How do you copyright your work?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)
  1. webismine profile image58
    webismineposted 13 years ago

How is it done?

1. kookoo88 profile image61
      kookoo88posted 13 years agoin reply to this

All original works are automatically copywritten as you create them.  You own all rights.  This applies to written, music, artistic and works such as that.

You can file with the Library of Congress if you wish to protect your work.  You own the rights even if you don't but it will help you in a court case.
      You can sell all rights (not recommended) or parts of your rights such as the right to publish to individual companies.

2. profile image0
      the fixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know of another way to PROVE that it is your work and that you created it before anyone else :

Send a copy of the manuscript - drawings - whatever it may be, to yourself by mail with your signature written across the envelope part where it opens. Better yet send it in a postal envelope and here is the important part :

Do not open it when you receive it. That way in a court of law you have a sealed and dated (by the United States Postal Service) item with an official stamp of the day you sent this item to yourself. If need be, the judge opens it up and can see that you created the work before that date.

1. Urbane Chaos profile image90
        Urbane Chaosposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is excellent advice!

When I first started writing for magazines, every professional author told me that I should do this, and I have done so faithfully ever since.  So far, there hasn't been an issue, but I know that I'm protected if ever one arises.  I also send mine certified, but I don't think that's a requirement.

2. kirutaye profile image68
        kirutayeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. This is such a useful advice.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is called 'the poor mans copyright' and it is a myth.  It has no standing in court because anyone who owns a steam kettle can fake it.

1. Urbane Chaos profile image90
          Urbane Chaosposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Still, I'd rather veer on the safe side than not.  If so many other authors have recommended it, then there must be something to it.  Besides, it doesn't hurt..

1. psycheskinner profile image83
            psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't hurt it doesn't help either.  Its lack of any legal standing is covered on most fact-checking and copyright webistes

http://www.snopes.com/legal/postmark.asp
            http://www.intellectlawgroup.com/articles/poormans.html
            http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-g … ml#poorman

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

Your work is automatically protected by copyright from the moment it is fixed in a tangible medium, such as paper or a computer file. There is no need to register it.

If you have something important that you want to secure proof of copyright for, there are various places to register your copyright. One such place is the US Copyright Office, part of the Library of Congress. There is also an international organization, part of the Berne Convention, where you can register your works online; protection is immediate. There are fees for such services, approximately $50-75.

Fiction Factory has written this hub about it, with links to various services:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Protecting-Your-Copyright

3. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

As others have noted, your work is copyright-protected. If I'm not mistaken, however, that only gives you the right to sue for monies that you have actually lost from the copyright violation. Filing for a formal copyright allows you to also sue for punitive damages.

4. KristenGrace profile image60
    KristenGraceposted 13 years ago

I'm glad I found this post here, because it was very helpful to me as well.  Glad all of you had these answers!

5. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

Your work is copyrighted when you write it.  If you want to copyright it through the Federal Government you do get some extra protection as far as what kind of damages you can sue for.

Mailing to yourself or paying some third party company to "register" you somehow (which gives you the same "protection" as mailing to yourself--which is nothing) does little to nothing.  Those are myths, wives tales and, on occasion, scams based on wives tales.

Read up at the copyright office.  Bottom line, don't worry about it, you are covered legally if you find your work ripped off.  The real question is are you going to spend any money on the lawyer to get your rights enforced.

There are some benefits to formal U.S. copyright.  But doing that through them is the only way to get it.  All the other stuff is not worth your time.  Don't pay anyone anything... you're just getting ripped off. 

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/

6. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

Are all of the photos in your hubs free of copyright?

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Photos in hubs are covered by copyright and subject to whatever licensing requirements the creator has decided. Some photos are licensed for free commercial use, normally attribution is required under a Creative Commons license. Some photos are in the public domain and can be used freely, but these are in the minority.

Note that "royalty free" images are not free of copyright. It simply means that once purchased, such images can be used without paying royalties to the creator. So that is like a copyright clearinghouse mechanism.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)