Are Cheerleaders Underpaid?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (41 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

To be quite honest, I think they are.  However, what do you think?  Are NFL cheerleaders grossly underpaid?  If so, then please say why?  If you think they're not underpaid, then please say why also.

I just think they're underpaid because when you stop to look at all the exploitation and work they go through, it's hard to imagine that some of them aren't even making that much money on cheerleading.  After all, it seems kind of unfair that NFL teams will make a ton of money selling calendars of these same said girls, but the girls rarely reap those same benefits.

1. lady_love158 profile image60
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://www.dallascowboys365.com/uploaded_images/Dallas-Cowboys-Cheerleaders-774956.jpg

http://ask.yahoo.com/20030124.html

They sure don't get paid much but what they do get is exposure (pardon the pun) and the opportunity for appearances elsewhere for pay and a chance to network and make connections in the entertainment industry. If they are exploited, it's because they want to be so I don't feel sorry for them.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
        Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hmm, but that raises the question, why do they want to be?  Could it be because they were raised to think their only value is in their looks?  Could it be because that is where they get the most positive validation, from a society bent on objectifying women?

(Of course it's not that cut-and-dry.  But I think these are important questions to consider.)

2. dutchman1951 profile image60
        dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

When I worked in Dallas, our central Receptionist on our floor was a Cowboys Cheerleader.

She told me she got 15.00 bucks a game, later it was changed to min. wage for the time they were there, and all expenses paid. She was full time for us and the Company granted her personal leave for all the Games. (un-paid time off)

They had all kinds of rules, weight gain, dating, personnel contacts, training etc... She said they had to have permission to do personal appearances and had to report any pay received for activities away from the Stadium etc....

seemed not worth it to me. So yea, probably way underpaid.

Not sure now how they are paid now a days, I am sure it has changed sense Hank Stram passed away. Still hard on those Girls, I'd bet though.

They choose to do it, want it in truth she said.

1. lady_love158 profile image60
          lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

50 bucks a game according to the link to the website I posted.

1. dutchman1951 profile image60

it was back in 78 when I worked there, so its good it improved for them.

I know Stram was a Tyrant, and clamped down on contracts and such.

People down town on the Central Express way side said he was hell on office personnel. According to folks at the time, it was said he supposedly had to be convinced that they, the Cheerleaders were a good idea, according to the Dallas Post.

Later he appeared to really like it,  so who knows.

2. dutchman1951 profile image60

I meant to say Merchison in the above post not Stram

3. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

that's true. that's definitely true.  however, they should definitely get paid more money though.  i mean 500 dollars a season really isn't much compared to all the work they have to put into it with practices and appearances.

2. angela_michelle profile image94
      angela_michelleposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Honestly, I've never really thought about it. But like any job, I figure they wouldn't do it, if they felt like they were not being compensated well enough. They should be getting paid for the calendars that get put out. I'm not sure if they do or not.

2. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 13 years ago

Your logic is flawed.  Instead of paying women more to exploit them, how about we just don't exploit them in the first place? tongue

1. profile image0
      SirDentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.  wink

2. profile image0

yeah, but with all do respect, we both know we live in a society that promotes sex appeal. especially within the united states, AND it's already a proven fact statistically that MEN watch more sports and entertainment venues than women.  therefore, we both know the media and marketing for the nfl is going to do whatever they can to promote the product by any means necessary.  not saying i agree with it, as I think it's wrong to exploit women in any facet.   

That's one of the main reasons why I don't have hubs that are all about showing who the hottest asian girls are, or who the hottest blondes are or whatever.  As I don't condone sexual exploitation of women.  Don't get me wrong, if another hubber wants to do that, then that's their business, but I won't do it.  Then again, a lot of the hubbers that do that often get a lot more traffic and money than i do from this site, so maybe I'm the guy in the wrong here. lollollol

of course that's another reason why it kind of makes me sad that great actresses like Gabourey Sidibe, who I thought gave a great performance in "Precious" last year won't get as many parts for movies as a Milla Jovovich and Pamela Anderson.  Two actresses that are waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy over rated if you ask me.

3. alternate poet profile image67
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would like to agree - but women seem to flock to be 'exploited' by themselves with little or no encouragement - in this case they seem content to follow draconian rules and get paid virtually nothing. There is a fine line between expoitation and self promotion maybe ?

1. profile image0

hmm..thats an interesting analogy.  self promotion..i never thought of it that way before..

3. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years ago

I guess they choose the job so its up to them if they like the pay. I have no idea how much they get paid.

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 13 years ago

If they want to be well-paid they need to get their priorities in order and study a career that, unlike mine, actually pays money. They do work hard, but for what??? So they can get an physical upgrade through plastic surgery, mingle with the high society top-notch artificial breed, and wave a few pom-poms in the air?! Pleeeeease! The whole reason why women are looked at as sex toys is because of women that try to make a career out of showing off their bodies.

P.S. - Although the above commentary is true, I'm also very envious I don't look like them. roll lol

1. profile image0

aw come on klara, i've seen your pic on your avatar a few times, and i think your every bit as pretty as those cheerleaders. wink 

however, to get back to what you said though earlier in your statement, i think you are right.  it's hard to feel sorry for those type of women, as they choose to put themselves into careers that exploit them like that.

1. profile image0
          klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Steve, but pictures are deceiving! I don't look anything like a cheerleader! lol
          smile

1. profile image0

your right.  that picture probably doesn't do you justice. wink

1. profile image0

wink

2. Mighty Mom profile image77
      Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

$50 a game is insulting. It would be better to do it as volunteer work. Or paid union entertainer wages!
      Whether or not you agree with the concept of pro football cheerleaders, they are a fact of life. As are basketball dancers. Not sure why MLB hasn't jumped on the bandwagon (but am glad they have not!).

Sexist or not, they do provide entertainment value for the games.
      How often do you see the cameras pan in on one of the cheerleaders? A LOT.
      These cheerleaders are at least as valuable as players who are sitting there warming the bench. Knowing the ridiculously exorbitant amounts the players receive, I feel the cheerleaders --who definitely help make up the team's BRAND -- should be paid much more.

1. profile image0

well said mighty mom.

3. Mighty Mom profile image77

Maybe they should get agents like Jerry Maguire.
      Or form a union.
      Unfortunately, there is a limited supply of cheerleader positions and more girls (hesitate to apply the word "women") willing to accept the terms and conditions.
      Ergo, there's really no incentive to change the status quo.-)

1. profile image0

yeah, that's true.  plus, seeing as how the whole cheerleader concept is sexist to begin with, i wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there was an age limit on who could be a cheerleader as well.  After all, i know some jobs do descriminate against you once your past a certain age, so cheerleading might not be that much different to where they only hire and employ young girls.  young girls who probably wouldn't know any better.  at least, that's my take.

4. Mighty Mom profile image77

Guess I'm basically making the same point as Alternate Poet.
      Following draconian rules and getting paid virtually nothing.
      Gosh, who WOULDN'T want to be a pro football cheerleader!???

5. gracenotes profile image90
      gracenotesposted 13 years ago

I live in Dallas/Fort Worth.  The Cowboys were the cause of this cheerleader trend, no doubt.  Yes, the cheerleaders are way underpaid for their time.

I personally knew someone who made it into the finals when she tried out to be a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader.  The girl didn't strike me as the type who'd be interested in that job, and she wasn't chosen.

I have always felt the Cowboys cheerleaders took themselves too seriously.  The same thing for the Kilgore Rangerettes, although they're on a collegiate level.

1. dutchman1951 profile image60

Kilgore is more a college tradfition and Sororaties kind of thing, but I am told they leave there for higher asperations....

6. Mighty Mom profile image77

Absolutely! Young girls who believe there's cachet or status or whatever in being a "Cowboys Cheerleader."
      I don't want to stereotype here -- maybe some of them are studying to be astro(turf) physicists.
      Might make an interesting topic to research and hub about: "The psycho-social motivations of the pro football cheerleader."
      lol

7. Mighty Mom profile image77

The Kilgore Rangerettes! Now that's funny!!!
      I guess if you're going to be a cheerleader having a name like "Rangerette" makes it cooler cool

8. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

what the heck is a rangerette?  sounds like a lame spin of power rangers.  lollol

1. gracenotes profile image90
        gracenotesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Kilgore College in Kilgore, Texas.

You've seen the Rangerettes before.  They specialize in high-kicking, sort of like the Rockettes.  Sometimes they've performed at the Macy's Thanksgiving parade.

If there are Texas Rangers, it's only logical that someone would have invented the Rangerettes.

1. profile image0

true.

9. Lifeallstar1 profile image61
      Lifeallstar1posted 13 years ago

One of my coaches cheered "professionally" and she received 50-100 bucks per game(She has a regular job plus she coached and cheered for fun basically). They are college graduates. Luckily they are smart enough not to do the crazy stunts we were doing because it is very risky and to work for basically no money and risk your health is not worth it(risking health for any amount is not worth it). Even though they don't do a ton of stunting and tumbling, they should be paid more. You do not just get picked because you're a pretty face. It's because they are extremely athletic and talented. However, once they hit the pro's they go backwards and do not stunt like they used to. I think the NFL and NBA see liability since it's not regulated strictly like football or basketball. They go back to basic sideline cheer which those cheerleaders were doing much more than that in college or all-stars. Cheer hasn't evolved properly and is held back at the pro level. I think it has to be until better regulations are in place so risk of injury is minimal.

1. profile image0

well said. smile

10. Mighty Mom profile image77

It sounds very Texan, doesn't it?
      Rangerette.
      Or maybe a female Range Rover driver. Tee hee!

I was a cheerleader in high school. We wore blue wool skirts (short but still mid thigh) and blue wool sweaters with white button down collared shirts underneath and saddle shoes.
      Even now I have a hard time adjusting to all the flesh and flash of today's immodest model!

1. gracenotes profile image90
        gracenotesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What's silly to me is that the Cowboys cheerleader uniform is the same as always.  A throw-back to the 1970's.  I think Jerry Jones made them change the uniform to something more contemporary in the 90's, but too many men protested, I guess.  So they reverted to the old look.

Hee.  This reminds me of being a baton twirler in high school.  We wore the silver eyelash uniforms that looked stunning under the stadium lights.  One time we tried to change it up by putting a black satin bow on the back, and our band director wouldn't have it.  He said it reminded him of a Playboy bunny girl.  smile

11. IntimatEvolution profile image67
      IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years ago

Cheerleaders get paid?  Shoot I missed my calling then.  I've got a big mouth, and plenty of hustle.big_smile

Just for note: The MU Tiger cheerleaders suck this year!  They have no spirit.  That's something money cannot buy unfortunately.

1. profile image0

lollol

12. Lifeallstar1 profile image61
      Lifeallstar1posted 13 years ago

Tough crowd! tongue

13. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 13 years ago

Why cleaners are not paid more? Or nurses? Or skyscraper window washers? Supply and demand I guess. smile

1. profile image0

Misha, they need to pay teachers more money! lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)