Making a living off HubPages!!!

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (20 posts)
  1. profile image54
    High Healthposted 13 years ago

I know people make decent money on HubPages some even in the thousands,but I was wondering if anyone makes a living off just HubPages?

I realize a-lot of people wont say what they earn(and I don't blame them) but I think it will help motivate and inspire people new and old on HubPages to know that it is possible to make a living on HubPages.

Hope this question doesnt offend anyone.

thank you

1. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 13 years agoin reply to this
      1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Now that was funny.smile

2. SuziGravenstuk profile image60
        SuziGravenstukposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree, a hearty LOL.

2. Gina Coole profile image61
    Gina Cooleposted 13 years ago

I think it would be possible to earn a living from HubPages alone but big earners sensibly tend to split their earnings across a range of sites.  There is no point in putting all your eggs in one basket.  HubPages could one day change its terms of service or go bust.

Don't get me wrong, I love HubPages but it is important to diversify.

3. starme77 profile image76
    starme77posted 13 years ago

well I was on my way on up with that till  a bunch of crap happened - still making some off of what I got - not bad for not doing any work towards them these past few months - I'll kick it here soon though smile

4. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

If anyone makes their living off hubpages, I would recommend they spread out and start making their own websites.

You should never, ever depend on any free site that you don't own for your income. Things ALWAYS change, often not in your favor.

Hubpages is great, and a nice way to make money. But you should be making your own sites also and make just as much off them, more preferably. smile

1. profile image54
      High Healthposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ye I definitly I'm going to start makeing websites after I learn the ropes at Hubpages, but first I need to learn more about seo and html etc.

And thanks evryone for the replies they were exactly what I was hopeing for.

5. profile image0
    TopUniverseposted 13 years ago

I joined just few weeks back and everyone talking about the risk of hubpages may change their TOS at anytime.

Very sad to hear.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is no real reason behind this, or suggestion that the terms of service will change, it is just a case of people being realists or at least sufficiently risk adverse to realise that a good thing may not last forever. Whether that is 18 months time, or 18 years time, you must protect yourself from the possibility. It is not sad to hear, it is a fact of life - which can be applied to any site. Even your own.

2. thisisoli profile image69
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

topuniverse you have been teh only one saying anything along those lines, and most of that seems to be caused by your own misunderstandings.

You have been corrected, multiple times, please stop trying to spread milicious talk in some vain attempt to troll new people to the site.

3. SuziGravenstuk profile image60

The sky may fall, too. We retain the right to our work. I am a newbie here after extensive research and comparison of platforms. If HUB changes the TOS, it could be an improvement. If HUB Pages, sells, it could be an improvement or not.

I trust HP more than any employer I've worked through in the tangible world.

6. Zenofsong profile image60
    Zenofsongposted 13 years ago

Any recommendations for other sites to work on? I have a helium page, it's pretty cool.

1. profile image0

Helium is great for the contests and marketplace, but not for much else.

2. SuziGravenstuk profile image60

As stated above, I did considerable, painstaking research before making HUB my future main platform. I say future because I am still learning the basics here and I get wayyy to involved in research.

Other platforms usability to you depends on your goals, your writing style, and what you require.

One reason I am with HP is because of the multiple streams of revenue and because the modules make it so easy to be more creative and "sticky".

I researched: Suite 101, Squidoo,  and lesser rated sites by Alexa standards: Infobarrel, qondio... well, I could go on and on. Yet, I am spending the bulk of my time here with a personal commitment. That could change:-)

I may find that my writing styles and passions don't really work here.

If you have a news writing/journalistic style--I highly recommend digitaljournal.com  Blogs are free and non-compensatory but hit search engines quickly.

To become a Citizen Journalist and begin revenue accumulation, you will need to send writing samples. If accepted, your first articles are subject to editorial approval.

The editors are great, as well as the on-line education.

7. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Not sure why anyone would have anything to do with Helium as they retain the right to use the articles you publish there for life. I put up a couple of articles there several years ago. Would love to get them off, but it's just not gonna happen.

1. profile image0

You can change your username, if that is the issue? Just call yourself J Bloggs if you want, and the credit will change.

I also dislike the way that they retain rights, but some of their contests are really easy if you pick one which nobody seems to want to write on.

I won $60 for a contest about Australian Rules Football, despite having never watched or played Australian Rules Football. It took me 3 hours to bang out four 400 word articles on that sport, and I finished 1st. Not a bad little earner.

They once had a good marketplace, I got paid $24 for a 250 word submission which I had spent around 20 minutes on. Although by the looks of it that has almost completely gone.

I just found $17 in my account, so I have done some rating to get a star, so that I can reach $25 and take that out of there.

8. Cheeky Girl profile image66
    Cheeky Girlposted 13 years ago

Hub Pages are a great way to earn money. Adsense and Amazon earns for me. I have already used the income to buy new domain names for blogs and other promotional projects for the future. All possible because of Hubs! That makes me a very happy person. Prasetio30 has a hub on the richest Bloggers in the world, and you could can check their sites and weep, maybe. Or you could try doing what the Pros do. Start somewhere, get a niche or two and promote market and sell and advertise 'em to heck. Get the Hubs income to generate more income.

Think of the analogy of the guy who's starving and inherits a bag of apples. The greedy type of guy will eat them all and run out of food eventually, cos he didn't think about it . While the smart guy eats only a few apples but uses the seeds of the remaining apples to grow a whole orchard and never go hungry again. Geez, it works for me. Can't be that hard.

1. Nippon profile image47
      Nipponposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can eat all the apples that you wish. Just use the seeds of each eaten apple. No need to not eat them to use the seeds.

Perhaps though you could sell some of those apples so you can buy yourself other less expensive fruits and vegetables while you wait for those seeds to grow.

2. Zenofsong profile image60
      Zenofsongposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like this analogy, I suggest writing a hub about this.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)