The more hubs, the less traffic

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (35 posts)
  1. snakebaby profile image66
    snakebabyposted 13 years ago

I haven't seen traffic improvement at all after adding more hubs. With few of the new ones actually have nice traffic, and the newest with more fake traffic of my own, yet the overall traffic often has decreased, or stay the same, wondering why. This is discouraging

1. profile image0
      ssaulposted 13 years agoin reply to this

try optimizing your articles, try using different keywords, tags, and try writing hubs in high demand and with high traffic.

2. cpvr profile image61
      cpvrposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You need more backlinks.
      How do you expect to get traffic without driving in traffic? People can't find content if its not linked.

2. Jordan Riley profile image57
    Jordan Rileyposted 13 years ago

Maybe you should look into optimizing your articles for the search engines. Or you should look to write articles on topics that are in high demand

3. snakebaby profile image66

Thank you both. That's what I've been trying to do, especially recently, though still there's no guarantee. Looks like most of my topaz and jade hubs have been proven failure, after spending so much time doing the research and writing them

I know optimizing is important, but I've tried, and always keep it in mind when writing hubs. Sometimes I wonder if correct optimization would absolutely do the trick (I doubt it, SE is a mystery, so I'm (sick and) tired)

Product hubs don't last long, though irresistible sometimes; high demand keywords are more competitive, and they don't always work s you expected anyway

Yet 97% of my hard working hubs are not getting the traffic, only the toy hubs have brought me money so far, seriously, all others are like wasted. Quality hubs thrives - to me it's meaningless - only product hubs worked!

Maybe I should find a better way to make living, such as teaching vocal lessons or Chinese, write stuff when I feel like, more for fun

Not easy...sigh...

1. melpor profile image90
      melporposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Snakebaby, I have noticed this also. I have several hubs (sales hubs) that should be getting a lot of traffic but for some reason they are not pulling in that much traffic. These are evergreen hubs also and two of them should begin to pick up on traffic especially now that we are going into the Valentine month. I guess these things do not always work as planned. You would think your traffic should go up and stay there every time a new hub is added to the list.

snakebabyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Melvin: glad you shared similar experience. I checked out your hubs briefly, all interesting. Which hubs do you expect to pick up traffic at this time? I'd like to check them out. Thanks

2. J Sunhawk profile image68
      J Sunhawkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey, you're just feeling discouragement. That's human and normal.

Go to the local pet shelter and pet a puppy and feed a kitten, buy a homeless person a cup of coffee and burger and help a lost soul.

It puts things in perspective.

Then go write a new hub.

You're doing fine.

4. snakebaby profile image66

Oh, just a curiosity, I wonder how much do others make with 100 or so hubs, including adsense, ebay, and amazon, monthly?

1. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know.  I can tell you that with 272 hubs, pretty evenly produced over 8 months, I just passed $100 in Adsense and have been getting close to $20 monthly recently.

But it is traffic that matters, not hubs. My total traffic is still under 40K, though it is up to about  6,000 per month now. 

I hope that helps. I can't be more specific without violating Adsense TOS.

Also, as others mention, keyword research matters. I'm too lazy, but you should do that.  I also do very little promotion and common wisdom says that's a bad idea too.

Hi pcunix, thanks for the insight. I am lazy too, but from time to time force myself to do the trivia work. I'm unbelievably busy with million things on hand, that's why money is the only purpose that I am here. Sometimes I ask myself whether it is worth sitting here for so long getting the radiation, loosing the hairs, growing dark spots on the face, getting problems around neck and spine, staying late because a hub needs to be fixed (then getting wrinkles as the result)...

Or, if I could be young and beautiful forever, I'd give up on money, I could live with just carrots and pickles, hehe...

Seems I roughly get about $20 from adsense monthly too (Dec. was better of course), guess I should be happy about it?

pcunix, I've seen you wrote tons of Riely and me, do they do well? I understand they are relatively new

1. Pcunix profile image90

No. That kind of fiction is nearly useless for income. I wrote some hubs talking about income from fiction writing, though.

2. Pcunix profile image90

Happy about it?

I don't know. If your monthly traffic is 5-6K views, that's about right. If you aregetting 1,000 views, you are doing incredibly well. If 10,000,  no, not so great.

My feeling is that if it is increasing, you are fine. Do what you know how to do and keep at it.

By checking the traffic source, I see about 1/3 of the traffic I've got since I joined is from hubpages itself. The average number of visits I've observed so far has been like around 400 each day (hasn't changed or even somewhat dropped for a while, that's why made me unhappy), therefore it is above 10,000, so it's not great sad

I do get like $30 -40 from ebay (likely from my toy hubs which bring me the most traffic, plus from another couple of sites), Jan. is an awful month for amazon (when people go to ebay and buy stuff amazon is left out)

I'll see, if I have the energy, if my kids can help me on toy hubs, I'll keep writing more. Thanks!

2. Richieb799 profile image75
        Richieb799posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I thought you got a lot more than that? lol or is that one of your channels?

Did you think I had more than one profiles?

I have only one account here, and the only referral I've had is not active. So I'm alone all by myself

2. Pcunix profile image90

That's HubPages only.

5. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

I have no useful input, but I will share your pain Snakebaby.

I have written about 60 hubs, coming up to three months of Hubbing now.  I have had praise and comments from hubbers, and gained various accolades.  I am mostly pleased with what I have created.

However.

My traffic outside of Hub people is abysmal.  I only know this because by accident one hub gets slightly more than the others.  And that is still rubbish.  To gain a decent income I would need to write 30,000 hubs.  Ridiculous.

I didn't do any research at all apart from checking that my particular title didn't appear already on Google.  So I thought I might get on page one.

But duh, oh duh, oh what a fool.

I didn't check to see if anyone actually ever typed in that search for a title.  Not much point in being 'unique' if no one ever looks for you.

So I am now clumsily fooling around with Adwords trying to get a feel for what people are actually searching for.  And I plan to revisit, again, each and every one of my hubs to get them somehow more search friendly.

No way am I going to write 30,000.

Mark, That's still great if you are satisfied with what you've achieved inside hubpages. I can't possibly get that kind of result here since I'm not a writer.

It is worth the effort to do some research on keywords, I try to do it at the beginning. It's a pain to have to optimize all hubs. I've done that before when I had just about 40, already gave me big headache. Even so, ideally you still need to improve your hubs for best results, but I don't know how many of us have the time and energy. I sure don't.

Can't even imagine 3,000 hubs, not to mention 30,000, I'd simply ask someone to please shoot me if I have to make living writing that many,ha

6. gracenotes profile image89
    gracenotesposted 13 years ago

Snakebaby,
    The most I have made on Adsense in a month is $38.  It's uaually less than that, though.  My Amazon earnings are nothing to get excited about.

I figured that January would be a blah, dull month, so I published a Super Bowl hub on December 7.

Since the two teams for the Super Bowl were decided, the organic traffic on this article has increased 4-fold, and it was already good.

Also, the Adsense ads for a Super Bowl hub are excellent.  I couldn't be more pleased with them.  It will be interesting to see how much this hub adds to my earnings.

And yes, it's true that once the event is over, your hub won't do a thing for you, but while it lasts, it's good.  So, if you can do it, a special event hub once in a while may keep you from being discouraged where Adsense is concerned.

I agree with you that some of my best hubs received very little traffic.

Hi gracenotes: Thank you for giving me the information. Smart idea for you to jump on the super bowl ahead of time. I do want to have evergreen seasonal hubs, but I'm not good at it, like now Valentine is coming, and I have no idea how to be part of it (now I'm thinking harder, though it might be a bit late already). Your case proved that it's how many working hubs you have, not the number of hubs (some of mine absolutely don't even work, so I leave them there for the number game, and in case things change later) that determines the results. My adsense was about $30 for December, the best, so I'd rather have 54 of your hubs than my 105 smile

I need to be more careful next time when I write serious hubs, wouldn't want to waste my valuable time anymore

1. JD Barlow profile image61
        JD Barlowposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My traffice is like the teeth on a comb. Up and down, but the ups are getting higher and the downs, not so down. It is frustrating, but I am trying to find a niche by writing about everything. Keep up the faith and keep at it, it can pay off.

7. Peggy W profile image95
    Peggy Wposted 13 years ago

It took over a year to get my first Adsense payout, then 4 months, then 3 and it gets better and better.  Just stick with it and while it probably always varies some...the trend will be upwards.  Good luck!

8. sabrebIade profile image81
    sabrebIadeposted 13 years ago

Well with 278 Hubs, I am averaging mid 3 figures a month (just Hub Pages). 
    I don't wanna violate Adsense TOS....LOL
    BUT, I am seeing a HUGE traffic drop as of late to my Hubs, almost like what I saw long ago when Squidoo got "Google-slapped".
    Until this month I had basically stopped doing Hubs because...well for one thing I was burned out and couldnt think of anymore.
    There are other reasons...but let's go with that one.
    I'm starting back slowly with Hubs now to see if I can increase my traffic again.

9. Haunty profile image73
    Hauntyposted 13 years ago

@ Snakebaby: I'm of the mind that most of your hubs (about 2/3) are too young (2-3 months old) to get substantial traffic, the rest (the early ones) are not very well SEO'd.

Because your traffic is low, you can hardly expect any more than what you earn at the moment. You see, it takes about 1000 page impressions to earn you $2-$5 from Adsense on average.

My advice to you is to keep going. The guys with hubs in the upper 100s or even in the 1000s are writing more and more not because each is a huge success, but because only some are successful. As you said, SEs are a mystery. smile

10. sofs profile image75
    sofsposted 13 years ago

Sounds like good advice..sometime you wonder what works...but I guess we shouldn't stop writing/....I have heard some hubbers say throw it on the wall and if it sticks ..good for ya smile
    I don't worry about earnings, i keep doing the Keyword search and writing all I can!!

11. profile image0
    Muldanianposted 13 years ago

I know exactly how you feel.  When I have put so much effort into writing a hub, yet receive little or no traffic, and have had my work voted down.  My hub score is decreasing very quickly, and I find it too discouraging.  Especially so, when I read some hubs, which are poorly written, often obviously by someone who is learning English as a second language, yet their hubs prove very popular and receive a lot of response.  I can't help wonder what I am doing wrong.  So, because I don't need to be demoralised any more, I have decided to delete my account and look for another writing site.  Thankfully I did not sign up to make money with HubPages, but joined simply to find an outlet for my writing.

1. shogan profile image77
      shoganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Muldanian, don't do it!  You've only been here two weeks.  Trust me, you need to give it time.  I've been here a couple of months, and I'm starting to have a good sense at this point of how long this process actually takes.  Hang in there--you're not alone, by any means.

1. shogan profile image77
        shoganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It looks like you've deleted your hubs, Muldanian.  I really hope you reconsider at some point.  There's no reward worth getting with two weeks of work.  Just consider it.

12. jokeapptv profile image60
    jokeapptvposted 13 years ago

dont give up take break go back
    try posting to a twitter act or facebook

1. lghant96 profile image60
      lghant96posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think you should try google keywords to search for some keywords and make sure your taglline or title has your keyword in it, get keywords with low competition unless you have great seo strategies if not go for low competition but has a great number of local searches and global searches, make sure the name of your hub title has the key word in it. You should then try msn adlabs online communication tool to see if people are actually looking for that keyword and it's good because it tells you if someone is likely to purchase a product when they look for the keyword so if u are doing affiliate marketing this is tool that should be used before making a hub because you want to find something people are interested in and maybe buying. Hope this helps.

13. viking305 profile image93
    viking305posted 13 years ago

Hello snakebaby

I had a quick look at your 6 latest hubs.  You have a photo on 5 of then at the beginning of the hub on the first module.  I would suggest you remove these. 

Research  has proven that readers click on the Google ads most in 3 certain places.  On the right hand corner of the first paragraph, ( on Hubpages this is the first module).  They also click on the far right hand corner too which you seem to have. And on the very top of the hub.

So please remove these photos to the 3rd paragraph or module.  If you leave the 1st and 2nd modules free of photos you will get bigger Google ad impressions and therefore more clicks. 

I know it does not look as good without the photos but you have to decide if you are writing for money or pleasure.  My commercial hubs are done like this and earn me money.

I write a lot of Irish History hubs which get a lot of traffic but not much income.  I prefer to put up photos on the first 2 modules on these hubs because it looks better too and they are not written for profit. 

I did not get my first payout until I was writing for 7 months.  Every month since it has gone steadily up. 

Please do not be disheartened as you will start to make money once your hubs are published for a few months. If you are planning to do hubs on seasonal subjects like Easter, Fathers day, Mothers day etc it is best to have them published at least 3 months before hand so that they can mature enough so they have gone up the page rank with Google.

Good luck

14. To Start Again profile image70
    To Start Againposted 13 years ago

just adding more hubs to your list isn't going to bring in traffic or money. Its far more complicated than that as many will (and have here) tell you. There are backlinks to think about, ad placement to consider, keywords, etc. you can write all the hubs you want but if you aren't writing them in the correct fashion and doing your homework beforehand, you're wasting your time. There are a lot of quality tips on here from some very knowledgable people. I would listen to them. And remember, it doesn;t happen overnight!

15. muftdagyan profile image58
    muftdagyanposted 13 years ago

you said fake traffic of your own.
    How generating fake traffic to your hub helps you?

1. To Start Again profile image70
      To Start Againposted 13 years agoin reply to this

she means the page views that appear when she has gone to her own hubs to view them or answer/read a comment. HP counts our views as well on the stats page. It doesn't realy help you or hurt you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)