The Qur’an

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (24 posts)
  1. daeemomin profile image59
    daeemominposted 15 years ago

Qur’an, the Book of God, enshrines the teachings which were basically the same as were to be found in previous revealed scriptures. But these ancient scriptures are no longer preserved in their original state. Later additions and deletions have rendered them unreliable, whereas the Qur’an, preserved in its original state, is totally reliable.

The Qur’an has 114 chapters. Its contents in a nutshell are: belief in one God, and considering oneself answerable to Him; firm belief that the guidance sent by God through the Prophet Muhammad is the truth and that man’s eternal salvation rests thereon.

The position of the Qur’an is not just that it is one of the many revealed scriptures but that it is the only authentic heavenly book, as all other books, due to human additions and deletions, have been rendered historically unreliable. When a believer in the previous revealed scripture turns to the Qur’an, it does not mean that he is rejecting his own belief, but rather amounts to his having re-discovered his own faith in an authentic form.

The Qur’an is a sacred book sent by the Lord of all creation. It is a book for all human beings, because it has been sent by that Divine Being who is the God of all of us.

The Qur’an is no new heavenly scripture. It is only an authentic edition of the previous heavenly scriptures. In this respect, the Qur’an is a book for all human beings, of all nations. It is the expression of God’s mercy for one and for all. It is a complete message sent by God for every one of us. The Qur’an is a light of guidance for all the world just as the sun is the source of light and heat for all the world.

Islam means submission. The religion of Islam is so named because it is based on obedience to God. A true believer in Islam is one who subordinates his thinking to God, who follows God’s dictates in all aspects of his life.

Islam is the religion of the entire universe. For the entire universe and all its parts are functioning in accordance with the law laid down by God.

Such behavior is also desired of man. Man should also lead his life as God’s obedient servant just as the rest of the universe is fully subservient to God. The only difference is that the universe has submitted to God compulsorily, while man is required to submit to the will of God by his own choice.

When man adopts Islam, first of all it is his thinking which comes under Islam, then his desires, his feelings, his interests, his relations, his loves and his hatred. All are colored by his obedience to God’s will.

When man, in his daily life comes under God’s command, his behavior with people, his dealings all are molded by the demands of Islam. From inside to outside he becomes a person devoted to God.

Man is God’s servant, and indeed, the only proper way for man in this world is to live as the servant of God. Islam, in fact, is another name for this life of servitude to God. Where the Islamic life is devoted to the service of God, the un-Islamic life unashamedly flouts the will of God. Islam teaches man to lead an obedient life and surrender himself completely to the will of God. It is people who do so who will share God’s blessings in the next world.
    Moulana Wahiduddin Khan

1. mohitmisra profile image59
      mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

When man adopts Islam.
      Why are you not listening to your prophet? He would have been mad at you.

salla allahu alayhi wa sallam“To your be your religion, to me be mine.”-Prophet Mohammad

2. RKHenry profile image64
    RKHenryposted 15 years ago

Why didn't you just publish a hub? 

Bad form!

1. darkside profile image65
      darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

So a hubber posts a thread instead of publishing a hub. Let them run their business the way they like it. Why respond with a post and publicly bitch about them? Some people are here for companionship. Some people are here to make money. Posting responses like this, could potentially harm another hubbers business- if one of their clients would happen to read this thread. What right do you have in creating this potential damage? It's not your life. It's not your account.

tongue

3. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 15 years ago

Yes, while reading from the koran and the bible, I can see where some parts of the bible have become unreliable but given that the Koran is an authentic scripture as and addition to the Bible, then I see how they work together. 

Though I believe that many people don't see the teachings from both that they exist in harmony to each other, in my analysis, they make more sense together then they do apart as to adopt separate teachings and separate God. 

Anyways, gotta go but I will be back.  Hope you don't think I am stupid for believing this.  Islam is something I am always wanting to know more about as well as the Bible.

smile

4. LondonGirl profile image82
    LondonGirlposted 15 years ago

"But these ancient scriptures are no longer preserved in their original state. Later additions and deletions have rendered them unreliable, whereas the Qur’an, preserved in its original state, is totally reliable."

There is quite a bit of evidence to show that there were several different versions of the Koran early on in Islamic history, and that it was the late 8th or early 9th century before the Koran was settled in form. Bit like the Bible a few hundred years earlier.

1. Eng.M profile image65
      Eng.Mposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I don't think so
      Quran was remebered by the time of the prophet life by thousands of companions.
      they just didn't write it by then to avoid being it mixed with other prophet's own says ( Sunnah or traditions).

it was writen may be around 5 to 10 years from the prophet death because companions who remember it by heart started to die in wars

but I am open for any proof you have got tells that there were different Qurans in the 9th century

what I know that there were differe accents of Quran but companions have choosen 7 of them after the prophet died
      so it was in different accents not words

best regards

1. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi Eng M.
        I was watching this tv documentary about how the taliban started.  You reminded me of it because they said that when Muhammad Omar lead the Russians out of their land, the people came to trust him, later after two of their people's children were kidnapped and repeatedly raped, Omar Muhammad came out from his solitude and studies to avenge his people.

And the people trusted him because when they drove the Russians out of their country in Afghanistan they did it with practically their own hands when the Russians had weapons and guns and tanks etc...

It said that he was seen by the Prophet Mohammad and told him that he would become their leader...long story short.

When their was peace in the land, and Omar Mohammad's wishes were for people to live in peace, that some of his followers turned on their own people because they wanted to establish their own rules and authority because Omar Mohammad had left it as the Prophet and God had intended with God's Law of the land, not mans.

Anyways, it goes further to say that those people ended up adopting and reading something other than the Quar'ran the one that teaches peace and I think they called it the Sunnah (though I am not sure, I would have to watch it again) and that is why their is wars now between the people of Islam.

Is this fairly accurate?

1. Eng.M profile image65

hi Sandra
          hope you all are well

I am not really sure what you means.

but are you talking about Mohammed Omr , Taliban former leader ?

anyway, Quran is the first thing in Islam as it is God direct word
          Sunnah or tradition comes after as it is the prophet sayings those God learnt him

Sunnah varies from very strong to very weak unacceptable ones.
          that relies on the science of judging everyone who transfers the say to know whether it is a right say or not.

there are wars between some muslims because they left Islam

Muslims controled the world when they followed Islam
          people now like life so much that they don't wanna follow God's rules

that what I think ..

1. profile image0

Hi EngM.  I hope all is well with you as well.

You did answer my question concerning the Koran and Sunnahs.  Now I can see what happened.  Though I wasn't there but can at least have a little more understanding. Thank you.

I agree.  People like life so much now that they don't want to follow God's rule... how strange it is to want to subject to millions of rules rather then about 10 simple ones. 

What kind of knuckle head says, I want to be free from laws and makes a million more??? LOL.

Good to hear from you.

1. Paraglider profile image88
              Paragliderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Sandra - if you are talking about the ten commandments, surely you can see that they are not 'ten simple rules'? five of them are fairly simple:
              You shall not kill
              You shall not commit adultery.
              You shall not steal.
              You shall not bear false witness against your neighbour.
              You shall not covet your neighbour’s house; you shall not covet your neighbour’s wife, or male or female slave, or ox, or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbour.

One of them allows for people to have slaves (?!)

The remaining five beg the question of the existence of God. That is not a simple proposition.

1. profile image0

You know Paraglider.  I respect your opinions.  I don't find you to be unreasonable however, what you see in them is not the same as I see them.

What you believe I respect because it is what you really believe and knowing we have differences in the things that we understand doesn't mean you are right and it doesn't mean I am right.

It means that if it is to you then it is, and if it is to me than it is. 

How you find slavery to be part of the commandments is something of your own understand and I don't see it. smile

coveting your neighbors slaves, doesn't mean they belong to a person.. in my understanding it means the same as a man who comes and tries to seduce another mans wife with promises of gold or riches or whatever and in the same sense it means (to me) that when a man is working happily for someone else that another man does not come over and offer him more because this puts a hardship on all parties involved and also is possibly the reason why "money" has gotten out of control.

Yes, this man offered me more, while this one has none.  Why would I work for this man when this man can give me more.  And though I can see that it would be nice if we could all do everything ourselves, I know that a lot of things are not possible without the help of others. 

Good people lose because they cannot afford.  The ones who can work leave behind what is good to follow what can sustain can give them more and it seems it is this way.

And no one is to blame for this but the illusion that having more means better.  Can you understand where my thoughts lead?

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
                  Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Prolly' the word "slave." big_smile

2. LondonGirl profile image82
        LondonGirlposted 15 years agoin reply to this

As I understand it, until about 800AD there were almost no written Islamic sources. The very first is AD692, the inscription on the Dome of the Rock.

In 1972, a cache of very ancient Korans was discovered at the Great Mosque in Sanaa, Yemen, which showed several different Koranic versions.

"The European scholar Gerd R. Puin has studied these fragments and published some preliminary findings:

"My idea is that the Koran is a kind of cocktail of texts that were not all understood even at the time of Muhammad. Many of them may even be a hundred years older than Islam itself. Even within the Islamic traditions there is a huge body of contradictory information, including a significant Christian substrate; one can derive a whole Islamic anti-history from them if one wants. The Qur’an claims for itself that it is ‘mubeen,’ or clear, but if you look at it, you will notice that every fifth sentence or so simply doesn’t make sense. Many Muslims will tell you otherwise, of course, but the fact is that a fifth of the Qur’anic text is just incomprehensible. This is what has caused the traditional anxiety regarding translation. If the Qur’an is not comprehensible, if it can’t even be understood in Arabic, then it’s not translatable into any language. That is why Muslims are afraid. Since the Qur’an claims repeatedly to be clear but is not—there is an obvious and serious contradiction. Something else must be going on.”"

1. Eng.M profile image65

and the refernce is ........

is it a scientific way to say there is something wrong with Kuran but we don't know exactly what.
          that is so unbojective.

where are the examples ?

in this manner , anyone can say anything in this world , like Mark, and we have to believe him.

read Quran from the following link and try to clarify to me what that scholar means.
          just be biased when reading it , look for wrong as well as right issues in it

Quran

try very short surahs(chapters) as a start such as:
          surahs between 70 and 114

best regards

5. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

I have read the Qu'Ran and have friends who are Muslim, it is after reading the Qu'ran that I realized that is some of the old teachings of the Old Testament. I highly respect other people beliefs but I will remain an unjudgemental Christian just like Jesus would do. smile

6. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

The word 'slave' does certainly suggest slavery. And in the context, it rather confirms that the slave 'belongs' to the neighbour, as does the ox and the wife (!)

A commandment to free the slaves might be a nice addition.

After all, the same God that supposedly led his 'chosen' people out of bondage in Egypt surely shouldn't be condoning the same people owning slaves?

7. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 15 years ago

LOL you guys crack me up! big_smile  I see what you are saying just don't "understand" it the same, but no worries. 

Seems we are all slaves to something in someway or another and right now it seems like we are slaves to the governments or money or Earth herself. wink 

I would like to say I am not and I am free to just do whatever I want to but unfortunately unless I can make a billion dollars, I can't get off the planet.

Hey if I made a billion dollars, you guys want to come with me to the moon?  We can put our heads together and examine the world from out there and see what we come up with . big_smile

Count me in - although I would want to go a lot further than that big_smile

1. profile image0

Me too! Where you thinking?  I think Saturn would be a pretty kickass choice.  I would say Jupiter but I don't think there is much to see there, might to be too dangerous, then again you like to jump out of perfectly good airplanes sooo... lol big_smile

LOL

How far can we get? That is as far as I would go.

Although - I never said I liked jumping out of perfectly good airplanes - just that I had done it. You can learn a lot about yourself by facing your fears head on.

I don't really understand why people do it regularly - it is all over pretty quickly and it scares the crap out of me. So much so that I had to keep doing it until I wasn't scared any more. big_smile

1. profile image0

True.  I jumped off a 75 foot cliff a few times though it took me about an hour to get the nerve to do it the first time because well, it was the only way off. lol scared the crap out of me too and I gotta tell ya, the wedgie wasn't pleasant. big_smile

I must have a different understanding of female anatomy then. Too fast?

1. profile image0

I dunno what you mean but I was wearing a shorty (wetsuit) and it went up my butt. ouch!  big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)