Debt consolidadation- is do it yourself -good idea?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Karina S. profile image59
    Karina S.posted 14 years ago

Debt consolidadation- is do it yourself -good idea?

1. profile image52
      Charles Turnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you'll save money by doing it yourself, and it really is just a matter of knowing what to expect and then actually dealing with it. You have to be a proactive individual and also be ready for a hassle.
      Get a good book like Kevin Trudeau's "Debt Cure$" and follow it to the letter.
      Organize yourself, keep track of who you talked to and what you/they said, and you'll be out of debt sooner than if you went the debt consolidation way.

1. KeithTax profile image73
        KeithTaxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can get out of debt without a consolidation company. Avoid Kevin Trudeau. He has a criminal record and has been sanctioned by the government more than once. I prefer the Dave Ramsey program and books. Dave Ramsey provides a simple step-by-step plan to get and stay out of debt.

Karina S.posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do noy know about Kevin Trudeau, but I read Dave Ramsey and i agree he is good.

2. frynch profile image60
      frynchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can TOTALLY do it yourself..I was slightly scammed by a debt settlement company and now am handling it myself just fine

2. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Most debt consolidation programs ruin your credit, so unless you are already behind on payments, doing it yourself is the only way to go.

Ivorwen, i think so, too. Nobody will do it better , than yourself

2. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I tried a debt consolidation place, after forking over almost 900 dollars, I still almost got sued by the credit card company. I am now paying off my cards on my own.

3. Jonathan Douglas profile image61
    Jonathan Douglasposted 14 years ago

Kevin Trudeau is a skilled marketing strategist similr to the Slap Chop guy. They know how to sell-not to help

4. blowww profile image60
    blowwwposted 14 years ago

I would prefer to use do-it-yourself debt settlement solution since this is the best and effective way to solve some debt problems. I had the experience having thousands of credit card debts and at that time I tried to do-it-myself and finally I could reduce the total debts.

So you were able to reach debt settlement on you own without any help.

Good for you!

5. Wageslip profile image59
    Wageslipposted 14 years ago

I went to a debt counsellor in an attempt to solve a business debt. They made it seem so easy and as my whole scenario was effecting my health I took their advice and paid them their fees.

In hindsight, I would have researched more and what I know now is helping me through bankruptcy which maybe I could have avoided. With bankruptcy nothing is your own anymore, but at least with trying to solve your own debt, you will have control over what you do and what is yours to keep or sell to survive.

Wageslip, i agree with you about bankruptsy. It is not pretty

1. Wageslip profile image59
        Wageslipposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You just have to have a sense of humour or you have no chance. I believe there are happy people and miserable people and no amount of materials or wealth will ever change that.

6. Wayne Orvisburg profile image62
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 14 years ago

I think so. You are going to pay someone else if they do it. And they may end up just ripping you off. SOme creditors just want to cover their rearends at the moment so they are a little easier to deal with. I wrote a hub on my experience. Wish more people would find it so it may help them.

I agree with your opinion, an i am going to read your hub. Thanks.

7. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

I've got 2 bankruptcies in my past (including one I held off for many years before giving up and filing) and a hub or two on the topic as well.  Bottom line, for me at least, is that I would never use a debt consolidation outfit.  Like others have posted, they tend to ruin your credit (if you still have any left).  Additionally, some of them actually work both sides of the street and are secretly in league with the creditors, getting a bit of a cut for getting you to pay up (sort of an even sleazier version of the usual collection agency).  On top of that, some of the folks in those  places are just as nasty to work with as any repo guy--my wife (before she was my wife) once bounced a check, I went in to pay it off in full, and just about had to whip the entire staff before they'd accept my money. 

Can you tell I don't like 'em much?

There's even one more factor--and to me the most important one:  If you can stand the heat, you DON'T want your bills all jammed into  a single payment for any reason.  The enemy--and by this time, the creditor(s) = your enemy, big time--can bring all their pressure to bear on a single pressure point that way.

My preference (and I've used it successfully a number of times; NOT every jam I've been in financially ended in bankruptcy) is to handle it myself.  My usual approach is to hammer the smallest bill(s) first, start sniping around the edges of the overall La Brea tar pit that's sucking you down.  If you owe, say, $100,000 in total, but can eliminate a bill that only cost you $20 a month tomorrow--WOW, is that a liberating feeling.  I always (when doing this) log the entire debt load  in a journal where I can see my progress at a glance, and highlight any final payoff of even the smallest debt so I can actually enjoy any success along the way.

Good luck.  It's not easy lacking green.

Thanks for sharing, interesting insights of debt consolidation companies.
      Good to know.

8. Miss Belgravia profile image60
    Miss Belgraviaposted 14 years ago

Another issue to think about is that forgiven debt is taxable as income. If your creditor agrees to lower your interest rate and you can then afford to make payments, great. But if you negotiate a balance reduction, the amount of the reduction will count as income, and you'll be taxed. If you are completely over your head with debt, you should talk to a bankruptcy lawyer. Most will give you a free consultation, and you can find out whether that would be a better option for you. In the interest of full disclosure, I am a bankruptcy attorney myself, and while it may seem to be an extreme solution to your problem, you should explore your options. A bankruptcy can protect your assets and give you a chance to get back on your feet if you're really in desperate straits. Good luck.

9. Karina S. profile image59
    Karina S.posted 14 years ago

True, Miss B. is right, be ready to pay taxes on the amount of the reduction

10. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

Not yet, I am going to read it now. Thanks, rmcryne.

1. pato7 profile image58
        pato7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

A more advisable first step towards debt relief would be to contact a reputable credit counsellor. Credit counsellors sit down with you and help you assess your current financial situation. After a consultation, you may find that debt relief isn’t even the best option and that there is still a way for you to work things out on your own. Credit bills can indeed be intimidating, but this doesn’t mean you have to succumb to the first debt relief sales call you get. Do your homework. Shop around. If you find that debt relief is indeed the best way for you to handle your debts, then compare a few companies first to see which of them can be of the biggest assistance. You may even want to check these companies out with the Better Business Bureau just to make sure that it is safe to do business with them.
        Read this hubpage
        http://hubpages.com/hub/Debtmaangementandreliefservices

11. solvemybadcredit profile image60
    solvemybadcreditposted 14 years ago

It really depends on your situation and abilities. If you are confident that you are able to evaluate your financial situation and set up a bad credit consolidation plan, by any means. But you have to take into consideration that credit counseling companies have a huge experience and hold a better chance to negotiate a good deal. Some of these companies offer a free consultation, therefore you have nothing to miss. The first step is to try and negotiate with your creditors.

12. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 13 years ago

Debt consolidation usually means taking out a big new loan to cover all your existing debts.  They make it look good by giving you a better interest rate, but they achieve that by spreading the loan out over many more years, so you'll end up paying a crippling amount in interest and you'll be in debt forever.

Plus, hidden in those repayments are ongoing commissions to the debt consolidation company, which only increases your costs.

There's no benefit in having all your debt with one company, and even if you do it yourself it will cost you to change.  That's just paying extra for laziness.  Talk to your existing lenders and see if you can agree payment terms.

1. neversaydie profile image82
      neversaydieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is true.   My credit card provider actually contacted me and offered to freeze the interest on my debt if we could come to a mutually satisfactory payment arrangement.   She went through, my income (which is currently nil as my business is earning me nothing), my assets (again not much of them anymore as I ended up remortgaging to save my business) and benefits (none for me as I am neither old, unemployed or infirm) but a state pension for my husband.     For those in genuine need, I would advise they contact their creditors individually or if in the UK seeks help from the Citizens Advice Bureau.

2. profile image57
      Ray Twoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is a difference between a debt consolidation "loan" and debt consolidation.

A debt consolidation loan is just using debt to pay debt. Not a good idea.

A genuine debt consolidation generates substantial interest savings. With timely payments  it IMPROVES your credit score. Since in a professionally run debt consolidation you pay your debts in full, the banks have no reason to penalize you... they like getting paid smile In short, this type of debt consolidation is not a negative entry on your credit report.
      Sure, they would like to continue to get 30% interest, but they really don't mind taking much less interest if they are getting paid.

Essentially your revolving account becomes and installment account. That represents a new agreement with the bank. If it is paid in accordance with the monthly payments, you will have met the terms and that is nothing but good news for your credit score.

Debt settlement is pure financial poison. If you do some real research you will find it destroys your credit. Your accounts need to be in default before your creditors will negotiate. If you are talking big numbers, the major creditors just sue you. If you do get to settle any debt, anything forgiven over $600.00 is taxable.

Of course the 15%+ fees of your total debt is mostly paid in the first few months. If you drop out, and most do, you forfeit those fees you have paid. It actually gets worse. On top of all that it stays on your credit report for 7 years.

Chapter 13 bankruptcy is a court ordered debt payment plan. It is a negative entry on your credit for 7 years. Chance are if you can afford these payments you can do a debt consolidation and not ruin you credit.

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy is a court ordered liquidation of your assets. It stays on your credit record for 10 years.

Hope that helps a little.

www.debtconsolidationway.com

13. MomCrafting4Fun profile image60
    MomCrafting4Funposted 13 years ago

We did it through a debt consolidation company.  An dthen a few months after signing the paperwork we found Dave Ramsey's books.  We wish we would have had the books when we were so desperate.  It will take work and credit card companies aren't always the easiest to deal with, but if you have the time and energy to invest you can do it yourself.

We were so desperate and feeling so hopeless and we had no idea where to start so going through a debt consolidation company made sense to us.

Whichever you do make sure you make a life change or you will find yourself back in the same situation in a few years.

If you haven't already, I would recommend you reading Dave Ramsey's books.  Total Money Makeover is a simple, easy and inspiring read--it make syou feel hopeful.  But if you are looking for the nuts and bots on what to do read Finacial Peace.

1. getxposed profile image61
      getxposedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

People that actually use a debt consolidation service are usually at a panic stage so they scour the net to find such services but if you're not in a desperate need the do it yourself. It's not that difficult. I myself have been debt free for over 6 years now and love it.

14. J. McCoy profile image61
    J. McCoyposted 13 years ago

I've seen too many people pay exceptionally high fees to debt consolidation companies.  There are some reputable non-profits out there but it's much better financially speaking to do it yourself. Dave Ramsey's program is excellent. People that refuse to do budgets may prefer David Bach. Both are easy to read or listen to as they're down to earth. Ramsey is hilarious and well worth your time.

15. profile image53
    jmcdonaldsposted 13 years ago

Debt settlement helps you in reducing your credit card debt & other unsecured debts. yourdebtfreeadvisor provides credit card debt settlement,tailor made plans for debt negotiation and debt settlement giving you relief from your debts & taking the burden off your shoulder.Visit www.yourdebtfreeadvisor.com for free consultation

16. Smaridge01 profile image67
    Smaridge01posted 13 years ago

I firmly believe that drastic measures are sometimes required in order to get one's debt under control. But I believe that there is a lot we can do for ourselves before calling an outside firm. Especially considering those outside firms are all going to want some of our sadly scarce money!

I truly believe in the snowball payment plan for debt reduction. I've used it and I know it works. It doesn't cost a cent to set yourself up to follow such a plan, and the positive feedback you feel when you get first one and then another balance paid off is awesome!

In fact, consolidating your debt all into one balance would make such an approach very difficult, so I don't know that I like the idea as much as one would think.

Thanks!

17. profile image50
    jdethuinposted 13 years ago

If you are going to use an outside firm for debt consolidation it is important to research the firm and make sure you cover yourself. Find out information about the debt consolidation firm such as: are they connected to the debt providers in any way; are they out for my interest or just to make money off of me; and if they do consolidate my debt what will be the consequences, will it hurt my credit or will I still be liable for the debt being consolidated.

18. megmccormick profile image68
    megmccormickposted 13 years ago

I have a lot of debt because we helped my daughter through college (a really expensive one) and I've been chasing the internet marketing dream.  My debt elimination plan for the next two years...I just took on more/extra work and raised my salary (I didn't want to but I could so I just had to). I'm going to have some long days and nights for the next 24 months (because I'm not giving up on my writing/blog empire) but I'll be debt free.  Then I'm following the old plan of pay off the highest interest card first by putting my extra salary onto the payment I already make...paid off in 6 months, then take that entire amount and add it to what I'm already paying on the next highest interest card...paid off in another 5 months, then I take all of that and add it to the next debt combined with what I'm already paying on that and boom...now that's gone in just 4 months...etc. Common sense, boring, I have to bite the bullet for most of the next 24 months...but then sweet freedom.

1. ShawnS. profile image60
      ShawnS.posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good for you Meg.   Still, bad things do happen to good people and if they need to, they should speak to a bankruptcy trustee if they are in Canada.

19. Zubair Ahmed profile image74
    Zubair Ahmedposted 13 years ago

Hi Karina S,

The dreaded word DEBT... unfortunately many of us find ourselves in this situation now-days and it can be the most stressful situations to be in.  I certainly say go for it yourself and don't involve the FEE-hungry agencies that don't actually care much about your well-being but the fee they will get from you.  My experience in the UK having gone through debt problems before, I decided to do some research on debt management then did everything myself by contacting each and every one that I had a debt with.

Talking with many debt consolidation agencies the feeling i got was pay-us-first then we'll work on your case and if your lucky we might be able to negotiate a deal for.

All the best

20. debtisevil profile image60
    debtisevilposted 13 years ago

I am new to this site, but completely agree that trying to do it yourself is a good idea.

I am in debt and have purposefully avoided debt maangement companies, as I find that they are in it for themselves and all they are really doing is negotiating on your behalf, which you could do yourself.

whenever I have phoned the companies I owe money to, I have found that they are usually quite responsive and willing to help. I am really committed to getting myself out of debt and I think this comes across to these companies.

Anyway, just wanted to put my opinion in here.

well done on a good post!
    Kim

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)