Should gender matter when it comes to executions?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Teresa Lewis is scheduled to die by injection tonight at 9PM at the Greensville Correctional Center.  She was guilty of hiring two people to murder her husband and son-in-law, while they slept, for the insurance money.  The two killers got life, she got the death sentence.  There have been more than 7300 appeals to the Virginia governor.  Should her life be spared because she's a woman?

1. Don W profile image81
      Don Wposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Killing someone as a punishment for killing someone is nonsensical in my opinion, but what concerns me about this is not that the person is a woman, but that the woman is said to be borderline retarded. Under US law anyone with an IQ of 70 or less cannot be executed because that is considered to be 'severe mental disability'. It's been reported that Lewis had an IQ of 72. It's also been reported that there is new evidence that suggests Lewis was herself manipulated. How true those reports are I don't know, but I think those issues at least warranted a stay of execution.

I find it astonishing that the US State Department can protest against the execution of a woman by stoning in Iran, yet condone the execution of an (allegedly) borderline retarded person in the US. And I don't think the crime or method of execution matters. Killing someone in cold blood for a reason other than defence is either wrong or it isn't. If it is wrong, the state should not sponsor such killing. If it's not wrong, then the state shouldn't protest when others do it.

It can't be wrong for Teresa Lewis to conspire to murder, but right for the state to conspire to murder. Likewise it can't be wrong for the Iranian state to sponsor murder on domestic soil, but right for the US state to sponsor murder on US soil. I find the whole business repulsive, hypocritical and barbaric. Land of the free? Home of the brave? I don't consider killing a possibly mentally impaired human being in an act of state sponsored revenge as particularly liberating or brave.

2. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

No. As a woman myself I've seen some women who would shock you with the levels of depravity to which they'd sink.

I'd almost be willing to say - should men be killed because they're men? Women are meant to be the nurturing ones, while as a society we think more of the men as the abuser. So shouldn't we punish a woman who steps outside that role more harshly than a man?

It's a very sexist argument - what makes either sex worse when it comes down to their criminal acts?

1. alternate poet profile image67
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just going back through the thread and came on this - women nurture and men abuse ??

Did you realy mean to say this, I find it hard to believe from your posts so far that this is how you see society ?

3. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

No gender should not matter. hmm

4. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I agree with you that a woman shouldn't be spared the death penalty because of her gender but I wouldn't punish her more severely because she stepped out of her "role".

1. WryLilt profile image89
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I didn't mean that I think women should - I'm just playing the devil's advocate and arguing the fact that it could be pushed to the other extreme as well.

My personal views are that men and women should be punished equally.

5. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Penalty should be based on the severity of the crime, not the gender of the person who perpetrated it.
    I don't know the particiulars of this case, but it sounds like the two killers copped a deal in exchange for testifying against the woman who hired them.

6. Polly C profile image90
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

No, gender should not be an issue, though I don't agree with the death penalty at all.

Whatever the punishment, it should be equal for both genders.

7. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

if some guy killed me then his punishment should be the same as if a woman killed me.

This shouldn't be hard to understand.

8. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

Well men dress to the left and women dress to the right  . . .

Nice christian morals at work here   -  NOBODY should be executed period !!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)