Which generation did Jesus mean?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (32 posts)
  1. flpalermo profile image60
    flpalermoposted 13 years ago

Are we living in THAT generation? Consider the following essay.

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What essay?

Anyway, I think "this generation" meant and still means the time from when Jesus walked the earth until He comes back to judge mankind and take His children home.
      So yes I think we're living in "this generation", and have been since then.
      The reason I say this is because Jesus provided the possibility of atonement for sins.  He brought forgiveness.  And, very importantly, He preached REPENTANCE like His predecessor John the Baptist proclaimed. 
      We're in an age of grace.  Mercy is offered.  Unlike formerly, when a person was under literal punishment both physically and spiritually for sin, and there was no real redemption offered to all of mankind.

I know that will irritate some people who want to try to pinpoint it into a specific prophesied time frame.  But that's my take on it.

2. lightning john profile image60
      lightning johnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I unlike other persons went to your page and read the hub.
      I'm sorry but it's all a bunch of poopi.  I figured that out when I was ten years old.  People have been saying The End Times for ever.

flpalermoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are absolutely right! Men have been saying "THE END TIME" for the ages:

2Pe 3:3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
        2Pe 3:4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.
        2Pe 3:5 For this they "WILLINGLY" are ignorant ...

Many people today "WILL" to ignore the scriptures.

That's because  2Timothy 2:26 states: ..."And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him AT HIS WILL".
        Only God "GRANTS" repentance: (Acts 11:18)
        For unto you it is "GIVEN" ...to belief. (Phillipians 1:29)
        As many as were "ORDAINED"...believed. (Acts 13:48)

Jesus Christ made it possible for ALL men to come unto the knowledge of the truth at the ressurection of the dead.
        1Timothy 2:4 states: [Jesus] "Who will have ALL men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth".
        That's because  2Timothy 3:7 also states that they are: "Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth."

Rev 20:12 states: And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God [at the ressurection]; and the books were opened [the Bible]: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. Remember, Satan "the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them." (2cor 4:4) The day will come when men will have access to God's knowledge for he is not willing that any should perish.

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
          Disappearingheadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Satan has not blinded the eyes of the unbelievers. In the Greek 2 Cor 4:4 God, Theos is capitalised. That is God Himself has blinded their eyes. A little fact deliberately obscured by the Church. Compare with John 12:37-41 where this statement is repeated that God is the one who blinds the eyes of unbelievers. No Satan at work here.
          The church may try to cover all the bases to preach eternal torture for unbelievers but some scriptures still slip through it's fingers.

This article has "ZERO" to do with eternal torture.

3. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Which generation did he say ?

When did he say it  ?

Who did he say it too.

If he came today  ?   Those generations in the future will think that Jesus was talking about their generation or one in their future.

4. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is no essay following this so where is it?

5. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Often times when the scriptures use words such as "this generation," "a little season," "nigh," "soon to come," "quickly," and "in due time," it can mean several years, or even centuries.
      The four hundred years of Israel's Egyptian captivity was a "little season" to the Lord. All the scriptural terms of time (nigh, shortly come to pass, at the doors, about to be, soon to be, in due time, not many days, a little season, near, close at hand, time will come, not many years, and generation) are not specific in numbers of years. Most of them are conditional.

There are several examples in the scriptures which show that the term "generation" canbe very diverse and mean,
      Gen. 2:4 a people,
      Gen. 5:1 a history,
      Ps. 73:15 contemporaries
      Matt. 1:17 succession or series of people from same stock,
      1 Pet. 2:9 a race,
      Gen 37:2 a posterity,
      Gen. 15:16 one hundred years,
      Deut. 1:35 and 2:14 thirty-eight years

2. flpalermo profile image60

He [Jesus] answered and said unto them- "When it is evening you say It will be fair weather, for the sky is red; and in the morning it will be foul weather- for the sky is red and lowering. You...can discern the face of the sky, but can you not discern the signs of the times?" (Mathew 16:2,3)

1. Jerami profile image59

If we read Matthew 23;  and consider what was said to the Pharisees and scribes ...   who was he talking to then.

He said (V. 34)  I send unto  YOU prophets, and wise men, and scribes, and some of them YOU  shall kill and cruciy, and some of them you shall scourge in your synagogues, and persicute them from city to city.

Who was Jesus talking to and which generation was he talking about?

And in the next chapter (C. 23 and 24 is the same story) as Jesus and a few of the disciples left the temple and went up to the Mt. of Olivet, Peter, James, and John and Andrew ask Jesus PRIVATELT  when are those things that you just spoke of going to happen ?

And Jesus told them that they are going to kill some of YOU, and beat some of YOU  that this generation shall not pass away til all these things be fulfilled.

Unless we change the meanings of what Jesus said to fit our belief system;  Jesus was talking to those that he was talking to.

I can't express it any clearer than that.
      No offense intended.

The generation that lived after Jesus mission on earth DID experience the persecution of the "SERPENTS and VIPERS" - the Scribes and Pharasees. (Mt. 23:33)  There is no doubt about that.
        When speaking to his own disciples in private, away from these Pharasees, he spoke about a generation which needed to be stopped from destroying ALL  flesh on the planet. This could not have been done in 33 A.D.  A time period where no man would survive, could not have happened until the Hydrogen Nuclear bombs were made.
        The question the disciples asked was about THE STONES OF THE TEMPLE.  Read it for yourself- Mt. 24:2 How can these stones possibly be thrown down?, the disciples asked.  Jesus listed a series of events that would signal "for that generation"  things that must be fulfilled. Yes, that generation that will experience all these things, and it is from THAT  generation that the angels will gather together "the elect" to a place of safety for three and one half years. That  generation began in 1948 when Israel (Judeah) came into existance.  A 70 year generation from THAT date, will conclude God'a master plan for mankind.

1. Jerami profile image59

flpalermo wrote ...

THAT  generation that the angels will gather together "the elect" to a place of safety for three and one half years.

================

where is it ritten about this 3 1/2 years ?

This is at the base of my belief system.  No where in scripture does it speak of a 3 1/2 year period that the saints will be carried away for.

2. profile image50
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think the passage does not mention the word generation spoken by Jesus.

3. flpalermo profile image60

Which Generation did Jesus Mean?
    This article is written for those readers that understand the Kingdom of God is a literal worldwide governmental structure that will be set up upon the earth at the return of Jesus Christ. Being called into that governmental structure as a draftee, requires your   conversion from  natural carnal human nature, to God's  devine  nature. This is a life- long process.  Your invitation to partake in this great calling and responsibility is by God's grace, predestined from the foundation of the world. Your position or rank in that government is by your works as you train in your Christan life on the earth. The text book manual is the Holy Bible. At the return of Jesus Christ as the King of that worldwide  government, you will posses a spirit composed body ready and prepared to serve mankind as a servant of the most high God for 1,000 years. Jesus said: He that believes  me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do, because I go to my Father. Raising the dead, healing the sick, preaching the gospel of the Kingdom of God, walking thru walls and many other wonderful things, all to serve mankind. If this is who you are, if you want to give your life in service to others, read the article again: "Which Generation did Jesus Mean?" You'll be glad you did.

1. profile image50
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Jesus  was only a messenger prophet of the Creator-God; messenger prophet never come to establish a worldly government to rule; they rule  the hearts and that is their dynisty. The Christians have wrongly understood Jesus.

Jesus died a natural and peaceful death in India at the age of about 120 years.
      Those who dies never come physically; the do come metaphorically and that has since already happened with the advent of the Promised Messiah 1835-1908.
      Jesus will never come agains literally and physcially.
      The Christians need to reform their concepts.

4. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Which Generation did Jesus Mean?
    This article is written for those readers that understand the Kingdom of God is a literal worldwide governmental structure that will be set up upon the earth at the return of Jesus Christ.

= = = =
    Me
    I have never read that.

Rev.   John had been caught up into heaven where he saw the saints that were to reigh with Christ.
      They are in heaven where they reign with Christ.

It is AFTER the second resurection that New Jerusalem comes down to the earth.

There are too many sermons that are preached based upon false Interpretation.  And this is one of those instances 
    =======================================================================================================

Being called into that governmental structure as a draftee, requires your   conversion from  natural carnal human nature, to God's  devine  nature. This is a life- long process.  Your invitation to partake in this great calling and responsibility is by God's grace, predestined from the foundation of the world. Your position or rank in that government is by your works as you train in your Christan life on the earth. The text book manual is the Holy Bible.

= = =

me ...
      The church that Constantine built would have been seen as a one world government and religion combined into one entity.

If anyone were to have had a dream/vision of that futuristic event could have described it exactly as John did in this book ???    I think

====================================================================================

At the return of Jesus Christ as the King of that worldwide  government, you will posses a spirit composed body ready and prepared to serve mankind as a servant of the most high God for 1,000 years. Jesus said: He that believes  me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do, because I go to my Father. Raising the dead, healing the sick, preaching the gospel of the Kingdom of God, walking thru walls and many other wonderful things, all to serve mankind. If this is who you are, if you want to give your life in service to others, read the article again: "Which Generation did Jesus Mean?" You'll be glad you did.

= - = -

me     I believe that everyone is mistaken as to the time line comparison of prophetic time  and  Prophetic time

5. flpalermo profile image60

Try again.

6. flpalermo profile image60

Article has been revised.

7. sergs_pogi profile image57
    sergs_pogiposted 13 years ago

The end time refers to the time heralding the second coming of the Lord Jesus Christ, or it means the days before the Judgment Day.

Well, which one is it?

1. profile image0
        Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

1. The "End Of Days" refers to the end of the power of the Law of Sin/Death. There is no mention by Y`shua of a return.
        If anyone notes the 1st line of John's "prophecy" (revealing of a mystery) the will see it is a total culmination of the Work.

2. You will note in Rev 20.1-2, all the "Wrath" is complete, all the Seals, Trumpets, Bowls. Immediately after the statement is emphatic: Salvation HAS come.

iq: did salvation come before Y`shua? No.

3. you will also note TWICE in the same sentence it repeats: this is the First Resurrection, of which the "second death" (spirit death) has no power --because these people had no bodies, meaning they were dead already before salvation came. These would be those who came from the Great Tribulation (between David the King & the King of Kings --1,000 years).

inq: was there a Resurrection after the First? No. none mentioned anywhere in Torah or The Letters.

However, should one understand the vision, as it clearly says: This is the Mystery (Revealing) of Y`shua Moshiach.

It then states The Kingdom with no temple, for the light dwells within. And the admonition: whomever dwells in me I will dwell in them and they in me.

-- Immanu El -meaning "Creator In/With Us".

inq: what does that mean In/With us? It refers directly to the same phraseology as The Kingdom Within You, The words of Creator In You and you in them --united, one.

So, the End Of Days comes to anyone who decides Life over Days.

"Choose Life, that you and your descendants may dwell in the land (kingdom) for as long as the lord your Creator allows (which we know now is not a place but a stasis of EL).

James.

8. profile image50
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Jesus will never come again literally and physcially.

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This, I partly agree with.
      But for a much different reason than you.
      Jesus is not just a man who died and is no longer.
      He is God, and will return in the sky to reveal Himself as the King, the Lord, the God that He is.

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A real sky fairy? I gotta see that! lol

1. sergs_pogi profile image57
          sergs_pogiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, only those who shall be saved can see that.

2. sergs_pogi profile image57

Well, if you don't believe in the Bible, you won't believe that He will come.

9. profile image53
    passingthewordposted 13 years ago

Jesus will come in the generation of the Fig tree. The Generation when the isrealites gather back to Israel. which happen in 1948.

Not even the angels, not even the Lord Jesus himself, knows the time of his second coming. Only the Father knows.

1. profile image53
        passingthewordposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are right. all we know that the season is coming

2. Beelzedad profile image59
        Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's kinda like a group of people sitting in a locked room where they are trapped with a ticking bomb, and the only one who knows when it's going to off is a another guy sitting in the next room behind a wall strong enough to shield the blast.

They can however talk with each other through the wall.

What would you imagine the conversation to be? smile

Well, for those who doesn't know the answer, they might consider that day as truly a holocaust or gruesome. But for those who are certain, that day is just a blessing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)