Myth Of Duplicate Content

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (23 posts)
  1. canadawest99 profile image60
    canadawest99posted 12 years ago

People think of duplicate content as a bad thing, but google only defines it as bad if you have duplicate content on a single domain.   So now after the google slap, every writing site is trying to make sure they don't have duplicate content (ie. same as another site) when they don't realize its totally allowable.

Think about news articles from rueters and such which are syndicated across dozens of websites.  They don't worry about some fictional penalty.

1. profile image58
      power4pointposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am agree with your posting.

2. Garrett Mickley profile image77
      Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years agoin reply to this
  2. Michael Willis profile image66
    Michael Willisposted 12 years ago

Money talks loud and clear!

3. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 12 years ago

Let's be very clear here. If you are the owner of an article and you post it on two different sites, that's one thing. It's irrelevant which one ranks higher because you own them both.

If someone takes your content and duplicates it on another site, there's a very real chance that the plagiarized copy will rank higher than your own. We all know that Google completely sucks at figuring out which article is the original.

And while they didn't address it too well with Panda, Google is actively looking at ways to smack "...sites that copy others’ content and sites with low levels of original content." (From The Official Google Blog.)

1. canadawest99 profile image60
      canadawest99posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yup, I totally meant if you are the owner of the article, you should be able to do with it whatever you want.  Not advocating grabbing someone else's stuff and posting it.

2. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure that it's irrelevant, Irohner.  If two sites have the same content (from the same author) will not one site get the majority of the traffic?  And income?

While the two sites may well get more total traffic together, one site will, it seems, certainly get less traffic than if the other site was not there at all.

That would certainly be "relevant" to the second site that only gets a small portion of the total site revenue.

1. lrohner profile image69
        lrohnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. What I meant was that if I posted the same article on two websites, I would benefit from the income on both. So it would be irrelevant which one ranked higher.

But that won't last for very long. As I said, Google is in the process of dinging sites with unoriginal content, so I suspect it won't be "irrelevant" for very much longer. smile

3. weholdthesetruths profile image60
      weholdthesetruthsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This idea is a bit disturbing.    I don't write for money... as in, nothing I have written is there for the express purpose of getting money.    It's there because I wish to be creative, or expressive, period.   However, I did sign up with Adsense, because it made sense.   

If it had not been for the fact that several of my hubs have been partly or in whole reproduced on high traffic sites, my entire earnings would have been about 5% of what they've been.   And they still haven't been significant.   And yes, EVERY site that posted my work, when you google keywords and phrases, ranks higher than the original, in Google.   It now ranks MUCH higher elsewhere than my originals.   They used to be close, now much farther apart. 

So, it seems to me that reproducing our stuff on other websites... Ones with high traffic because they're single domain / single interest, is probably the single best way of getting more traffic.    Those that posted excerpts and links to the original ranked even lower than my original.   

Now, none of the above is a scientific study... it is merely my observation of a few pages over the last few months.   It seems to me that the entire concept of hubpages.. .meaning an unindexed collection of relatively random pages, across myriad topics and interests, is simply going to be ever more harshly shoved downward in the link ratings.    Hubpages will flag us, if we have our content reproduced elsewhere... it will flag index pages, if we index all our content ourself (or appears to).   

In other words, it appears that various protection policies are actually going to hurt us, big time.   

Again, like I said, this is not a scientific study, but rather possible coincidence, but it seems to be true to my instincts.

1. lrohner profile image69
        lrohnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe I'm missing something (I do that quite often) smile, but all that says to me is that your hubs do better anywhere but here.

HubPage's model of articles spanning a variety of topics isn't the issue, as there are still many successful sites out there like this. It's the quality of the articles that's the issue, ie no editorial QA.

4. Michael Willis profile image66
    Michael Willisposted 12 years ago

I have seen more "duplicate content" in the Google search engine than ever  before ---Since-- the Google change.

Websites syndication such as News, Newspaper, Medical, Sports, etc., are ranking full 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd pages in Google and the information is all "duplicates" of each other.

This is my reasoning in my first response to the OP thread about "Money talks loud and clear!"

As far as duplicate content...Google should stop being hypocritical and if they are targeting duplicate content...it should be ALL, not just selected websites!

5. Peter Hoggan profile image67
    Peter Hogganposted 12 years ago

Duplicate content is filtered not penalized. If you put duplicate content on the same domain Google will choose which page to show and filter the rest. If you put duplicate content on your own site and syndicate it there is a danger that the content on your own site will get filtered (not a good idea). If you syndicate duplicate content then most of it will be filtered. However the links from filtered  duplicate content still count and what is filtered to someone in Australia for example may be shown to someone in the US - it all depends on the server location of the dupe content.

Google results are filtered by default, if you want to see the unfiltered results click through to the last page of results and click on the link to show results including filtered pages.

Nothing has changed in the recent updates. What Google is removing is thin content.

6. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

I'm moving my excel spreadsheet data of thieves who scrape content to pastebin page. It's one big list so i'm taking some time to sort URL's and then use it for google chrome personal filter add-on. I doubt google will ever take action against autobloggers/theives so we need to filter results on our own.

7. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

What about 68articles.com, Google hates dupe content but has banned their Adsense account after dozens of copyright complaints

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Google has banned their adsense?  Are you sure?

That's really really sad sad.  My living room may even flood out from my tears.

Thanks, Richie - best news I've had since Panda! smile

2. Peter Hoggan profile image67
      Peter Hogganposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Firstly, there is unlikely to be any copyright complaints associated with content you write and syndicate yourself. Secondly, don't syndicate to content farms.

3. Aficionada profile image80
      Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree that is good news - but the site is still up!  It needs to be totally and finally closed and removed forever.

4. skyfire profile image78
      skyfireposted 12 years agoin reply to this

68articles still has google ads on their site.

8. Astra Nomik profile image62
    Astra Nomikposted 12 years ago

I just did a search for a word on Google and the same link in 5 different websites all came up on page one results. But they are come from the same source. How is that those 5 sites don't get penalised for repeating the content. This drives me nuts.

And the source was wikipedia. Are they slapped? Um... no. And the 68 articles mob got their google adsense back.

I think we need a clarification on the whole "duplicate" content thing, cos it's troubling many of us. Who can we ask...

1. Peter Hoggan profile image67
      Peter Hogganposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What was the word?

2. prettydarkhorse profile image55
      prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cathy, is it a news item? can be scraped. what types of sites are these?

Hope you are both well, you and Cassy.

9. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

People may have already seen this, but just in case...

http://www.google.com/support/webmaster … swer=66359

10. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I think duplicate content is a bad thing because it is duplicate, regardless of what effect it may or may not have on Google rank.  Unique content gives the best value to the reader.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)