Tarot Card Reading - The Scam

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (68 posts)
  1. Beelzedad profile image58
    Beelzedadposted 13 years ago

Why is it a scam? Tarot reading is big money and readers don't want you to know the truth, they just want to take your money and have you believe they possess "special powers" or have "Guardian Angels" directing them.

It's all lies, of course, Tarot reading is easy, anyone can do it. Just buy a pack of Tarot cards. (please note that Tarot cards are made in a factory just like any other deck of cards wink) as long as you take the time to memorize the various meanings associated with each card.

Tarot readers use many of the same confidence tricks most other scam artists use, for example, they'll create an "ambiance" of heavily decorated and highly scented surroundings in order to take you out of your comfort zone and keep your mind focused on these surroundings (dressing the scene) making you more susceptible to being scammed.

Then, they use the oldest trick in the book, cold reading with a few well placed technical sounding words in order to show off their alleged superior knowledge and intellect. After offering some advice to the problem, which of course is basically what the person wanted to hear, it now appears that the cards revealed ones inner most secrets. Like a drug dealer, the reader now has the person hooked, and the next time the person has a problem, they return for more readings.

This is where they will need to open their wallets, nice and wide. smile

1. goldendawn84 profile image60
      goldendawn84posted 13 years agoin reply to this

funny i have been doing tarot readings since i was 13 my mum gave them 2 me and i have helped many by reading their tarot and not once have i claimed money for it but i don't see whats so wrong with people who do earn a few bob its called doing a service

Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sure, just as long as the person getting the service understands it's all just entertainment and they are free to waste their money on it. No problem, then. smile

2. Beelzedad profile image58

Sure, just as long as the person getting the service understands it's all just entertainment and they are free to waste their money on it. No problem, then.

I am free to gamble away my mortgage, too. smile

1. Helena1965 profile image61
          Helena1965posted 3 months agoin reply to this

Yes. I have spent senseless money on these crooks! After a while there telling you that you are cursed and they want you to pay them $400 for a protection cleansing spell!

3. simeonvisser profile image67
        simeonvisserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Because it is a LIE. I recently heard someone say that it is a sign of these times that we now have to pay money to have someone listen to us. And that's right: you pay money, they listen and then they scam you. It's not a service, it's a scam.

2. BlogLady profile image60
      BlogLadyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I must assume that you have been to many Tarot readers since your description of them is in such detail and since you are so adamant in your argument against them. How else could you have reached an intelligent conclusion?

As for psychics, you seem to have placed yourself into exactly the same frame as you portray them. You have an absolute answer that you are claiming to be 100% correct. If you are truly the intellectual persona you put forth, then you know that nothing can be stated with 100% accuracy, except your own opinion.

Just saying. smile

Beelzedadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Facts and knowledge about how the world around us works indicating that Tarot readers are people like the rest of us and have no "special powers."

Psychics are also just people like the rest of us and have no "special powers" either. The brain simply does not work that way no matter how much psychics believe they are special.

This isn't an opinion, it's reality.  smile

3. deblipp profile image61
      deblippposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your statements are all interpretive. You mix interpretation with fact.

FACT: Many tarot readers use incense, candles, and other atmospherics.
      INTERPRETATION: It's a scam to discomfit the client.
      OTHER POSSIBLE INTERPRETATIONS: There are many. One is that it helps create an atmosphere that the reader likes, thereby aiding him/her in doing the reading (many people in a variety of jobs set up an atmosphere conducive to succeeding at the job). Or, they were taught it was necessary and are following tradition. Or, they are trying to fit the image (the spooky gypsy or whatever) that the client expects. Or, they are trying to make the client more comfortable and choose relaxing atmospherics.

FALSEHOOD: Tarot reading is big money.
      FACT: Most readers use reading to supplement their income and many give away readings for free.

FACT: Tarot reading can be learned by anyone willing to study (I wouldn't say "easy" -- 78 cards, each with several possible meanings, plus 78 "reversals," each with several possible meanings, is quite a lot of memorization).
      INTERPRETATION: Therefore it's a lie.
      OTHER POSSIBLE INTERPRETATIONS: Therefore it's true and accessible. Or, therefore it's a skill that can be learned like plumbing or surgery or wood-carving and going to an expert is a good idea. Or, therefore the real skill is not in reciting the memorized meaning but in some other facet of the reading.

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

The religionists carry a bible. Beelzedad you carry a science book. What exactly is the difference pray-tell.

What does that have to do with the OP? smile

3. knolyourself profile image60

"What does that have to do with the OP?"
    Your are right probably nothing. A misty moment.

4. Vala Faye profile image60
    Vala Fayeposted 13 years ago

Try it before you diss it. If it is that easy..buy a deck, play around with it. That's what I did wink

You're right though, there's nothing magical about the cards themselves, but they definitely have their use. I've found them to be a great tool for self-reflection, as they facilitate introspection. It's like a mirror being upheld.

Did that, too, and found it was just another deck of cards. smile

1. Vala Faye profile image60
        Vala Fayeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Grin. Then you missed what was there, I'd say smile
        I tend to look at it as a way for my subconscious to tell me stuff that I'm not paying enough attention to. It's a way to meditate while doing something, ime, instead of sitting still. A way to delve into your subconscious and find out what's making you tick..what fears you have, how you see hte future unfold..what opportunities lie ahead wink

It does require being openminded. Much like meditation demands you turn off that critical mind yapping in the background. Doesn't mean you can't use that critical mind however afterwards, to evaluate what you've found smile

I will however agree that many use this to scam other people. Unfortunately this stuff is still riddled with people wanting to make a quick buck. But then..so is hubbing, and (auto)blogging, correct? People will always try to scam others and get rich quick themselves...that doesn't invalidate the earnest work however. It's just hard to see the knock-off from the real deal sometimes.

There is no "real deal" with Tarot card readings, they are all faked.

If one is unable to use their brains to deal with their life problems and issues and must resort to drawing on a deck of cards to get their answers and solutions, then they will have just as much success, or failure, by flipping a coin. smile

1. goldendawn84 profile image60
            goldendawn84posted 13 years agoin reply to this

wow someone really has a grudge against tarot readers and who are you to decide whether or not all are fake have u met every tarot reader and does every tarot reader charge money no so stop stereotyping a whole group of people when all are different

Exposing a group of shysters and charlatans has nothing to do with a grudge. smile

1. NateSean profile image65
                NateSeanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And you're doing a great job exposing us. So great in fact that people flock to Salem every day to recieve a reading.

Good job exposing us charlatans.

"There's a Sucker Born Every Minute" ~ David Hannum  smile

A wiseman speaks because he has something to say. A fool speaks because he has to say something.

5. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 13 years ago

The cards are just that cards. What you get out of it is what you put into it. I, myself, have had readings done, and have taken a course to understand the different paths the cards represent. It's fascinating the history behind the cards of when they started etc.

I know many that make a living out of scamming with them. I use them mainly to see what pops up now that I understand the meaning behind each card. Some days they are right on target with my mood, others I think WTH, where did that come from.

A hub is in order perhaps!

Exactly, and one can obviously do a much better job of giving themselves a reading than a cold reading from a total stranger. smile

6. profile image54
    cobbjoe1posted 13 years ago

I don't depend on cards, or other mediums, I depend on God for everything.

Sorry to hear that, you have my sympathies. smile

1. profile image0
        Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not in Canadian climate though, standing hungry and naked in -20C with wind waiting for god's supplies - could be dead in half an hour.
        Just a thought...big_smile

2. Helena1965 profile image61

As we should. My uncle was the weirdo that started going to tarot readers and he fell into a deep depressive state. He believed everything that they told him I told him to stay away from those people. Then I started to watch them on YouTube and I started getting sick and depressed. God is our only salvation, no one else.

7. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

They probably are a scam, with someone doing it for money. But tarot cards are pretty cool. We used to play with them as teenagers and the results could be uncanny. I always though we were subconsciously shuffling them into some order of things we were thinking about. I did a reading on twins I knew and it all surrounded what could be read as death. Their dad had  just been diagnosed with cancer. I threw the cards away after that. They didn't seem so entertaining. We then bought a ouija board to pass the time at night.

1. HattieMattieMae profile image60
      HattieMattieMaeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Fortunately people don't really understand psychics and fortunately there are some that will scam you and take you for a ride, but I also understand that there is some very valid ones, and it seems to be a big taboo, when you are labeled a psychic and the media and churches around the globe make it into something evil.  There is truth that you can use tarot cards and learn it, and some do this and not real, while others are very connected with the spirit world. Fortunately if you don't meet real psychics and understand them than you will be discriminating and judgemental of them. You will always find good and bad in everything and really unless you have met more than one in your life time you really can't get clue. I used to be a skeptic and met over 15 of them that didn't charge money. Some of them were fake, and some of them with negative intentions, and some of them very valid.  It is not my place to judge them any of them. By doing so I end up doing more harm than good in the world. Most of these people were born with that gift and it has been passed down generation to generation. It is worse to make them deny who they are, they can not feel ashamed or lie to themselves to make you or the rest of the world happy. That is the problem in the world we rather judge others for being different than ourselves and condem them for being truthful about who they are.  Whether we agree or not with someone or what they participate in, it doesn't give us the right to bash them for it.

1. HattieMattieMae profile image60
        HattieMattieMaeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The question you should ask is when people use tarot cards what is their motive? What are they connecting to? What is their source of this information?  Are they using them to make money off people to scam them? Are they legite? Are they actually healing a person? Or are they harming a person?  Are tarot cards even necessary? If someone is a legite pyschic they may not need to use any tools!  It's whether this harmful or not harmful to a person! It's like being a doctor, you take an oath to harm or heal people! It is what intention is being made!

Money or delusion.

Your wallet.

Cold reading.

Yup.

Nope.

The person is just hearing what they want to hear. If they hear something valuable that they never thought of before, they may very well learn something. But, it isn't anything the Tarot cards revealed, just something they never thought of yet.

Taking peoples money and doing cold readings is not harmful, however taking money from people while claiming to be connected to a spirit world is harming others.

Not really, people can usually figure out their own problems, they don't need voodoo.

No such thing as a 'legite psychic'.

Please don't equate shysters and charlatans to the medical profession. Thanks. smile

2. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I apologize. My post was a generalization. I do not doubt that there may be those with an ability. Their possible gift is  probably why the scammers do so well. If there was no reason to believe it might be true, no one would go in search of it. If you, or anyone else, truly believe you have the gift that is your judgement to make, not mine. I can only go by personal experience.

3. Beelzedad profile image58

They pretend to be connected and have "special powers" that the rest of us don't possess. All so-called psychics are fakes. They do cold readings just like Tarot readers.

No, they were not born with any special powers, they are faking like the rest, just better at it.

If it's obvious they are faking, they should be exposed. smile

1. SylviaSky profile image92
          SylviaSkyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not all psychics are fakes, just the ones you see advertised. Joseph in the Old Testament, who read people's dreams and foretold the future, was a real psychic. Born psychics are very rare and don't need to advertise. Clientele builds by word of mouth; that is, if they want clientele. They probably have UNLISTED telephone numbers. I would bet there are not more than 100 real psychics in the U.S. Maybe closer to 50.

I have done Tarot readings at offices, libraries, hospitals, bar mitzvah parties, hotels, the Science Museum, wedding showers and proms, and do not need a special room or incense. Tarot is entirely portable. It is not psychic; it is a skill. As with anything, some people have more talent with it than others.The cards themselves are not "magic"; of course they are factory-made. A Tarot reader has learned and can interpret the symbolism in the cards the way a Catholic or Jew can interpret the symbols of his faith.

I believe in God, always have, and I think Tarot is just one more way God expresses Himself.

Yes, they are all fakes.

So rare, they don't even exist. An elementary understanding of biology will confirm the brain simply does not work that way.

Yes, cold reading is a skill that anyone can learn.

That would explain your belief in psychics. smile

2. profile image52
          louiswhitt34posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You sir, do not have any idea what your talking about. There is much more in this world then you or anyone else can imagine. If you are truly a Christian Man, then you would know it's not your place to judge anyone, and if you can't accept people with gifts, or special abilities then you are a hypocrite. Think about Jesus, and all his special abilities, and gifts. Are you saying he's fake to. Think before you speak especially if it is against something, and/or someone you know nothing about.

1. profile image52
            Rockoman100posted 9 years agoin reply to this

No such people exist. Jesus, had he existed, was a fraud. The supernatural does not exist outside of one's own imagination.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
              psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think one could easily suggest that Rockoman does not exist either....

2. Helena1965 profile image61

That’s even worse!

8. ChristineVianello profile image61
    ChristineVianelloposted 13 years ago

I am so scared of anything that deals with anyone being psyhic. I guess finding out my future before it happens is slightly scary, and frightning.

9. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

I had one of these people you're dissing email me and offer a reading. It was dead on. Pretty spooky if you ask me. I wouldn't make them mad, if I were you. smile

lol

1. profile image0

lol lol

10. profile image52
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Tarot card reading/

It is neither in the science nor in the truthful religion.

It is just superstition.

11. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years ago

Actually, it's brilliant when it's used the same way the Rorschach ink blot test is used.

The Waite Tarot deck was created at the end of the 19th century using different archetypes. I've tested it over and over again. Even some of my atheist friends were stunned at how accurate they could be used - if one uses them face up and selects cards in answer to questions.

The human eye automatically recognizes a thousand little things on those cards that refer to one's own situation. This is the major arcana only - not the minor arcana.

Yes, the cold reading thing is quite right! smile And, yes, no tarot card reader can tell one's future for the simple reason that the future cannot be told. IMHO, anyway. smile

12. Gingerrevolution profile image57
    Gingerrevolutionposted 13 years ago

I hate to be controversial but actually it is a religious tool. Tarot has been used in the Jewish Quabbalah (excuse my spelling) in the past and as far as I am aware still is.
    I am a reader and I have never, ever taken money for it from anyone. So the question of a scam on my part is null and void. I claim no special power I have simply taken the time to remember keywords and phrases for the cards.
    Friends often come to me and ask for a reading. Like some of the other posts point out, the human eye perceives things in the card - yes often vague things - and shape it to apply to themselves. But try to think of it as a tool to inspire self reflection. I also think it is nicer on my part to say 'yes, I will do a reading for you' as opposed to turning them away and letting them think I've done nothing for them.
    Personally I support all forms of spirituality, be it Christian, Muslim, Atheist - any announcement of a faith is proof enough to me that someone is spiritual enough to have at least thought about it.

13. Tarot4Ever profile image57
    Tarot4Everposted 13 years ago

Beelzedad: Negative energy feeds upon itself at first. Then it feeds upon you. I say this only out of kindness. Tarot is about knowledge, of who you are and how you fit into the Universe. It is one of many paths to enlightenment. Calling it a scam because it is abused by some people ignores the many, many more who value the Oracle as a wonderful gift. Namaste.

Yes, I understand you feel compelled to defend the Tarot scam and turn it back on those who understand it is a scam.

Actually, it's all about cold reading.

No, it isn't a gift and no one has "special powers". Sorry.

Lambaste. smile

1. julie58 profile image59
        julie58posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Seems to me that you have your opinions, which you're entitled to, but so do others, myself included.  I've used tarot for many years, for myself and for friends and have found them to be totally accurate. Never profess to have a "gift" or "special powers", anyone can learn to read a deck if they take the time to learn.

A scam? Of course there are those out there who will take advantage of vulnerable but not everyone is tarred with the same brush.

Exactly. You agree with me. smile

1. profile image0

She probably agrees with you to the extent that you're close minded. I didn't read the conversation.didn't have to. You're easy to read. smile

That is why you fail. smile

1. profile image0

Well. At least you attempted a comeback. There's never any harm in trying. Of course you had to thin my post down to a portion of it. Otherwise, you'd have been forced to respond differently. smile

There was only a single qualifier in your post and it was responded to in kind. smile

1. profile image0

We all know what a single qualifier is. We also know what  it means when someone responds piece meal like that. smile

14. Maembe profile image62
    Maembeposted 13 years ago

The thing is, there a so many things you can "waste" your money on.  Obviously the cards aren't "magical" or anything like that, but if you get something out of it, it wasn't a waste.  For me and the OP, it would definitely be a waste of many, but for others, I'm sure they are entertained or get to self reflect or something so it's worth it for them.  I spend money on all kinds of stuff that nobody else would find value in.  That doesn't mean it's a waste.

Unfortunately for people like the OP, it's easier to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

And as no one wants to listen to the OP in real life, his only real outlet is the Internet. The difference between him and a guy standing on the street shouting at everyone is Internet access.

Yes, focus on insulting the author rather than attempting to debate the content. lol

Debate generally works when the other side is willing to at least concede a point or two. When he is standing firmer than Stonehenge I like to follow the example of The Who.

If the point is valid, conceding to it is no problem.

Invoking magic and tossing ad homs is not valid, though. smile

2. Maembe profile image62
            Maembeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It depends on what the debate is.  If someone is trying to argue that there are actual psychics or that tarot cards are magical, what points are there to concede?  Neither people (except knolyourself), nor mass-produced cards have magical powers, that's a fact. 

If, however, we're debating whether or not it's a scam, then certainly it can be argued that it isn't.

15. knolyourself profile image60

Fail-Waif.

16. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

I view it as entertainment.  I'm sure there are plenty of scam artists out there as well as people who believe they have an ability to help others who might be confused or trying to make some decisions in their lives. 

Personally, I don't believe in it but a few years ago at Halloween, which just happens to be my best friend's birthday, I had a psychic party at my home for her.  She is very much into the whole new age thing, angels, reiki healing, she gets readings done over the phone, the whole nine yards.

Well, there were all sorts of new age types, psychics, astrologers, etc. at the party and a good time was had by all. We even had a few past life regressions. It was pretty harmless and I didn't get the impression anyone was taken advantage of.

Apparently, the only one who's nose was out of joint by the whole affair was our resident "ghost lady" who my kids claim a relationship with ever since we moved into this house.  I don't believe in her any more than I do the psychics, but my girls have been "talking" to her for years.  The "ghost lady" apparently did not appreciate all the psychics running around in the house and to quote my youngest daughter, "Mom, she was pissed!".

17. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

I have special powers.

18. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Psychic intelligence is a wonder.

19. LaurencePJones profile image61
    LaurencePJonesposted 11 years ago

There are a zillion and one scams going on out there. So why the chip on the shoulder about a pack of cards? You don't have to have a reading but if you do, over and over again, and it makes you feel more contented and fulfilled, then I'd say it's one of the more rewarding scams. To you that is, not the scammer.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)