I need to get an offline job then :/

Jump to Last Post 51-58 of 58 discussions (129 posts)
  1. Silver Rose profile image65
    Silver Roseposted 13 years ago

Ryan - do your hubs have any backlinks?

Forgive me if I've got completely the wrong end of the stick - but I'm sure you've posted in the past that you only get links from places like shetoldme and snipsly.

Shetoldme in particular is a true content farm - just a snippet of text a few sentences long, surrounded with ads. It's likely that those pages have been removed entirely from G's index - which means that your hubs are now not supported with any backlinks at all, which is why they dropped despite good content.

In other words, the algo update actually hit your link sources and you were just collateral damage.

1. David 470 profile image81
      David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Shetoldme got affected?!

2. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Less than 30% of my hubs are backlinked at SheToldMe although that statement could have some foundation.

I have plenty of hubs which are nothing other than organically linked though, and they are suffering too.

It could be the domino effect, a few domino fall and the whole site suffers.

I am going to see what happens over the next week, but if nothing changes my Hubpages portfolio stops at 719.

I was going to stop at 1000 anyway, although the plan was to be earning consistantly from my own sites by that point and as a result the need to publish hubs would have gone anyway.

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's a good point.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is a good point. should we nix our hubs at sites like Snipsly? I don't have any at shetoldme.

2. Spacey Gracey profile image39
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

Just a mumble in support of that idea - my best performing hubs that were backlinked by me have tanked, one good hub that I did not backlink is still hanging in there - in terms of traffic and position in the search rankings. My Squidoo article with same keywords that did rank on the same page has disappeared. Glad I gave up on the backlinking when I did.

3. Silver Rose profile image65
    Silver Roseposted 13 years ago

Spacey Gracey - it's not that backlinks are bad, on the contrary. It's just that you need to get links from places with no ads.

If all your links are from sites plastered with Adsense, and those sites then get taken out because they are deemed content farms, then you go down too, as there is nothing supporting your hubs/sites.

4. Spacey Gracey profile image39
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

I understand how it works - they were def bad backlinks  I was a newbie, and I have learnt better.

5. Mikeydoes profile image44
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

Luckily I have plans that go beyond Hubpages and just normal articles. You would think a great site like this would be improved and rewarded, especially since you DO need people to make content.

6. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Ry, you can't get a day job your my role model lol

I had a great day Wednesday followed by a poor day yesterday with my traffic being cut in half, I wondered what the cause could be for a midweek fall.
    I do see some people who copy and paste stuff into their hubs and it annoys me, why don't they get the 'ads' disabled on their hubs or some other kind of disciplinary?

1. profile image0

Haven't you read the forum Richie?

Algorithm change, with all content farms effectively given a Google slap.

7. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Yes, I said I wondered what the reason for the fall was and was implying that this thread had cleared that question up for me.

1. profile image0

Oh, gets ya smile

8. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I really think everyone needs to calm down and just wait and see what is going on. When Google changes things sites and pages go up and down for a few weeks.

Maybe in two weeks hubpages will rank even higher than before. Relax, have a beer and as always, look for ways to diversify. smile

1. profile image0
      TopUniverseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am happy if the things will go like what you are saying but my worry is hubpages hasn't been slapped in the long run.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)