Writing in Helium

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (16 posts)
  1. jack more profile image57
    jack moreposted 13 years ago

Is Writing in Helium Worth It?

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nope!

2. Tirzah Laughs profile image61
    Tirzah Laughsposted 13 years ago

Not really.

Although some do make money there, your article is rated by random by readers earning points.   You can go up and down in the ranks within a day.  Sometimes articles with typos or that are just terribly put together go to the top and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

That'd being said, you can make small amounts of money there.  Writing for the 'requested articles' is rarely worth your time.  Even if you are #1, they may pick #16.

Plus anything you post on Helium CANNOT be deleted.  It belongs to them.   You basically give them the rights to it when you post it.   You can not take it down. You can reuse it other places (unlike here) but if you leave the site, your material stays with them and enriching their site.

All your edits have to be approved as well.

1. M. A. Hook profile image62
      M. A. Hookposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know one person who joined and wrote a lot of comments for the articles on both sides of the choice screen, only to find out that the responses coming back from the people who were supposed to have written the article named articles that had never been put up for vote. Even the name across the top of the emails that were returned were different from those commented on. This person tried to quit but never could find out how to do it.

"You pays your money and takes your chances," as the old saying goes.

3. galleryofgrace profile image70
    galleryofgraceposted 13 years ago

You can make a little money with Helium But I don't recommend writing marketplace titles. If you write something for a particular company and they don't want it- it gets published anyway because you can't take it down. The company you wrote for gets free advertising! Sounds like a scam to me.

4. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 13 years ago

Helium sounds good at first...however...anything you write on Helium becomes their property - they have total control and ownership. Better to write where you still own your work, or at least where you can sell the articles for better than a few cents.

5. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

If you have a writing style that resonates with publishers, you can make good money writing for Helium's Marketplace. I have! I don't write to the titles that pay a few cents. I've sold articles there for as much as $200 each.

6. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 13 years ago

As Habee says, if you write exclusively for Marketplace you can earn good money.  However first you'll have to qualify as a Marketplace writer, which means you need to write a bundle of articles for pennies. 

If your article isn't bought by a Marketplace publisher, it gets transferred to the Helium site where you can expect it to earn a few cents per month - and you can never delete it.

I know Habee has done well, but I do think that if you can beat out all the competition to sell on Marketplace, you could probably be selling your articles for even more on other sites.

Also you can't earn a cent unless you review and rate other people's articles regularly, which I'd count as work.

7. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

What gets me is anyone used to be able to write for the Marketplace. I sold the first article I wrote there. Now you have to have a writing score, etc. No matter what I write on there my writing score never got high enough, while crap got to the top. That's not saying your writing is crap Habee, I know you are a great writer smile

I am still trying to get to payout after 2 years so I can get the $19 I was paid for that article.

8. Petra Vlah profile image60
    Petra Vlahposted 13 years ago

Helium flatters itself by claiming it is the place “where knowledge rules”. Nothing could be further from the truth and I will forever regret to have associated my name with this site ruled by intellectual terrorists in a mission against the ones that would dare express an independent opinion that contradicts the authority of the elite.

9. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Maybe I've just been lucky with Helium - I've never had any problems there at all, except that I have wondered about some of the contests. It's true that you have to rate other articles, but I read quickly, so I spend very little time on that. As far as the rating system goes, it doesn't really affect me and my Marketplace articles. Publishers pay little attention to the articles' ratings. I've sold articles rated at #13 by my Helium peers.

The Adsense on Helium does not pay as well as here on HP, but I haven't found anywhere else that pays as well as Marketplace. Sure, some titles pay only $5-$10, but I don't write those articles. I generally write to the titles that pay $80, $100, $120, and more.

I love HP for residual income, and I use Helium for quick cash. It works well for me!

10. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

You must also be aware that Helium can ban you at any time without any chance at reinstatement.  They keep your articles and your profile posted as if you are still active on the site. Also any money your articles has earned or will earn in the future goes into their pockets and your work may be sold to other publishers or sites.

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's one thing I don't agree with on Helium. If they think you should be banned, that's one thing, but I think if that happens they should release all your articles with you.

2. Tirzah Laughs profile image61
      Tirzah Laughsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I posted on mine that I was no longer active with the site as my profile.

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
        Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When you are banned you are no longer able to access your profile or account.  They don't even have to give a reason for the ban if they do not want to.  Cretins and liars, the whole bunch!

1. Petra Vlah profile image60
          Petra Vlahposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For that exact reason I call them INTELLECTUAL TERRORISTS ant that's what they are, no more, no less

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)