Ear Candling - W.T.F. ?? - Anyone experienced this?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Eric Graudins profile image61
    Eric Graudinsposted 15 years ago

Hi,

I'm being encouraged to have my ears cleaned out by a process called "Ear Candling".

I know nothing about it, but basically it involves setting fire to a roll of material that has been inserted in your ear.
    It's supposed to totally clean your ears out by creating air currents that draw all the gunk in your ears up into the cloth.

I've never heard of this process, and am pretty skeptical that it would work.
    In fact, it sounds a bit dangerous (yep - I'm a woos.)

Anyone care to comment - (On the candling process - not my degree of woosness smile )
    Thanks,
    Eric g.

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Looks like fun big_smile

Yet I really doubt it does what is advertised...

3. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 15 years ago

I knew a girl over ten years ago that swore by it.  She used it on her kids.  I'd sure keep my hair out of the way!   LOL   Good luck with it.  I can assure you that it's been around a long time.

4. KCC Big Country profile image85

Thanks for sharing the YouTube video, Sir Dent.  That was interesting!

5. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 15 years ago

It is an old time remedy. I have never had it personally, but have heard of it.  My mom preferred a less extreme method of melting the ear gunk, by dripping warmed olive oil into the ear.

6. KCC Big Country profile image85

The second video was a bit cheesy....but a good simple demonstration.  The guy just lit her candle and left her to handle the rest on her own.  He could have helped!   LOL

7. goldentoad profile image61
    goldentoadposted 15 years ago

its a trip and it works

8. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

Um, sounds dangerous.  I'd never do it.  See a doctor instead?

9. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago
    1. KCC Big Country profile image85
      KCC Big Countryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

At first I wasn't buying into their experiment since they had the candle placed at an odd angle (compared to the other videos I've seen)....but when they cut it open, assuming nothing was altered in the filming......it sure looks like the build-up is only the build-up caused by the candle and not the removal of anything.

On a similar note......I've read somewhere (sorry, I don't remember where in order to properly give them credit) that the products you buy to do the colon cleansing where they show you the 3 ft long slimy pieces of supposed-buildup, that it's actually the coagulation of the product in your system that you're passing.  Nice ploy if that's what they're doing.  Selling you something to remove something only for it to be their very own product forming the 'something' you end up removing.  LOL  (Hope that made sense).

10. profile image0
    SirDentposted 15 years ago

When I worked in coal mines I used to use peroxide once a week to clean my ears. Some say it isn't good but it did the job for me. I would just put a couploe drops in my ear and let it boil for a few minutes. Then I would do the other ear.

11. seemorebangkok profile image59
    seemorebangkokposted 15 years ago

It's mainly done in Asian countries especially in China and it's been practiced like a thousand years. I've seen it done in barber shops and general gathering places in Beijing. Since there's billions of Chinese today they must be onto something.

12. gwendymom profile image68
    gwendymomposted 15 years ago

I have done ear candling on myself, my husband and my children. I really didn't think it helped that much but I know many people that swear by it. Save yourself the expense of having it done at a salon or some other place that is going to charge you a fortune and go to just about any health food store and you can buy about 6 for $10.00 or so. BTW, use a paper plate with a hole cut in it to protect yourself from the burning candle.

13. Eric Graudins profile image61
    Eric Graudinsposted 15 years ago

@Misha,
    I tend to agree with you.
    I can't see that flame generating any updraft through the tube at all - and certainly not enough to suck anything out of your ear.

It seems that this is as silly as that other strange habit people do.

Rolling up tobacco in bits of paper, sticking it into their mouth, and then setting fire to it.
    Thanks, Eric G.

(I looked at a couple of those clips - bloody hilarious! )

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Actually Eric, it does work - but I don't know any western doctors that recommend it, because it can apparently be dangerous if there's any infection present in the ear (and sometimes, if your ear is clogged, that's why it's clogged).

14. sunforged profile image72
    sunforgedposted 15 years ago

My girlfriends family swears by it...although it does disgust me, i have seen the results, I believe the heat melts the wax and causes a small vacuum, a lot of gunk does come out of their heads, they claim they can hear better and their equilibrium is better. i dont know

But i did take a cool picture of it once. thought it seemed kind of spooky if you didnt know what was going on

http://bit.ly/12nSm1

You will notice they use foil to protect the 83 year old womans head...Im not sure a paper plate would be very wise, lol

15. sunstreeks profile image81
    sunstreeksposted 15 years ago

My doctor said a few drops of baby oil can loosen up some ear junk when I asked for my daughter.. Might be something easier to try first.

Maybe try baby oil first, suck it out with a baby nasal aspirator.. Seems like it would be more effective.

16. WHoArtNow profile image82
    WHoArtNowposted 15 years ago

I've had it done, it's fine as long as you protect your ear somewhat. I think they use beeswax candles, or at least they do when I have it done! It pulls out so much crap!

I use to use warm olive oil, but the woman who does my acupuncture once a week gives me a free ear clean out once a month, so I just let her do it! Especially as the acupuncture is covered by the NHS (ha ha ha, national health service rules!!)

17. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 15 years ago

I'd go with my Granny's line that you should never put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear.

18. Andromeda10 profile image67
    Andromeda10posted 15 years ago

Haha I like that line. When asked that "stranded on a desert island" line I always say Q-Tips. Even a clean ear freak like me wouldn't be able to handle fire!

19. dagny roth profile image70
    dagny rothposted 15 years ago

Okay...here's the scoop on ear candling.  I have done it. In fact, I must admit I have developed a strange enjoyment to ear candling.  There is something very gratifying about sticking that sucker in your ear and unwrapping the candle (yes, I unwrap mine) to discover the treasures which have just been extracted from your ears.  It is too much fun!  The immediate gratification is pleasing.  Where else can you actually see the end result of your toils in relation to self grooming?  Now don't be concerned.  I am not a complete weirdo.  For example, I don't analyze my poo.  Just thought I would share.

1. MBP42 profile image61
      MBP42posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Way too much information. I don't think candling does very much. My audiologist (hearing doc) recommends a mix of hydrogen peroxide and water, you mix 50/50 and use a cup to slowly pour a small amount (a capful of peroxide and a cap of water) into the ear, the gook will bubble and run out. If that isn';t enough a hot shower and q tips usually work for most people. If the gunk in your ear is worse than that or reddish orange you may have an infection and should see the ENT (ear nose throat doctor)

20. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL Q-tips always do the trick for me without any mysterious devices that defy basic laws of physics lol

Yet another water-for-gas coupled with lemon cleanse big_smile

21. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 15 years ago

I have done it before. There is slight pressure while it is happening. It is pretty gross to see the contents after it is done. I haven't done it in a while and won't do it again... because the last time I got an ear infection sad I would stick with cotton swabs!

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

For all those of you saying you'll stick with Q-tips or cotton buds, do you know how dangerous that is?  You should never put anything smaller than your little finger in your ear - anything smaller can cause serious damage (which you may not fully appreciate till years later).

1. Colebabie profile image61
        Colebabieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Cotton swabs are made to clean the opening of the ear canal and not the ear canal itself. It is perfectly safe to clean around the ear cartilage and the opening, it shouldn't be pressed into the ear of course smile

1. MBP42 profile image61

Doesn't everyone already know not to put the q tip into the ear canal all that does is push the wax further into the ear canal.

2. MBP42 profile image61

Doesn't everyone already know not to put the q tip into the ear canal all that does is push the wax further into the ear canal.

2. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, who scared you THAT much? yikes

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)