Amazon 50 words per product or ???

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (51 posts)
  1. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 13 years ago

Can I just clarify how the Amazon flag works?

When I use Amazon, I often use several capsules with only one product per capsule.  I do that, because I want the product to align with the relevant text.

I noticed the warning says something about calculating how many products COULD be displayed in a capsule, not how many products ARE displayed.

So tell me if I have this right:

If I have 8 capsules, each with 1 product, on a 500-word Hub, I'm in compliance - but the warning system will calculate that at 8 capsules x 8 products each?

2. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

If you select specific products, then one product in a capsule equals one product regardless of what the capsule display number is set to.

If you use keywords to select your products and you have the capsule set to display eight products, it counts as eight products even if only two are displayed.

From Paul: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/69780?p … ost1523164

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 13 years ago

OK, so 8 capsules, each with one product, counts as 8 products IF I've selected a specific product.

But 8 capsules, each with one product, but using keywords - that counts as 64 products.

That's a bit annoying.  I prefer to use keywords because products do change, get discontinued etc and as you know, there's no way of knowing if you've got an empty Amazon capsule!

1. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Only if you set the display limit to eight. If you're using keywords and set the display limit in the capsule to one, then it only counts as one.  It's all about the display limit. If you've set the display limit to eight but only two products match the keyword, it still counts as eight because six more products could show up at any time.

2. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is a lot of Amazon products though Marissa! 64 on a 500 word hubpage? I have some with over 30, but that does sound a little excessive. Although of course, you could keep the 64 products and write 3200 words lol

1. thisisoli profile image71
        thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have had to reduce a lot of mine from around 46 products to 20, it's kind of crippling me but I guess we all have to play by the rules!

1. profile image0

I wouldn't be surprised if it worked out beneficial, some people could be pressing 'back' when overwhelmed by products. Although that said, I do have a couple of overly-promotional hubpages which were rinsing out pre-slap.

These tend to be top ten hubs with 2 amazon products and two ebay products under each item with a few at the end.

1. profile image0

Yeah the 'few at the end' thing is what is causing me to change mine.

You could of course consider reducing to 1 amazon and 1 ebay per feature, or possibly even determine whether ebay or amazon are most likely to convert per hubpage, and drop one accordingly.

I don't know how ebay works, but you could potentially increase your ebay click rate if you have some which are converting well with Amazon but poorly with eBay, and vice versa?

1. Cagsil profile image71
                Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ryan, make sure there is enough text on the page to cover the "few at the end" as well.

1. profile image0

I am removing most of them to be honest, or reducing them to the point that they get rid of the filter trip.

I do believe that the changes being made by me will improve the reader experience somewhat, which has to be a positive.

1. Cagsil profile image71
                    Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But, my point Ryan is that if you have 6 products at the end of a hub, such as accessories...then to accommodate the rules applied to hubs, you would have to have at least 300 words additional for your other products, so it doesn't trip the filter.

That's all.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image92
          Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow, that seems like a lot of products to me.  I have had, (at the most) 16 products on a hub. I went in and cut the number of products in any hub to about 6 or less.  Surprisingly, my Amazon earnings have suddenly jumped a lot in earnings-- but I suppose it could be just a coincidence.

1. sunforged profile image70
            sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Its not a lot for the format he described.

A top ten list with 2 products per capsule and a comparison between amazon and ebay.

Its about the only way the format is actually a useful tool. As there will be a variety of prices among sellers on each platform and the ability to compare between ebay and amazon prices.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah but that's the point, Ryan.  I don't have 64 products.  I have 8 capsules BUT I'm only showing 1 product in each. 

Unfortunately, because I'm using keywords, the Amazon filter counts my 8 products as 64.

1. sunforged profile image70
          sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I use keywords. The counter seems to count products as products for me.

From what I have read, if you are using keywords AND have undisplayed products, the counter will include those. If its set to 6 it counts as 6 even if the "keywords" only bring up 3 matching items.

2. profile image0

Oh I see, so you just need to switch the capsules to choose the specific products then?

1. lakeerieartists profile image64
            lakeerieartistsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, you don't have to switch the capsules to show specific products.  You just have to reduce the number of products the capsule is set to show. 

You can use keywords and have it only show 1 product.  Just set the amount to 1.  I have been changing most of mine from 3 or 4 to 2 and it has been fine.  That way it will still continuously feed, but you have less.  If you have a capsule set to 4 products and only 1 shows up, it still counts as 4.

The capsules used to default to 4, and then they started defaulting to 3, so if you used the default it will be too high most likely for the new rules.

Ah, that's OK, then.

I thought that if you used keywords, the capsule was automatically counted as being "full".  But it sounds like that's a misunderstanding.

Yes, I agree.  Unless I am writing about one specific product, I prefer to allow the capsule to feed continuously as products are deleted, etc.  smile

4. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I have the same issue, it is down to the limit, I have had to alter my ad placements/write more text on several hubs, and have a whole load more to go.

By the way Marisa, Nice eyes tongue

Aw shucks, Oli.  I always liked Darkside's original avatar with the eyes, and when I had this photo taken in belly dance costume, it struck me it was quite similar.  I like it because you can't see the wrinkles!!

I was just thinking though - if you're in compliance even though the automated warning thinks otherwise, wouldn't the HubPages team manually let it through?

If you are in complaince the warning shouldnt appear any more.

For example, say I had a hub with the following capsules

4 x 1 ad amazon capsules
        4 x 1 ad ebay capsules
        4 x 2 ad amazon capsules

That would leave me with 16 ad units,

16 x 50 = 800 words, so in essence I would need to write 800 words for the hub to pass the new Hubpages standards.

1. wilderness profile image93
          wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just a heads up here - when I was doing my own I found that by deleting one amazon product the warning disappeared even though the hub was still in violation and needed several more deleted.

I assume that the warning would re-appear the next time HP looked at it, but never checked - just put the hub into compliance and went to the next one.

2. Rafini profile image82
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Off topic, I know, but I like your new photo!

5. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

This is me in my bollywood outfit tongue

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/34942_414948002279_814097279_4486129_1640996_n.jpg

1. bgamall profile image68
      bgamallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You wish. It looks real. smile

I assure you it is very real, you can tell because my wife is looking very pointedly over my shoulder tongue

1. IzzyM profile image86
          IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is you wife the brunette? Wow! she is a doll!  You take good care of her!! smile

haha yeah that's her!

Ooh, missed this - very fetching smile

3. IzzyM profile image86

Hey Oli, with a body like that you won't be winning any Mr World contest soon!!
      You need to get off that comp and get down to the gym and build yersel' up lad!!

I'm actually very muscular, it's just stretched out big_smile

6. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

The most important part about the Amazon capsule is to make sure that it is specifically set for one product. If the capsule is set for three products, but you actually only have one product showing, you are penalized for the other two products that are not showing.

Example: Setting- 8 products, requires 50 words per product the capsule is set for. Setting- 1 product, requires 50 words for that one product.

If you have a capsule set for 5 products, but only write 200 words, then it will not be in compliance.

Edit: that's how it was explained to Irohner from Paul.

7. lakeerieartists profile image64
    lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

For the layout I like to use a lot, I post different sales capsules for each subtype of product on a hub.  Sometimes I pair up the sales capsules.  In most of these hubs, I am reducing the amount of items per capsule instead of getting rid of capsules.  If I get rid of the capsules, it demolishes the way the hub is displayed and written.

8. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 13 years ago

I had problem getting one hub to comply and now i figure that it is because of this issue ...though I have only two products displayed but it is set to show 8 products..

thanks Irohner and other's this makes my job easy ... I will just switch to specific products

9. Spacey Gracey profile image40
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

Even if I have put in a specific product, the counter is counting every capsule as 4 products, as that is the default setting, and is bringing up a warning on the hub, so I am very slowly having to update every hub, even a large number that do not have more than one product per 50 words - happy days.

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Uh oh - maybe I better re-check mine.  I never thought to look at that, and I found the warning disappeared immediately if I took off one product even if I was over the limit by 10.  I just assumed the warning would come back later so went ahead and removed more products or added text to come into compliance.  Now you make me wonder if I'm still out!

1. IzzyM profile image86

Well, I've not had an issue with that, loads of my Amazon capsules aren't set to 1 which means they are at the default setting (isn't that 3?) but I have chosen one product and added it manually. The only issue I had was with Amazon capsules set to display a type of product not chosen by me - there might only have been one showing because the rest were out of stock or whatever.
        They all had to be set to 1 or 2, or got rid off altogether to comply with the new ruling.
        Or else, ones I had chosen that I had to reduce. Clicked to set to 1 only to find that the first one on the list was out of stock so that capsule became empty.
        Anyway, all done now...!!

Izzy, if the default is set at 3, then the keyword choice is chosen by the hubber, that means it will show 3 if it can find 3.  That is why the system is counting that as 3 even if 3 don't show up any time.  When you pick the products individually, the default is overridden by your pick.

1. Spacey Gracey profile image40
            Spacey Graceyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

but i am finding that even with picked products that default setting is not over ridden.

Oh dear - that's exactly the problem I was having!  So sounds like we're not clear at all.

I think we're agreed:  the warning system should check the potential number of items as set in the capsule header, not the actual number of items in the capsule.

That way, 8 single-product capsules would count as 8 products. Whereas 8 three-product capsules would always count as 24, even if some displayed only one or two results.  That sounds fair to me.

However I'm not at all sure it's doing that.  If it's not, and it's just counting each capsule as having 4 or 6 or 8 products regardless, then I don't think that's reasonable - and if that's forcing people to remove products wholesale to get rid of the warning, then is there a way it can be fixed?

Marisa, it is working the way I said.  It counts what the capsule is set to take, the number that is set in the capsule.  Depending on when the hubs were written if you did not touch that, it is either 3 or 4, so even if you only have one product showing publicly, if you have it set so that 4 could show at any time, then it will count 4.  If you have it set so that only 1 will show no matter how many millions of matches there are on Amazon or Ebay, then it will count the 1.

I have had to change lots of capsules from 4 to 2 or 1, but then the warning goes away.

10. Spacey Gracey profile image40
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

Just to clarify i have checked this out on a few hubs and this is what happens: the hub shows a too many products warning even when the ratio is within the one product per 50 words. Each product is in its own capsule which is set at the default number of 3 or 4 (can't remember which) only one product is specified using the amazon code not keywords. If i change that default setting to 1 on all the capsules the warning is removed.

This is not an issue with keyword capsules or on products that are out of stock.

I have only noticed it on hubs where i have also had a first capsule warning so maybe it's just a glitch.

Going to bed now and hoping i'll have a clue what to do about it in the morning.

11. Polly C profile image90
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

I have an account with product hubs, and have had a few warnings which I have corrected. However, one of my hubs has 46 products being displayed and is 1808 words long - yet no warning at all. Which is surely not right.

12. lakeerieartists profile image64
    lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

Well, if that is the case, then you need to change it then, too.

1. Spacey Gracey profile image40
      Spacey Graceyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No chance - its gonna take too long. i'll wait and see if their unpublished. Too much randomness going on for me to spend hours on something that may or may not save my hubs.
      I'd be interested to hear if anyone has found the same glitch because its not happening on all my hubs. But happy to chance it and see how many i have left standing on march 26th.

I think that's a good strategy, Gracey.

If you know the ratio of displayed products to text is in compliance, then leave it that way - and worry about it when the time comes.

That's really why I posted this thread.  It would be a shame if people are removing more Amazon capsules than necessary just because there's a glitch with the warning on some Hubs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)