Are you addicted to reality tv

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (63 posts)
  1. Julie2 profile image59
    Julie2posted 13 years ago

Bring it on people...

1. profile image0
      ssaulposted 13 years agoin reply to this

really tv took over everything, the substance of the shows just crazy, just goes to show which direction tv taking! it bores me so much i resort to watching cartoons with my son.

1. profile image52
        ameyer13posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree, reality TV has become quite a monstrosity, I have some favorite shows that are really interesting to me, some are educational and some are just for fun. I would however like to see a reality show where it's more reality and not a play put off as reality. I happen to work for Dish Network so I of course also subscribe as well, I find myself getting more premium channels than regular programming because of the content and of course the price is good. I used to Direct TV and besides reality shows, I was always feeling like I was paying a lot more than I should be considering the amount of programming I was getting. So I switched, I was able to get HD receivers for free which is my big thing. HD is such a difference from the old school type of picture I was used to watching. Now when I am having a need for TV, I'm watching the shows and movies I really like in a beautiful array of vividness!

Julie2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sounds really good.

2. tony0724 profile image60
      tony0724posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Only " Survivor ". After that I have three favorite shows.

#1 The NFL pregame show
      #2 NFL Football
      #3 The NFL Postgame show

Otherwise I am reading and writing.

3. IntimatEvolution profile image69
      IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can't stand reality TV.  It actually has helped wean me off TV.  Which is a good thing.  I once was really absorbed by TV, and had stopped reading, and challenging my mind.  So it was a good thing for me.  Now I just watch the History channel, or the National Geographic channel.

4. profile image48
      garystuffposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thankfully not addicted, in fact almost allergic to it - it does give people a sense of community, although it is purely vicarious - and if you do not have any problems that prevent you getting out and about I suggest the odd bit of charity work may fill the 'meaningfully human interactive hole' that many addicts are trying to fill (it's like dropping chocolate coins in a piggy bank)

Impressive statement.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Thank you for this question.

I find reality tv the dumbest, most pathetic type shows to ever be aired on any form of video. Plain and simple.

You are terrible Cagsil, lol but sooo right!
      I find them hilarious!

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Now why do you say that..... if you didn't know any better, reality tv is just a tool to keep the on-going myth that it is better to have intimate knowledge of other people's life than to not have it.

How is it your business what goes on in the house or life of others?

Seriously, how does your life benefit? How does their life benefit?

Neither does- it's just a facade.

You are right. I know its a facade, it's just one of the ways I can take a break from my own reality.

Then turn the TV off, read a book or watch a movie. You're just supporting the facade. hmm

2. TamCor profile image82
            TamCorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And you have every right to take a break from reality in whatever way you want to, since it's YOURS!!!  smile

thank you TamCor wink

Hey Julie, you take a break from reality? Yet, you watch reality tv? Interesting action. lol

Ironic isn't it?! wink

Ironic isn't a word I'd use. lol

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Nope... I don't even watch the Amazing Race anymore.

4. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

I do not even understand shows like this. It's a complete waste of time.

5. ImChemist profile image57
    ImChemistposted 13 years ago

NOO

6. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

Let's just say I named my new baby boy "Snooki"

7. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years ago

I'm addicted to finding music I haven't heard before.

8. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...no....not addicted to any tv......music - yes!

9. profile image56
    FStevensposted 13 years ago

I wasn't until tool academy came on and now I might have to say yes!

10. Julie2 profile image59

My two teens watch the Jersey Shore. I sat to watch it with them to see what it was about and could not believe the drama. I just laughed at alot of the idiocy that goes on.

I like to watch the shows my kids get into at least once or twice to make sure that they aren't to crazy.

One show that is a bit loco is the Jersey Shore which I watch with my teens because its just funny and we have a good time watching it. During the commercials they ask me questions on why this person did this and why I think they act this way or that way.

It gives me that opening to talk to them about friends, who they may like and how not to act. Teenagers like to shut themselves down alot and this is one way for me to keep that line of communication open with them.

It was either getting into one of the shows or the music they listen to in order to relate and I can not stand the music they like! LOL

lol lol lol

I know I know I'm a nut! sad
        arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Cagsil I forgot to tell you its good to see you back on the forums....

11. pilesnoway profile image61
    pilesnowayposted 13 years ago

I am a reality show fan. So yes! lol
    I love the Amazing Race and Survivor..Fear Factor too...

But I must admit that some shows like Big Brother are "somewhat" scripted since they are very leading to what will happen and what the staff wishes to happen. It may not be reality at all--no, not totally, just a picturesque of reality. I watch them though and still watching them.

12. Ellarose92 profile image59
    Ellarose92posted 13 years ago

Ahhhh yes i'm in love with all reality shows but i do believe some are getting out of hand like bridalplasty but for the most part they are truly addicting

13. Docmo profile image91
    Docmoposted 13 years ago

Not addicted - but we end up watching I'm a celebrity  ( celebrity survivor type  in UK) and Strictly come dancing ( Dancing with stars in US)every week when they are on as well as the X- factor!

Hey Docmo, one of the celebrities from the UK that was on that show, just posed in Playboy. lol

1. Docmo profile image91
        Docmoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

which one and which issue :-)?

The issue I just received yesterday. smile Feb. 2011

1. Docmo profile image91

Will check it out, ta very much.

You're welcome. She is really HOT! smile

1. Docmo profile image91

Just got the issue- mainly for the articles - of course ;-)

You're not wrong- Kayla Collins was really hot on the show too. Some outstanding bikinis! and now this. phew.

2. Julie2 profile image59

I have to check this out too... Will show my hubby, THANKS!!!!

14. Mike's Corner profile image70
    Mike's Cornerposted 13 years ago

Reality TV is the worst thing to happen to the world.Yet, I can't stop watching Jersey Shore . . . maybe I can be on the show Intervention smile

I can not wait to see the episode where Ronnie gets punched by Sammy. If I was his mother I would have gone after that chick! LOL

1. Mike's Corner profile image70
        Mike's Cornerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No doubt . . .  she's whacked . . . I wonder if she'll start dating Ronnie clone after she belts real Ronnie

I was thinking that maybe J-Woww and Ronnie might hook up now...
          Scandolous!!!

15. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

I find it most ironic that Reality TV is technically anything but reality.  I started off not watching any of it, but then came along American Idol.  I enjoy watching talent competition - nothing wrong with talent! 

Then I began watching Hells Kitchen - cooking's a talent, right?  lol  (I don't really watch it anymore, though) 

Then I started watching America's Next Top Model - love Tyra, and discovered modeling actually does take talent.  Beauty is secondary or third-ary (? LOL) 

Next I watched Celebrity Apprentice - about the time I was going through the BS at my job...I was hoping to see a similar resolution, lol, glad to see it wasn't even close to what I was going through!

Now, I hardly watch any of them - I forget their on because real life is becoming more and more important to me. smile

16. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

I hate all reality shows.  The only reality shows I used to watch were Gilligan's Island (mainly because the girls were always hot as sin).  Then there was a couple of seasons where I tried watching shows like "Beauty and the Geek" and "Average Joe", but those shows royally depress me.  Mainly because these average joes and geeks remind me a lot of myself in my younger days around hot girls.  lol  However, that's another story for another time. big_smile

I know my family always keeps bugging me to watch True Tv, to which I'll admit it's funny seeing random strangers doing stupid crap. Unfortunately, it just get's boring after a while to me.  I mean how many freaking times can watching a jerk doing something stupid repeatedly still seem funny?  I'm sorry, but it loses it's appeal after a while. 

That's why I don't watch anymore reality shows, as most of them are generically stupid.  Although I do love the cartoon series, "Total Drama", as it pokes fun of stereotypes about reality shows.  Yes, I like watching cartoons, as I'm like Seinfeld in the a sense where they remind us of our youths.  Not that I'm comparing myself to Jerry Seinfeld, but I'm just saying we have that one aspect in common. 

However, the only reality show I ever watch these days is the celebrity apprentice.  Those episodes are good, but I was a bit disappointed that Joan Rivers won the last one though....

17. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

I used to be quite hooked on Survivor for a few years. So hooked, in fact, I sent in several audition tapes for the show.  Never go the call for Survivor, but got called on another one. 

Once I participated in 'Real Nightmares' (never aired, shelved) I lost the reality bug. I guess I lost my zeal once I knew how the casting process went and got a taste of what it's really like. What I thought was fascinating about some of the reality shows is the interaction between people. Not necessarily the fighting, but the reasoning behind some decision.

I don't know, most of them are dumb. But there are a few I enjoy watching and try to learn a little about goup interaction.

donotfear, Will you be trying out for any others soon?

18. Julie2 profile image59

American Idol auditions have been good and funny as hell too! tongue

19. Julie2 profile image59

Just two more days of American Idol Auditions.

Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Reunion was crazy! You're delusional, no I'm not! Hahahaha.

Jersey Shore was just nuts! Sammy always the victim and drama. Ughhh. LOL

20. profile image52
    angelarahposted 13 years ago

i used to loathe reality television.  i still loathe most of it ... however, i have also found a few shows that are just so ridiculous that i can't help but watch them.  i mean, there are a few that are less ridiculous that i will watch, but sometimes the crazier the better.

am i addicted? no.  do i find myself watching it every once in a while? yes.

the important thing to remember when watching reality television is that it is not 'real.' most of us do not have cameras following us wherever we go (willingly ...).  a lot of reality television shows are set in the premise of 'what if you were put in this situation'.  those what if's are pretty big.  suspension of belief is key.

if you are watching these shows to see what life is about, turn off the tv and go outside and see what your life is about.

21. brandonhart100 profile image76
    brandonhart100posted 13 years ago

Yes I am, unfortunately.

22. Julie2 profile image59

I just get a kick out of reality TV.

23. Hivesguy profile image58
    Hivesguyposted 13 years ago

No way! American idol is the closest thing to reality tv I watch, and I am not really super crazy about that show. I would rather watch movies or tv shows (fictional).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)