what is the difference between belief and superstition?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (62 posts)
  1. profile image0
    jomineposted 13 years ago

isn't it just what i believe is "believe" and what others believe superstition? is isn't all religious beliefs just superstition?

1. kess profile image61
      kessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Belief and superstition are related but not exactly the same.

Belief birth superstion.

Two persons may believe exactly the same thing, but only one has the truth understanding of it.

Now the one without understanding diverts into superstition
      While the one with the understanding moves on into Faith.

1. profile image51
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Please explain a little more. The Atheists don't believe in the Creator-God; are they superstitious people?

1. kess profile image61

since they lack truth in their belief, they also are superstitious.

1. profile image0
            jomineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

what is truth?

1. kess profile image61

hmmmmmm......

To not know Truth is to be in the dark.

2. getitrite profile image72
        getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It appears that "understanding" is another term for your personal delusion, as oppsed to another person's delusion.

Do not mistake, both are equally delusional and superstitious.

One can also move into faith in superstition as well.

1. kess profile image61

I hope you can see that you have not excluded your own self from the cycle of delusion......

As for me I know the Truth.

1. getitrite profile image72

"Truth" or delusion?

1. kess profile image61

what you see is what it is.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Whether the belief is objective accurate/true.

2. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years ago

Belief in anything that is not based on reality is superstition. All religion is superstition.

3. stilljustwonderin profile image59
    stilljustwonderinposted 13 years ago

The difference between belief and superstition is experiences.
    If you experience something it is a reality, you will believe it.
    If you don't experience it, then it is only hear say and with out proof you won't believe it.  Not having proof doesn't make that experience any less real.  It is faith.

1. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So, let me get that right.

Someone is on LSD. He thinks he can fly. He jumps from a 20 storey building. He doesn't fly. Is that reality?

Someone is running down the street. He is screaming at the top of his voice. It appears he thinks that there is an elephant charging him. Nobody else can see the elephants. Eventually, he collapses. They take him to hospital. They discover he has schitzophrenia. Are the elephants real because he thinks they are real.

Your reasoning belongs in the realm called fuzzy logic.

Just because one believes something doesn't make it real.

1. stilljustwonderin profile image59
        stilljustwonderinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well no, I was considering people with a sound mind.  No mental problems, people not under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

1. profile image0

@stilljustwonderin...

So, consider a woman who is head over heels in love with a rogue who is messing around with other women. She believes with all her heart that he is loyal to her and loves her as much as she loves him. One day, she discovers that nothing could be further from the truth - that in reality he was just after a meal ticket! She had loads of money...

Does the fact that she believed he loved her make it real?

No, in my opinion the love wasn't real.  The man was obviously a good actor when he was with her, for her to feel the love.

1. profile image0

So, you're admitting that what this women felt might not have been real, even though she felt it?

Obviously it was real for her.  In my opinion it wasn't real love.

What if you only THINK you are experiencing something?  Is it real or a delusion? 

And if you THINK you are experiencing something that has been proven to be a superstitious myth, does it become REAL just because you have faith?

Since all religions are superstitions, I don't understand how faith, somehow, magically changes them.  How absurd.

What if you ARE experiencing something?  No drugs, no alcohol.  Is it not real because some one who hasn't experienced it doesn't believe it?

Spiritual experiences has not been disproved

1. Beelzedad profile image58
          Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Most certainly though, they have been shown to be indistinguishable from other mental disorders of varying degree and magnitude.

As well, the laws of physics do not support the existence of spirits, notwithstanding their origins are firmly planted in myth and superstition.

Your claim has as much credibility as if you said unicorns and leprechauns have not been disproved. smile

The laws of physics do not support the existence of spirits.  How ever they can not disprove the existence.

It would appear the English language is not being understood here, is there some other language I should use? Do you not understand what it means when it says the laws of physics do not support spirits? It means they cannot possibly exist, and they don't. The fact that your belief system supports those delusions without a shred of evidence does not in any way preclude these laws and what they do and don't support.

And, while I know you don't understand any of those laws due in part to your religious indoctrination, it would be quite dishonest of you to begin questioning their capacity of support.

Maybe you should use Klingon.

2. hanging out profile image61
                hanging outposted 13 years agoin reply to this

do the laws of physics support angels? Do the laws of physics support the ascension of jesus or of his calming storms?
                The laws of physics are only examples of observation not statements of what would happen IF something else occurred.

you put far too much faith in the laws of physics and blindly too i might add

Of course not, those are just fairy tales.

The fact that believers don't understand those laws should at the very least dissolve their credibility in opining on the limitations or expectations of those laws. The fact that some do have an understanding of those laws does not require they have blind faith in them.

Your faith is in the invisible and undetectable, hardly a position to be arguing about blind faith. smile

If it makes no sense(and no drugs or alcohol is involved)then my mental state is what would come into question.

So you have no problem admitting that I have talked to Thor and Zeus, since you can't disprove it?

Oh, and they talked back too!

My mental state has never come into question by people who know me.  On the contrary,  I have been asked how I have stayed sane with all the things that has happened.

No, since I can't disprove that you have talked with Thor and Zeus, I wouldn't argue with you about it.

1. profile image0

then why don't you believe it?

3. profile image0

@ Stilljustwonderin...

Atheist or Agnostic,as I am, I'm going to agree with you that spiritual experience can be very real. In fact, I'm going to say that Karen Armstrong (one time as vigorous in her view of atheism as Richards Dawkins) now agrees.

However, it is the interpretation of this spiritual experience where we disagree....

I have different interpretations for the spirit world.  I do believe in God, and he is spirit.   I have had experiences with both. 

I have a picture that was taken with a polaroid camera years ago.  A lady in her death bed with her sons standing by her bed.  There are other images in the picture which were not seen by the people in the room.  A sweet transparent face, and also a man standing between 2 of the sons, an arm around each one.  Of course I can't prove this because I will not impose on this family's privacy by posting this picture.  But this picture does exist as much as I do.

We don't agree?  That's fine.  We can agree to disagree.  I have no problem with that.  We each have the right.

1. profile image0

Yes, we can. smile

4. profile image0
    bulldog53posted 13 years ago

In my opinion; Belief is something you do or have been brought up to believe. Superstition is old folk lore voodoo; witchcraft is something people are drawn too not that they really believe

1. profile image0

One can believe in superstition.
      One can believe the facts.
      Belief is the noun.
      Believe is the verb.

It means to think that something is real.

It may be real. It may not be real. Some people believe only in things that their eyes can see, their hands can touch, and their ears can hear. Other people believe in things that have been proven to be complete nonsense. Still other people believe in things that cannot be proved or disproved.

Incidentally, the reason so many believe that superstition and religion is the same thing is that both claim things that cannot be scientifically verified. In addition, they are so absurd in the face of logic that those who use deduction and circumstantial or collaborative evidence find that they don't stand up very well.

5. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

What is the difference between belief and superstition?

The Universe and the life in it is Work of the Creator-God; and all law on which the nature works, are embodied in a very simple and beautiful form called Word of the Creator-God. Superstition is which neither exists in real in the nature or Work of God nor in the Word of God.

Saying that the Universe is the work of Creator-God is just as superstitious as saying the Toothfairy is the one who put the money under my pillow.

1. profile image51

Did I say that the Toothfairy put anything under your pillow? I don't believe any Toothfairy.

You might as well have said it.  Can you not see how your God-Allah is exactly the same, as far as superstition goes?

6. saleheensblog profile image60
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

All superstition is belief but not all belief is not superstition

1. profile image0

???? You used a double negative? Intentional?

Your sentence then becomes
      All superstition is belief and all belief is superstition...

7. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Not to believe in the Creator-God is simple superstition; it is just like one sees sun and one won't believe in it; it is neither proved by science no vouched by religion.

1. profile image0

The difference is that one can see the sun with one's eyes and feel the heat on one's body and 7 billion people on this planet can.

That's very different from religion in which everybody who is religious sees the god they want to see and hears what they want the god to say.

That is called delusion.

1. profile image51

The blind cannot see sun; and in the winter in very cold coutries there won't be sometimes heat; yet the even the blind would believe that there is sun; if he does not believe he is superstituos.

You may also take the example of the stars which have no heat that could be felt by humans.

That's not superstitious, that's simply having no knowledge of something.  For years scientist had no knowledge of microbes.  Did that make them superstitious?

That's only because of the distance.

1. profile image51

If a blind man insists that the stars don't exist; will he be right to do so?

No, but to say that the blind man is superstitious lacks any logic.  This surely is desperation--abject!

2. profile image0

paarsurrey what is that special sense organ you got with which you see your god?

That's absolutely absurd.  No one has seen this imaginary Creator-Allah, yet we see the sun rising everyday.

Wow!  This is an extreme pleading for the accceptance of nonsense.

8. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

The difference is how many other people you can get to play along.

9. hanging out profile image61
    hanging outposted 13 years ago

superstition is any blindly accepted belief or notion.

Belief in God is neither blind nor blindly accepted and neither is it just a notion.

The ones who scream out "wheres the proof of God?" are (not coincidently) the ones who DON'T beleive in God.

The christians all have their proof.

say what you want, believe what you want but until you getitright you will forever be wanting proof.

Yes, and belief and worship of an imaginary deity fits that definition perfectly.

It is completely the opposite, and you know it.  Since religion is based in abject nonsense, the only way to become a victim to it, is to surrender your mind, and become a blind obedient subject.

If we just blindly believed in God there would be no need for proof.  But nonbelievers don't buy that garbage, just on fear and blind faith.  So, logically, we are only asking YOU for proof, because YOU keep telling us about this entity of which YOU never produce any evidence at all--NONE!

So it appears(according to the trained observer)that we are just being lied to.  Imagine that.  Why would believers lie to us?  I would be ashamed. 

Yes, that would be called delusion.

It has become a moot point.  There will never be any proof of the nonsense you were trick into believing. 

It is no longer about proof.  We know that you don't have any, and never will have any, because your beliefs are absurd.

But it would be nice if believers would just shut up about religion, unless they can prove it.  All claims should be verified upon request from the person one is trying to persuade.  Any other type of mindset is childish irresponsible nonsense.

1. hanging out profile image61

LOL
        I have no fear of God. Oh how is that possible you ask.. because i walk in his ways and we have this relationship ( i know you can't get your head around that concept so consider yourself and your posts lamed out) and because i walk in his ways i see Gods hand working in my life all the time, every day.
        There is no blind faith, thats just a phrase the unknowing throw around when they run out of vocabulary. (putting it mildly lol)

As my post said.. the UNbelieving think its all blind faith lol  and as my post said, the christians have their proof.. do you call me a liar? I can say WOC has her proof of God and her faith is not blind and i am right. You say she doesnt because you cant believe or see any proof yourself then you are lying.

sucks huh.

2. profile image0

hanging out kindly know that you cannot prove or disprove something that exists, you can only see it or touch (that is feel with your sense organs) or you can explain it.  kindly explain your god that no sane believer has ever seen.

1. hanging out profile image61

hahaha.. kindly know.. that in the world a train set is lovely but until you get into the hobby of trains you will never know the vast world and variety of stuff that is available. It is endless.

This is the life of the christian.
        The depths in God are unlimited, his power amazing.
        Christ said "those with eyes to see and ears to hear", ME. He also said "that others (not of his flock) were hard of heart and dull of hearing and blind" YOU

no wonder you have no proof.
        The proof of the pudding is in the making of the pudding, not the looking at the ingredients.

10. Dian'swords4u profile image60
    Dian'swords4uposted 13 years ago

Belief is something that is founded and based on facts.  Superstition is unfounded and lacks truth.  If you believe in something you put your faith in it.  If it is superstition, then there is nothing to put your faith in.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Excuse me, a belief is not founded and based on facts. If you "know" something it is factual. If you "believe" something is factual, isn't the same.

I wrote a hub about Knowing versus Belief. There is a difference.
      Some might say there is some karmic truth to some superstitions. The ability to distinguish which ones are part of the natural order of life or not, is in the conscious mind.

11. C.V.Rajan profile image58
    C.V.Rajanposted 13 years ago

If my belief synchronizes with your belief, then it is belief.

If my belief does not fit with your belief, then mine is superstition for you!

12. Dian'swords4u profile image60
    Dian'swords4uposted 13 years ago

My reasoning for my statement was if I know something to be factual then I will believe in it.  Most people do not believe in something that they do not know to be true or factual.  If someone tells me that they are lucky or that they believe in the good luck of a rabbit's foot, then this is superstition to me.  Ther is nothing that has made this an actual fact. I do not believe in good luck.  Theres is a reaon for all things happening the way they do.  I base my my biefs on fact.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The problem is you're substituting words for others, which is distorting the meanings. If you know something, then it is beyond a belief.
      And, that would be the proper way to use beliefs. Beliefs are in essence faith supported guess.
      Agreed, rabbit's foot is superstition.
      Good to know. wink

2. profile image51

I agree that one should believe in truth, reality and the facts.
      Myths should not be believed.

The Quran is full of myths. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)