What ? eating disorders in children as young as 4??

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)
  1. chald profile image60
    chaldposted 13 years ago

I just heard in the local news that children as young as 4 are being hospitalised due to eating disorders. Come on people 4? what the the parents of the these children saying? Children are like sponges they take everything in. I feel that at that age children should just be children, they don't need pressure like that!

1. BizGenGirl profile image88
      BizGenGirlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree Chald. The pressure on children under 5 is just crazy. They are now expected to have perfect learning, eating, behavioral, mental and social skills. That is too early.

When my son was 4 and in preschool, they said he had a speech impediment. We worked on it all summer and now he doesn't have any issues in kindergarten. Though in kindergarten (this year), they tried to claim that he is "autistic like", because he's lacking in some social skills and had a few problems for a couple of weeks, which is mostly because he's an only child and we can't afford the local activities that would get him around other kids his own age more often. We hoped that he would be able to pick up those social ques and skills at school. And through some negotiations with him, my son improved ten-fold at school in less then two weeks. They started out saying he needed to see a pro-psych doctor and now they really have no ground to stand on, lol.

I'd imagine that most of these so called "eating disorders" in 4 year olds is from parents that are feeding their children food with very low nutritional value. Our current generation of parents was raised on the notion that chicken nuggets and boxed dinners are perfectly nutritious. Or they are allowed to use the excuse that busy schedules don't allow for better nutrition.

On top of that, even parents who do recognize how unhealthy most store bought food is and who make the time to cook healthy food, can't afford the price of organic foods, which is really what we should all be eating. Especially children.

As far as children being like sponges in terms of food, I've experienced that. Though my son is not so much of a sponge. He goes through periods when he wants to eat a lot, and other times when he will barely nibble all day, even if I offer him his favorite foods. He's not unhealthy because of his eating habits though. He's actually top of his growth category and a nearly perfect weight. So I don't think it's an issue of how much they are eating. It's probably more to do with what they are eating. Even your average fruits and veggies at most stores are full of preservatives, pesticides, chemicals and a whole wad of other junk that can make a childs immune system and behavior go backwards.

Eating disorders for 4 year olds is about as rediculous (sp?) as kids under 5 being diagnosed with learning disorders. It's way to early to know anything for sure. The pharmaceutical companies have people convinced that it's "early prevention", when it's really just another ploy to drug kids and to avoid smart and healthy parenting.

2. TLMinut profile image60
    TLMinutposted 13 years ago

From what I've seen, four-year-olds don't eat enough to live on...but they manage! Parents freak out because their kid doesn't seem to eat anything ever, they're super picky.
    What kind of eating disorders? Too much or not enough?
    My granddaughter ate too much when we first got her, enough that I actually called the doctor to find out if it was a sign of something wrong - maybe something wasn't being absorbed and she was desperately trying to get it. I was told it was likely behavioral due to not being fed enough in the previous years and to watch her to see if the situation improved while she had a safe, normal life. It did.
    Still, seems to come back to parenting issues.

3. Moonchild60 profile image75
    Moonchild60posted 13 years ago

My children ate what they wanted.  I always put dinner on their plate however and did not leave much of a choice.  I cook a great deal of vegetables and veggie dishes, I buy a great deal of organic now, but did not when my oldest was growing up.  He is now 22 and went through periods (a tween and teenager) where he ate only junkie foods.  Frozen garbage he asked for and junk food.  He was never overweight, on the contrary, he was too thin.  Today he is muscular from protein shakes, buys organic and still sprinkles his diet with his old frozen favorites.

My youngest is also rail thin due to ADHD medication they had him on and we were thrilled when at 12 he finally cracked 60 and is now 64.6 pounds.  He has gained 8 pounds in the past month and that is no small matter.  We took him off his stimulant medication.  He loves fruit so sometimes when he asks for cookies or ice cream I will say "how about an apple/grapes/strawberries instead".  Children have to make choices but they should be offered healthy choices. And only 2 at a time if they are 4.  Any child with an eating disorder has pressure from the mother or father.  We stress our children out with ridiculous demands as someone else said.  These kids are not born this way.  Their parents are destroying them for nothing.  These kids will not be great A- personality over achievers because they will be dead from suicide or drugs.  Their parents will blame themselves, and they should, it will be all their fault.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)