American muscle or European superiority?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (27 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Wadey101mposted 15 years ago

American products always seem to be bigger and better than what us Europeans can do, except when it comes to the car/automobile. Every car that America can produce, the Europeans always seem to do better. Is there any American car out there that cannot be beaten by something European bred?

1. WHoArtNow profile image81
      WHoArtNowposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I don;t know what part of Europe you come from, but Us British can hold our own against the USA!

And your also missing out on the technology and reliability kings, the Japs.

But when it comes to cars, I would say there is only one type of vehicle that the Yanks make way way way better than the Europeans. Pick up trucks...

1. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image61
        JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Tata, India is going to launch a small car "Nano" on 23rd March. It will be the cheapest car in the world, cost only $2000 !!!
        In this particular time of world wide recession / slowdown is not cheapest the best?

Jyoti Kothari

1. BristolBoy profile image62
          BristolBoyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well normally but I believe the Nano comes with many things which come as standard in new cars sold in Europe now.  Also I have heard that they will not meet the current EU legislation on safety for cars.

2. profile image0
        Wadey101mposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Britain use to be able to, but we can no longer count ourselves as a worthy competitor as we don't own any major car companies so the credit lies else where.

The Japanese are in a league of their own, and I thought it was a little unfair including them in the comparison. Must hand it to them, they sure know how to produce reliable cars.

3. Junkster profile image61
        Junksterposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I'd go with Japanese or German cars personally, nothing "english" is english anymore, all owned by foreign companies and the only thing british is the badge on the front of the car.

American cars sure do suck though, there's a few standouts like the Mustang GT or the Shelby GT500 but there's so many random cack models, mostly "SUVs"

Can't beat the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 8, I love that car, or the R34 Skyline GTR.  Beasts

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Care to give a few examples of these "products"?

Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better either.

1. BDazzler profile image78
        BDazzlerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Single Barrel Jack

Caterpillar D10 Bull Dozer

(I don't recommend mixing the two, though)

Errr, Jack is out done by every single Scottish Whiskey, and some Irish ones too!

1. Mark Knowles profile image59

Beg to differ. Single Barrel Jack Daniels is the finest sippin' whiskey on the planet. and completely different to scotch or irish whisky. smile

Gentleman Jack is pretty damn fine too...

1. Sufidreamer profile image78
              Sufidreamerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I have had single barrel Jack - very nice, but still prefer a Scottish single malt. Was lucky enough to sample a 40 year old malt once - Happy Days smile

As for pick-ups - the Taliban approved indestructible Toyota.

So do Top Gear, they got hold of an hold Hilux and totally destroyed it, still managed to get it running. They even put it on top of a building, for when the building was brought down (blown up!) and they STILL got it working.

I use to have one. Totally rock solid, very very hard to write off.

Well, unless you get hit up the arse by a sleeping 44 tonne artic (big rig).

Ouch, my back still spasms thinking about it.

Andre

1. Sufidreamer profile image78
                  Sufidreamerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I saw that Top Gear - we get it over here! They are an awesome piece of engineering, but it looks like it met its match with the truck!

1. profile image0
                    Wadey101mposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree, with pick ups, the Hilux owns. Was only one example though, knowing my luck if I had one and did that, it wouldn't work! :-)

2. BDazzler profile image78

One of my best friends is a fan of single malt Scotch, I bought him some 15 year old single malt to toast his daughter's future at her wedding ... it wasn't bad, but I still prefer Gentleman Jack or Single Barrel.

2. BDazzler profile image78

Aren't the barrels used to make Scotch just left overs from the Jack Daniels distillery?

2. WeddingConsultant profile image67
    WeddingConsultantposted 15 years ago

The answer to your question (American muscle or European superiority) is Asian invasion, my friend.

IMHO:
    Asian cars= reliable
    European cars= fancy
    US cars= crap, except for pickup trucks

I know that's a serious over generalization, but that's the shortened version.

3. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Well, I would take  Toyota pickup over just about any US one - unless I wanted to haul ten million tons or whatever it is the Ford F-950 can pull big_smile

Dazzler - I concede on the Single Barrel. smile

4. WeddingConsultant profile image67
    WeddingConsultantposted 15 years ago

Eh, you might be right. As you can tell I don't think too highly of US vehicles in general. Had only one, hated it, won't buy one again. Now we've got just Japanese (Mazda, Nissan and Yamaha motorcycle)...

And yes, the F250, 350, 450s are quite excessive, esp. when thinking of fuel economy. I've been considering purchasing a pickup truck recently (that is, after the depression is over), and if I did get one, it would be a small one. Maybe the Nissan Frontier (a little big though), Mazda B series truck or the Toyota Tacoma.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59

Toyota Tacoma any day. Although - I would think the depression will be a great time to buy - eventually they are going to have to discount the crap out of new cars. smile

If you have cash anyway. Seeing as they just started printing money, you might as well spend it before it is worthless. big_smile

5. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

Well, I would argue that with the planet in its current dire straits, there is no place for "muscle" in cars. Very few people really need a high-powered car except to bolster their ego or soothe their mid-life crisis.

6. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 15 years ago

Someone sent me this about the Buick LaCross and Lexus a couple of days ago.  I thought it was kind of interesting:

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article. … tid=435214

7. Lisa HW profile image61

Someone sent me this about the Buick LaCross and Lexus a couple of days ago.  I thought it was kind of interesting:

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article. … tid=435214

8. Lisa HW profile image61

Oops - I just tried to include a link to an article about an America car, but I think there was a problem because it was seen as "advertising".  That wasn't my intention.  (And now I don't know how to delete any previous efforts that I'm not sure about, as far as as whether they'll end up posted or not.)

9. profile image53
    crazyeye73posted 15 years ago

Well lets think about it! American muscle is just that muscle. Compare a naturaly aspirated 500 horsepower American Ford to a SUPERCHARGED and TWIN TURBO jap trap or European Sedan, either Mercedes or BMW your chossing. I have had all kinds of cars from VW Bugs, Rabbits, Golfs, Mercedes 190s, BMW 325s, Chevrolet Camaros, Ford Mustangs and the list goes on and on. There is no comparsion between the 60s Muscle cars of America and the junk that everybody else is producing. Just compare todays SRT-8, Shelby Mustang, and other American Muscle cars to what the competition is building, its mind numbing, no comparsion. American Muscle will always be the front runner in my book. Then again this is just my opinion, yours may differ but I stand my ground American Muscle Rules!!

10. profile image0
    deanstar888posted 15 years ago

HEY...what about our little ol Aussie Cars ? I regularly thrash the backside off Audis, Beemers, Mercs and the odd Sports Car. Chryslers don't even figure in the equation...check out our version of the Ford GT. Since its inseption in 1967 as the fastest 4 door car on the planet it has evolved somewhat and may not be everyones cup of tea but I love my baby to bits...she's one year old in a couple of weeks!

1. Junkster profile image61
      Junksterposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Fair point, you guys did have the Vauxhall Monaro (holden) first, and that is one sexy machine.  MY dad works at Vauxhall and it's the first car he's liked that they actually make!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)