absolutely bummed with hubpages

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Dale Nelson profile image38
    Dale Nelsonposted 13 years ago

19 clicks yesterday with an income that could be change for a dollar.

Am I wrong or did something go awry.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why would you be bummed at Hubpages? Instead of say AdSense?

And even then, why would you be bummed at AdSense for paying 68% of what the market is prepared to pay for clicks from your content; rather than, say, being bummed at yourself for not effectively optimising your content to attract bigger clicks from the market?

Even then, are you actually bummed at one day of your earnings in 15 months of publishing? I compare my monthly stats, and each month I achieve increased earnings. I still have dissapointing days, although relative to my traffic, but they don't mean anything in the great scheme of things.

Dale Nelsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Jeesh Ryan.Kick a guy when he's down.lol.

You right. Was going to blame 60% profit share, then realised those clicks do not show anyway in totals.Hence hubpages in tilte.
        Not sure how to retract or edit yet.
        By then I figured out from analytics that a sports hub has a cheap add that keep showing. It had a traffic spike yesterday which would account for the low value clicks. But yes, aiming a little higher in keywords is next on the list.

1. profile image0

I didn't intend to kick you whilst you were down, just provide you with a little motivation to pick yourself up - in my own straight to the point way smile

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I had some days like that last week. so far this week, the clicks have been much better. those off days happen.

3. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

With HubPages, what you put into it really sets the stage for what you get out of it.

Hubs about HubPages aren't going to earn anything because those users are after info, and don't click on other Hub author's ads.  Writing about money doesn't pay well unless you've got TONS of traffic and have something truly unique and financially-beneficial to say as the topic is highly represented on the 'net already.  Same goes for marketing.

You need to target niches to get both the volume and quality of clicks if earnings is your goal here.  19 clicks isn't much.  You need 100s of clicks, and enough traffic to get activity up to that volume.

1. profile image0

I have something to add to that Dale.

You also need to take steps to maximise your CTR. I checked out a couple of your hubs and they had two images at the very top of the content.

Those images are placed precisely where that big AdSense block is optimised. Place a text box at the very top, then another text block underneath with your image. Write enough text in the first text box to accommodate an AdSense block.

I have been working through all of my hubs, making this change, and my CTR has drastically improved. I still haven't finished, but it is very true what they say about laying a page out in that fashion.

Just saw this. Thanks for the heads up Ryan.
          Will definitely go back through my hubs and move the pics down. I checked a preview format and I see what you mean. Thanks for the tip.

2. Lily Rose profile image84
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

It's impossible to know how much clicks will pay; sometimes you're up and sometimes you're down.  I had about the same clicks yesterday for a total around ten bucks (I hope that's okay to say, I know we're not supposed to discuss specific click and earnings so I tried to be somewhat vague - if I'm violating TOS someone tell me and I'll delete the comment)

3. Dale Nelson profile image38

@Lily Rose.

I think it should be okay, but yes thats why i was a bit vague.
    That was my point exactly though. Surely there should have been at least 5 bucks.

1. CMHypno profile image84
      CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's what the publishers are willing to pay at any given time for a keyword.  Internet earnings will always go up and down and be very variable - there are no 'shoulds' only what you actually earn.  My Amazon was looking good for this point in the month, but someone has just returned an expensive item and wiped a lot of my earnings for this month so far out - just got to roll with the punches I'm afraid.

4. Dale Nelson profile image38

@CMHypno and Lily Rose,

Thanks for the wise words guys.
    Was good to rant though for a moment.

Over it now.
    Just when you think you about to have a good earning day, they change the rules.

Lesson learned......Do not check your earnings every day.

5. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

@Lily Rose--From my understanding, you can discuss earnings, but not statistics like CTR, etc.

@Dale Nelson--I totally agree with what Ryan said. There are many keywords where advertisers are paying an average of $.05/click, and you only get 68% of that, so you really need to be doing your homework before you write your hubs.

@Ironher

Wasnt being serious,Just trying to lighten Ryan up a bit after " Pedantic".

I get what you guys are saying and have gone back to Market Samurai for a bit of a refresher. I usually plan the article then find the keyword synonyms in keyword external. I guess it may be better to write less but more of the higher paying content and not so many interest pieces.

Thanks for the advice guys and gals.

6. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 13 years ago

Does anyone know where to put the code for AdSense for Search?  I have AdSense for Content but Search has a code I need to place into my site.  Where does this go?

1. livewithrichard profile image74
      livewithrichardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You place it on the index page of your own website. You cannot use it here on Hubpages.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
        couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, livewithrichard.

7. profile image0
    TransScribblerposted 13 years ago

Gee, Dale! I could almost retire on that!
    In three months my daily income here on HP comes to 0.00425 cents Australian. For the hundreds of hours of work that I put into my writing here, it is a complete and utter fardling joke. lollollol
    No wonder so many are out of here. Come Monday, I will be one of them.
    Do not wait too long to pull it out of the fire!
    All the best in your future endeavours,
    TS

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)