This is harder than I thought from an earning perspective

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Angel Scent profile image73
    Angel Scentposted 13 years ago

I started writing Hubs yesterday. I've been greeted with the warmest encouragement and praise from fellow members and I already have 12 followers, but I haven't earned one cent yet. I have Amazon and Google Ad's set up. I will apply to Ebay and Kontera down the road. Veteran Hubbers, please advise me on what to do next. I hear a lot about back-linking, but I'm not sure where or how to start doing that. I know this will take time and I'm not impatient, but I assumed I would make a dime by now.

1. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You assumption is incorrect.

Look at the bottom of the page for the Learning Center link.  Go read everything there and then return if you still have questions (which is expected).

Angel Scentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've been going through it. Thank you Pcunix.

2. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Go to the park, Florida is probably nice this time of the year. And keep writing and reading. Start with hubbers who are featured, with score of 100, with topics that are relevant to your question, you'll learn a lot. And you know,  - you ARE impatient.

3. David 470 profile image81
      David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

It takes a lot of time. The best advice I can give you is consistently write on multiple topics consistently.  Make up to 500 hubs and eventually more. This is what I am working on doing. Send back links to each hub and interlink them.

It may take a few months to see consistent earnings, but if you work on here for a year+ then things will eventually look better AS LONG AS you are writing many articles a week.

Make the content relevant. Content is king, but niches will all do differently.

This makes sense. Thanks a lot.

2. sabrebIade profile image80
    sabrebIadeposted 13 years ago

You'll hear this a lot, but it really does take time.
    I had 30 Hubs up before I really saw anything substantial from AdSense.
    Check around and look at what some of the "Big Guns" here have written about making money.
    I suggest starting with the 30 Day Challenge.
    It's what kick started my HP earnings.

Thank you sabreblade.
      I'm enjoying it very much, but would love to see some income come in.

1. PaulaHenry1 profile image65
        PaulaHenry1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Did u say you started writing Hubs yesterday????? Oh my dear lady....It'll take some time. Patience....Patience smile

2. David 470 profile image81
      David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agreed

3. couturepopcafe profile image59
    couturepopcafeposted 13 years ago

It's a lot more time-consuming, that's for sure.  Here's what I know, and it's only a little bit.

The more hubs/pages you have the more ads, right?

If you add more capsules to a hub instead of one long capsule, they will put ads in between capsules.  More ads.

If you get onto another site, like Best-reviewer:
    <snipped - no affiliate links in the forums>  you can create an article there and backlink it to your hubs here.  One easy way is to write a "Best of" type article in hubpages, then go to BestReviewer and create the top 5 (or whatever) of the article you wrote for hubpages.  (you can check out my 7 legendary surf towns for an example)  After each top (1,2,3,4,5 or however many best of items are in your article) you'll be asked to put in a link to the source of the article.  You don't actually rewrite the article there.  Then when someone clicks that link, it "backlinks" to your hubpage.

That's just one example.  I'm also new at this and I think you can do this through facebook, twitter, anywhere.  Just send people to your site from somewhere else.

That was a very informative reply, thank you very much.

Tina

4. PurpleOne profile image79
    PurpleOneposted 13 years ago

I agree that it's harder than it initially seems. Things are now just finally starting to kick in for me but it took 2 years! I now have 39 hubs and am also starting to see that it's just a numbers game.

I've learned that there has to be some balance of quantity and quality to a hubber's portfolio. I mean that MOST people will not be lucky or skilled enough to earn lots of money just on a few hubs. At the same time, someone who has published tons of hubs that happen to be poor quality will probably not earn much either.

I'm definitely still learning too. Good luck!

Thanks PurpleOne.

5. LSKing profile image68
    LSKingposted 13 years ago

Welcome to Hubpages....don't put all your eggs in one basket, blog, and submit articles all over the web...the earnings will come! :
    )

Thanks LSKing

6. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

One of your two hubs has a capitalization error in the title and URL. I am not saying that it is decisive in terms of income, but it is not helpful either.

Is that Overcoming?

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Apple CIder..."

1. WryLilt profile image89
          WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is actually an I.... just it is obviously accidentally capitalised which does look unprofessional.

However search engines aren't case sensitive so it won't effect them.

1. profile image0
            Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's correct, we are talking about a capitalization issue.

I had the thought that if people hesitate to visit the page, this could affect search engine position as well. Someone checking the search results might anticipate that an article with an error in the title is of low quality, which would be a shame.

Yes I'd agree that may influence people. Although some might also assume it's referring to a brand name or the like.

Sorry, thought you were meaning it was an L instead of an I

7. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 13 years ago

It is hard but you can't jump in and expect to make money from clicks if you haven't researched the best ways to lay out your hubs. The big arse pictures at the top of the article are prime advertising space. Your pictures should not start until your second capsule thus maximizing the ad space.

Also long blocks of verbage will kill anyone wanting to read. This isn't a blog site where you can just go on and on about what you have to say. There are text capsules for a reason. You really need to study up on the layout and then figure out interesting things to write about.

Most people want informative articles when they come to read not a diatribe on how you survived a divorce. Give them something useful--lets say you were working for a hotline for newly divorced people would you launch into your own personal story to try and help them out? Hopefully not.

Read other hubbers posts about making it here before you start complaining about not making any money. The site is geared toward everyone making some if they know what they are doing.

Best regards and welcome to the site!

Thanks a lot. I was wondering if the pics were an issue. I tried to fix the long block of writing on the first block, but flubbed it somehow. I appreciate all the good info.

8. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 13 years ago

You've only been on the site for eleven days and you only have two Hubs.  Your earnings expectations are, to be honest, a tad unrealistic.  Unless you are experienced at web writing and marketing and have a ready-made flow of traffic that you are directing to those Hubs, it doesn't work as you are imagining.

9. xobliam profile image61
    xobliamposted 13 years ago

Follow Ryankett..he seems to have a good handle on how to gain the most commercial value from writing on the internet

thanks

10. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Hi, Tina.  Lots of good advice above.  You have lots and lots of learning to do, and it is a steep learning curve, but it is possible to accomplish.

Above all, don't get discouraged!  I began writing June 6, and wrote one hub per day.  By the end of June I had earned the grand total of $.02!  Needless to say it has climbed since then, but it does take time - ignore earnings for a while and concentrate on writing good, high quality hubs aimed at getting more organic traffic.  The earning will happen by itself if you do.  Remember, "quality is king" - don't sacrifice quality for quantity.

Thanks so much wilderness. It is very fun nonetheless.

11. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

Hello Angel Scent I hope you will enjoy writing here.

The truth is after only 11 days here and 2 hubs I would be suprised if I had made any money, it really does take time.
    The more quality hubs you write the more likely you are to earn but even then for most people it takes time as in calender time and time as in writing hubs time. The titles are important and the topics you write about.

It took me almost eleven months to make the first payout. Others will have made that pay-out quicker but I started knowing 0 about writing HubPage articles or how search engine traffic works.  As others have said the learning centre is a good place to start reading.

BTW - as far as I am aware ebay is not available for new hubbers here - it was stopped (by ebay) about the time I joined HubPages.

Thank you 2uesday. Your input is valued.

12. Don Simkovich profile image60
    Don Simkovichposted 13 years ago

Ignore the earnings for the next month and make it your goal to write 5 Hubs to 10 Hubs on related topics (slightly more than one or two per week). Then link them together. As others have noted, take time to read from other Hubbers. It's nice you posted in the forum because it shows a willingness to learn.

Then ignore the earnings for the next month and write at least 5 more Hubs either on the same or a different topic. When I say ignore, I don't mean don't look at them. Just don't get overly excited or discouraged.

I've written about this before: my highest earning Hub took 7 months before it generated traffic (almost none and then one day traffic came pouring in from the search engines) and it became my biggest earner. Now, with 170 Hubs, I've still seen some take time before they generate traffic and earnings while others start getting some clicks in the first few weeks.

Also, have fun writing your Hubs. Btw, my Adsense earnings on their way to $100 monthly but I've not sold a thing on Amazon after 2 years (well, a 36 cent commission). It's embarrassing to admit. But I keep trying.

Thank you Don. Very informative.

13. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Ignore backlinks, SEO, in depth carefully aimed hubs. Just learn about keywords.

Then just write. A lot. And you will see results.

I have a link to a hub I wrote on this topic in my profile (Everything I wish I knew when I joined hubpages) which gives an in depth guide to all this stuff. Good luck!

I will read it. You seem very well informed. Thanks for you input.

14. gracenotes profile image88
    gracenotesposted 13 years ago

Angel Scent,
    Welcome to HubPages.

I agree with several hubbers comments on the style and layout of your hubs.

When you become an Adsense publisher, you will occasionally get a piece of direct mail from Google in your real mailbox.

My communication from Google consisted of one-sentence paragraphs.  Yep!  So get used to the idea of breaking up your text quite a bit.

There is no way I would write something with one sentence paragraphs, but I do try to make my paragraphs short when I write hubs.

Using captions and breaking up the text with modules really will help you too.  I hope this provides you with some direction.

And, yes, making money will be a slow process.

thanks!!
      captions?

I think the captions being referred to are those placed beneath photographs.

You should also ensure that you properly source and attribute for all photos.

That does NOT mean picking random photos off google image search.

15. CYBERSUPE profile image61
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

Hi Angel Scent,
         Welcome to HubPages. Please take note of all the help you are geting here from some of the and I quote "Big Guns" on HubPages. I am still learning from the people on here. You will find help is everywhere in HubPages.  Good Luck!

Yes, I'm so happy they are willing to instruct me.

16. Angel Scent profile image73
    Angel Scentposted 13 years ago

Yes, there are loads of valuable ideas here. I appreciate the constructive comments. I've already gleaned some good ideas here and I'm very impressed at how quickly people on this site move in order to lend a helping hand.

Thanks All

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)