Check your earnings vs. the other Pay To Write sites

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (42 posts)
  1. Hal Licino profile image68
    Hal Licinoposted 14 years ago

I'd appreciate the feedback from anyone who has written on other Pay To Write sites on this statistical survey I've just published:

<snippy snippy- for shame!>

It was not possible to be totally accurate on a couple of the figures, such as the total number of articles published on triond.com and methodshop.com, so I'd appreciate any input to help achieve greater accuracy. I found it rather surprising that on about half the sites, the average monthly payment is less than one penny for every 33 words written! That's chain gang writing wages! smile

Ok, anyone who wishes to smack me across my little kitten face for a shameless Hub plug may now feel free to do so. smile

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

BTW, I came to your hub before this terrible violation of rules by you tongue

1. soni2006 profile image76
      soni2006posted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes I agree:cool:

3. Hal Licino profile image68

Ouch, Misha. That was a very hard slap! Don't you ever show any kindness and consideration to poor, helpless kittens? smile

Ya... I know... my 5th forum post and already I'm tearing up the rulebook. What can I tell ya. It might sound hollow to tell you that I haven't done this before for any of my thousand Hubs, but I really wanted to get input from Hubbers who have written elsewhere so I won't say that.

Oops... I just did. smile

1. Anti-Valentine profile image73
      Anti-Valentineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

His name is Hal Licino.

Commendations during his career:

on Hubpages for 2 years,
      996 hubs,
      495 fans...

and 5 posts in the forums.

lol

4. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

In fairness to some of those other sites, though, there is the point that a person can let, say, 500 articles sit from month to month, without writing anything new; and pick up, say, a minimum of $1 or so a day (more if the material is in a higher earning category).  On a per-word basis, of course, the pay is still awful (because those 500 articles had to be written).  On Helium, however, they can be re-published from the writer's other sites if the writer wants (which means not coming up with the words specifically for Helium).  That aside, a collection of x amount of articles (ideally in high-paying channels) can earn a person anything from as low as $40 a month on up.  Some people are getting a few hundred dollars every month for articles that are sitting there.

Helium now pays an upfront payment for any article.  A five-star writer can collect 2.50 for that.  There are a few other little bonuses, and there's also the chance articles will be purchased as "stock purchases".  Associated Content pays the upfront and the revenue share, and offers assignments to people accepted as "custom content producers".  The per-word or per-hour rate is, no doubt, dismally low; but people can pick up a few hundred dollars if they have the time/inclination/need.

Having said all that, the right article (searchable, useful, popular) on here can earn several, several, times all of the above.  For those articles that aren't "just the right kind" it's not as promising.

Just yesterday I ran into Text Broker, so I thought I'd sign up.  That one lets people select "orders" for articles, write, and be paid.  I was shocked to see that the per-article pay is around 3.50 (at least until a person proves himself, in which case the rate goes well up).  That's kind of a worst-case situation, though, because they're super-low-paying "assignments", and the writer would be pounding out 500 unique words for his $3, $8 or even $25.  I do think there's something to be said for putting in the initial time, letting the stuff sit, and picking up a few hundred dollars for no work each month.  Then you have the time to do other things, after making that initial time investment.  $50 from one site, and a few hundred from another one or two, and even the occasional extra $10, all add up.  Having said all that, I reiterate what I said on your Hub, Hal, that HubPages does seem, to me, to offer the best earning potential.

1. karpouzian profile image61
      karpouzianposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This needs to be a Hub.

5. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL Hal, I think the jury will consider your contribution to the site and might even let you free wink

6. Hal Licino profile image68

Lisa HW: In some of my Hubs such as:

<snipped - oh, Hal, how could you? wink >

I outline how I don't really make much of anything off of anything in the online ad universe, with the possible exception of AdSense, and even then, I have yet to reach a $200 month. Fortunately I don't rely on ad income on my Hubs, and I'm very grateful for that. However, you're completely correct on the staying power of articles, whether on Helium or HubPages. Some Hubs that I wrote 2 years ago are still scoring more than 100 page views each and every single day, day in and day out. So it's kind of an annuity! smile

$2.50 upfront for an article (given that it's 500 words) is still half a cent a word, and that's still mighty low. So is TextBroker's starting wage of 0.7 cents per word. You have to type your fingers to the bone at those rates to not even match burger-slinging wages.

All told, and all analyzed, I concur that HubPages seems to be the best deal on the Net! smile

Misha: I think that if the jury truly looks into my writing, especially some of the more controversial Hubs, they'll execute me at dawn! smile

7. Hal Licino profile image68

BUSTED!

I've been snipped!

This was nothing short of a HubVasectomy against my will! And no anaesthetic!

SNIP SNIP. OUCH!

I'm gonna take this to Madam Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg! She stood up for what was right in halting the Chrysler Communist Deal and she will stand up for me as well!

I demand an HubEpididymovasostomy!

smile

8. bgpappa profile image81
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

Helium requires 400 words per article, not that it makes the per word ratio any better.

Helium is better for short term payments.  Upfront payments, kill fees, empty title bonuses.

But Hubpages is better for long term revenue as well as producing a better product.  Use of pictures, videos, links, etc makes for better overall product.

1. lisafwg01 profile image60
      lisafwg01posted 14 years agoin reply to this

A word of caution for anyone thinking about using Helium: Once you put up an article on Helium you lose ALL control of it. You cannot edit it yourself, you cannot delete it and even if you leave Helium you cannot remove your work from their site!

1. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Another word of caution:  Once you have - like - 500 articles up, thinking you don't care about doing anything else with them and are only using them as a source of passive income; surprise, surprise.  The rules change, and you have to keep going back to keep a minimum number of rating stars in order to have all those articles keep earning.  In other words, there's no just forgetting the articles and letting them do whatever they do.  In other words, it isn't really "passive" income.  (The thing about not being able to delete anything is not something to take lightly either.)

I've heard of a lot of these before. So, basically, shall we say Helium sucks? All in favour?

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
            Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I wrote a Hub about it, but I'm not game to post a link here!

2. lrohner profile image69
            lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I second that! I left Helium a long time ago, and then hired one of their editors, and I can tell you quite honestly the only way you're going to be successful there is if a 3rd party hires you.

I have no idea why anyone would write (if I read this correctly) a 400 word article for $2.50 when there are higher paying sites out there that pay upfront, and via PayPal, and weekly.

You have to pretty much give blood to be approved, but they are worthwhile.

9. Hal Licino profile image68

Anti-Valentine, my good friend Misha has been pushing me to get onto the Forums and as soon as I took the plunge I had to violate the sacred entrails.... wouldn't ya know it? smile OK, so I'm antisocial... the rumors that I'm a hermit are completely true. And I'm crabby too! Maybe I should change my avatar from a cat to a hermit crab. smile

bgpappa, yes, I can see by checking out Helium that they have reasonable short term payments, but the bottom line is still that it's just not worth it for anyone who has to confront the cost of living in a developed nation to be able to write on Helium. If a writer happens to live in a Third World country where $10 a day is a good wage, then by all means go for it. Unfortunately $10 won't even buy me a pizza here. sad

I'm also antisocial or asocial. Check the name: Anti-Valentine.

I like these forums more than others though.

2. Maddie Ruud profile image71
      Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Violate the sacred entrails?  Yipes!  I didn't know you were into sexual assault/beastiality/necrophilia, Hal.  That's a wicked combination.

10. Hal Licino profile image68

Anti-Valentine, welcome to the antisocial group. Maybe we should establish the HubHermits group! We could have meetings and never attend them! smile

Maddie Ruud, some may call me a Mithraic Pontiff, some may just call me a filthy pervert, but when you're as old and fat and ugly as I am, you gotta get it wherever you can. smile

lisafwg01, hmm... I wasn't aware that you couldn't delete your own work from Helium. That seems awfully Draconian. Just another reason to stay away.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image71
      Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hear you get brain damage from inhaling too much of that stuff.  Jus' sayin'...

1. curiozities profile image59
        curiozitiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

(inhales some helium and responds in a munchkin-like voice) Hey, that's not true, I have no dain brammage at all!

2. Anti-Valentine profile image73

Excellent suggestion! I'll not agree to not attend right away. Or something like that...

1. caspar profile image59
        casparposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Can I be invited to your non-meeting? I'm a bit of a hermit too and I'd love not to come.

11. Kidgas profile image61
    Kidgasposted 14 years ago

Lisa,
    Thanks for that info about Helium.  I just went over and looked at their site.  I'll stay here for now.

12. Pete Maida profile image60
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

I may get slapped for this but I write here because I enjoy it but I believe performance payment works better.  At least you can see a clear road to where you can make a buck or two without writing commercials for some product or vacation spot.

13. Lissie profile image76
    Lissieposted 14 years ago

Textbrokers is not the same as the other sites Hal mentioned -its purely a writer for hire service - the articles are for buyers who use them as their own - there are no residues. Its more akin to constant content <snip one, I gotta snip 'em all> which pays a lot better but is probably harder to break into for regular work.

Worth noting that textbrokers and associated (at least) only allow US authors too

14. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Thanks for pointing that out to others who may not already know that, Lissie.  I should have been clearer.  The only reason I included them in with the others was within the context of writers weighing the different, most common, payment set-ups for their work and comparing.   Maybe I should have included that, but, to me, a lot of the sites have different "payment set-ups" anyway.  Members of some are paid by the site, itself, rather than Google (as on HubPages).   A lot of them have their differences between them.  I just threw in Text Broker as yet another one.

15. Hal Licino profile image68

Maddie Ruud: Whenever I've inhaled Helium it doesn't do anything because I already talk like a duck.

Pete Maida: Believe me, no one will slap you for enjoying HubPages, as that is by far its greatest attribute! HubPages is FUN! smile

Lissie: Yes, I've checked out textbrokers and it is a write for hire service, which translates into there being a much smaller throughput of articles, regardless of what they print. You can also add demandstudios to textbrokers and associated in the list of sites that will not deal with writers outside the USA.

curiozities: I didn't need Helium to get brain damage. I was born like this. As a matter of fact, when I was born, the doctor took one look at me and slapped my mother. smile

Lisa HW: The more I learn about Helium from you and other writers, the more I get the feeling that it is one heckuva crummy site for anyone to work on. Why would anyone want to subject themselves to that level of arbitrary restriction when they can come over here and have a great time? smile

16. Hal Licino profile image68

Anti-Valentine, by the power vested in me by me, I hereby name you Vice-President of the Official HubHermits Group, dedicated to upholding the rights and privileges of the elite membership of HubHermits to live in solitude; go for entire weeks without speaking to anyone; peek out of our darkened windows to deride the groups of people walking by; and in every possible manner truly embodying our motto "LEAVE US THE #$%& ALONE!" smile

I'm honoured, and I will certainly enjoy the bit about deriding people. I do it all the time.

17. Hal Licino profile image68

Anti-Valentine, the honor is all mine, and I look forward to not joining you as we engage in public derision sessions.

And yes, from all the information I've been able to gather to date, the conclusion has to be that Helium sucks.

AYE!

caspar, consider yourself invited to our non-meetings and I'm sure I speak for the entire membership in stating that we look forward to not seeing you there. smile

18. Hal Licino profile image68

I would also like to formally announce, consistent with the prevailing policy of non-doing, that I have just published a Hub dealing with my anniversary of 1,000 Hubs but I cannot state that on this forum as it would run counter to the policy of non-statement. Therefore, disregard any mention of said Hub. smile

19. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Wow! 1000 hubs! I can only recall boppster with similar quantities, but quality was a bit different big_smile

20. Hal Licino profile image68

Misha: Hey... wot are u sayin'? boppster's better than me, huh? That does it! Tell him/her/it that I challenge him/her/it to a duel! USB keyboards at 30 paces. I will avenge my honor! smile

Marisa Wright: In adherence to forum standards, I'd like to thank you for your non-announcement of your non-Hub. I assure you I will not go check it out and then I promise I will immediately erase what I didn't read anyway from my memory. smile

21. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Hal, I've never seen anybody give so much blood and then get right up off the donation table and walk without so much as a cookie or a glass of orange juice.  You are one durable dude.

Must come with the Hermit lifestyle.

I'd ask to join the antisocial Hermitage group but it would feel too much like I might have to get along with somebody.  Don't think I could handle that.

One of the things (among many) I deeply appreciate about HP is the ability to come and go at will without losing my manhood.  From April of 2008 to early May of 2009 I was hardly ever here, yet my Hubs kept earning their pennies and when I came back active nobody even noticed I'd been gone.

Ezine Articles,  on the other hand, deleted my (admittedly lone) article and stole back my Expert Author logo during the same interim.  So, Ezine, this (blows raspberry) is for you!

22. Pete Maida profile image60
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

It is simple I make money other places; I don't make money here.  I enjoy HubPages for the people here but I don't expect to make any money here.  I will admit up front that the main  problem is level of effort on my part.

23. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

You guys are so funny lol humour appreciated ,but hugely distracting ,lol...
    My middle name must be procrastination ,and I am  kinda hoping to learn of other writing sites too.

No-one mentioned Squidoo, are they similar to HB? in terms of revenue etc

Squidoo works in a similar way to HubPages. Most people I know seem to do better here than Squidoo, but then most people I know are Hubbers smile

HubPages is my only writing site now. People have told me I shouldn't put all my eggs in one basket - but the thing is, if you spread your writing over multiple sites, then it takes longer to get to payout from each one. 

Check out Hal's Hub on revenue-sharing sites and you'll see that you're probably in the best place right here.  Instead of joining more writing sites, why not try selling your articles on Constant Content or some of the freelance sites?

1. relache profile image71
        relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My accounts beg to differ with you.  Having multiple sites where I've got AdSense, Amazon and eBay makes me hit those thresholds a lot easier than with just one site.

Sorry Relache, didn't express myself well. I was referring to sites which have different revenue sources - so for instance if you have Adsense, Amazon and eBay on HubPages but then sign up for another site which pays you a share of their earnings through Paypal, and another site which pays through CJ.

I agree that if you select sites that all use the same advertisers, it's not a problem.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image73
        Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ok thanks ,I will check them out sometime.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)