Where were you on 9/11?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (26 posts)
  1. kimback08 profile image61
    kimback08posted 15 years ago

I was a junior in high school, and during my pre-calculus class another teacher burst into the room and said that "kamikaze pilots" had hit the World Trade Center.  We turned on the television and saw the second tower hit, and the Pentagon.  Where were you?

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

I was home. Saw the first building go down, and it didn't quite register.

3. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 15 years ago

I was in class (in the Netherlands). When I left class, people were huddled around computers trying to get information and see footage. A lot were laughing about it. I quickly headed back to my dorm room.

4. Lady Guinevere profile image67
    Lady Guinevereposted 15 years ago

I was in the living room and was sewing someones bridesmaid dress and just happened to turn the tv on to watch the news.  I saw the second tower being hit and then I couldn't sew anymore.  My daughter was supposed to be comeing home from Chicago then and found that she took the flight the day before.  It took me four hours toget in touch with her sister who was attending WVU at the time to get back tome and she had no idea what happened.  Talk about being on pins and needles for hours and since I am an empath I broke out in tears for all those who had lost their lives in those building.  I had really strong feelings from those who where jumping out of windows.

5. Sufidreamer profile image79
    Sufidreamerposted 15 years ago

I was working in a supermarket. Somebody told me that a plane had flown into the World Trade Center, and I thought nothing of it - I assumed that a little two-seater had veered off course. It was only when I went home and watched the news that I realised the true nature of the deed.

6. BDazzler profile image77
    BDazzlerposted 15 years ago

I had postponed a flight to Washington DC from 9/11 to 9/12 ... never made the trip.

I had just met a nurse, we had a lunch date that day. She was on the list to deploy for back up help. We held each other and told each other it would be OK. (She never ended up going.)

7. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 15 years ago

I was with my mother, flying to India, over Afghanistan at the time.

8. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

I was in Brooklyn, NYC at my apartment there.  My boyfriend at the time called and told me he was walking across the Brooklyn Bridge to get home--that there had been a terrorist attack on the World Trade Center.  He'd never made it to work, because the subways were out.  Outside, there was a lot of ash and papers from the offices that had been destroyed all over the streets even that far away from downtown Manhattan.  People had radios up loud outside on the streets, but at the same time, it was weirdly quiet.

People kept calling me from the Midwest to see if I was OK.  My boyfriend spent the day trying to help his sister find her one son, who went to a private school in Manhattan and was not immediately accounted for (luckily, he was all right).

9. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

In DC. Watching Pentagon smoke across the river from the roof of my then office building... Then having lunch with a few friends in a deserted city...

1. Lady Guinevere profile image67
      Lady Guinevereposted 15 years agoin reply to this

My sister works in the Library Of Congress and usually it takes her about an hour to get home in St. Mary's County, but that day it took her 5 hours just to get out of D.C.

10. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

I cried all day. I had family working there. I didn't want to call home but I did and needed to go to Toronto immediately and help my parents with manning the phone calls duty. Our missing family were in hospital but took nearly a week getting this info. I still break and cry when I think of that day.

11. profile image0
    Rainbow Briteposted 15 years ago

I started to answer this....but then it turned into a hub....so if you really want to know, check out my hub by the same title as this thread.

12. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

I was in a tower block in Farringdon (East Central London). All work stopped and everyone started browsing for details.

13. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image61
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 15 years ago

I was on the other side of the world, in India.  My son phoned me and asked to watch TV.  It was a horrible sight.  The combined effort of thousands of workers, machines and money have gone waste in a few minutes. Those destructive terrorists have no right to live in this world.  Another fact that I heard was the fourth plane aiming the White house fell down and caught fire.. because the people inside fought to their last breath not to hit the white house.   That was why Mr.George Bush was so much enraged.  His reaction to that event ensured that no further terror attack was carried out in America.  Let the whole world accuse George Bush for his actions in the Middle east.  I will only congratulate him.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Bush totally messed this up. He make America more hated...not less. There was no need for another attack, Bush finished their work for them.

1. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image61
        VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Just because the economy get messed up for reasons unknown, Bush need not be accused.  You just call for some economical analysis on the economic slow-down from renowned economists.  If they put the blame on Bush, I will agree.    In my view, the auditors and financial companies should own the responsibility and should not hide behind Bush's shadow.

14. Teresa McGurk profile image61
    Teresa McGurkposted 15 years ago

I was in the classroom at the university in South Carolina.  Like Sufi, I assumed that it was a little two-seater that had crashed.

15. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

I heard about it at work and of course assumed it was a small plane also. I worked in a library at the time. We got a TV and about 5 of us watched everything unfold. I was very scared that day. I had a group of people I talked to online daily and we all got together and got each other through.

16. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 15 years ago

I was getting ready for class in my dorm room while my roommate was sleeping when a friend who lived down the hall knocked on the door. When I opened it, her face was white and she whispered that two planes had just struck the World Trade Center. I said something like "Yikes" - I, too, envisioned puddle jumpers straying off course in the fog or doing some reckless thing and crashing accidentally. Then she told me it was a perfectly clear day and dragged me downstairs to the lounge, where the building janitor and about five other students were huddled around the television, a couple crying, and I realized what had really happened. I missed the towers collapsing because I had gone back upstairs to call my parents, but my mom saw it happen live and I still remember her cry through the phone.

Soon after I had to go to class and I remember it being the most surreal thing ever, because it was Greek - tiny and already close-knit even that early into the year. There were only about 7 or 8 of us in the room and it was obvious that the prof and all but one of my fellow students had no idea what had happened, while I and one other girl were sitting there white and literally twitching with nerves. One of the longest hours of my life. The rest of my classes got cancelled that day - there were a lot of New Yorkers on campus and many were in various levels of hysteria trying to get in touch with unreachable family members - so we holed up with a group of friends in the room of one of us who had a personal tv and did a lot of crying and a lot of talking about what it meant.

17. SiddSingh profile image60
    SiddSinghposted 15 years ago

I came back from my college in the evening, and just by chance, I switched on my TV. I remember it was about 6.45 p.m. in the evening here in India. I watched the breaking news about a plane hitting the WTC. And then I watched the other plane collide with the other tower.

18. needful things profile image64
    needful thingsposted 15 years ago

I first it on a news paper while walking to my 7:00AM class. I just took a cursory glance having no money to buy the paper. And I was thinking who in hell would ram a plane on the World Trade Center.

I reached class and everybody was talking about it. Then it dawned on me that it wasn't a joke. I followed up every bit of new I could of the event. Last time I know... I had a friend working in the building. Fortunately she wasn't there...

19. William F. Torpey profile image72
    William F. Torpeyposted 15 years ago

I was at home watching CNBC on television when the news broke, showing the World Trade Center with a large, gaping hole where the plane had broken through. There didn't appear to be much fire, mostly smoke. I kept waiting for the Fire Department to come and put the fire out. I called my wife on the telephone. She was working at the high school in Darien, CT. Neither of us could comprehend the enormity of the disaster. I videotaped the CNBC coverage and watched the financial news as further reports came in. The world cheered when President Bush said the terrorists would hear from us, but, unfortunately, he bungled the whole thing very badly: The economy is in shambles, and Osama bin Laden is still on the loose!

20. profile image0
    AngryITChickposted 15 years ago

This so strange but I had just come home (Chicago, IL) from having my appendix removed and my grandmother was watching me.  I was 14 I wanna say.  I was fast asleep when she shook me awake and said "wake up honey, this is scary."  i slowly came downstairs still in a little pain from the surgery at sat in front of the TV.  At this point only one tower had been hit.  They kept the live footage up as Peter Jennings continued to report.  I remember how calm he remained even as he watched the second plane hit.  You could tell he was dismayed but staying on point, I thought it was impressive and that day he became my favorite news anchor.  I just remember when the second plane hit I realized this was no accident.

21. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 15 years ago

I was traveling on the downtown Dallas mix-master on the way to work and heard it on the radio.  I arrived to work just after the second plane hit.  We had the TV on in the boardroom and everyone hundled around.  We watched the collapse.  I remember just wanting to go home and hug my kids.  I worked near Love Field where I was used to seeing hundreds of planes in the air.  It was quite eerie to have a sky with no planes. 

Included in a tribute hub to my deceased son, I mention my 10 yr old son's reaction to 9/11.  Check it out if you get a chance.

22. Make  Money profile image66
    Make Moneyposted 15 years ago

A friend phoned me just after the first plane hit.  We were still on the phone when the second plane hit and when both towers fell.  Like a lot of the news reporters said, we also thought they looked like an implosion when each tower fell.  When I heard that all planes were being diverted to Canada I thought of the nuclear plant on the flight path to Pearson airport in Toronto and whether any other planes would be crashed.  We are close enough to the nuclear plant to take any fall out from it if it had happened.  I didn't mention that to her until the next day.

23. lemarquis72 profile image72
    lemarquis72posted 15 years ago

I was just about to go home after finishing my 24 hour shift at the fire station (metro Atlanta).  Immediately I knew the FDNY firefighters were working their tails off and some would probably die or be seriously injured.  Of course at this point it just seemed like a highrise fire, dangerous enough, but not as serious as it was about to become.  After the remaining planes did their damage we were all thinking that the same terrorist acts were about to begin occuring in the entire country's major cities.  Our battalion chiefs began mustering all of our on and off duty firefighters in preparation for sending us to surrounding areas if needed.  Luckily it wasn't needed, but it was a pretty frightening and heady day to say the least.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)