Possibly Positive News From Google.

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (15 posts)
  1. MyWebs profile image79
    MyWebsposted 13 years ago

I just read a story that should give hubbers some hope that Google is aware of how their changes is unfairly impacting good quality content and is working on changes to fix it.

“Therefore any time a good site gets a lower ranking or falsely gets caught by our algorithm — and that does happen once in a while even though all of our testing shows this change was very accurate — we make a note of it and go back the next day to work harder to bring it closer to 100 percent.”

“That’s exactly what we are going to do, and our engineers are working as we speak building a new layer on top of this algorithm to make it even more accurate than it is,” Singhal said. (Google Fellow Amit Singhal)

Hopefully Google feels like HubPages doesn't deserve all of this.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/03/ … e-effects/

2. profile image0
    TopUniverseposted 13 years ago

Good news for everyone. Will see what happens in coming days.

3. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the glimmer of hope!

1. bgamall profile image69
      bgamallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think that this is a short term decline with a big bounce back. I just have that feeling. I think that there does have to be a substantial new revenue source to make this work. JMO.

4. Mutiny92 profile image64
    Mutiny92posted 13 years ago

I hope so, but did you see the Cult of Mac web site in the article recovered its traffic before the article went to press?  There was a footnote at the bottom of the page.

5. MyWebs profile image79
    MyWebsposted 13 years ago

Based upon things I have read in this article and some others it seems the people Google has hired to do the manual reviews are looking at how trust worthy the site appears and if authoritative sources are cited as sources. Of course no one knows if this all is part of the new formula...

It may be a good idea to start citing authoritative sources, it sure couldn't hurt any. One easy approach would be to sign up for an account with  Encyclopædia Britannica. What is cool is that they offer a free membership for one year to those who publish online. Then your eligibility is redetermined once the year is up.

Britannica was one of the winners in this latest Google update, so that is yet another reason to do this as their trust value has increased. Britannica.com is a PR9 website! While I have had a free account for almost a year I have yet to use it. I'm about to see if it makes a difference soon.

To sign up for free here is the link http://britannicanet.com/ . I used my HP profile to apply. This hub is about the subject http://hubpages.com/hub/Encyclopedia-Br … r-Bloggers

6. Dorsi profile image88
    Dorsiposted 13 years ago

I think it's also a good thing for us hubbers to visit news articles about the algorithm changes and leave professional comments relating to HubPages and the writers here. It's important to be heard.

7. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 13 years ago

Quality links are such a resource on a web page and Google has always loved them.

Why do so few people on Hubpages include them? It is the advice of 'SEO experts'. They write trashy articles and are scared a visitor will disappear to another site and read a decent article instead of theirs. Probably, the visitors would.

The answer is to write a good page. Include enough worthwhile links and it is the kind of page that visitors will bookmark.

It is not easy coming up with quality links on product pages, of course. But it is still worth trying.

1. cascoly profile image61
      cascolyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

another reason is that quality links can get your hub unpublished since they're flagghed as over promtional -- HP only allows links from sites such as wiki, etc.  but if you use many other independent news sites, etc, you get flagged.

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Only if you put the same domain in more than twice.
        Having spent some time hub hopping, I can see that many people only use HP as a backlink for their own site.

8. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I have a hub showing double red arrows now that has a number of quality links. There are certain topics which require reputable, quality links.

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

WTG Rebekah! Nice to hear someone has a bit of good news smile

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm experimenting.. I tweaked the lay-out on a few hubs today and that was one of them.. and it does have a lot of links and text.

2. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Also, if your hub is copied/plagiarised content, you'll get an overly promotional flag for ANY link.

3. andromida profile image56
      andromidaposted 13 years ago

Despite changes in Google algorithm, still I see many useless sites are topping in the SERP.I just hope that all the good quality contents show up in the first page of Google.Otherwise I suspect the demise of Google itself in the long run.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)