What makes a good Hubber?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (21 posts)
  1. c521 profile image59
    c521posted 13 years ago

Hi all!

So I made my HubPages account just the other day, and while I'm getting the lay of the land, I'm looking for ways I could improve my hubscore, get readers, etc.

(I laughed out loud when I read the Learning Center's tips on good content for a first hub, because I saw it after I had made it. I think I can check off three of the "Things that Don't Work Well" about my first Hub!)

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated! Thank you.

1. jeri741 profile image60
      jeri741posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Welcome ...wishing you much success

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Welcome to the site! smile

I think you have two questions in one:

WHAT makes a good hubber?

A good hubber is someone who interacts with the community as they learn and leaves positive feedback for others, helping them learn as well.

WHAT makes a good hub?

A quality piece of work that you'd be proud for any person you know in real life to read.

If you're here to make money, it isn't always as easy as that however.

For some tips, check out the guide linked at the top of my profile.

1. c521 profile image59
      c521posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much for your help! I took a look at that guide and now I have a much better idea of what to do! I really appreciate it! smile

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Welcome to HubPages! smile

What makes a good hubber? Hmmm....ummm.....ummm....oh well...

Have fun, enjoy yourself and be active in the community. Get a taste of everything. wink

1. c521 profile image59

Hahaha thanks so much! I look forward to reading some of you Hubs! smile

4. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

You know, after all this time I have realized a good Hubber is just someone who is there.  No matter what.  Opinions if not constructive, irrelevant.  They seem to support and encourage you, surprisingly at the most necessary times

smile

5. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

Also, a very big welcome, we're glad your here!  big_smile

1. c521 profile image59

Thanks so much! Yeah, just from snooping around a bit I've really gotten a sense that there's such a supportive and welcoming community here - I love it. Thanks for the advice and the welcome! smile

6. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 13 years ago

Welcome to Hubpages!  Apart from the great info from the other hubbers on this thread... a good hubber is someone who is willing to share the love and the knowledge that they have learned on the way, whether it is from another hubber or what they have discovered.

Share, share, share!

1. c521 profile image59

That's great advice! At first I wasn't sure what types of things I wanted to write about, and I was kind of nervous to reveal too much about myself. But I don't think readers will be interested in anything I have to say unless I let them into my mind a bit! So I'm excited to write some more. This website is addicting! I really appreciate the advice. smile

1. profile image0
        shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The staff at Hubpages advocates that they want to be a site that people can learn on.  I would say that this is being achieved and now you are on the exciting journey of HP!

Oh yes, many regulars on here have been addicted for a number of years lol

2. Lisa HW profile image63
        Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

HubPages is a nice site, and you're right about it having a very supportive community.   People can turn their efforts here into what they want them to be, as long as they know how.

Separate from "official word" on things like "what someone brings to the site", and separate from all word on things like what makes a successful or good Hub; my own opinion on what makes "good" Hubbers is that you can kind of tell they put in a sincere effort wherever they write on here (whether that's in their Hub or comments, what they do on the forums, whether they try to help someone else..).    I don't mean "all big and seriousness all the time".  I just mean you can usually tell that someone's reasonably conscientious about not "contributing" nothing but "half-baked" and "half-effort" stuff.  Earnings issues aside, I think (no matter what kind of stuff people write) a "good" Hubber's stuff has his own brand of substance to it. 

Separate from what people are told (and what "official standards" are for "good" Hubber), I, personally, don't think (but this is only my personal standard and certainly not what "official recommendations" are) whether a person is active on the forums or does a lot of commenting "rules him out" as a "good" Hubber.  My "judgment standard" is more about whether whatever someone contributes when and where he DOES contribute has redeeming value, or is a good faith effort.

A couple of my most well received and most commented on Hubs (but not highest earners) are "heavily personal experience".  I've had people e.mail me and say things like, "I was searching and finally found this, which is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to find".    Even though they're based on personal experience, I wrote them with the reader in mind, imagining talking to a friend and sharing what I could about what I "figured out", "noticed", or learned about dealing with the experience (as oppose to a whole Hub like, "I had this bad experience and it was so awful."  (It happens a couple of those Hubs are about death and loss, and I kind of hate getting e.mails and comments about something that "unpleasant" as often as I do (so long after writing the Hubs); but the point is that being "useful" and "unique" to readers can mean different things for different Hub subjects.

I don't know if this makes me a "good" Hubber or a stupid Hubber, but I spend some time trying to kind of offer a little "customer service" to people who request information or suggestions on Hubs too.  Because of the nature of some of the subjects I've written about, I frequently get some fairly weighty comments that really seem as if it would be awful not to give serious thought to the response.  The Hub benefits because there's additional discussion/information for people to read, but if there's any one thing that I think makes me feel like I'm a "good" Hubber (at least when it comes to this one aspect of Hubbing) it's knowing that sometimes my "connection" to one reader or another goes beyond what they read in the Hub and on to a little personal interaction/discussion involving the subject they're interested in.

Whatever aspect of Hubbing it is, though, I think people who are "good" at one aspect or another are the ones who obviously put in their own brand of "sincere effort" in their own way, regardless of what style/subjects their contributions and Hubs are.  (but maybe that opinion is "just me"  lol  )

1. c521 profile image59

Hi Lisa! Thanks so much for the advice! I've noticed that by reading some Hubs you start to feel like you're getting to know the Hubbers who write them. In a lot of ways, this site can tell you more about people than any networking site could. And I like your point about "customer service." I love that there are some Hub friendships and a lot of Hub love on this sight. smile

3. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think you can be interesting without injecting personality. I am bored to tears by the Jack Webb "Just the facts, Ma'am" approach.  If you are reviewing something, I want opinions, I want to know how whatever it is changed your life.

So, don't be afraid of personality.  Yes, it can be overdone and some people are just bores, but you don't sound like there is any danger of that.

Welcome to HubPages!

7. K9keystrokes profile image82
    K9keystrokesposted 13 years ago

I am not a long time hubber but I know a good hub and a good hubber when I see one. 
    A good hubber is someone who shares and teaches, as well as learns as much as possible and then shares that which they have newly learned. A good hubber lifts you up and helps you to stay on task and cares about the well-being of the community and the site.
    A good hub is something you feel connected to and proud to publish. It offers something to your reader that they need or want, a service or a story. It is entertaining and engaging, clear and is your own original work.
    Whatever you do, read as many hubs as you can. I have learned so much from veteran writers here and from the HubPages tutorials.
    WELCOME TO HUBPAGES! smile

1. c521 profile image59

Thanks K9! And I really appreciated the fanmail! smile Every time I check my e-mail now I get so excited to get Hubpages updates. I look forward to reading some of you Hubs! smile

8. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Welcome to HP - always good to see a new face looking to have fun.  I got a kick out of your OP - I did much the same thing, although it took me several hubs to find the learning center.

Good hubber - answered well above.

Traffic - go to school here on HP.  There are hundreds of good hubs about how to do just that.  Check out hubs on SEO, optimization, tags, rss feeds and anything else you can think of.  Great authors here are sunforged, darkside and edweirdo although they are merely the beginning of a great list of writers.

1. c521 profile image59

Thanks for the advice!

Hahaha yeah it took me a little exploring to realize Hubpages isn't necessarily a blog. But looking at examples of other Hubs I thought it was really cool that people can share what they know and how much learning there is to do here! I love it.

And I'll definitely look into some of those writers you mentioned, that was a great help! Thanks again, and I look forward to reading some of your hubs! smile

9. kazemaru2 profile image60
    kazemaru2posted 13 years ago

followers as they determine how well you're work is seen and  may inspire you to do more.

10. rotl profile image61
    rotlposted 13 years ago

It's funny you should ask... I just wrote a hub about this topic, being a new hubber myself.

People here are really cool, and you can learn a lot from the one's who've been around, as you are already seeing. Good luck!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)