March 3, 1991: Rodney King Beating Caught on Tape -20th anniversay

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

i remember those turbulent days ;watching the riots in horror and then Rodney tried to instill some calm and control
    times flies when you get older I guess
    a sad anniversary...

2. feenix profile image57
    feenixposted 13 years ago

With all due respect, Stacy L, but Rodney King's irresponsible behavior and disregard for the law is what set "those turbulent days" into motion.

For one thing, when the LAPD officers finally caught up with him, he had led them in an 8-mile-long chase at speeds approaching 100 mph. Then when he and the three men who were riding with him were ordered to get out of the vehicle and lie on the ground, King's passengers complied and the officers did not lay a glove on either one of them. However, King refused to comply and threw the first punches; thereby, setting off the chain of events that we all saw on videotape.

Furthermore, I must say that by leading the police in an 8-mile-long car chase at speeds approaching 100 mph, King could have caused on a serious auto accident on that L.A. freeway and killed someone or a number of people, including some of my friends and family members (I am from L.A).

In my opinion, on that night, King was behaving like the thug and drug addict he was and he is not owed even one iota of mercy.

And, by the way, I am a black man who grew up in the "infamous" South-Central L.A.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60
      Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ZOMG?!?! Taking responsibility for one's actions?!!?

... anyway - I totally agree. I posted a link to Chris Rock's "How not to get your ass kicked by the police".

2. uncorrectedvision profile image60
      uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wasn't there also an incident in which the holy Rodney physically intimidated the first officer there?  He either hit or charged at a small, Hispanic woman cop - if I am remembering right.

If the prosecutor had not bent to pressures he would have sought charges of simple assault and would have gotten a conviction of the offending officers.  Instead he went for the pandering charge(no pun intended) of attempted murder.

Few people understand how really dangerous a high speed chase is for the police involved.  Let us not forget Rodney King was a criminal not a saint.

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Another thread drumming up old events and summing them up in anniversaries.

What is it with people? Too many living in the past. hmm

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree... Just leave it behind... Move on!

4. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago
  5. AnnCee profile image68
    AnnCeeposted 13 years ago

"Can't we all just get along?"

Sorry.  http://socialsymbols.com/images/myspace_emoticons/small/smiley_embarrassed.gif

1. uncorrectedvision profile image60
      uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The answer to Rodney's oft parodied question is "No." Ask Reginald Denny.

6. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 12 years ago

Mr.  feenix

Everyone is entitled to their opinion unfortunately I'm going to have to disagree with yours. The unjustified beating of a defenseless individual on his knees by the people sworn to serve and protect is not only unlawful but criminal. Not only were these officers actions violating the law but all the other officers who refuse to intervene in this brutality questions who really should be wearing that uniform?

It has been said "power corrupts" and "Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely." Now I believe in some toughness don't get me wrong I do at times feel some people might deserve some payback-(but that's just me). More often than not law enforcement agents in my opinion are finding it harder and harder to resist using that power given them. Take for example a lady in her vehicle stopped by the police and refusing to get off the phone after three or four warning the lady is tased-Where Was The Threat? Take another example: a young kid I believe around the age of 16 couldn't follow the police officer's instructions exactly as he seem to be confused with respect to what the officer wanted him to do so from my perspective the officer got tired of telling him and just he tased him.

If no one is above the law-Then Isn't It Time We Started Acting like?

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it has been and it's a lie. lol

1. SpanStar profile image60
        SpanStarposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well Cagsil it would appear we don't agree because you see power corrupting all the time.

It's not what I see that matters. That statement is simply untrue. Whether you want to agree or not, doesn't change the fact it's false.

1. SpanStar profile image60
            SpanStarposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I find the statement to be very true.

I am not surprised. However, if you're inclined...I just published my hub on the topic. lol

7. donotfear profile image83
    donotfearposted 12 years ago

I watched that video, and I must say ......It was....I was...

http://www.smileyvault.com/smiley-logo.gif

8. S Leretseh profile image61
    S Leretsehposted 12 years ago

R. King is such a colossal idiot.  He's broke today (spent his 3.8 million) and from what I've read, still a "proud" drunk.

The police officers involved in the beating should have received suspensions, not fired. And trying them twice for the same offense was also a travesty of justice (double jeopardy).

I was also appalled by the overwhelming numbers of blacks (young and old) who participated - with such enthusiasm! - in looting stores. Then there were the attacks on innocent white people...ugly!

The main ingredient in provoking the riot was the TV media. From the day after the beating all the way to the Simi Valley verdict, over and over and over the people of LA were forced to watch the beating. ABC, NBC & CBS should have paid the clean-up costs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)