Would you accept ???

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (63 posts)
  1. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 14 years ago

If you're the boss and you had a shouting match with your employee wherein you saw that she no longer has any respect for you as her boss. Later on she tenders her resignation then she wants to revoke it (and apologizes also, by the way) but you already accepted her resignation, would you revoke your acceptance too and accept her back????

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

hell no.  if she honestly had no respect for me, then walked out and quit on bad terms like that, then I sure as hell wouldn't take her back.  no matter what her sob story would be, as i would tell her that i don't care.  don't get me wrong, Im not trying to sound like a jerk here.  however, if you do hire her back, then your basically sending a message to other employees that it's essentially okay to disrespect you and mock you openly because they know they can get away with it.  at least that's my take anyway. smile

emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My thoughts exactly Stevennix.

1. profile image0

that's true.  i guess it's true what they say.  great minds think alike.  wink smile

lol

2. Daddy Paul profile image63
      Daddy Paulposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I never got into shouting matches with my employees. It shows a lack of respect for them. If you hire good people and treat them with respect then shouting will not happen.

Even if she was the one who first shouted at you???

1. Daddy Paul profile image63
          Daddy Paulposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I never had anyone who worked for me shout at me other than to avoid danger. When people are treated with respect they seldom yell. Further if a person feels they are being heard they seldom feel the need to shout.
          Just for the sake of example look at the tea party people. Many say the same thing. Washington is not listening to them.

3. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is such a thing as true contrite regret. If it appears that true contrition is there, I *may* consider letting her stay, but with some very stringent conditions for a specified period--perhaps 6 months or more. If she really wants to come back, then she has to prove it by paying the price of showing respect and being a valuable team player and employee.

If, however, she shows signs of faking her regret, I wouldn't even look her direction. She sealed her fate. Jobs are tough enough to find, so let her go find another. She blew it.

I wished she showed true contrition but my gut feeling says she's not contrite. I have facts to back them but I won't get in them right now.

1. SaiKit profile image67
          SaiKitposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Americans need to learn to respect the persons who created employments for them. They need to learn that they are not victims but have the obligation and responsibility to earn their jobs and money.

So.

4. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That depends. Did the boss provoke the employee?
      A boss should never have a shouting match with employess.

Nope. It's the other way around.

2. jossecarr profile image59
        jossecarrposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are bosses that are sometimes too hard to deal with. May be the employee loose out all the patience. smile

5. Obscure Divine profile image61
      Obscure Divineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

She'd be shitcanned!  Say, "bye, c-ya later..."

6. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 14 years agoin reply to this

As a small business owner...I would not accept her back.  If she resigned in the first place what will stop it from happening again - good luck

7. tessaph profile image56
      tessaphposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hahaha.. i can relate.. OMG

8. profile image56
      RakhiChowdharyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would also never accept her back, same thoughts ...

9. Sab Oh profile image55
      Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What does she look like?

2. The Best Man profile image60
    The Best Manposted 14 years ago

If she was a good employee who was having a bad day, and given that by apologizing she was admitting she did wrong then I would be tempted to give her a 2nd chance.

1. alternate poet profile image67
      alternate poetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes - then fire her again !

3. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

I'd like to stand firm like Stevennix but......I'm a softie and I'd probably take her back.

4. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

depends on how sexy she was. does she wear short skirts?

LOL. CC, I don't think her boss will notice, she's female too big_smile

1. tobey100 profile image60
        tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ya never know!  (If you happen to be the boss in question, my apologies.)

5. Urbane Chaos profile image91
    Urbane Chaosposted 14 years ago

First, what does company policy say about it?

Second, look at the facts: 1. She engaged in a shouting match with her boss, and 2. she put in her resignation.  Forget about what kind of person she is, think about the business.  If she can get away with that, so can your other employees.  It's time that she finds new employment.

On the other side of things, is this what you want your business image to be?  As a boss, one should never get in a shouting match with an employee.  At the least, that boss will start to be seen as one who is over-temperamental, at the most, that boss could potentially get into legal trouble because of it.  It's always best to walk away, and then confront the issue when both sides are more relaxed.

If you do feel bad about firing the employee, there are options.  I had to fire an employee of mine who was truly a great man.  Unfortunately, I didn't have a choice in matters.  But, because he was such a good employee (besides this one unforgivable incident) I took the time to write him an outstanding reference letter, as well as helped him get another job elsewhere.

So yes, the employee should have been dumped asap.  And, if she was hot, at least get a picture of her walking through the door. big_smile

6. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 14 years ago

@tobey, yup I'm the boss in question smile.

@Urban Chaos, first - respect in the office is a big part of our code of ethics. second - that's why I didn't accept her revocation as it will undermine my position as the boss.

On the business image - this is only my third time (in 3 years) that I lost my temper (I seldom lose it by the way) and this is the first time she shouted at me (but once is enough). Suffice it to say that her attitude started it and I just finished it. I don't regret going through the match with her and legally, I have witnesses who will testify about her insubordination. By the way, did I say that she started all of it in front of my other employees?

1. Urbane Chaos profile image91
      Urbane Chaosposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're doing better than a lot of people out there.  If this is only the third in three years, that's understandable.. Still, it's always best to try to avoid the situation.  You asked the question in a general sort-of-way, so I answered in like.  Sometimes it is hard to keep ones temper when you're the boss - I know, been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

And I've learned, it doesn't matter if it is in front of other employees or not - word always has a way of getting around.  It starts off small, "My boss yelled at me", but by the time it gets spread out it ends up, "My boss called me a @%$%# and told me that they're going to fire everyone!"  You've played the telephone game.. Obviously, it's uncommon for that to happen, but it can - and does.  Best to avoid these situations all together.

It sounds like you handled yourself pretty well though.  In doing what you did, you've gained respect in your employees eyes.

Thanks.

7. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

But you put in the way if I was the boss. LOL Some women are like that too ya know? I was a certified mgr for a time, and I never fired anyone, I told them they just earned the right to leave, and when they did, there would be no returns.

LOL, I forgot I did start the thread with that question. I never fired a subordinate also and thank God I didn't start with her. But when she told me she will resign, I just told her to go ahead. I didn't try to stop her, the damage has been done and can no longer be repaired.

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
        Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Then I think you have your answer, emie. If you can sense and have clues that she's not sincere, then there NO WAY she will ever be a valuable employee to you or your company. It's a sham on her part, so she can continue the office drama, undermine you, (get even) which you and your company don't need.

That's my take.

Thanks Daniel.

8. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 14 years ago

It's called diplomacy. It is the social mask.

I've witnessed bosses letting employee after employee go and then the bosses were later terminated (not for letting the employees go)

I see it as Karma.

But then diplomacy doesn't really work in all situations right? And on the termination side - the only way I'll be terminated is when I close down the company smile. But then again, I do believe in Karma and I'm prepared for it. Heck, it will be worth it.

1. profile image0

well if you ask me, it sounds like karma already handled this one.  this girl was being rude, and now she's out of a job, so it looks like karma already happened.

9. Polly C profile image91
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

It depends on whether it was her fault entirely, or a situation which was partially of my causing...employers are not perfect. I once worked for a woman who, at times, was truly horrible to her employees, through no fault of their own - she deserved to be shouted at, quite honestly (though I'd like to think I would never act like her in the first place!)

10. Polly C profile image91

But if it was her entirely her fault, then I would not accept her back...unless maybe a personal situation was causing her a lot of stress so that she wasn't acting herself?

11. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 13 years ago

I would say yes, if she gave me half of her wages!! every week for life! even if she gets another job, still I demand her wages!!!

1. Polly C profile image91
      Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

God, I wouldn't want to work for you!smile

12. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I'm a very forgiving person, so I'd say yes.

13. Polly C profile image91

Actually, I think it would depend on the woman and her character - how good an employee she had been up until that point.

14. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Good point, Polly!

15. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

hold on a second!  they are letting women in the workforce now!??

1. profile image0
      Kathryn LJposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but only to make the tea,  laugh at the guys jokes and chew pencils provocatively.

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

are you sure you aren't talking about married life?

1. profile image0

nah, thats more like scowling while making the tea, making jokes about the guys and poking hubbies pencil up the cats bum!

http://ct.iscute.com/i81/7/1/16/f_d2d5e9db0f9d.jpg

1. profile image0

Poor kitty, I feel awful now.  Actually, no I don't! Maniacal laughter #~~~~

Just for you Kathryn, now available on Ebay...

http://www.prlog.org/10093804-sharp-end-cat-pencil-sharpener.jpg

1. profile image0

Brilliant!!!! But it wasn't that end of the pencil I meant.  It was the chewy end.  HAHAHA!

2. profile image47
            kshartlineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How awful! I am an animal lover and I think that is very cruel!!!!

16. profile image0
    Roseradposted 13 years ago

Hi
    Yes I would as long as she takes an anger management course. We are all human and humans make many mistakes. We are a very emotional species and we all have said and done things we regret.

17. readytoescape profile image61
    readytoescapeposted 13 years ago

While you do not give the parameters of the argument, for which there may have been good reason for disagreement, the simple fact of the matter is the employee’s transgression of flagrant and public insubordination is enough for termination.

This is a bridge that has been burned and cannot be re-crossed, if you were to allow it, your back would become the bridge and not for one, but for all.

There will always be disagreements, but in this type of environment one may put forth and argument, certainly not in the manner described, but the final decision lies with the hierarchy, period.

18. Lady_E profile image63
    Lady_Eposted 13 years ago

I'd forgive her but would not take her back.

1) What's to say she won't do it again?

2) Can I travel for one week and leave my Business in her "capable" hands, to look after my clients?

I don't think so.

Good Luck. smile

19. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

I would have a long talk with her before making a decision.  During that talk I would aim to discuss the reasons behind her shouting in order to suggest she enroll in anger management.  I would then go one step further and require anger management classes if she truly wished to retain her employment with me.  If she truly wished to remain employed with me, I would give her a written warning (begin that paper trail!!) and put her on probation. 

If I felt she was insincere, forget it.  I don't have the time to pussyfoot around to keep her off the bread line.  It's her problem, not mine.

20. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

Women in the workplace.... None of that here in saudi... lol

21. pisean282311 profile image63
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

smile...it depends..i like girls shouting or not shouting...on serious notes since u think that her regret is superficial there is no point in having her again.

22. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 13 years ago

It depended on her capabilities on the work.  If she was good at what she did, I would take her back and try and make it work.

23. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 13 years ago

No.

Go get in line at the unemployment office... and then I would fight that.

24. profile image0
    Go Writerposted 13 years ago

Look at her track record. How is she as an employee?

Is she on time? Always loyal but disagreeing with you on a point she can't get over? It could be a matter of setting her straight, understanding her viewpoint, but holding your ground and telling her you're the boss.

While I'm not proud of it, I've been in a shouting match with my boss before. It wasn't out of disrespect. I've dealt with the meanest, heady and most forgetful bosses ever and put up with them. But this particular one was a doozy. He was conveniently forgetful.

It was over a ridiculous piece of miscommunication that I and several other members of my team double and triple checked that that's what the boss wanted. He still forget and slammed us double hard, blaming us for a mistake he made. This was long after months of past attempts where I personally consulted with my boss to find out the best way we could clear up our communication mishaps.

This was the last straw. I finally had to put my foot down. He was the one who started the shouting match, too.

But I never, ever went over his head. I said my piece, but he was the boss. If that meant I had to be fired or moved, then it was his prerogative to do so. I've heard of predecessors cursing him out and calling him names. I could never do that.

If, however, your employee is experiencing "creative differences" and feels you aren't doing your job right without a valid reason, she needs to basically sit back down, shut up and color or go find work elsewhere.

There's only one boss, and that is you. If you feel that she's worth a second chance, then give her a second chance, but this time she has to work extra hard to stay on your good side. She breaks that second trust. She's out. She shapes up, or she's out.

However, if her track record has been terrible up to this point...let her go. Flighty people like that become a headache. One day work. Next day not work. I've had to do that with one of my employees. No point in keeping her. Waste of time and money.

I've learned as an employer to correct things up front. I've seen good people go bad because they were never given correction, they get a bad report and then they're out because they've never been told what they did wrong. That would be the fault of the boss.

However, you correct and she can't handle correction, then toss her. She better know who's in charge and obey.

25. profile image52
    Prithaposted 13 years ago

Give her a second chance..............
    Lets hate the Fault not the faulter.......

26. profile image0
    Rookie70posted 13 years ago

emievil, I need a job, why not hire me? I'm a good worker. Obama isn't helping me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)