Religions began as Ideologies

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (42 posts)
  1. ceciliabeltran profile image63
    ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

Buddha: "Don't blindly believe what I say. Don't believe me because others convince you of my words. Don't believe anything you see, read, or hear from others, whether of authority, religious teachers or texts. Don't rely on logic alone, nor speculation. Don't infer or be deceived by appearances."

"Do not give up your authority and follow blindly the will of others. This way will lead to only delusion."

His version of critical thinking.

Jesus: "Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household."

His version of Independent Thinking, introducing Individualism versus tribalism.

Mohammed:
    "When a woman gives in charity from her husband’s house, reasonably and without waste, she receives the reward of what she has spent and her husband receives his reward for having earned it and the storekeeper will have a similar reward. The reward of one does not decrease those of the others."

His version of the dynamics of economics. (I must admit going through Mohammed's teachings was particularly challenging...some of them were absolutely horrifying but the man was a great leader, he was more like a conqueror and political genius, imposing laws that forced order to a frighteningly disordered bandit culture of the dessert)

1. profile image0
      just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your take on Buddha and Jesus; dead on. I wouldn't know about Mohamed, but you did so well with the other two that I'm inclined to take your word for . smile

1. DoubleScorpion profile image78
        DoubleScorpionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The life of Mohammed and the start of the islamic faith, is a very interesting read. As Cecilia says, it can be difficult to keep an open mind about it, and read it purely for educational reasons. There is a vast difference in cultural acceptance between what you will read and what you currently understand and follow personally. But, I would still recommend the research.

1. profile image0

I wouldn't mind it a bit, if someone would do like the Bible, and give it a modern translation. I found it an incredibly boring read and gave up.

I would read the Qu'ran after I researched Mohammed and Islam in general. I have a fairly modern worded copy of the Qu'ran myself, but it still doesn't flow well.

This is just a thought, if you are interested in learning more on the subject. It is interesting to me...LOL...so it kept my interest peeked...But, I guess, it would be considered on the dry side for most. smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
              Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I understand it is "poetic" in Arabic. If you like a lot of blood and guts that is. lol

Yes, that is how I understand it as well...Poetic Arabic doesn't seem to translate to "modern" English to well...And agreed there is alot of gore...similar to what is found in the bible. Similar stories, different storytellers.

I have tried to read it in English. Possible worse that the bible, but was told in no uncertain terms that must be read in it's original form and it is my fault for not speaking Arabic.

Personally - I cannot see me groveling to an Invisible Super Being incapable of knowing I would be speaking English. lol

Or Hebrew, Ancienst Greek or Aramaic for that matter.

But, it is suppose to be a religion for all. Right?...

And go figure...An "all knowing being" only wrote a book of parables and stories in one or two languages and still expects it to be understood completely and followed blindly by all. Just my thoughts.

2. profile image0

I'll give it a shot, but if I find myself shopping for burkhas you're going to have some explaining to do. smile

You know, I never understood that. So far, from what I have learned about the beginnings of the muslim faith, there is no call for women to have their heads covered. That came about much later.

The Christian bible stated that women's heads were to be covered though, from the beginning. But, that has changed now as well.

I am still working on the "why and how" these changes come about in religions.

1. profile image0

Well, I always heard the requirement to wear hats was stopped since Paul stated he had no divine guidance on the matter, but he insisted on it only because it was established custom.

I'm pretty sure the baptists used that as the reasoning for the change.

I am studying along those lines now with the classes I am taking. (Masters in Religions) So, I am sure I will find the answers that I am curious about with regard to the changes in doctrine within the various religions. This particular course doesn't go as far indepth with Muslim beliefs as I would have liked to see. Time limitations...I might continue later with a focus in Muslim/Islamic doctrine.

2. ceciliabeltran profile image63
        ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are way generous!

2. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nicely done as always.

Most Buddhists believe Buddha is the only one truly capable of enlightenment, and add all kinds of strange superstitions as appendages. Jesus slammed the righteous of the day (Pharisees and Saducees) and spent his time with "sinners." We can construe he would do similarly today.

Mohammed was a very dangerous man, but perhaps justifiably so as you pointed out, as he lived among thieves and robbers who were even more harsh them himself. His rise to power was rather ruthless, as is the case with most—even in the corporate world.

3. profile image49
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Religions began as Ideologies

All truthful religions began with Word of Revelation from the Creator-God; that is why they have many things in common; their source being one.

All religions are lies, and as Cecelia said - started as ideologies. Mostly that needed to be spread by violence. Just like any other political ideal. sad

1. profile image49

Revealed Religions always started peacefully with Word of Revelation from the Creator-god but those who were corrupt powers to be thought they were endagered by the believers and hence they tried to make the believers extinct and opposed them tooth and nail; but they could not succed in their wrongful endeavours. It was very natural and rational for the believers to defend themselves; they also have a right to co-exist.

LOLOL

Please try to use reason instead of illogical nonsense. Spreading nonsense and attacking un-believers is what causes the fights. Thank you.

4. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When I researched my hub about dragons, it seemed clear to me that religions evolved just as much as dragon mythology did.  I'd say that religions evolve from superstition & folklore & than plagarise off each other

The study of that process is called mythology. smile It's highly interesting.

1. profile image0
          Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm now looking at the alchemists.  Surprising how much influence alchemy & religion had on each other too

2. Joshua Greenburg profile image59
    Joshua Greenburgposted 13 years ago

There are over 2,000 translations. Pick one and read it. smile I suggest the Complete Jewish Bible, I use the KJV, But the Jewish Bible uses the real names in Hebrew and Aramaic.

1. profile image49

Even the Hebrew Bible contains little of the Word from the Creator-God, which was revealed on the prophets originally.

2. ceciliabeltran profile image63

read it even in pictograph form

3. secularist10 profile image59
    secularist10posted 13 years ago

I think there is definitely an ideological component to most religions. That is one of the things that enables them to be seized and directed by authority figures.

Communism certainly rose to become a kind of quasi-religion in certain countries in the 20th century.

And many people treat their political ideology today basically as a religion.

1. profile image49

But in Revealed religions that is not the case; Moses,Krishna,Zoroaster,Jesus and Muhammad were humble person; since they were selected prophets by the Creator-God Allah YHWH and commanded to let it be known to others; so they let the Message known to others; Noah and Jonah were also such persons.

1. secularist10 profile image59
        secularist10posted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Revealed" is in the eye of the beholder, because there is no way to know what is really "revealed" and what is not. That is why there are thousands of different religions, cults, sects and faith communities in the world. Everybody has their own opinion. And everybody is "right."

Only Beelzedad is wrong.

1. Beelzedad profile image58
            Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My, my, isn't that interesting, I never even made a post until now and you drag me in with the finely honed skills of an expert troll, if nothing else, to a least point out an appeal to authority fallacy. smile

you know I love to rile you up beel...you are just so easy to poke here and there. because you always take the bait and come up with a quip that is almost clever when you're serious but actually very funny when you're not.

1. Beelzedad profile image58
                Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So, you admit to being a troll. Nice. smile

as always, you miss it by 2-3 degrees. maybe you should recalibrate.

2. profile image49
      3. ceciliabeltran profile image63

they were religionized ideologies. The people you mentioned were indeed ascended masters who wanted to inspire reform, they wanted to introduce a new way of seeing the world so that people would not mechanize understanding...but people get lazy and then forget to use their own heads.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image64
          prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Plus it is easier for a flock to follow their leader that way!

The mixture of transcendental with "this world" ideology make a strong foundation on how people behave. ideology becomes stronger when people take the basic word of their leader to the letter and the failure to adapt to the changing times makes it worst.

Cecilia, good to see you here again,, Kumusta!

hia! kamusta rin!

1. prettydarkhorse profile image64
              prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

mabuti naman!

4. ceciliabeltran profile image63
    ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

lol and there goes the reptillian brain, trying a shot at fame.

5. profile image49
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

You don't have to have a degree for understanding Truthful Revealed Religion; just read the root books; OT, NT, Gita, Quran etc; and it is very interesting.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)