Moderation Queue - Reporting Hubs vs Accounts

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (70 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

In a thread a few days ago, a discussion began about accounts which have been here quite some time and have a lot of published hubs that are noticeably breaking Hubpages ToS. Despite the accounts being flagged repeatedly, the accounts and most of their hubs still remain.

The staff answer to the reason was that the accounts were on probation but staff hadn't gotten around to moderating all the hubs published by the account as yet, since not ALL were against ToS (meaning they couldn't just enforce a blanket ban.)

A particular account mentioned was http://hubpages.com/profile/www.ibuzzup.com

I did an experiment - a few days ago I reported over 30 hubs on the account. Interestingly enough, all but two of those hubs have been unpublished.

What I'm wondering is why the moderation queue is more likely to moderate single hubs than entire accounts - especially when the entire accounts have a lot of hubs which are against ToS.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Well stated. It sounds like HP still has a lot of work ahead of them. sad

3. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

They really do have a lot of work ahead.

I'm with Wry, though.  If a hubber has several hubs with gross violations (not in the category of pixelated images, deceptive tags or other minor problems) then it might make more sense to immediately go through the whole list from that hubber.  I very often find that hubbers with bad violations have more of them, usually of every hub, whether they have 5 hubs of 500.  When a dozen bad hubs are found, simply unpublish all of them.

I would think that it would eliminate more garbage with less effort and in less time than randomly looking at hubs.  Although I would hope that the process is not random.

WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well that's basically what they did to Spacey Gracey.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The moderators don't randomly look at Hubs, they work through the flags raised by Hubbers and by the automated filters, in strict chronological order.

If I understand it right, that's how moderation has always worked, and HubPages doesn't see any reason to change it - however personally, I agree they should be taking a step back and rethinking it, in light of the new situation.

But I think the order they look at a single hub vs an entire account is on a different level of some sort.

2. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that would make sense (taking flagged hubs in order). 

I would agree that they may need to re-think that strategy in recent times, though.  I really expect that we are getting a lot of spammers being kicked off of other places and/or having their work devalued by google and wanting to crank up again somewhere else.

4. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

Just an observation , if you notice the account pointed out by
    WryLitt; it seems to be from a website, similar to HP.

It makes one wonder if the articles come from that web site. The numbers raises eyebrows, over 2000 hubs ? in less than 2 years, that's what, 33 hubs per day?

The HP staff cannot hope to review them in a timely manner unless somehow this becomes automated.

1. SunSeven profile image61
      SunSevenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thats bad maths. smile Also its very much possible, some very high quality hubbers here have done better than that before. Try a search Hal Licino

5. LuisEGonzalez profile image78

@SunSeven: The math is an approximation; 33 x 730=24090 which is approximately what the account has. My concern is that the account is a web site address ; www.ibuzzup.com. If I am wrong, then I apologize, it just seems odd.

6. LuisEGonzalez profile image78

Sorry , the correct number of hubs is 2622 x 20 months.

1. Mutiny92 profile image64
      Mutiny92posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Luis,  look closer. The hubs were published in a five month period.  I flagge this account a long time ago.

7. CASE1WORKER profile image61
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

i have flagged a few- they are obviously spun and follow a pattern- i was so excited- is used so often! IT totally  lowers the tone of this site

I agree. It definitely does not seem to support google's series of questions that webmasters should be asking about what constitutes a good site.

8. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

It would be nice if when you flagged something you got some feedback on whether it was really 'flaggable' or not.  I am not 100% sure that I am interpreting some of the issues correctly (like substandard or overly promotional).

9. Mutiny92 profile image64
    Mutiny92posted 12 years ago

This is pet peeve of mine, but the ruling appears to be that JUST the URL or URL + login is deceptive.  But add the single word "review" to the title and that is completely ok. This author fixed everything by doing just that:

http://hubpages.com/profile/writers

Personally, I disagree. The definition of deceptive is "likely or designed to be misleading". Read the comments where people think that these hubs actually belong to the company under review. I have flagged several where people left personally identifiable information like usernames, passwords, phone numbers etc thinking they would get a response back from the company under review. It is safe to say that the hub "was likely to mislead" because it did trick at least some of the readers. 

Even the high quality ones-the true reviews of sites- are misleading.

I do find it fascinating that my hubs that violated a rule get pulled down immediately but these groups of authors with millions of views get placed "on probation" and are allowed to continue "misleading" people.

But that is just my opinion and it's not shared by the decision-makers.

Oh well...

10. Sesshoumaru2st profile image61
    Sesshoumaru2stposted 12 years ago

If I was to be fair and follow the moral path,i would have done what the moderators did.I would have punished the bad and only the illicit.If that person has great hubs that are not deemed punishable,i would leave them and let them add to my site's content. A win win situation if you follow the moral path.

11. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 12 years ago

Clearly there are accounts set up in HP where the only purpose is to spam.

Why is it so difficult for HP to terminate them?

12. WryLilt profile image88

My point is NOT pointing out the number of spam hubs.

The point of this post was to point out that HUBS and ACCOUNTS are moderated differently.

A HUB that is flagged will be taken down in a relatively short time while an ACCOUNT may have its posting privileges removed but takes a LOT longer (often months) before moderators unpublish its hubs, especially if there are a lot of them.

The only way to get an ACCOUNT's hubs removed fast is by flagging EACH hub.

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
      Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Uh, OK, so why is it so difficult for HP to remove an account? Maybe HP ought to change its rules/methodology about taking down entire accounts. If I were in charge there at HP, this is exactly what I'd be proposing: if it's a spamming account, get rid of it without waiting for flags against its individual Hubs.

13. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 12 years ago

You can flag an account/profile as well as a Hub...can't believe spammers' profiles haven't been flagged as often as individual Hubs. What's HP waiting for?

14. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 12 years ago

Wry, maybe you should post this in the "Report a Problem" section.

The HubPages staff aren't around in the forums much which is understandable,but one would hope they're keeping an eye on the Report section.  That way we might stand a chance of getting an explanation of how it works.

True. I did ask Jason about this in a thread but he said he had no idea because he hadn't moderated since '07 neutral

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

This is one thing that concerns me.  The HP team seems to have left Jason to deal with the forums because the moderators are so busy, but he doesn't have as much knowledge of the process as we think - and he doesn't want to disturb the moderators to ask.  Which leaves all of us feeling discontented and ignored!

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
          Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Of course, Marisa!  If he doesn't know, he cannot reveal anything we shouldn't know.  Sort of like the guy who answers questions for a president at a news briefing.  The old "need to know basis."  lol

15. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

Can I ask what kind of violations that we are talking about here?  Were I to look at that persons account, it sounds like I'd not get to see much of what you were talking about.

If you're referring to the account in question, (ibuzzup), you'll see that many of the titles would lead people to believe the hub is the actual website of that company. Deceptive.

Many of the comments on the hubs also show that people believe the hubs to be ways to contact the actual website in question.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I see.  Good call with the flagging.  I was also amazed at the sheer number of hubs - it's the most I've ever seen, but I suppose that anyone could mass produce garbage.

16. WryLilt profile image88

An example of a deceptive hub (published over a year ago):

http://hubpages.com/hub/www-homedepot-c … ine-Survey

Note the comments on this hub.

This is sad.  Over 1,000,000 views for this hubber with a profile of "1"!  It's impossible for me believe these hubs haven't been noticed by HP staff before!  Allowing such crap as this on the site is exactly the reason HP got Panda slapped.

This stinks to high heaven! mad

i flagged a few website review hubs for people leaving personal info in the comments.  They believe the hub is actually the website under review.

The title "deceptive" means that it is misleading...intentional or not, these have proven to be misleading. 

They bring  in millions of views, so does HP unpublish them and watch their views get flushed away?  That is a lot of revenue that they would forgo.

and I agree that these hubs do not, in any way, shape or form support Googles series of questions for webmasters.  Can anyone say that these are good user experiences?

Of course they should be unpublished.  Let's keep a close eye on this stuff and see what happens next.  HP can't very well leave these up while others are getting tossed if the site has any integrity at all!  We've pointed these out so HP cannot claim they didn't know about them.

If they leave them up, we can contact Google about this problem and they can have a little come-to-Jesus talk with HP themselves.  I don't care how much money this crap makes HP, especially if they tout quality as being desired on all hubs.

...and this account is only one of many like it.

17. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

I often have a look at a hubbers account if I come across a hub that is an obvious copy, or spun etc..
    More often than not when I look at a selection of their hubs they are all the same...

I have flagged individual hubs (those that I looked at) then flagged the author as they have obviously get the same issues with all their hubs and explained in the little message box why...

Nothing seems to happen!!!!!!!!!!

Have you noticed the hubs you flagged may be taken down but the account isn't?

I am not aware of any accts being taken down as a result of my flagging.  These are very valuable hubbers for HP...

No wonder no one from staff addresses these type hubs.  That also stinks!  mad

18. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

If people have copied multiple hubs, spun multiple hubs or all of the hubs are in terrible english or in a foreign language - REMOVE the account!!!! If they want to tidy the site they need to take action, why wait for other hubbers to flag each and every hub when it is obvious that the whole account is being run by a less than honest individual!!!!!

These accounts have blatantly spun and copied articles for each and every hub but they don't remove them...or are they in the queue?

Perhaps an employee is the culprit!  This would explain a lot of these hub being left alone.  To HP staff-Feel free to prove us wrong or at least give us the courtesy of addressing this issue.  If not, we can only assume we are correct in our suspicions!

1. Simone Smith profile image86
        Simone Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Heyuh!

Moderating an account is a much bigger deal than moderating individual Hubs.  We typically don't consider moderating an account as a whole unless the Hubber is underage or repeatedly violates HubPages rules.

Consider it this way- if a Hubber joins HubPages and isn't so familiar with the rules, he or she could publish quite a few Hubs before our moderation team starts to see that there's something wrong.  This Hubber might then have a bunch of substandard Hubs on his or her hands, and will only realize this is the case when one of those Hubs gets moderated and he/she is reminded of the rules.

Is it then fair for us to just kick them off the site? Of course not! So we remind them of some violations and hope they take heed of our rules and revise all of their Hubs.  If we find that Hubbers have repeated violations, and if they are repeatedly resubmitting substandard work, then we will moderate their entire account.

But we've got to give them a chance, no?  You're all pros.  You know the rules.  But certainly you can agree that not all of them are intuitive, and that there's a bit of a learning curve smile

So to address this issue: we aren't as harsh up front because we want to give honest online writers a fair chance.  And it takes a while to work through flagged work and to give Hubbers warnings - as you know, we've taken on a bunch of (really cool!) new moderators, and they're still getting up to speed with the new rules, too.

I hope that answers things ^_^;; - let me know if it doesn't.

Yes, but this doesn't address the mentioned profiles with many substandard (thousands in some cases) hubs which remain published even after being flagged by numerous members.

How can these writers ( with a profile score of "1") escape your attention so easily?  Especially when they have over 1,000,000 views?  Ordinary members can find these type hubbers, as has been noted on these forums many times, so your "really cool" mods should have no problem quickly eliminating their junk.

Also, define "really cool".  Perhaps it means something different now than it did in the 60's and 70's!  lol

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

Simone, that's exactly what we're talking about in the examples given here.  These are Hubbers who have large numbers of flagged Hubs, and the flaggings are for major violations, not small things. 

The main concern Hubbers are expressing, and which we're getting no response to, is this:

We are seeing good, experienced Hubbers having Hubs unpublished for fairly minor violations, while there are huge amounts of spammy Hubs still on the site.  We feel HP should be looking for ways to prioritise the removal of the worst offenders.

This is only one of several threads which have been suggesting other ideas.  No one from HP has joined any of those discussions, except to say "we know best, go away and play quietly, children".

HubPages used to listen to Hubbers' suggestions and if they couldn't adopt them, they would explain why.  We're all getting frustrated at being ignored, especially when we're trying to help.

1. Jason Menayan profile image61
            Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I added an entry to the bottom here:
            http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/74274

We actively review questions/issues that come up in this Forum. We can't possibly respond to every individual post that comes up, which is why we add new entries to that same thread when we see common questions come up.

For very specific questions regarding moderation or what's necessary for compliance, please contact us.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Jason, if you're going to add something to an existing thread, then please add it as a new post.

No one has any way of knowing that post has had new information added, so how many Hubbers do you think will read it?

It's the same with the FAQ - it's been updated to include an explanation of tags and a few other things, but how does anyone know that?

19. Simone Smith profile image86
    Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

Really cool = awesome big_smile

And I don't imagine they've escaped our attention.  I'm sure that Hubs that really are substandard and should not be on the site will be removed - we haven't said we're done moderating, right?

We have metrics built in that help to clue us in when we're looking at profiles that are likely to have many substandard Hubs, so we're definitely on the lookout for these writers.  It just takes time to get to all of them.  But the flagging really helps, so we appreciate it!

I really appreciate your response, even though it really doesn't tell us any more than what has been previously stated.  It shouldn't take too long to clean this junk up as we will continue to point out obvious suspect accounts by both flagging and posting them on the forums if they are not removed after a short period of time. 

We all want this junk off of this site to regain the loss of credibility which I blame directly on these type hubs.  Unfortunately, there seems to be more being published everyday to replace those removed.

But thanks for at least posting something. 

Your bow is really cool!  smile

1. Simone Smith profile image86

Oh drat! I'm honestly not trying to dance around anything. I really do want to answer any questions or address any issues.

Is the question: Why does the junk still exist even when it is flagged?

To that, the answer is:
        1. We can only moderate so quickly, so even though it SEEMS like we should be keeping up.... man... you should see the actual volume and pace... it's hefty O_O

2. Some things that Hubbers flag remain published because the flagged content does not technically violate our TOS or standards.  Believe me, there's a lot of stuff we WANT to take down (or at least that *I* want to take down) but we made clear rules and we make a point of stickin' to 'em and playin' fair.

Obviously we don't want to see crappy stuff out there.  But hey... we don't want to be nazis, either.  And we *have* upped our standards significantly... and caught a bunch of flack about it... it's kind of a darned if you do, darned if you don't thing.  We're doing the best to make this site as good as it can be for everyone.

If that doesn't address the issue, dumb it down for my limited cognitive capacity and I'll take another crack at it.

Okay! Perhaps it may be your responses to me which aren't "dumbed down" enough rather than mine.  lol

Take the article Wry Lit gave for an example:

http://hubpages.com/hub/www-homedepot-c … ine-Survey

and these comments on the hub:

Hobbs,DB 5 weeks ago

why are you not accepting the User ID and Passwords off of my Sales Slips

LPierce 4 weeks ago

Why did you stop caring telephone for your home in the store in the Maryland area?

Dr. P.J. Galasso, Ph.D. 2 weeks ago

Bayne served us and on each of three questions he came up with the correct answer and did it with sincerity. He is an outstanding representative of yours. It is service like this that keeps us coming back.

Are these people not deceived by the hub?  Personally, if I were HP I would worry about being sued by Home Depot or any other company for allowing these hubs on here in the first place.  Some are so convinced by these type "reviews" they leave personal info on them, such as passwords and account information.

I don't know what you guys are doing and I'll bet you are sure busy, but apparently you didn't start out by checking those with thousands of hubs bringing in millions of views with an extremely low profile score.  Because this one has a "1" lol

Perhaps giving us a list with hubbers similar to that one will aid us in helping you eliminate these more quickly.

Oh, and if this one doesn't break the TOS then please explain why or dumb it down even further so we aren't so confused.

It's so good to be able to actually ask a real person questions, Simone.  I hope you realize I am not trying to make things difficult for you, just trying to understand what is or is not allowed to be published on the site.  Thanks again!smile

Randy Godwin

1. Michael Willis profile image68
            Michael Willisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Misleading and deception go hand in hand! Obviously these commenters were mislead.
            If I was mislead...I would just hit the Block button that Google has installed.

2. Michael Willis profile image68

I just looked at the Home Depot page by Ibuzzup. I would see this page as "Overly Promotional." It promotes another site by the link.

You are seeing the same thing I am Michael.  I looked through many of this members 2500+ hubs and they all seem to be crap of the worst kind.  The only plus I can see for these types of hubs is in hopes searchers will quickly click a Google ad just to get away.  But hey, that would make money for both the writer and HP even if it didn't offer any useful info. 

Of course, the people paying Google for the frustrated ad clicks are getting nothing for their money and, as we have recently witnessed, the Panda bites us on the wallet in revenge.

Notice how many of the hubber's titles have www. in them?  Another easy way to find crap easily.  smile

Hey...if it works to get heavy traffic to our Hubs, then why not everyone just add the www_whatevertitlewewant_com to deceive viewers and get them here. Doesn't matter if it is only a scheme, right?

One or two like this, I can see as a hubber that needs the moderation by hub to show the problem with this. But with sooo many, it is obvious what is going on.

2. Mrvoodoo profile image59
          Mrvoodooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nope, still dancing around it.

It's pretty simple really.  Does HP (and not you personally) consider hubs that intentionally set out to deceive visitors that they're something that they're not (such as the login section of another website) to be acceptable?

Personally, I'm not bothered either way.  But it's always nice to receive a clear, honest, and direct answer.  Just so we all know where we're at.

No.

Read the subtitle "What's the deal with misleading Hubs?" here:
            http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/74274

If a Hub that was moderated as misleading is changed so that it's no longer misleading, then it's allowed to be republished.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image59

OK, now we're getting warmer. 

So what we're saying is, that titles such as 'www.********.com' are acceptable, if it can just about be passed off as a review of the site.  But placing something like 'login' or 'sign-in' in the title, makes them deceptive?

Neither is acceptable; both are deceptive (at least to me; I suspect the moderators would agree).

But "www.****.com review" is fine if it is indeed a review of that site.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image59

Good to know. 

As far as I'm concerned, that's now as clear as can be.

Many thanks.

2. Randy Godwin profile image59

Okay.  So merely because SOME people are deceived, as indicated by them leaving phone numbers, passwords, login info etc. doesn't necessarily mean the hub is deceptive?  I guess I'm just not "really cool" enough to tell the difference, so I give up!  UNCLE!
                  smile

Just kidding, of course!  I love a mystery!  smile

OH, nooooooo! You didn't tell me "where to buy" here in Arkansas! That is sooo deceptive!!!
                    Flag! Flag! Flag!

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5052159_f248.jpg

2. Simone Smith profile image86

Ahaa! So the issue of what is defined as misleading was the issue? I've amended that part of the FAQ forum thread (http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/74274) to read thusly:

What’s the story with misleading Hubs?

If you see a Hub that has a misleading title (e.g. has "www.something.com" or "Facebook Login", etc), PLEASE flag it. Such Hubs do not meet site standards and we have a moderation category for it ("Deceptively Titled").

That said, we do not entirely outline all descriptions of sites and services.  Existing ones, if flagged and moderated, may be republished so long as they remove deceptive wording, titles, and tags.

I had spoken with the moderaters before about this issue, since I wasn't clear on it, and according to our rules, so long as the Hub's title, text, and tags are not deliberately misleading, the Hub is OK.  So what Jason said above is entirely accurate.

I know that most site / domain reviews, on the whole, are pretty lame, but if they're not outwardly misleading, they're OK.  We have to draw a line as to what is deceptive SOMEWHERE, or else none of us would be able to publish, seeing as we're only "certified" experts of professionals in a very limited number of areas.

20. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I think the problem stems, as the OP claims.

When people report hubs, the list of hubs moderators have to view goes up. As hubber report hub author account, it isn't separated from the hubs being reported.

Those who author such mess, the flagged profiles should be checked before hubs are moderated. If the author gets banned, then the hubs should be deleted.

There are simply too many authors on HP that are producing and/or produced junk, which doesn't fit any standard of quality, yet remain?

I guess that brings up another question- At what point does a hubber not flag the hubs, but flag author's profile? How many hubs have to be identified before flagging of a profile occurs?

I can only assume a reasonable number, such as 50% of their writing. If they have more than 50% of their hubs which are junk, then just flag the profile and write an explanation. If less, then flag the hubs themselves.

But, I don't know what HP's internal processes are about how they handle them through moderation. I would think that handling profiles flagged would be a quicker task than the moderator's hub queue of hubs that were flagged.

Just my thoughts. smile

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Cagsil.  I would add though that I think 50% is generous.  I have come across spun hubs and checked a couple and then flagged the author.  I doubt if their other output was much better, and I certainly have no desire to submit myself to reading pages and pages of spun stuff.

If their recent hubs are spun why not just delete the lot? Depends how long it's going to take to check over one million pages.

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I flag a profile if I find that 90% of the 10 or so I look at are junk.  I don't think I've ever seen an experienced hubber produce only 50%; it is either 100% or around zero.  Of course everyone can make a mistake (too many Amazon links maybe), but if they do it 9 out of 10 times, flag the profile!

Newbies get different treatment from me.  While I may flag a hub, I won't flag a profile for simple errors - they deserve a chance to learn the ropes.  On the other hand,  even 2 or 3 spun or copied hubs will get a hubber flagged, but not just 1.

Just my thoughts and reactions - certainly not HP policy I've ever seen.

21. Mutiny92 profile image64
    Mutiny92posted 12 years ago

Adding the word "review" is the way to go. IMHO, nothing has really changed. The text is still crap but if you squint your eyes REALLY REALLY hard it looks like a review.

It still doesn't address the issue of misleading. It's not just the title. The proof of misleading is in the comments.

To be fair, we are at the point where 'if you can't beat em, join em'. I certainly won't argue with the views, especially with the new HP ad program.

22. Mrvoodoo profile image59
    Mrvoodooposted 12 years ago

Awwwww, come on.  Give them a break!  They worked really hard all afternoon to come up with a semi-plausible, and semi-believable explanation as to why HP wouldn't be taking any action. Against 'these sort' of deceptive hubs.

We all know what the real reason is.  Does it really need to be said out loud?

I'm sure that the decision wasn't Jason, or Simone's to make.  And if there's money to be made from them, I might even give it a go myself. big_smile

23. sunforged profile image68
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

It seems they didnt want to openly ban them,

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/85645#post1837032

so they would have the ability to take the better performing terms and let the staff , sock puppets of staff and family members of staff reuse the technique and data from all those that were purged.

Thats not some wacky theory either ... pretty open and shut, from the looks of it!

Hows that make you feel smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)