@HP

Jump to Last Post 1-36 of 36 discussions (47 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

@HP

4 times now my browser has departed my stats page or forum page and tried going to some ad website or the other. Twice yesterday and twice today.

Look for this miscreant file floating around your website:

x m o n w e a c s r (without the spaces of course smile  )

PS The search engines apparently have never heard of this file.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60

It just happened again. Here is where it tried to go:

http://jam camslive.com /banner01-sized. html

Edit: It's a p*n site.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60

I should add that all 3 of my security programs say that I have no problems.

4. paradigmsearch profile image60

And so far this has only happened when I access HP.

5. SandyMcCollum profile image63
    SandyMcCollumposted 12 years ago

I've had that problem before, too. Are you using FF? Since I switched to Chrome it hasn't happened again, but I don't know if that's why it stopped.

paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The first incident was with FF, my computer had a Data Execution Prevention episode as a result. That’s how I discovered the file name. But now it is happening with IE as well.

I just tried chrome. It informed me that an untitled page was unresponsive when I tried to go to HP.

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

did you try typing in the number ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f2/Go_42.png/300px-Go_42.png

Are you saying that the previous pic you posted had a virus!?!neutral

1. Greek One profile image63
            Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

everything i touch ends up having a virus

2. ngureco profile image80
          ngurecoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Our friend here may have happily embraced the number 42 without realizing its mysticism is endless.

6. paradigmsearch profile image60

@everyone

Despite what my security programs say and the fact that it’s only happened at HP so far, I’m still having very nervous feelings of course. smile

I need to know if others are experiencing this. If so, then we will know that it’s just something that HP needs to fix.

Otherwise, my nervousness shall continue. I’m wondering if it’s something I picked up from a hub ad. The only other site I have visited was a huffingtonpost link here.

7. shogan profile image76
    shoganposted 12 years ago

paradigmsearch--Download and update and run Malwarebytes Antimalware Free Version.  I haven't encountered this problem here...you might have a nasty something on board.

That is one of my 3 security programs that says I am fine.

Thus my tentative conclusion that this is an HP issue. But only one other person has confirmed that. neutral

8. paradigmsearch profile image60

If HP would confirm that they are aware of a problem and fixing it, I could quit worrying about this.

If HP would confirm that they are not having a problem, I would appreciate that as well. I could then try to figure out what else I can do.

9. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Sound like some kind of malware to me.  Some of them are evil, very hard to root out.

Sounds like it to me too, but the HP silence is deafening. It won’t hurt my little feelings if they tell me that there is absolutely nothing wrong and that xmon… did not come from HP.

If xmon… did come from one of their advertising partners, that’s no big deal. HP is not the first major entity to be abused by obnoxious advertisers.

10. paradigmsearch profile image60

Well, folks. Another one showed up:

ht tp://card stock.com/result.php?Keywords=jam+camslive.com&r=bae8e094b22a726321bc4dca1ecb94043b19571b118a39060c29e24c6551f4d7b000c0a14670401667cee9096e4f1b15&Submit=Go

Maybe there are some clues here that someone can help me with, or that HP recognizes.

11. paradigmsearch profile image60

I am now downloading security program number 4. Cnet is a good resource for that for whoever doesn’t know.

I’m thinking of becoming a Luddite; I’m just sick and tired of all the complications. smile

12. paradigmsearch profile image60

I suspect that my dialup connection has really saved my *ss here, i.e.: disconnect before damage. Downloading of security 4 continues. smile

13. paradigmsearch profile image60

Another one when I first signed on:

http://the-consu mer-reporter.or g/jobs3/?fro m=1_113594

HP, do you owe me big time or am I totally wrong here?

14. paradigmsearch profile image60

So far, security software #4 says zero infections. Still scanning.

15. paradigmsearch profile image60

@HP

Do you wish for me to continue posting links?

16. paradigmsearch profile image60

Well, what with only one other person confirming, I am nonplussed.

I will check back in June; unless the problems happen when I visit another website other than HP. Then the source probability (not certainty) is not endemic to just HP.

17. paradigmsearch profile image60

Well, I could not resist.

I have been here, there, and everywhere. No problems.

We shall see if a redirect happens here again. smile

And it did:

ht tp://www.web prizegiveaways.com/single-wm-ea

AM I REALLY THE ONLY ONE HERE? It only happens when I access HP.

18. paradigmsearch profile image60

Have I been specifically targeted by a disgruntled HP member?

19. paradigmsearch profile image60

If so, kudos. Contact me. smile

20. paradigmsearch profile image60

No new surprises since last post. smile

21. paradigmsearch profile image60

Another one:

http://ww w.webprizeg iveaways.com/sin gle-wm-ea

22. paradigmsearch profile image60

HELP HP!!! Was/is it you?

23. paradigmsearch profile image60

Closed IE. Back to FF.

24. paradigmsearch profile image60

It would really help if I knew it wasn't you.

1. ezhang profile image81
      ezhangposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey paradigm,

I've tried logging off and back on my account multiple times in an attempt to replicate this issue with no success. I'll go ahead and bring this thread to the team's attention so we can monitor the situation, but as far as I know, we haven't heard more reports of this problem yet. I apologize in advance if it turns out to be an error on our end. Rest assured that we are *not* redirecting our users on purpose.

I SO know that!!! smile

If the info I have provided is irrelevant…

Well, I’ve reviewed this thread.

Just to make sure that HP understands:

I never, ever thought that HP was deliberately sending people to unrequested websites. I’m too fond of you guys to think that. smile

What has happened is that HP, I, and others have been victimized by a crooked advertising partner that HP wasn’t aware of.

Or

The HP website was the victim of a drive-by.

And most importantly, this has happened before. There have been other posts in the past where people have stated that what has happened to me has also happened to them. In other words, HP has had this problem before and has successfully fixed the problem before.

Looking for that file name I gave you early in this thread is probably the key to the solution this time around.

25. paradigmsearch profile image60

Then I give up because I thought with my heart and soul that everything and my conclusions were true.

26. paradigmsearch profile image60

A messed up phrase, but it will stand.

27. paradigmsearch profile image60

Latest one:

http://se dom.com/?xurl=http://hytr8lzz02.com/fvo4HWw l5s3yHFU99d39c144e48c91ec2f30304150e8 288a05g&xref=http://sedom.com/default.pk?tsearch=%22Why+did+the+hummingbirds+die%3F%22&rid=3a6db07bdba4 c0ebeada118bf365cdce3b321aa478a422f2546ac4c587c41408a83b53a0dddfe11679b968ef793839d4&s=Go

28. paradigmsearch profile image60

I submit that the xmon… was yours, re: your ad freaks.

29. paradigmsearch profile image60

I further submit that your non-acknowledgement of same is ok.

30. paradigmsearch profile image60

I understand. I think. Business is business.

4 security applications say I have no problem.

Plus, no problem except here. It is you. Fix it!

31. paradigmsearch profile image60

No problems, but I still don't feel secure enough to leave this window open while I go elsewhere.

32. paradigmsearch profile image60

Another hour and no problems.

Goodnight.

smile

33. paradigmsearch profile image60

Well, everywhere else I go there is no problem.

I show up at HP and am immediately sent to:

h ttp://tent trailors .com/

34. paradigmsearch profile image60

A note to fellow victims. The aforementioned file permanently messes with your browser. After everything else is cleaned up, you need to uninstall the browser and get a new one.

35. paradigmsearch profile image60
  36. profile image0
    Niveque Stormposted 12 years ago

Hey I have a Dell Computer and was infected by a virus. I cleaned it up and all my programs say I am clean but I am getting random window opens. One of them matches yours that was previously posted:

http://the-consumer-reporter.org/jobs3/?from=1_113594

If you find out what is doing this let me know.

I upgraded from firefox 3.6 to 4 and that didn't effect it. Still happening

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)