Too complicated

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Annalea's jewelry profile image41
    Annalea's jewelryposted 13 years ago

Sorry, perhaps it's the Christmas season and me being inundated with work and my patience being just a lower than ususal, but I'm offended by my first hubs being rejected as "not meeting our standards" and basically getting no helpful support whatsoever.

It is feeling like too much work to post here, and I've got nothing to prove.

I also don't want to feel like I'm in school again with "teachers" who tell me I passed or not. Come on.

I'm an adult and don't need to feel treated like this.

I came here because a friend is here, perhaps I didn't take enough time to read all through the stuff that apparently needs to be read to join this elitaire circle.

I simply don't have the time. I have plenty of work already.

So.

Now, please help me at least to get my account deleted here, the instructions for this are also insufficient.

Thanks.
    A

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this
  2. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

I've had that happen with several hubs, I just fixed them and made them better.

This site's purpose is to make relevant pages for search engines and there is a standard that needs to be upheld. Your writing might not have been the problem, but there might not have been enough words?

I have been learning every day at this site for 3 months, and I still have a lot to learn. If you are just going to give up on something that is not easy, do what you have to.

good luck

Annalea's jewelryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.

I am not the type who gives up easily, but I am on a low time budget. I must discard things which cost me too much time.

I make jewelry.

This is art, and why am I supposed to write a novel about a pair of earrings?

It would be idle chatter to me.

1. CMHypno profile image83
        CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Presumably because you are hoping to sell the earrings and promote your work?

HubPages is a great platform if you are prepared to put the work in - everything worth doing takes time to learn and master, so why not stick with it until you get the hang of things?

Hello, Hypno,

thank you.

Time is a luxurious thing for me....

2. darkside profile image62
        darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm curious to know exactly how many words you did write that was deemed insufficient?

Hello, Darkside,

I uploaded 2 photos and wrote a short text under them.

If I remember this correctly, I had limited space and used all of it.

I couldn't find any other space to write. It wouldn't let me.

Did I miss it?

2. Peter Hoggan profile image69
          Peter Hogganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It might be idle chatter to you, but not to your CUSTOMERS. Publishing articles on sites like HubPages is a great way to promote your skills and the jewelry you produce. So aim to give the reader something interesting and valuable and differentiate yourself from your competitors. It’s basically marketing after all.

Thank you, Peter. I would have loved to oblige, if I had been given some more  specific advice, but now the staff offered it.

*sigh*

Hope for the obtuse...wink

1. profile image0
              Donna Ferrierposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Anna,

I'm the one who emailed you...I'm not staff, just another hubber. But if I understand you correctly, your entire hub consisted of two photos with captions? If that's true, that's not enough to make a quality article, which is why it was probably flagged as substandard.

You'll want to use your text capsules to write your text. That way you have plenty of space to write (there's no limit to text in the text capsules). 500-1000 words is good for a quality article.

Also use the news capsule at the end of your articles because the search engines like to see fresh content updated daily, and the news capsule provides that (news updates all the time). And finally, through the RSS capsule you can list your latest hubs (when you write more than one).

Also be aware that you cannot have more than two outbound links on one hub or it will be flagged as overly promotional.

You might want to check out mine and several other hubbers' hubs on here to see how they're set up.

3. simeonvisser profile image68
          simeonvisserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, what? You call it quits after three days. Not having enough time is the easiest excuse to quit. Your first few hubs needed some improvement (I don't know what exactly) but that's only a minor setback if you're willing to learn. You can earn nice passive income here but it takes time. Were your hubs overly promotional? In that case, make them more neutral and write more about jewelry.

Please don't assume things about me, like using excuses to quit.

I say exactly what I think.

To answer your questions:

I don't know what the problem was.

I need clear instructions and I was offered help now, for which I am thankful.

I will probably only have time after Christmas though.

3. Annalea's jewelry profile image41

I'm sure there weren't enough words.

I think I'll try again...smile

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

You’re gonna have to spend time learning the HP editor. It’s a lot easier than learning HTML. Trust me.smile

3. Flightkeeper profile image67
      Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Have you tried Etsy.com?  That may be more appropriate for what you want to do.

1. nlthomas profile image60
        nlthomasposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was about to suggest using Etsy as well. I did it for a while for my bath and body products. Thing is, you really cannot just post and hope to make a sale, especially with a market as large as jewelry. You'd have to be active in the forums and become part of the community. You'll have to market yourself, run sales and buy from other members.

Doing so will offer brand recognition. I was amazed how many of my customers kept coming back asking when I'd be making more of my lip balm once I closed shop. Sadly, I no longer had the funds to afford insurance else I'd still be selling over there.

You can also make your own blog showcasing your work and then promote that blog to make sales. I honestly don't think Hubpages is the place to sell items unless they're a brand that's already well-known. Reason I say this is because folks will search for those items in Google, whereas finding jewelry will bring up too many results to offer you much traffic.

4. profile image0
      WildIrisposted 13 years ago

Annalea~

If you kept your photo capsules and added text boxes that were a description of your jewelry, the process of making it, why it is important to you to make quality jewelry, what makes it special, etc. it would benefit your business, especially since you could link it to your website and your website could link back to HubPages.

P.S. I think time is at a premium for many. There are somethings that just become the bride too far and get abandon even if they're great because there isn't enough of you to go around.

Best of luck in the New Year!
      Iris

5. profile image0
      BenjaminBposted 13 years ago

In the same amount of time that you used to post replies on this thread you could have written an acceptable amount of words to have a Hub that would not be flagged as substandard.

If you are truly trying to promote your business and gain traffic to a website with Hubs then you would not gain much just by a couple of pictures anyway and there is probably nowhere on the internet where you could find a site that would be any different in those regards.

If you do not have time to learn the proper way to do it then you may want to look into buying articles then posting them places.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)