Has the new amazon/text requirement been imposed on all hubs yet?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Janet21 profile image80
    Janet21posted 13 years ago

I know they said that as of the 25th all hubs that do not meet the new requirements would be unpublished.  However, I am still  coming across many hubs that don't meet the new requirement. 

Were these hubs missed or are they still working on this?

1. Mutiny92 profile image64
      Mutiny92posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was wondering the same thing.  None of mine were unpublished, but I worked hard to clean them up - I am sure I missed some though.

2. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

The filter had a little leeway, although I'm sure Maddie said that her and Norah still had 1000 to go through.

3. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

The filter just hasn't gotten to yours yet. Everyday I've 30 or 40 being unpublished. It seems to be picking up speed as far as my hubs are concerned.

It's automated so it has nothing to do with Norah and Maddie. As I understand it, axing these hubs will improve the quality of HP (at least in their minds) so they want to get them off line as soon as possible - now that the 25th has passed.

It only affects Maddie and Norah, if you decided to edit and republish.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm confused, Nelle.  I got an email warning me about my Hubs which didn't comply, and that they would be unpublished if I didn't fix them. 

Didn't you get any warnings?

1. profile image0
        Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just about every hub I had was noncompliant. There was no way for me to make the deadline. Now that I see the impact of editing them. There's no point.

2. Mutiny92 profile image64

Nelle,  did you get a notification or email that they were unpublished?  Or did you just log in and see that they became unpublished?

4. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

Whats confusing?

Im getting hubs unpublished every few hours also. A few weeks back they sent out one monster list of hubs,now they are unpublishng in chunks. You get an email notification after its unpublished .. it might be easy to make changes to the hubs when you have a dozen that dont fit the new rules its a whole different story when you have hundreds. Since the rule didnt take that in account - lots of good earning hubs will be leaving. I made an effort to comply with most of my portfolio under this account but it seems at least a dozen were missed ..ill blame that on the inefficient method they employed, the inability to create some sort of notifier on the account screen was ridiculous.

Since only two mods are working on a backlog of 1000 hubs to be republished, expect that any ranking you enjoyed will be lost by the frequent failures to find by search spiders.

I cant see any logic in unpublishing droves of hubs when they do not have the staff to republish. I would expect and understand that many writers who are not active in the forums, would just take their portfolios away in disgust.

1. profile image0

You know my hubs were making decent money right up until I had to take the products off. Once the products were gone, it became a pointless exercise.

Now that Massachsetts is considering an Amazon tax and ebay isn't converting and I don't qualify for the HP affiliate program - it really doesn't matter when Maddie and Norah moderate my hubs.

5. profile image0

Let's see I got the basic email listing all of my hubs that needed to be fixed.

Now I've been getting emails from "Nobody" which is really Hubpages telling me that an individual hub has been unpublished. BTW I find this "Nobody" really unprofessional. Why can't they just say HubPages Moderator or HubPages Filter?

And the hub is highlighted in pink in my account, which means I have to rework it and submit for manual review.

Honestly I'm not paying that much attention. It's easier to let them unpublish them, then try to manually unpublish. (Unless there's a way to do all the hubs at once, that I haven't figured out yet.) There are only so many hours in a day.

My ebay figures are plumeting so badly, I'll probably take all of the ebay hubs down anyway. HubPages right now isn't worth losing my account over. Ebay is a different animal than Amazon. Amazon doesn't care how badly you convert. But with ebay you have to send traffic that converts or risk your account.

1. lakeerieartists profile image63
      lakeerieartistsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't have as many hubs as Nelle, but I am in the same boat with Ebay.  My Ebay hubs are not converting at all, and I have changed them to the new rules but like Nelle, don't want to lose my Ebay account over these hubs.  I am likely to move this content elsewhere and find a new way to make them convert. 

Highly disappointing, and a big hole in my pocketbook. sad

6. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

Nelle, my sympathies. I know you'll be okay because you always diversified and you're strong that way. But damn what a hit. I'm stunned, and I feel for ya. Their loss, I'm positive.

1. Mutiny92 profile image64

The drop in income hurts us, but the other 40% is going to HP.  I imagine that they are having a hard time of it as well.  Unpublishing these may be best for the long term, but it has to hurt in the short run.

I hope HP comes out of this bigger, badder, and stronger than ever.

7. profile image0

Thank you Pandoras Box. I'm now preparing for the worst, if the Amazon tax passes. I will loose probably 850-900 merchants out of the roughly 1,000 that I work with. But that leaves 100 and I am now moving to promote the h*ll out of them.

Everything has just come on at once - Google, HP's strategy, and dumb-a$$ed state legislators, who don't get it.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Move!!  You don't hafta to live up there with them Yankees anyway, Nellie!  smile

Seriously--Damn!

1. profile image0

Massachusetts is the only state that guarantees me access to health care. I doubt if I could qualify for private insurance in any other state - yes I've looked into it. While I pay the going rate of $850 a month, no it isn't subsidized over a certain income level, the health insurers have to insure me. And it's good coverage. It's a balancing act.

And it's not just liberal yankee states. North Carolina also has already passed it don't forget!

That's why we in the Deep South refer to it as NORTH Carolina smile

8. J.R. Lewis profile image61
    J.R. Lewisposted 13 years ago

I'm confused, does the original text for the amazon products mean that if you're writing about cooking for example and the amazon product you put on there is a spatula you have to write at least fifty words about why that particular spatula is good to use/buy? or does it count since a spatula is a cooking utensil?

JR, you're over-complicating things!

The new rule is simply this - for every Amazon product you display on a Hub, there must be 50 words of text.  So if you have 6 Amazon products displayed, you must have 300 words of text. 

It doesn't matter whether the words are relevant to the products or not.

1. J.R. Lewis profile image61
        J.R. Lewisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol thanks Marisa, I just didn't understand what they meant.

2. Hestia DeVoto profile image60
        Hestia DeVotoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Given that a Hub can be flagged for having unrelated links, it does sort of matter if the text is relevant to the products.  Unless you don't mind having your Hub flagged...

Hestia, I was answering JR's post, which implied that if you showed an Amazon ad for a whisk, you had to write 50 words about whisks.  You don't.  Your text could be anything kitchen-related.

Of course, if you don't say something about whisks, you're not likely to sell any whisks - that's the way the Amazon ads tend to work.  But HP won't penalise you for it.

1. DondaJewel profile image60
            DondaJewelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why are we required to write about whisks or we have to put a whisk in the ad? Seems rather odd, 50 words per capsule whith a whisk jheez how weird.

1. Janet21 profile image80
              Janet21posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You don't have to write 50 words about a whisk!  You could be writing a hub about a pancake recipe, baking recipe or your Top 10 Must Have Kitchen Gadgets and include an amazon capsule for a whisk.  The bottom line is that you are going to need atleast 50 words of text in order to be able to include that amazon product.

You could a) include the amazon capsule for the whisk with a basic description, or b) if you have a favorite brand of whisk you could add some info in your text capsule as to why you love this particular product.  Just some examples.

9. profile image0

I actually did look into moving to Alabama and Missisippi, but there was only one health insurer for self-insured folks and they wanted no part of me and Leo. (Yes, I married a southerner!)

But I would probably prefer moving to an apartment in New Hampshire for legal purposes and spending a lot of time on Cape Cod. (But those insurers wanted no part of me either.)

But maybe it won't pass....

You married a southerner?  I knew you were smart, Nellie!  smile  Yes I do understand, I know you are looking at every aspect of surviving in today's world, including health insurance and everything else we now require, but isn't it a shame we have to?

10. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 13 years ago

Personally, I found that upon editing hubs that didn't comply, my traffic on those hubs actually went up. I assume, then, that they must be higher in the SERPs.

On some hubs I removed some products and on others I added more wording (with regard to making them more interesting.)

When I find hubs that don't comply, I just flag them. No harm in that, right?

11. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

lol, so your traveling the hubverse counting product capsules and words?

12. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 13 years ago

I have no sympathy with spammers jamming as many ads into their hubs as they can.

It you write just 500 words that allows you 10 Amazon or Ebay Ads. That should be enough for even the most cynical marketer.

The spammers have seriously damaged Hubpages for the rest of us and the sooner they quit the better.

1. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The spammers have seriously damaged Hubpages for the rest of us and the sooner they quit the better.

Well said that man, get him a drink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)