Please let us Opt out of the new Answer thing on Account page

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

This is a joke! I keep getting stupid questions showing up. They are personal questions to hubs and what I have seen have no relevance. This is a waste of space and time to have to close the screen when it pops up.

Let us opt out or just Delete it!

1. thisisoli profile image71
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

click the x on the top right, it should not re-appear (At least it hasn't for me).

1. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're going to have to do that once every 24 hours, which strikes me as a very bad decision.

We should be able to completely opt-out of this inane feature.

1. Michael Willis profile image67
          Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is what I am hoping for!

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

We should be able to opt in. If not, we should definitely be able to opt out.

3. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

I agree, the questions that I've been asked are either stupid or make no sense. It feels like HP is trying to force us into some sort of participation thingy that I have no interest in. If I had wanted to answer a question, I would have visited that section. Since I have my next 250 hub topics planned out, I probably won't be answering any of them soon.

Actually I would be interested in knowing if some people are enjoying them. Maybe I'm just anti-social or too narrow minded. So if you've gotten some good ideas from these, please let me know to give these things a second chance.

4. Shadesbreath profile image76
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

I have yet to see a question on it that was coherent, much less interesting enough to want to write about.

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My latest gem:

"i know math bt tel me that wt is accounting?"

WTF????

5. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 13 years ago

Stupid feature indeed. The Answers section is spammy and low quality enough, let's not throw it on all users to go there and see the bad questions.

My favorite part of the Answers section is the flag button.

Every now and then I try to post decent questions that should elicit hubs, but for the most part the flag option is ideal for about 65%-85% of questions there.

PLEASE BRING BACK THE RESTRICTIONS ON THE SECTION!
    * No yes/no questions
    * No opinion questions
    * No questions related to HubPages

6. Arthur Fontes profile image74
    Arthur Fontesposted 13 years ago

I wonder, do we get a share of the Adsense ads on the questions section or is it Pro Bono?

Does the section exist for HP to hoard all the adsense revenue?

1. Whitney05 profile image83
      Whitney05posted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's all for HP.

This is a section initially to help create an ideabank from hubbers to hubbers.

If you're not happy about the sharing, then try making your own site or finding other means. I wouldn't think of it as adsense hoarding by any means. Without HubPages we wouldn't have any source of extra income.

1. Arthur Fontes profile image74
        Arthur Fontesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I could opt to not participate in the questions and answers section, is that a choice?

1. adrienne2 profile image66
          adrienne2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank high heavens someone brought this up. I thought these questions had to be a really bad joke.  As if I have a speciality on dog food which was my last question, What is the best dog food for a Itzu?? Which I have no knowledge of or ever written about this breed of dog.

2. Whitney05 profile image83

It's a choice to go to the section or not.

adrienne2, I had a similar question that was posted toward one of my dog food hubs. about Shih Tzu puppies and best dog food for them. I agree that it is a joke; the section used to be a great place to go for ideas, but not anymore. I am surprised that the HubPage team hasn't taken not to all the complaints since they changed the section up.

7. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Well folks. The question of the day showed up on my stats page as usual… This also triggered my recollection that asking 10 questions gets you one of those pretty accolades… smile At least one hub has confirmed this.

So here they come…smile

1. paradigmsearch profile image59

#1. Why is it said that a cat has 9 lives?

paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://hubpages.com/profile/janessecret says:

this come from the fact that cats almost always survive falls by twisitng gracefully and landing on their feet. In history this lead to superstitions about the numerous lives of cat but they are justthat,supersttions with no basis of truth.

2. paradigmsearch profile image59

#2. What is the difference between white and black pearls other than color, i.e. what is the difference in their chemical composition?

3. paradigmsearch profile image59

#3. If a man states an opinion and there is no woman to hear it, is he still wrong?

4. paradigmsearch profile image59

#4. How many years do you think it will be before dual language (English/Spanish) traffic signs are the standard in America?

5. paradigmsearch profile image59

#5. The U.S. now has a $T+ yearly deficit. How many years do you think it will be before it all comes crashing down?

6. paradigmsearch profile image59

#6. Just how high do dead cats really bounce?

7. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I agree:  this junk devalues HP.

8. paradigmsearch profile image59

#7. It is all over the internet that 32 inch LCD TV’s will be selling for $199 by the end of the year. What have you heard or experienced regarding the quality of the American brand Vizio?

http://hubpages.com/profile/tommyur says

Two friends of mine had TV sets from Vizio and they both experienced the same problem: after a while the TV just wouldn't turn on. Plus, from what they told me, the customer service is not satisfactory at all.

9. paradigmsearch profile image59

#8. What auto insurance companies would you recommend that a person NOT do business with?

10. paradigmsearch profile image59

#9. As to our American medical system; what HMO’s would you recommend that a person NOT do business with?

11. paradigmsearch profile image59

10#. How do you deal with those entities one inevitably runs into in life that are always negative and always find fault with everything? This question applies to both real world and cyberspace.

Got 4 good answers to this one. There is indeed hope for our species.smile

12. Bima.Purnawan1 profile image60
      Bima.Purnawan1posted 13 years ago

Just opt out with one click and it won't be back for 24 hours.
      Personally I like it being there. Makes it more likely for me to participate more.  I do understand how it could be annoying to some Hubbers.

1. Sally's Trove profile image79
        Sally's Troveposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It isn't just annoying to some Hubbers, it's bad form in every way...these questions are hardly coherent (as others have said). They occupy prime real estate that could be used for better purposes (even Google ads [forgive me for that thought!]), and they contribute to the dumbing down of what used to be a great feature where Hubbers could pose questions that elicited Hubs instead of one- or two-line answers and quips.

When I click that "X", I want the feature gone forever, not just for 24 hours. It's a huge annoyance as well as a lousy representation of a site that's supposed to encourage writing.

13. paradigmsearch profile image59

There are more answers floating in, but I am tired and am done for a couple hours. Happy November all!smile

14. Whitney05 profile image83
      Whitney05posted 13 years ago

Lol good job paradigmsearch. What's funny are the answers are not the quality they should be, which is another example of the crap in the area.

15. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

So they are featuring the single stupidest aspect of the site?  Brilliant.

1. Whitney05 profile image83

YepYep pretty much

16. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

This question (which is currently featuring on my "My Account" page) has surely got to win the "stupidest question posted on a public forum" award:

"I returned my bottle of remaining pills on RMA 3709 on 10/15/2010 and Jason Berg signed for the return via UPS. I received a refund and as of today you have charged my account again. Why have you charged my account when I have returned the unused product? Phil S******** p******@gmail.com"

17. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

To be fair that question was posted directly to a hub about the product, apparently mistaken for it's official website.

I am not sure why questions posted to a specific hub also appear in the general queue.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)