What am I doing Wrong?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Gaizy profile image73
    Gaizyposted 12 years ago

I seem to be seeing a lot of posts from Hubbers who are generating reasonable income for their work even after a short time. I've just read a post from a woman who has made $30 dollars from adsense after only 16 days Hubbing! I have been Hubbing two weeks and have nine hubs running. I am signed up to Google, Hub Pages Revenue and Amazon, I think I have good keywords (at least on some Hubs, and I am posting links all over the place. Yet my income form Google=$0 Amazon=$0 and Hub Pages Revenue= 23cents. Despite the fact That I know I have links out there, when I check my Hubs with SEO Quake, not a single link is shown for any of my Hubs - I don't understand. Where am I going Wrong?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Bear in mind that Hubbers can earn ongoing referral fees by signing up new recruits.  So always take claims about earning with a pinch of salt.

I do know a few Hubbers who made their first Adsense payout in three months.  One hit on a spectacularly successful niche by pure chance.  The rest were all experienced internet writers already, and knew exactly how to maximise their Hubs to earn income fast. 

The truth is, the average Hubber takes 9 months to a year to reach their first payout.  It's quite a normal pattern to make $5 in the first two or three months, then the dollars start adding up faster and faster.

And yes, I've seen links not show up.

1. Gaizy profile image73
        Gaizyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that Marisa

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

You stats seem normal to me, for the number of hubs.

3. theherbivorehippi profile image65
    theherbivorehippiposted 12 years ago

You definitely need to give it time.  Only two weeks with nine hubs is not nearly enough time for you to be concerned.  I've certainly never heard of a Hubber making $30 in their first 16 days of Hubbing.

Have patience and keep writing, it takes a while to get going but once you start earning it makes it all worthwhile.

Welcome to Hubpages! smile

1. Gaizy profile image73

Thanks for the reassurance. - Is it also normal not to have links show in the stats (even when youknow they're out there)?

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's normal for Google to take quite some time to fully crawl links and use them to move your pages up in rank.

And I earned about $3 in my first three months. I really don't believe anyone could earn $30 in 16 days. The only exception is if the person had a VERY good niche topic which garnered tons of traffic. Could you provide a link?

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

This career is a long road... smile

5. Howard S. profile image90
    Howard S.posted 12 years ago

I found the following stats to be very helpful, mainly because the number of hubs remained constant for the periods compared.  [here]

1. Gaizy profile image73

Thanks Howard

6. Rosie2010 profile image69
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

Hi, Gaizy, welcome to Hubpages!  Did this woman who presumably earned $30 from Adsense after only 16 days hubbing show proof?  I also read from another hubber who started at the same time as I did six months ago that he earned his first Adsense payout in his first month.  I was blown away, I felt I must be a total loser.  So I checked his views and sonovagun, the guy had more than 100,000 views, while I only had 1,000 views.  So it is possible that he really earned his first paycheck on his first month.  But then again, I didn't see any proof.  They say "the proof is in the pudding" so where da heck is the pudding?  Don't believe every thing you read, as some are... are... how do I say it nicely... full of chit! big_smile

Just keep on writing.  I didn't earn a cent on my first month and I had 30 hubs then.  I did the 30hubs in 30days challenge on my first month so I know exactly how many hubs I had.  But on the second month, I earned $3.. I was so thrilled I actually announced it here in forums. lol

Best wishes,
    Rosie

1. Gaizy profile image73

Thanks Rosie - Nice to know that it's not just me!

7. mdlawyer profile image45
    mdlawyerposted 12 years ago

Slow and steady wins the race.  Continue to write quality, useful content and promote it.

8. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

Shwmae Gaizy a chroeso!

It took me 17 months to payout with 19 hubs, but that was mostly pre-Panda. I do not expect to reach a second Adsense payout for a very long time since I have not had a single click on my hubs for 2 weeks now. On the other hand, I am making a few pennies per day on HP Ads.

With only 19 Hubs, you did well to reach payout so quickly.

9. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

could be that they were exaggerating or that they failed to mention they have other websites outside of HP

10. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

I deeply resent being accused of lying!

What is the point of exaggerating with earnings of this scale, anyway? After all, an income of £60 for 19 separate articles over a 17-month period is rather a joke. My main work is medical translation, for which I charge £60-75 per 1000 words depending on the client. I translate 1500-3000 words per day most days, i.e. I earn far more PER DAY for translation than I have earned in total for my hubs over 17 months.

I reached Adsense payout on those 19 hubs alone. I have started setting up a web site in the last couple of weeks, from which I have received one Adsense click so far, which was worth less than 20p. Similarly, I have placed a couple of articles on other sites recently, from which I have not yet received any clicks. Other than that, I have 29 articles on Helium, where I started a couple of months before coming here. For those, I have received slightly more than the Adsense payout for my hubs, but those payments go directly from Helium to Paypal rather than through my Adsense account. 

Oh, and before I get any clever comments as to why I waste time here instead of translating more: I would love to have the chance to work less than the 18+ hour days I sometimes have to put in to meet deadlines. The prospect of setting up a bit of residual income to allow me to do this is what started me on Helium and then HP. Unfortunately, the pressure of translating work has given me no time to build up a decent collection of articles.

1. theherbivorehippi profile image65
      theherbivorehippiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol...I think that the comment made by Richieb799 is directed at the OP, not you.  At least when I read it...I take it that way. smile  I would think if you were lying...you wouldn't have picked a long 17 month period to lie about. lol  Surely you would have shortened that down to at least 15 months. wink

2. WryLilt profile image88

I very much doubt that Richie's comment was aimed at you. And as for the payout amount, I think that's a good average for the number of hubs you have. It means they're in good niche topics and have matured well.

1. Mikeydoes profile image44
        Mikeydoesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah.. I was really confused and was trying to figure out what she was talking about. But yeah, I guess she must have thought that.

2. WriteAngled profile image73
        WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It came just after Marisa commenting that I'd done well to reach payout when I did, so I took it to be a response to that comment.

I also don't think Richie was having a go at you, but at the OP.   Your post clearly says that your income came from your Hubs.

Ever since the forums was changed so you could view it two different ways, I've found it harder to work out who's replying to who, sometimes!

Edit: Actually, I dont think 19 Hubs is "pitiful" at all.  The fact they've done so well proves that - quality over quantity, I say! 

Mind you, perhaps I'm biased.  I wrote 55 Hubs in a short space of time when I first joined, but like you, other demands took over. When you think I've only managed another 100 Hubs in three years, my body of work looks fairly pitiful too!

11. Mikeydoes profile image44
    Mikeydoesposted 12 years ago

These are your tags for your weight loss hub. There is no doubt that you will make Google's rankings with what is below.

diet weight loss weight calories belly fat weight gain weight control calorie counting weigh calories day easy diet ideal weight how to diet easy way.

You need to target keywords that will give you the best chance of ranking on google.

Go to the search bar and see what you are up against, find long tail keywords that fit your hub well.

12. paradigmsearch profile image60

Nothing?

13. paradigmsearch profile image60

Who is on first?

1. WryLilt profile image88

What?

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, What is on second.

1. Bible Studies profile image63
          Bible Studiesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If who is on first, what is on second, then is when on third?

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
            paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

YES! lol

1. Bible Studies profile image63
              Bible Studiesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You mean I actually got it right????

yikes  big_smile

14. Howard S. profile image90
    Howard S.posted 12 years ago

I am hesitant to get involved, but this needs to be cleared up before it gets out of hand. And the jokers are inserting irrelevant comments.

WriteAngled took umbrage to Marisa's comment, not to Richie's. WriteAngled misunderstood Marisa's comment, reading it with an unintended tone of sarcasm, "With only 19 Hubs, you did well to reach payout so quickly." M in no way meant to challenge WA, but simply to affirm that M's results were a) within the range of reasonable expectations, and b) above average.

1. WriteAngled profile image73
      WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No no, I did not see anything at all sarcastic in Marisa's comment. I am fully aware that a total of 19 hubs is fairly pitiful and that I did well to reach payout already on them. Work always gets in the way, because when I do produce a hub, it tends to take me a long time, so I have not been active here as I intended to be.

I was under the impression that Richieb was referring to me exaggerating about reaching payout on such a small number of hubs and that he was implying that I was either lying or that I had other web properties tucked away somewhere earning me money on Adsense.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)