Coincidence - science or fluke?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (18 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Gordon544posted 13 years ago

There are moments in life when you just know what's around the corner. I lost touch with a friend some years ago. Then, walking through London one day, several years later, I just knew I was gong to meet him around the next corner....

....I did. It was great to see him but wow, rather odd as if some other force was telling me what was about to happen.

I'd love to hear other examples of the similarly unexplained...what happened, was it good or bad, how are these explained?!

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The human consciousness connects every single person to another. There are times where it surprises each of us, but does not mean that someone or something is in control of it, except for those who are living.

Just a thought.

1. hanging out profile image60
        hanging outposted 13 years agoin reply to this

interesting.. so how does this connection take place.. does the consciousness shoot a beam out of ones forehead... does it go in a big circular motion like radar at an airport? Is it magnetic responding to the ore in our bodies.
        If you have a theory like this you must be able to explain it further or you are just following on a bind faith inference that you are (as you say) always correct.

2. John Holden profile image60
      John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But how many times in your life have you had such thoughts and forgotten them within a few seconds or minutes of them not coming true?

3. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

JUST   MY  OPINION.

It really can't be explained. 
      The more you try to examine it the more it will evade your probing.

It is one of those many things that just happens.
      I want to say that this depends upon the state of mind that you are in, but that isn't it.   
         I think that it has more to do with the state of mind that you are not in.

When you find yourself in that state of mind or not in it ??
      It seems to happen more often.

Like everything else...  ya gotta be receptive.

Cut out the static noise.  I think this is why some people can not stand to be in the house and not have a TV or radio turned on.  They gotta have noise.
          Cause they don't want to hear it.
          And sometimes maybe they shouldn't.
          Cause we don't know what it is.

What is it ??  I don't know!
          I just know that it is. 
      And I think that it is a good thing.

4. Beelzedad profile image60
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's just probability. We go around our entire lives trying to anticipate and predict our futures. Every now and again we are going to get a "hit" where something happens, like running into someone you haven't seen in a while yet were recently thinking about.

Yet, how often it happens that we think about other people but don't run into them. It is these "misses" we tend not to think about simply because they are imagined events that never occurred.

The amount of times we think about others and the amount of times we run into them is a probability event that can and most likely will lead to hits and misses, the misses most likely outweighing the hits by a substantial amount, but it is the hits that we focus on and then attempt to explain away with supernatural forces. smile

2. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I think all humans have a "sixth sense," but only a small percentage of us can tap into it. Stuff like your experience happens to me all the time. I've also had many dreams that came true.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think the Universe and all life on earth connects and coincides. The iron in your blood is the same out in space. One way or another everything is coincides.

Co- in-cides

I had a dream, with my buddy in my dream. I told him about my dream, and he continues the story of that dream.

Wow, he had the same dream except he dreamt that I was in his dream.

2. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think so too.  Many animals do.  It was reported than no animals died in the Puket (not sure of spelling) tsnaumi.  All the animals had sensed the earthquake (felt the vibrations?) and taken off earlier.

Since animals cannot reason like a human. One can assume that the tremors of an earthquake to an animal were detectable as to the angle from which the earthquake approached.
        Matthew 10:31   Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.
        unfortunately the mass exodus of animals is far easier to arrange than an exodus of humans lol. true though.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76

Human beings have only a few advantages over other animals. The brain, eye sight and the thumb, other than that we are no better or nor  worst than other animals.

Just many humans think we are much better.

3. Shadesbreath profile image76
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

My grandfather was a pilot in WW II.  He was shot down over the Pacific. My grandmother woke up and knew that he'd just been shot down, claims she felt it the instant it happened.  She also knew he was still alive.

When the military chaplains came to tell her he'd been shot down a few days later, she told them she already knew and that he was fine.  They were essentially like, "Uh... okay lady.  Whatever you say.  But we told you."

They found him two days later.  Alive. Still is.

Genesis 2:23   And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

Genesis 2:24   Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

There are no coincidences everything and all is found in the God of the bible.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
        Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

IF to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, then coincidence is a logical fallacy. Stand a thousand dominoes to fall when you trigger the beginning of the chain reaction, the fall of the last domino is NOT due to coincidence. Get it? Don't want to repeat it.

2. Shadesbreath profile image76
        Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, my grandmother would probably agree with that, being a hardcore Christian Scientist.  As for me, I'll give a nod to the "maybe" factor and reckon that if there is something that binds us, the guys writing the Bible were taking a swing at trying to describe it just like all the other religions do. Might just as easily been ESP or an alien was watching the craft and sent her a message.  Or just plain luck.  Not saying it wasn't very cool and trippy though.

I was playing golf with a guy once who, on a 3-par T-box, says to me before he hit, "Dude, if you like golf, you'll like this shot."  He swung and got a hole in one.

The rest of us were like, "Holy crap!!!" 

So, was that God or coincidence?  (I'm making a point, go with it.)

If it was God, why didn't that guy ever make it on the other times he said that about drives or puts or bowling or billiards or basketball or the lottery or that tumor in his lungs etc.?  Why haven't I?

Or is God just selective in when he intervenes.  (Which is a pretty crap system to base religion on; you wouldn't buy a car on that principle if the salesman said, "Hey, this works... uh, sometimes.  Mostly never.  Uh... pretty much always never.  But, it might, someday.  So commit and buy one.)

That's why I don't buy the God thing.  At least any more than I buy lots of other ideas about how the universe and life work.

3. Castlepaloma profile image76

hanging out

How dose the bible coincide with most of the population who are not even aware of the bible. Out of most of these people, they are going to be possessed in a whole different way than you.

That means most everything in the bible dose not connect with most everyone.

1. Jerami profile image59
          Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think that if Jesus had wanted a bible to be written, he would have instructed for it to be done.
             If that were the case and he did in fact give these directions...  It would have been included in scripture that he had done so?

Just something to think about????????   or not!

Mankind has always corrupted the spirit of the written word.
          This is why Gods word has been written in the hearts of mankind.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Sychronicity...

"http://healing.about.com/od/glossary/g/synchronicity.htm"

Definition: Synchronicity is a "happen chance" that occurs that is in perfect alignment with your thoughts or ideas. Often mistaken as coincidences, synchronicities are universal nods, confirming that you are on the right track. Synchronicities can also be road signs that help steer you on to the right track if you are feeling confused or lost in some way.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)