Your input on 9/11, 2001.

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (50 posts)
  1. skperdon profile image82
    skperdonposted 9 years ago

As we all know today is the anniversary of the disaster that happen in the year 2001 on September 11 - the wanton destruction on the twin towers of the World Trade Center and the lives of countless families in America. As a commemoration, can you please share with us where you were, what you were doing and what was your reaction was to this tragedy?

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was at the doctor's office. The receptionist said that we had been attacked just like Pearl Harbor. Afterwards, I went straight home and turned on the TV to see what was going on.

skperdonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was doing a school run when the first plane hit.

2. Cheuax profile image60
      Cheuaxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

One of the darkest moment of the World history. I have always wondered how can someone even think, leave alone organise and execute, such a heinous act?

3. bgamall profile image67
      bgamallposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was in my house when I saw the attack of the second plane. I don't usually turn on the TV that early but I happened to do so that day. I heard Dan Rather say that it looked like an implosion, that there were explosions, so I never trusted the official explanation by the others from the first day. I have been overwhelmingly convinced that 9/11 was an inside job. As the retired late Italian president said, 9/11 was done by the CIA and Mossad. I have been convinced that Richard Cheney, who wanted a pipeline through Afghanistan to his Caspian Sea investments, wanted that pipeline by whatever means needed.

For the peace of mind of the American people I hope not! Thank you for your input bgamall.

2. profile image56
        retief2000posted 9 years agoin reply to this

No, he just wanted to see lots of people wearing foil hats.

4. Silverspeeder profile image60
      Silverspeederposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was in the fire station at work (industrial fire fighter for a large company) with the rest of the crew. We didn't move from the TV all day and the bosses never said a word.
      The Station officer cried.

That about sums it up.

That was how I felt and I wanted to cry too but I was too shocked too. Thank you for sharing your experience Silverspeeder.

5. Judy Filarecki profile image70
      Judy Filareckiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Why has this beautiful discussion of people's emotional feelings regarding 9-11 deteriorated into a bickering session between two people. We don't need more fighting.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

I was on the phone dealing with what I thought was crazy people.  When I walked into my living room, I saw what was going on.  No wonder it sounded like chaos when I was on the phone about a job no less.

I came home from a school run and turn the TV on, during the live coverage, I saw the second plane doing it's damage and couldn't believe my eyes.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

It was my day off from work so I was actually out running errands that morning (Home Depot, post office, etc.) with no idea that anything was going on till I got home and found numerous messages from my wife on the answering machine saying "Where are you? Turn on the TV!" ... I did... just in time to see the 2nd plane hit the Towers live as it happened.

The rest of the day, needless to say, was a bit of a blur.

I can still remember that gut wrenching feeling. Thank you for sharing this with us.

4. lisavollrath profile image92
    lisavollrathposted 9 years ago

I was in my truck, driving to my office at Michaels.com when music was interrupted to say the first plane had hit. I remember thinking that some rich idiot had probably crashed his expensive toy. I was just pulling into the parking lot when the second plane hit. When I got inside, the office, usually very loud, was silent. Everyone was in the conference room, staring at the television. One of our young assistants came out, crying, and asked me if this was the end of the world.

I never went into the conference room. I just couldn't. I went to my desk, and started answering emails. My boss came by my desk, and told me I could go home, but I said I'd stay, so those with children could go be with them. I didn't leave until late in the afternoon, and when I went home, I finally turned on a television, and saw the film of the planes hitting, which was being played over and over again. I cried for a long time.

I went in early to work the next day. We were flooded with emails overnight, from people asking for ideas for things they could make and sell to raise money for those affected by the tragedy. We spent the whole day pulling together ideas, making simple things, photographing them, and posting the instructions. There wasn't much I could do to help people from my desk in Texas---but writing craft instructions? That, I could do.

Thank for sharing lisavollrath. Happy to know that you did something to help that day.

5. CharlieClaywell profile image92
    CharlieClaywellposted 9 years ago

I was on the phone buying tickets to take my then 2-year-old daughter to the zoo. I could not understand why it was taking everyone so long to answer the phone and help me.

Shortly after I was off the phone, my mother-in-law called and said, 'they attacked us."

Then I turned on the TV and started watching the coverage.

CharlieClaywell thank you for sharing with us.

6. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 9 years ago

There's another thread here:
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/124674

Thank you for posting your link Writer Fox, we're sharing our 9/11 experience here also.

7. David Stone profile image73
    David Stoneposted 9 years ago

I was a few blocks away, John Street, in my office when we felt the first plane hit. When we saw burned paper drifting by our 10th floor window, my friend and I went out to see what happened. We were watching the first tower burn when the second jet hit.

My reaction? There was plenty of fear. After all it was in our immediate neighborhood, and we didn't know what it was or if there was more. After that second hit, I saw more people running away than I've ever seen before or since.

But judging by what I remember of my actions the rest of that day and the next few that followed, I'd have to say my most immediate reaction was shock and a good dose of disbelief that helped a lot of us from overreacting.

I kept working in the area, with the site smoldering for months. I'd say it took at least two months for the shock to wear off enough to really acknowledge what happened and how much damage, physically and emotionally, was done.

1. colorfulone profile image78
      colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

For 2 weeks before 9/11,  I was interceding in prayer for the people of New York City, because a friend called me to prayer. He told me that there was going to be a bomb dropped on New York, and said that we needed to pray for the people in NY. Soon after I began praying with him, I knew he was right (though I hoped he was wrong). For 2 weeks preceding, I prayed fervently and I wept in anguish.

On the morning of 9/11 my friend called and woke me up, saying to turn on the television. I was in horror at what I saw, and prayed and wept for many weeks after. I am sure I was in shock, because of how I trembled.

Thank you for sharing your experience and prayers with us colorfulone.

1. colorfulone profile image78
          colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome. smile

2. skperdon profile image82

As I recall there was thick dust and other pollutants in the air for blocks away I hope you took precautions to safeguard your health David Stone. Thank you for sharing your experience.

8. PaigePixel profile image88
    PaigePixelposted 9 years ago

I'd spent the night in Atlantic City with my fiancee for a quick getaway- we both lived nearby and were getting up to go to work from there. Walked out onto the Boardwalk to grab some coffee and heard yelling coming through the walkie talkie of one of the Taj Mahal's staff- a plane had hit one of the trade towers in a terrible accident. We stopped, obviously listening in, and he pointed us to the lobby, saying that it'd be on the huge tvs in there.

Just as we got there the second plane hit and everybody's thinking changed. We hurried back to our room, passing happy people walking along the beach on a gorgeous day... people who had no idea of what was going on just an hour and a half away.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us PaigePixel.

9. Linda BookLady profile image80
    Linda BookLadyposted 9 years ago

I was at home taking care of my children. Homeschooling. When we turned on the TV that morning, we saw the event in progress. We started watching at about the time the second building was hit.

Thank you for sharing with us Linda BookLady.

10. Jayne Lancer profile image91
    Jayne Lancerposted 9 years ago

I was sleeping when my husband phoned and told me to turn on CNN. The second plane crashed into the twin towers at the very moment I switched on the TV. I watched in disbelief, unable to properly realise what was happening.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us Jayne Lancer.

11. Judy Filarecki profile image70
    Judy Filareckiposted 9 years ago

I did a realistic abstract painting of the spiritual remains of the twin towers several yeas ago. I wrote a Hub talking about how the painting spontaneously evolved and shows it's progression.
    if you are interested. I hope this pictures is all right to post.
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/10403046.jpg

Gosh this is lovely! It's a beautifully divine evolution from tragedy. Judy Filarecki thank you for posting your abstract. It's an honor to be able to see it. I love your hub about it too.

1. Judy Filarecki profile image70
        Judy Filareckiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much. It was a painting that was completely unplanned. It just happened and was totally controlled by my emotions.

One can always tell, just by looking at it, when a painter has painted a painting from the heart. Thank you for sharing it on this forum.

12. ecogranny profile image83
    ecogrannyposted 9 years ago

Uncharacteristically that morning, I had turned on neither radio nor television. Thank goodness, because my daughter and her fiancee were flying home from the DC area  on an 8 am United flight. My first wind of the tragedy was a call from her around 9 Pacific.

"Mom." Strained, too quiet.

"What's wrong? Are you okay? Why aren't you in the air?"

"Mom, haven't you heard? The Twin Towers collapsed."

"Oh my God! That's thirty or forty thousand people, isn't it? All gone?" I sat down on the bed. Outside the window, gold and green finches flitted about the birch trees. The sky was blue, the breeze through the screen fresh.

"All those people gone? Their families!" I was crying. "What happened?"

"I don't know, Mom. We're in Kansas City, at the airport. They diverted our flight. We don't know anything. We can't get any news. They're searching our plane. They think it might have a bomb on it."

She and her fiancee were lucky enough to find a rental car within a few days and drive the rest of the way home, safe and sound. Our personal story had a happy ending, but I cannot forget the suffering of all who lost loved ones that day.

I have always wondered at the incredible miracle that the towers were so empty that morning.

A lot of people would agree with you on "incredible miracle" they didn't go to the towers that day ecogranny. Thank you for sharing personal happy ending experience.

1. ecogranny profile image83
        ecogrannyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome.

13. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image61
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 9 years ago

Terrible, painful and too cruel.  I was shocked while watching the horrible scene on TV.  But today we are so happy on one count that Osama Bin Ladan, the master brain behind these attack is killed. Like USA,  we Indians too faced a lot of terrorist attack. 26/11 is the latest.  Let's all stay and voice together against terrorism.

Osama bin Laden has been executed but there are so many more out there. We do have to continuously and cohesively pray and work for peace for us all. Thank you for your input sunilkunnoth2012.

14. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 9 years ago

I was driving to my newspaper office and heard on the radio that the first plane hit.  I thought it was like when the small plane hit the apartment building in Amsterdam a year or so earlier. 
    When I got to my office, the news on the radio said a second plane had hit.  The first thing I thought was, "This isn't an accident.  This is terrorists."
    It was production day at the newspaper, so we worked through the day, keeping the radio on a news station.  We were a small weekly, so we didn't have a TV.  We drove over to the Chamber of Commerce office to watch the President speak.
    I'd lived in the Middle East for four years.  I went home at lunch and put away every Arab item in my house.  That night I turned on the news and saw the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace in London.  Right in the middle of the ceremony the royal band played "The Star Spangled Banner"  and I finally cried.

Now you have me sniffling. That show of support from Buckingham Palace was touching to read about, even after all these years. Thank you for sharing your experience with us Kathleen Cochran.

15. kristyleann profile image60
    kristyleannposted 9 years ago

I was 17. My parents normally took me to school but they were in Cleveland because my dad was having surgery there. My boyfriend had been taking me to school but that particular day I overslept and decided to just stay home.

I generally stayed online when I was at home but I would have the TV on as background noise, but at some point I got bored and turned my attention to the TV and noticed there was news coverage of these two buildings on fire on nearly every channel. I thought to myself "What a horrible accident. I hope everyone gets out okay." (Remember, I'm just a dumb high school kid at this point.) Then when I realized a plane had crashed into one of the buildings I still honestly thought it was an accident. It wasn't until I learned 2 planes had hit that i realized someone had done this on purpose.

When they started saying it was terrorists I was shocked. I was just a dumb kid from southern WV and sure, I knew about all the trouble in the Middle East and stuff but I remember being so shocked and thinking "WE have THIS kind of trouble with terrorists? WHY?" because I honestly had no idea. It just wasn't something I ever heard anyone discuss around here. (But boy, that sure isn't the case anymore.)

So basically I spent the rest of the day by myself watching all the news coverage I could and wishing I had gone to school that day so I wouldn't be alone. My mom called me a few times and we discussed what was going on. I later learned that my dad saw it on the news right before going under for his surgery. He's an ex marine so it didn't rattle him too much but I imagine that's the last kind of thing you want to learn about before a surgery.

The guy I was dating at the time learned about it at his telemarketing job. A customer told him.

I agree with you that was not the time to be alone or the news you want to hear before a surgery. Just goes to show that tragedy can strike without warning. Thank you for sharing with us Kristyleann.

16. profile image56
    retief2000posted 9 years ago

I was at my desk working away when the radio was interrupted with a sketchy report of an airplane crashing into the WTC. The story evolved rapidly until a second plane hit. That is when we adjourned to  the conference room and watched in horror as the first tower fell. There was silence and then the horror of the second tower. I had just been in NYC and had a meeting in the WTC the previous may never imagining that it would be my last one there. I did not know any of the people who were murdered that day in any of the three attacks but I know people who lost friends and colleagues.

The memory of that day still stirs in me.

17. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 9 years ago

I was getting ready for work in the Phoenix, Arizona area, glancing at television, thinking that they were replaying the 1993 WTC attacks. When I got to work, I learned I was wrong.

It wasn't until 10 years later that I finally started questioning the government's conspiracy theory about 9/11. The deeper I dug, the more I realized that we had all been fooled.

The same people who benefited most from 9/11 (the Military-Industrial complex's owners) also own the news media which fed us the lies and the spin.

The single-most potent piece of evidence, for me, was that WTC7 (the 3rd building to collapse in seconds on that day) fell at perfect free fall for the first 8 floors. That means controlled demolition! Because solid steel Never, ever offers Zero resistance as implied by perfect free fall.

http://AE911Truth.org

1. Quilligrapher profile image73
      Quilligrapherposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Greeting Lonestar.

I just thought I would remind you that there is no reliable evidence to support the claim WTC7 "fell at perfect free fall for the first 8 floors." None of the hundreds of theories about the collapse of WTC7 actually contain any solid and conclusive evidence. Each is a mixture of facts, assumptions, uncertainty and other questionable conclusions regarding controlled demolition.

I see you still reference AE911truth.org as an authority on the collapse of WTC7. The web site claims they are “a 501(c)3 educational charity representing more than 2,000 degreed/licensed architects and engineers.” {1}

However, the US Bureau of Labor Statistic reveals there were more than 380,300 U.S. Architects and Civil Engineers in 2012. {2} {3}

I believe it is extremely important that the outrageous claims and theories being pushed by AE911truth.org have not convinced 99.5% of the degreed and licensed architects and engineers in the US.

Do you ever question why no one believes AE911truth.org?

Scientists know the process that is necessary to convince their peers. They present their ideas to other architects and engineers by publishing their data in scientific journals. If their evidence has merit, they will persuade other professionals that they have valid arguments.

MIT Professor Noam Chomsky observed during a lecture on “Policy and the Media Prism” in the fall of 2013, “You’re right that there’s a consensus among a miniscule number of architects and engineers.

“They are not doing what scientists and engineers do when they think they’ve discovered something,”
      he said.

“What you do when you think you’ve discovered something is write articles in scientific journals, give talks at the professional societies, go to the civil engineering department at MIT or Florida or wherever you are, and present your results, then proceed to try to convince the national academies, the professional society of physicists and civil engineers, the departments of the major universities, convince them that you’ve discovered something.” {4}

On the other hand, Richard Gage, the founder of Architects & Engineers for 9/11 Truth, has been selling DVDs and giving speeches for a fee. He “has presented the live multimedia presentation ‘9/11: Blueprint for Truth’ almost 300 times in 28 foreign countries and 82 American cities to groups from 100 to 3,000. He has appeared in more than 300 radio interviews and television spots.” {5}

Hiring actor Ed Asner to narrate the proprietary documentary “Solving the Mystery of WTC 7” was another platinum marketing strategy. Mr. Gage is acting more like an opportunist than like a scientist!
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg
      {1} http://www.ae911truth.org/en/about-us.html
      {2}
      http://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and … itects.htm
      {3} http://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and … ineers.htm
      {4} http://www.rawstory.com/rs/blog/2013/11 … w-physics/
      {5} http://www.ae911truth.org/en/about-us.html

1. lone77star profile image72
        lone77starposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Greetings Quilligrapher.

Remind me? Or make a bald claim without evidence to back it up? Reliable evidence can be found in the videos of the WTC7 collapse. Timing the frame-by-frame collapse is easy, if you have the right software.*

Your reply is full of logical fallacies. For instance, you could only remind me if I had already known the facts of your statement. I never knew your assertion, so reminding me was impossible. Illogical in your first sentence. Busted!

"None of the hundreds of theories?" Again, you make bald statements that exaggerate without support. None? What about NIST's theory? The government agency admitted to free fall, but ignored its implications. Your claim is busted again.

But worse is the fact that your statement of evidence relies on an argument to ignorance type logical fallacy. Just because you don't have the evidence doesn't mean that others do or that some evidence has not yet been discovered. Busted again.

Let us see you punch your fist through a solid steel beam and have the steel offer zero resistance. You're either being naive or worse.

Science and facts are not a popularity contest. Besides, too many scientists have egos and careers to protect. Do you expect a scientist to bite the hand that feeds it? Or risk their career when "everyone knows" that the official story is "true?" Science by ridicule is all too common. Argumentum ad populum! Busted again!

For decades, North American anthropologists suffered under the dogma of "Clovis First," being ridiculed if they dared dig below the Clovis horizon. Now, Clovis First is dead, no thanks to the ones who clung to it as some distorted Gospel. Changes in science come slowly, because Ego is the inertia of ideas.

Chomsky has said a lot about 9/11 some of it self-contradictory -- saying that it would be the most remarkable thing ever if it were an inside job, but 9/11 was really pretty unimportant. It can't be both! Talking out of both sides of his face. I have no respect for the guy.

AE911Truth charges money for DVD's? Wow! How absolutely evil! They should starve or push their theories on street corners for nickles. Again, your illogical response is off target. Busted!

Publish? Yeah, they've published. But some of the places they have not published are owned by the same people who own the Military-Industrial complex. Gee! You think war mongers would allow an article that destroys their $Trillion cash cow? A War on Terror was a master stroke. A never-ending war that can never be declared to end, because the enemy is a nebulous boogie man and they rake in all that money killing and maiming. Cute.

Some people are afraid of the word "conspiracy," until they realize that conspiracies happen every day. Some conspiracy theories are based on fact. As a college professor, I've caught kids cheating on exams together more than once. Small scale conspiracies. To think that large-scale conspiracies don't happen is wishful thinking, at best.

And you merely muddy the waters with irrelevant facts, outright lies, inane quips and logical fallacies.

Not very nice.

* https://youtube.com/watch?v=Rkp-4sm5Ypc

2. profile image56
        retief2000posted 9 years agoin reply to this

It is pointless to argue how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

18. wrenchBiscuit profile image67
    wrenchBiscuitposted 9 years ago

I expect no less from Quilligrapher, as he has proven his skill, and mastery of the English language.

Tyrants, and evil cabals, with the help of accomplished spin doctors have  controlled the mindless masses for thousands of years. The greatest accomplishment of the United States is that it appears to be the first major world power to use the promise of "democracy" and "freedom" , along with materialism, to create a believable, and successful fiction; a "dream" that is now on the brink of realizing a "New World Order" that will usher in a new era of world servitude to  a ruling elite.

Where was I on 9/11? I was in bed relaxing, after servicing my ex-wife. What was my first reaction?  " More innocent people are being murdered". What was my second reaction? "I wonder what the governments true motive is, and how they'll  try to cover this one up."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)