Sorry I am asking here but I am going NUTS!

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (17 posts)
  1. composed profile image63
    composedposted 15 years ago

This is driving me crazy... so I apologize for asking a non HubPages question here, but you guys are so great all the time I figured I would ask.

I am attempting to place Adsense on my new Wordpress blog.  I am pasting the code in the text widget and it basically won't save.  I put it in... click done, check it, click done again... but after I click save changes and check the text widget, the code is gone!!!  So obviously it is not showing up on the blog.

Same thing is happening when I try putting the code in a post.

What gives?

Please help... I am about to throw my computer across the room

2. Everyday Miracles profile image84
    Everyday Miraclesposted 15 years ago

Huh. That is really weird. I have never put adsense ads on a wordpress.com blog before that I recall, but I have never had a problem doing it on a non wordpress.com WP blog. I'm going to install on my personal website and get back to you about whether or not I can make it work there. It is possible that wordpress.com is restricting the insertion of java script into the widgets, but that is really strange!

Edit:

Okay, I can resolve this issue on my personal blog, but the version appears to be outdated. I haven't used that blog in forever. It's an earlier version than what wordpress.com has.

On the blog on my personal site I need to put a title in for the widget/module. Then I can get it to go through and work. Without the title, nothing at all.

On wordpress.com, I can't make it happen. The first time I put in a title and then copied and pasted the code. When I clicked "save" it happened just as you described. The site reflected the title, but nothing else. So that's strange.

I deleted that widget and tried again. When I saved, both the title and the code was missing. So my guess is that Wordpress.com is no longer allowing adsense ads on their pages.

I would check their support forums and see what you can find. If no answers there, the post a topic and see if you get a response. I'm sorry that I can't help you more. I've never tried to put adsense ads on a wordprss.com site!

http://en.forums.wordpress.com/

3. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 15 years ago

Wordpress.com does not allow AdSense adds on their blogs.  This applies to blogs ending in .wordpress.com/.  If your blog is under your own domain name, then that is not the problem.

Another idea, the widget is HMTL format, and I *think* the google adds are another format. 

I have ran into trouble with the format, trying to put an Analytics tracking code on my wordpress blog.

4. Everyday Miracles profile image84

That's what I thought it might be, Ivorwen. Strange though, considering that blogging forums seem to refer to putting Adsense ads on Wordpress.com blogs all the time. I always thought that seemed quite strange!

5. composed profile image63

yep that's exactly it... cannot do it on Wordpress.COM!

Crazy... cos you are right, i just assumed you could based on everything I have read.

what is the cheapest, but best way to set up a blog and be able to use AdSense?

i thought you could with wordpress... that sucks!

thanks for the replies.

1. Ivorwen profile image66
      Ivorwenposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Try Google's blog(s).  Sorry, I forget the name, but if you go to your google homepage, and click on more, you can set up a free blog.  (I think they are Blogspot)

2. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Okay, I hit reply before all the others responded and grabbed myself a coffee so I didn't get the full picture until I read what everyone else has said.

wordpress.com is a hosted blogging platform. No Adsense allowed.

wordpress.org gives you the same thing, as a download, to install onto your own webhosting. And you can implement Adsense ads.

With the right webhosting account you can easily install WordPress without raising a sweat.

1. Everyday Miracles profile image84
        Everyday Miraclesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hosting can be downright cheap, too. Like I said, you can get it for less than $5 a month and most will allow you to install it with a couple of clicks, no problems at all. The version will be outdated in most cases, depending on your host, but it's easy. Domains can be registered for about $10 for a year.

1. composed profile image63
          composedposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the offer... I will consider that.

Any places to point me to where I can get the hosting, etc. for the prices you note above!?

I love your Hubs, BTW!!

6. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 15 years ago

Honestly, my exposure to the Internet world social has been quite limited, and mot of it has been limited to wordpress.com.  That is where I discovered the ability to share ideas and knowledge, as well as enjoy writing.  I have been reading here on hubpages a few months, joined facebook, though I don't overly care for it, and used Helium.com a bit. 

Before that, I relied wholly on search engines.

Forums are brand new to me.

7. Everyday Miracles profile image84

What is your blog about, composed. Depending on the subject I might be able to host you reasonably (for free).

8. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 15 years ago

Sometimes you need a special wp plugin to make the Adsense work. Or...

You need to open the right php file, usually in the folder of the theme you're using, and copy and paste the code into there (which is hopefully the right place).

If you don't know PHP it can be a bit tricky. But if you're very familiar with HTML you can kind of feel your way around. I keep a copy of the original file somewhere else on my hard drive in case I do the wrong thing, and I upload the edited file and see if I broke it or not (or whether it's worked).

9. composed profile image63

my blog is going to be about biking in Los Angeles... the premise being that even in the heart of car culture, one can almost solely bike... it will chronicle experiences biking, give some tips, and from time to time might be slightly off color, but nothing too out there :->

10. Everyday Miracles profile image84

Huh...

Okay, I have motherhoodmiracle.com and I have... I can't remember the name of the other one dagnabbit! Political-fringe.com. That one is my husband's site. I can install a blog for you on either of those two domains. Just give me the name of a subdomain you would like and give me until tomorrow.

Keep in mind of course that I can't market for you like wordpress.com does to a certain extent as well as blogger.

But I honestly think that I'm probably going to be your best option and you shouldn't have any more problems with wordpress if you're using FireFox like I am!

I'd like to add that a link back to my friend who hosts the site would be a nice touch. I won't insist, but it doesn't hurt to ask wink

11. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

I made the same mistake about wordpress.com - there are so many people out there talking about blogging on Wordpress and it's easy for newbies to think they're talking about the .com version.

If you're serious about starting a blog, I'd recommend you buy a domain name and pay for hosting, and set up the blog using Wordpress.org (which is free).  The investment for one year of domain name + hosting isn't that much when you think about it. Mine cost me $75 Australian and I went with an Aussie hosting company which isn't the cheapest way of doing it.

You'll be able to create a good name for your blog (read Eric Graudin's Hub about the Radio Rule to understand why that's important - if it's still there, Eric, or tell us where to find it?) and you'll have total freedom to advertise.   

You'll also find Wordpress.org is much more flexible and versatile than the .com version - which also means there's more of a learning curve, but you can set up something basic to start with and tweak as you go along.

12. Everyday Miracles profile image84

Thank you, composed!

I am going to refer you to the person who hosts my sites. He is a reseller, which some people don't like. I have had a problem or two due to this fact because if he doesn't pay his bill, we get cut off.

I forgot to mention I also have sims2writersguild.com. Oops. I don't run that site so I forget I own it. Weird.

At any rate, the address for his hosting is:

http://pomirc.com/?page_id=64

All of his packages are under $5 and he gives you a lot of everything that you need!

You can also check out the list of Top 10 Best Web Hosting sites. I just did a Google search and they came up. I've had great luck with lunarpages, but they are a bit more expensive.

http://www.thetop10bestwebhosting.com/

13. composed profile image63

thanks!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)