Obama’s Anti-Drilling Agenda Costs Jobs Across America

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (14 posts)
  1. OLYHOOCH profile image60
    OLYHOOCHposted 13 years ago

Posted March 25th, 2011 at 8:05am in Energy and Environment

President Obama’s hometown of Chicago is nearly 1,000 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. But like many other communities across the country, it is suffering the consequences of his Administration’s anti-drilling agenda.

Illinois accounted for $376.2 million in shallow-water drilling expenditures over the past three years, according to an analysis by 14 oil and gas companies that spend money on vendors and subcontractors. The bulk of that money—$242.2 million—was spent in the Chicago district represented by Representative Danny Davis (D–IL).

It’s fresh evidence that Obama’s anti-drilling agenda is having a ripple effect across America since last year’s oil spill, claiming jobs not just in Louisiana and Texas but also in communities far removed from the shipyards in the Gulf of Mexico.

The study from the Shallow Water Energy Security Coalition paints a picture of the nationwide economic ramifications. Obama can’t even be blamed for playing politics. Five of the states that benefit most from shallow-water drilling backed him as a candidate in 2008. And Democrats represent many of the congressional districts that stand to lose millions.

The cost in jobs is startling. A new analysis by Louisiana State University professor Joseph Mason projects national job losses at 19,000 from the drilling moratorium, with wage losses at $1.1 billion. About one-third of those jobs are located outside the Gulf region.

Nearly a year after imposing his anti-drilling agenda, it’s quite clear that Obama is carrying out misguided policies causing widespread harm.

And job losses aren’t the only consequence. The Obama Administration’s deliberate delay in issuing permits for both deepwater and shallow-water drilling has led to a sharp decline in oil production for the Gulf of Mexico this year. The U.S. Energy Information Administration puts the figure at 240,000 fewer barrels every day.

With gas prices hovering around $3.56 per gallon nationwide, now is not the time to lower production. The only way to reduce America’s dependence on foreign oil is to produce more of it here at home.

TO READ THE REST OF THIS STORY, SEE THE LINK BELOW

http://www.patriotactionnetwork.com/for … hare_topic

1. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oly:
      Comments like this one cannot go without a response.

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2010/03/ … lling.html

For goodeness sakes, blame the right agencies:
      Environmentalists.

You are a great representative of non-thinking America.

QWark

1. lady_love158 profile image61
        lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Last I checked environmentalists can't issue executive orders from the white hour. That chart is nice but it doesn't reflect the results of Obama's energy policy.
        http://washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/c … t-checking

2. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

Tell it to the people who have been economically devastated on the Gulf Coast by the Deep Water Horizon oil spill.

3. kerryg profile image85
    kerrygposted 13 years ago

http://i51.tinypic.com/2j621hy.gif

1. profile image0
      Texasbetaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What OLY - no response? Does it bother you that the facts always prove you incorrect? It has to bum you out a little bit. No? Isn't that worse then?

1. OLYHOOCH profile image60
        OLYHOOCHposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, you all were asking, were all the jobs went. I found this, posted it as just part of the big problem.

Being correct on all I post is not my point.

The point is, we have a big problem. I am just trying to sort it out. Find an answer and perhaps a solution.

If I am wrong, OK. If you have a solution, i would love to see it.

OLY

I have the solution...fire Obama and the democrats in 2012!

1. profile image0

You've never had a solution to anything, even what to wipe with.

2. profile image0

Wait Oly, the title of the post is: Obama’s Anti-Drilling Agenda Costs Jobs Across America. When proven incorrect, you state...well, I know not everything I post is correct. Hey man, why don't you research it before you make accusations? Jobs are created by consumer demand, not Presidential policy my man. This is 9th grade economics. Where did the jobs go? Take a look at how we pay companies with subsidies and tax breaks to actually ship our jobs overseas. BTW - when the Democrats tried to repeal that , as it is insane, the GOP blocked it. Learn more my brother...you'll find that the more you learn, the more you realize that the GOP is not on your side.

You must have missed the class that explained the relationship between political policy, regulation and the economy!
            Before the oil spill in the gulf there were 55 drill platforms operating employing hundreds of thousands. After Obama's (illegal) drilling moritorium there are 25 platforms operating. Many of these rigs have been moved to Brazil where Obama is supporting drilling with OUR tax dollars going to petrobas a George Soros company!
            Why are liberals sooo ignorant and blind? Why do they hide from the truth?

2. OLYHOOCH profile image60
            OLYHOOCHposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, I must be getting somewhere because the last time anything about my Education was brought up, I believe somebody said, I could not pass a 3rd grade spelling test.

Now you have me in the 9th grade.

Thank You, 

OY

3. kerryg profile image85
          kerrygposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Being correct on all I post is not my point."

How revealing.

A lot of these right wing chain emails can be debunked with 2 seconds of Googling. Maybe you should consider spending the time yourself before rushing off to post them so you're not continually being put in the position of publicly sticking your fingers in your ears and yelling "Lalala, can't hear you!"

There are perfectly legitimate criticisms of Obama's energy policy, but given that a) overall domestic oil production has substantially increased under Obama and b) federal safety investigations following the BP disaster revealed major problems with the safety measures on many offshore drilling platforms, criticizing him for sensibly putting a moratorium on offshore drilling until the safety considerations have been addressed is not one of them.

You apparently forget that the BP disaster seriously damaged the fishing and tourism industries in the Gulf, and if Exxon Valdez is any basis to judge, the worst may be yet to come in that regard. The major herring fishery in the Prince William Sound saw larger than average catches for a couple years after the disaster, then suddenly collapsed completely and has never recovered. Early estimates suggest that the BP disaster will cost the tourism industry $23 billion and the fishing industry $2.5 billion, on top of billions more in other damages, of which (unless gross negligence can be proven) BP is liable for only $75 million and the rest is to be footed by taxpayers thanks to one of the many idiotic oil industry subsidies I am always complaining about. tongue

No unfortunately you are incorrect! Oil production has increased BUT it is because of policies put in place by Bush! It will take about two or 3 years to see the results of Obama's policies which include a moritorium on drilling in the gulf in spite of that being ruled illegal. There are only 25 platforms operating now in the gulf down from 55 before the deep water incident.

http://mobile.nationaljournal.com/daily … h-20110317

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)