

And your voice should be heard as a tune in a choir or like a lovers song that echoes out in the world. Because you have god inside of you and may you forbid you to forget!

Quote:
            I stand before you tonight to represent the people who do not count: The poor, the poets, and monks. As long as there are people who are trying to realize the divine in themselves, there shall be hope in the world.

Thomas Merton (1915 - 1968)

20. melsunny4 profile image60
    melsunny4posted 13 years ago

We all have the devil in our lives one way or the other. Some have the devil as family members the others are just surrounded. All we can do is beat them at their game. Blessed be.

21. Diane Inside profile image73
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

He'd probably easy to pick out, I would think he would be the most likeable one, the most appealing one, as he will be manipulative and appear to be on your side.

That's the one I would avoid.

Then pray like crazy for forgiveness for all my sins in case he does kill me, or till God helps me out of the elevator.

22. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

I would turn to the Devil, look him straight in the eye, and say "Mr. Knowles, where is my @#%@^@^ four dollars !?!?"

1. profile image0

lollollol  or you could say something like...b**** give me money!  SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!lol

23. cheaptrick profile image73
    cheaptrickposted 13 years ago

When your trapped with the Devil...you Must dance with him...try to Lead...cause following can get real tricky.

24. A la carte profile image60
    A la carteposted 13 years ago

I guess I would hope the lift started moving before he got to me..because with his powers am not sure there is much else i could do.

1. profile image0

well i know one thing you COULD do to stop him, but it would require me to ruin part of the ending for you though if i said anything.  lol.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)