Should you Opt Out of naked body scanners at airports?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (12 posts)
  1. sannyasinman profile image60
    sannyasinmanposted 13 years ago

Read this then decide. . .

http://www.naturalnews.com/030100_naked … rport.html

What do you think?

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ummm.... wonder if there is a way to monetize it? lol hmm

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

I’d rather be scanned than felt up. Besides, as near as I can tell, the person viewing the scan isn’t even in the same “room”. There is no information connection or recognition connection between you and the scan (unless they find something of course). It’s just view and move on to the next one without records being kept. It’s only when the person doing the scan viewing contacts the security station that things start getting interesting…smile

This is just my best guess; only your TSA representative knows for sure...smile

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

I also don't know if the separate-room setup is universal to all airports or not.

4. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

They could announce the fact that I was opting out over the PA system - I will still be opting out. I will also be going in a room. If they don't have a room, they better find one.

5. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I don't have a problem with body scanners...they use - is it Z-rays? - a new type of really 'low wattage' ray that is supposedly safe, but hey I smoke cigarettes why should I worry about a scanner?
    When I am sitting in a tin box at 20,000 feet I want to know that I am not about to be blown out of the sky by a fellow passenger.
    So bring on the scanners...

6. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Yes the scanner uses incredibly weak rays, and teh source to me seems to be very suspicious, in that it uses less scientific fact and more appeals to the worries of the masses. 

I have been through the full body scanners on a number of occasions in several different airports and have no qualms about it, and no woman who uses imigary such as 'lining up like cattle' is going to change my opinion with such cheap shots at negative connotations to the practice. 

Lining up like cattle is in fact, just lining up, perhaps there should be a scrum to decide who gets to go next? maybe the TSA can hand out consficated pocket knives and have a battle to the death to see who gets to go through the scanner next. 

Personally I think I will stick to queuing it might be a little boring but it helps things flow smoothly.

1. raisingme profile image77
      raisingmeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You have a point - people line up like cattle for Starbucks for heaven's sake, big_smile

7. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Somebody in the article objected to the "I'm being arrested pose".  That's stupid.  If you're not being arrested you don't need to worry if your arms are in a position that happens to be similar to someone being arrested.  I think that's kind of the least of the issues.  People have a way of throwing in stupid things into an otherwise valid concerns/gripes, and mucking up the issues.  I think as long authorities are transparent (pardon the pun) about any records that could potentially be kept, I think hands-off always has less possibility of abuses (and real creeps that enjoy their line of work) than hands on.

I find the whole scanner/security stuff objectionable enough to me that it would take a REAL emergency to make me choose flying over other forms of transportation; but I also know they haven't instituted what's there for security just for the heck of it - so it is what it is.  I wouldn't take a job that requires travel, and for now I have no relatives outside of driving/train distance - so for me, for now, it's all just about any vacations anyway.

The thing I find very disturbing, though, is that once a person has entered into the security process at all, he can't just change his mind and leave.  I know it could look suspicious, and letting him go would let a "bad guy" go (so he could light his "funny" sneakers on fire at a nearby restaurant); but there's such a thing as people thinking they're OK with something until they actually get there and, for one reason or another, realize they just can't go through with it.  I didn't realize that aspect of the process until I saw it on the news last night.  I didn't see anything specifically related to this in the link above (maybe I just read too quickly), and don't know if one of the links there includes it - but anyway, here's an article about being arrested if you try to change your mind about both forms of security and boarding the plane at all:

http://www.newsroomamerica.com/story/76241.html

(Maybe there are good reasons for this little aspect of the whole security process, but to me, this is where it gets just that much creepier and questionable, "rights-wise".)

Oops!  A very short time after this post I'm hearing on the radio that thousands and thousands of images from scans are being stored and sent one place or another; but also that people can take cell phone photos of the images.  Apparently, a couple of websites have celebrities' scans on them already.    hmm

8. Flightkeeper profile image65
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I think the whole thing is stupid.  I understand that we need to be secure but we're sacrificing a lot of privacy for security.  Israelis have flown and haven't resorted to body xrays, this is very intrusive.

9. Dolores Monet profile image93
    Dolores Monetposted 13 years ago

Suppose that you fly often as many people do. It's one thing if you have to go through a scanner once or twice, but several times as week - they don't even know whether that is safe or not.

I can see myself having to go through one of those scanners at the age of 12 or 13 - the humiliation would be terrible. And for modest women, a scanner is so intrusive! Not to mention the invasion of privacy. People don't seem to care about privacy anymore. You have to get your bodily fluids checked for a lousy job at KMart.

10. sannyasinman profile image60
    sannyasinmanposted 13 years ago

Does anyone know if it is possible to "Opt Out" at all US airports? Is the body scanner compulsory at any airports?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)