Law of Attraction? Is it Science or Hocus-Pocus?

Jump to Last Post 1-41 of 41 discussions (145 posts)
  1. snagerries profile image68
    snagerriesposted 13 years ago

Is the law of attraction a reliable inference from quantum theory? Or is it wishful thinking?

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If it is science, it is psychology not physics.

snagerriesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree....

2. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"The Law of Attraction argues that thoughts (both conscious and unconscious) can affect things outside the head, not just through motivation, but by other means."

Yup, pure bunkum that once again violates physical laws. smile

1. Kimberly Bunch profile image61
        Kimberly Bunchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just love your pessimistic mind frame. I am getting use to it and actually am finding it awesome. Strange, odd, but true. Lol. I guess it has to do with my good nature.

smile

1. Beelzedad profile image58

I'm hardly pessimistic at all, I'm very optimistic.  smile

1. RachaelLefler profile image92
            RachaelLeflerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think that while the mind itself can't control anything but the body, having the right mindset and the confidence it takes is essential to success.

1. profile image0
              Uirikposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wrong! Mind does definitely affect nature in a very tiny way. We don't need QM to realise this.

3. profile image52
      IrishKathleenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It works and why has it to be slotted into science or whatever.

I believe that it is allowing yourself to accept good into your life and letting it happen. I know that if I focus on doom and gloom, well thats what I get but if I see life as being great, well that turns up. Its like thinking of the colour blue and then you see it everywhere.

4. cheaptrick profile image75
      cheaptrickposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The law of attraction has never been scientifically validated.It cant be stated as a law.A theory,a possibility,or wishful thinking yes,but not a law.The problem is the amount of positive thinking we do is just a veneer covering the mountain of negativity we unknowingly accumulate through out our life time.When we 100% believe something it sublimates it's self in the unconscious and we are unaware of it.It simply happens out of the blue...the epiphany is a good example.

1. profile image50
        paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is true

2. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

That which we think about, we create. So if our thoughts are negative, so will be that which we create from it. If they are positive, we create more positive things.

Attraction is by-product, from my experience. It's not the premise, but rather the result of the state of one's mind and actions.

The law of attraction as presented by pop spiritualists and psychologists is pretty shallow stuff. It's as effective a multi-level marketing. A few know how to work it for while till the pyramid collapses. The rest never really catch on.

Thats a very thought driven answer..

3. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

It is physiology

You can say that and as Daniel mentioned, it is a state of one's mind and actions.

4. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

It is based more on chemical reactions in our body than conscious thought.

I never knew that it is based on chemical reactions... Thanks for sharing your knowledge smile

1. profile image61
        logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

oxytocin exuded by the female causes a chemical reaction in the male.

5. raisingme profile image76
    raisingmeposted 13 years ago

One's state of mind might work in the law of attraction if we were comprised of a mind only however, we are more than a mind. The mind makes up only one part of the whole of who we are.

1. ceciliabeltran profile image63
      ceciliabeltranposted 12 years agoin reply to this

au contraire, it is all mind, emotion is mind.

6. kess profile image60
    kessposted 13 years ago

it is the common sence of life and death.

The powers that governs the psuedo-intellectuals have called it science (no matter which branch you think it relates) seeking to keep it for them selves and others in bondage...

If one will stop and consider, "Science" so called- should never belong to an elite class as we see in this present time.

But it exist to complicate the simplicity of life while cuasing men to err to pursue itself as the substitute instead of true life.

nevertheles they are ignorant of this a lie cannot exist except Truth be with it.

So whereever their lies are spoken Truth is also right there i  the midst so those of life will Know. for they operate by their Con-Science (with knowledge)

An education at most accredited learning institutions will release you from that bondage.

Science can belong to anyone who wishes to have it.

Everyone is free to toss their computers in the garbage, disconnect their internet connections and live in a cave, if the "simplicity of life" is what they seek. Science brought those things for you, and you use them all the time.

Why do you then use everything science has provided for you and then complain about it? Actions speak louder than words. smile

2. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you don't value science, it should not matter if TLOA has a scientific basis or not.

7. raisingme profile image76
    raisingmeposted 13 years ago

Alright people what did we do to attract that answer??? hmm

8. andromida profile image55
    andromidaposted 13 years ago

Law of attraction is definitely not any established science. Many psychologists claim that our thoughts have effects on matter to a certain degree.If you understand noetic science and tesla electromagnetic, you might find a relation between LOA and science.

1. cheaptrick profile image75
      cheaptrickposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How about writing a hub on noetics?I've just bumped into it and it's fascinating.I just"No"it would be a winner:)

1. profile image50
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Noetic theory or noëtics, from the Greek philosophical terms noētikos (mental) from noein (to perceive with the mind) and nous (mind, understanding, intellect), is an alternative metaphysical "philosophy" concerned with the study of mind and intuition, and its relationship with a proposed divine intellect. Among its principal purposes are the study of the effects of perceptions, beliefs, and intentions on human consciousness.[1].
        The theory of noetics centers around the idea that the human mind is capable of affecting work or events or even doing work in the physical world. It is suggested that thought and spirit are not, in fact, imaginary, but are Bose or photon based,[2] meaning essentially that the mind can be quantified by formulae which describe quantum materials such as light. This is a radical conclusion, as many people consider thoughts to be weightless. Noetic theory claims that just as gravity affects all matter, thoughts do as well, although to a lesser degree[citation needed]. Psychokinesis, more often called telekinesis, is concerned with the direct influence of mind on matter.
        Noetic science in the above described sense formed a motif of the bestselling novel The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noetic_theory

1. cheaptrick profile image75
          cheaptrickposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well...cancel that request for a hub cause here it is!Thanks for expanding my rather limited sphere of knowledge.I will give much Waite to the gravity of your explanation and just"No"I'll be a better man for it.[Ya didn't hafta use such big words ta put me in my place tho]smile

1. profile image50

I did not know of noetics earlier; so I checked it with wikipedia the popular research resource

9. Elpaso profile image60
    Elpasoposted 13 years ago

Physical Attraction is strongest when people of two compatible birth signs come into close proximity to each other. Most people call it love at first sight, or animal attraction. I've seen the truth of it over the years. I won't call it a science but I know there's something to that corny one liner "What is your sign". I can say I'm qualified to make that statement because of the number of "Sample Data" I've had over the years.

10. 7thangel@seventh profile image60
    7thangel@seventhposted 13 years ago

Aaaah! Yes the so called kept "SECRET" that was never ever a "SECRET", but the WAY, the TRUTH, and the LIFE! Matthew 13:35

11. snagerries profile image68
    snagerriesposted 13 years ago

First and foremost, contrary to what most of us have been led to believe, finding love does not make us happy.   There is no such thing as “finding” love.  We are love and love exists within us effortlessly.  The only love that truly brings us happiness is not found “out there” in another human.  That love exists right inside of us.  This important key is unfortunately what keeps us from truly finding that special person to share our lives with.

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well said! I agree with you. Self love is where love begins. smile

12. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

the law of attraction is nothing new. we believe what we believe.
    I don't think it's too complicated to figure out someone who is in a negative mind set is going to see his world that way.
    someone who sees life through a more positive light will see it differently. we are complex beings, how we think and live affects what we bring into our life.

I agree.

Yaa its not too complicated...

13. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

Hope it is hocus-pocus. Wouldn't want to be a machine.

1. profile image50
  14. profile image50
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

There is no such Law in the science.

15. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

It isn't science or hocus pocus. I think it's just another way to market the  concept of the power of positive thinking. The first time I heard of the law was on an infomercial telling you it could be used for financial gain. I never heard it used as a way to find love, but I'm not surprised. Sounds very marketable, but probably about as effective as a love potion; but I'm sure there are people who will throw money at it.

1. Richawriter profile image86
      Richawriterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are a lot of negative answers here but the truth is, there is something more to this exsistence and we can attract things with our thoughts. Anyone who disagrees is calling Buddha, Jesus, Edison, Napoleon Hill, Andrew Carnegie, and many many more people who were successful a bunch of liars and fakes. Why on earth would those people who have done great things for the human race and become rich in money, wisdom etc lie to us like that? They wouldn't! It is true.

Yes, there are those who market this concept of The law of attraction for their own greedy benefit but then there were those who made nothing from it, yet still spoke and wrote about it with a passion.

We can't talk about the laws of nature because we really don't know. Did the laws of nature create this universe from nothing? Doesn't that defy the laws of nature? You can't make sense of it, just accept it and enjoy it!  smile

Peace

1. profile image50

Why accept a wrong notion?
        One could enjoy otherwise.

2. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm with paar on this one. To 'accept' something like this as being possible to bring you love, fame or fortune does a disservice to society. I find it offensive that people would use it to bilk money out of people.

As far as the teachings of enlightened ones is concerned, I'd need some proof that this is what they were talking about. Anyway, maybe it is simply that you and I are not seeing it from the same angle. Anything used simply to produce inner peace is good. Outer gain is wishful thinking.

1. profile image50

Thanks

1. profile image0

smile

Yes Just_curious, you are right. The truth is we ARE looking at it from different angles and therefore we can't agree as long as the angles remain the same. My upbringing and experiences differ from yours and vice versa, you are not wrong, and neither am I. 

However, what do you think of this? The Universe was apparently created from the big bang, before which, there was nothing, just emptiness, however even that is open to debate seeing as it's a theory. In the same vein, pieces of this stuff attracted more pieces and incredibly, impossibly created life, from nothing. In fact, a whole host of life-forms were created.

How did we just come from nothing? There is clearly more to this existence than meets the eye. There is no denying that there is some kind of attractive force that molded all this "space debris" together. The question is what is this force? Religious literature is filled with references to a great force, godlike and supreme that created all things.

There is just too much evidence to say otherwise, I'm sorry but the evidence is HERE. Physical bodies as complex as these and all the others just by chance "appeared" and began existing? Before anything begins, there is always a plan, a force which creates, whether it be something as simple as a person planning his day, or This Force growing trees and life on this planet.

The same Monks that say love and peace is within us all regardless of our circumstances also say that should you desire something, you only need think upon it (pray) and believe it, and you shall receive it.

The reason I'm so persistent is that I have used and still use this attractive force in my everyday life. Although, still working 5 days a week and quite new to the idea, I have attracted work, money, people and small objects into my life through disciplined and focused practice. It isn't easy, coming from a race mentality that values status, standing, appearance, money etc more than love of both ourselves and each other.

In order to use The Law of attraction, you should first change inwardly. It is difficult, but it can be done with discipline.

It works.

1. profile image0

Although I admit to be attracted to your theory, I don't see myself agreeing with it being possible. Good luck though. If it is something you believe in, I'm sure you will continue to see evidence of success with it. smile

Well yes, we can deny that argument on the grounds that there is no evidence whatsoever to establish it as an argument or explanation.

Okay, where is the evidence, exactly?

No, they just didn't begin existing, there were a number of processes involved along with a whole lot of time for the processes to undergo those beginnings.

Yet, there is no evidence of such a plan in regards to the universe coming into existence.

The law of attraction is pure nonsense. It violates the laws of physics and nature. It has no evidence whatsoever to support it and is simply an irrational belief. smile

3. profile image50

Even if both of you see things in different angles; yet both of you may not be equi-distant from the Truth. Who is more near to the absolute Truth among you? That is to be seen.

It doesn't matter who is closest to the truth. All that matters is that the egotistical maniac, Beelzedad has a compulsion to make others wrong. Good for him. 

Each to their own, no matter how insecure and ignorant that may make them seem.smile

How ironic that your profile pic is of Einstein, seeing that you have absolutely no capacity to be imaginative!

Do you feel better now? Got it all out of your system, yet? Or, will you be tossing more ad homs my way? lol

3. Beelzedad profile image58

Actually, we do know abut the laws of nature and the fact that they are tantamount to how our universe came into existence, which did not or does not violate those very same laws. Yes, we can make sense of it.

But, what does violate the laws of nature are nonsensical notions like gods and laws of attraction, ghosts and goblins and things that go bump in the night. smile

Fair enough guys. You staunchly stand by your views as I do mine.

However, in response to Beelzedad, I don't appreciate your referring to what I believe in as "irrational" and I think you are being downright rude.

People can believe in whatever they want, like the millions upon millions that believe there is one god that created all and a bunch of rules to govern us. Like those that believe that what you see is what you get and that existence is nothing more than living out your life, dying and that's it!
          Or those that say science and mathematics are the way to explain existence.

That is the beauty of life, there are no limits to what you can believe, except the ones you create. What I believe in has neither been proven nor dis-proven and that makes my exploration of it all the more fun, just as many in the past were laughed at and ridiculed for believing in something, before proving everyone wrong.

I have some questions for you though Beelzedad.

You say there is no evidence to support my argument. All my evidence is abstract and circumstantial, I agree. However, can you explain any of what you just said?

Can you give reasons as to why your belief is more exact than mine?

So those "logical" processes you speak of in regards to the creation of the universe include creating matter from "nothing" right? Explain please because you seem very certain about what you think you know.

Before all of the processes that created life, what was there? What created those processes? Did THEY appear and just happen to have the exact ingredients to create life with processes that were lying around in the nothingness? Explain please because I feel I could be really enlightened by what you have to say.

We can make sense of it can we? Go ahead then. Explain how nothing becomes something.

Show me the evidence of your beliefs.

I won't leave a smug smiley face at the bottom of this page either.

Pointing out your irrational beliefs is not rude unless you feel those beliefs are your arms and legs. They are just beliefs and are either rational or irrational.

To live your life based on irrational beliefs is your prerogative and you are free to do so. Why would you wish to do so is your own decision to make, but that doesn't preclude the fact the beliefs are irrational.

Yes, the law of attraction has been shown to be pure bunkum and those who embrace it will most likely be laughed at and ridiculed. You are free to be one of them.

Unlike yourself, I have an understanding hence I don't require beliefs as you do.

There is a great deal to write about trying to explain all that to you. However, there are a number of books you might wish to read on those subjects.

Again, you are free to do the research into those questions as it would take a ridiculous amount of writing on my part.

smile

What you just said barely made any sense at all. I shouldn't even bother replying as you will probably come back with something even more laughable like "Pointing out your irrational beliefs is not rude unless you feel those beliefs are your arms and legs."

Utter claptrap. From someone with an understanding? Interesting.

Clearly, your only purpose in this discussion was to put others down because by speaking the way you are, you are essentially putting down millions of people who are in search of hope, and therefore turn to their gods and their beliefs for answers.

You are bang out of order.

You are saying that those who pray to their gods while living in poverty are deluded and have no understanding like you? I see how lofty you place yourself up there, try coming down off your high horse some time to join the millions of others not privileged enough to have learned as you "say" you have.

You say you have an understanding, yet you haven't explained a thing and I suspect if you even attempted to, your next post would not be shown here for another day or so due to the amount of time you spent searching Google and the library desperate to prove yourself right.

You merely spouted words tinged with negativity and a mocking superiority complex which equals: A Chip on the Shoulder.

You haven't graced any of your posts with an inkling of knowledge or facts to support both your claim that The Law of Attraction is "Bunkum" or that you have a so called "understanding."

You are welcome to your opinions, just don't go throwing tosh like that around freely because I have a feeling were you to do it anyplace other than an internet forum where you remain unseen, you might get much more than you bargained for.

I shall continue to be a believer no matter what is said by any other soul.

"All that we are, is the result of what we have thought."- Buddha

"Whatsoever things ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them."-Mark 11:24

Great men who dedicated their entire lives to this concept. They are enough evidence for me to believe. Do some reading Beelzadad and you might be surprised by what you find.

This will be my last post here on this thread. Thanks for the debate. I enjoyed it. smile

Yes, I'm sure you'll continue to believe in irrational ideals based on the fact others did too, even though that is just ad populum fallacy. You are free to do so. No one is going to stop you from believing in nonsense, that is your prerogative.

Yes, I have read about things, but clearly you have not. If you did, you too would understand that the law of attraction violates physical laws and there is no evidence whatsoever for it's existence.

The questions you posed would demand I spend hours upon hours typing out responses to you when all of the information to answer those questions is readily available.

And, you'll also find that information explaining the law of attraction is nowhere to be found, yet you believe in it. smile

I pity you and your narrow-mindedness Beelzedad, you clearly haven't read "things" and what the hell does "things" mean anyway? Does it mean a sign on the wall, a magazine, a receipt? We have all read "things" my friend and that certainly doesn't constitute being intelligent or knowledgeable as you claim to be.

I'll give you a taste of what I have read and show you why I don't just believe in it because others do too.

Lynne Mctaggart wrote a book called "The Field" in which she went on a quest to find out whether the "field" which incidentally is called the "god field" by Stephen Hawkings, can be affected by thought.

What she discovered through experimentation and interviewing a number of scientists was that thoughts do indeed affect not just this field, but also water.

READ ABOUT IT!

Firstly, in regards to water, a scientist named Masaru Emoto found that when water was exposed to thoughts or words on a daily basis, the water actually changed composition. When exposed to good thoughts, beautifully shaped ice-crystals formed, but when exposed to negative thoughts the water deteriorated and became cloudy. This clearly shows that thoughts have an effect on water. READ it and see for yourself, however, I'm sure that being the cynic you are, you'll find something to pick at! smile

That is evidence. Not blind belief as you continue to accuse me of. I studied Psychology at University, and you? I have studied the sciences and I know quantum physics, physics and all the other sciences. So what, that doesn't mean I'm going to prance about as you do, saying "I've studied this and I've read "things" therefore I'm qualified to doubt you and piss on your beliefs.

Stop making excuses and show me some of this knowledge you have. I'd love to sit in a room with you and debate on this. smile

I think it would be pretty short.

You blabber on in your negative, judgmental, narrow minded way about what you THINK you know, yet you continue to put forward no evidence to support your claim.

I accept that people have a right to give opinions and views, however, in order to back up their claims, evidence should be presented. Have you presented a shred? no, a scrap? no, a mere negative, crass, childish opinion from a faceless unknown person on the internet? YES!

There are random number generators which have been running since 2005 in the most populated places in the world. These generators measure the effect of combined human consciousness and they HAVE found that human consciousness does indeed have an effect on the machines. Whenever an significantly large event occurs, the random number generators begin to show a similar pattern. They show a pattern of non-random activity which was previously not there. How do you explain that Beelzedad? Oh sorry, I forgot. You don't explain do you, you just spout words that have no real purpose, other than to to be heard or read. Oh, this is just "ad populum fallacy" too isn't it? Gimme some evidence man, you are boring me. smile

When you break matter down to it's smallest form you find that it isn't even a form, at least not as most people believe. Quanta, which can be revealed by peeling back every layer of an atom is pure energy, nothing more. From that, we can see that not just living things, but all things are made of this energy. Everything is made of the same stuff! Incredible isn't it!? What about the mind then? Are you telling me that the mind which is an abstract "thing" (your favorite word:)) is made of that same stuff too? Is the mind composed of the meat or collection of quanta packets which is  our brain? Give me some evidence? The mind is clearly something else, but what is it? I propose that the mind is "god" and is responsible for the creation of everything we see around us. We are all a part of this mind, this energy field. Perhaps it is a field of pure consciousness and if not, then please explain as you aren't making any sense at all with your blabbing.smile

Einstein stated "As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."

Take note. smile

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

The unknown Stephen Hawkings said:

"The usual approach of science of constructing a mathematical model cannot answer the questions of why there should be a universe for the model to describe. Why does the universe go to all the bother of existing?"

These people are talking nonsense, surely. Right beelzedad?

You seem to have an answer for everything but when one looks closely at your answers, he finds that your answers have no foundation, they hold no water because they are filled with holes.

You question anything which isn't "science" but I get the feeling you actually know nothing of science and are using that as justification for your poor view of the universe. smile

The evidence IS and always has been here, in science, religion, philosophy and the endless miracles we are surrounded by.

You DO believe that there is more to this world for if you didn't, you wouldn't deny my beliefs so vehemently. The question is, just what are your beliefs? Do you believe that mathematics and physics is responsible for all existence? 

No matter what you answer, if you don't explain, it means nothing. It is simply your small mind versus the millions upon millions who believe in God.

You believe in nothing and you seem to only want to judge others.

That's ok, if you want to spend your life in that limited way, with no imagination, no hope and beliefs then that is fine my friend.

I shall await your next page of meaningless babble.

smile

They are called books, if you really must know.

I've read a lot about how our world works and understand why the law of attraction is pure bunkum.

LOL! Lynn Mctaggart runs a website called, What Doctors Don’t Tell You which essentially drives a wedge between patients with serious or chronic illnesses and medical professionals only to direct them to the ill-informed, the delusional and the unscrupulous. She is not a doctor, she is only a journalist and writer.

She is a well known despicable charlatan who is only interested in bilking the gullible of their money. She sells dubious vitamin pills to cancer patients telling them they have hope of recovery. She is on the verge of running an illegal site according to the Cancer Act of 1939,

"No person shall take any part in the publication of any advertisement containing an offer to treat any person for cancer, or to prescribe any remedy therefor, or to give any advice in connection with the treatment thereof"

Lynn McTaggart should be doing some serious jail time.

Emoto is yet another charlatan bilking the gullible. He refused to share any of his findings that would allow scientists (Emoto is not a scientist) to experiment and is known for designing his findings in that leave them open for influence and error. He places more stress on his photographers making sure they take the best pictures as opposed to the actual work being done.

No, it isn't. It's snakeoil.

Now, I know your fabricating nonsense. Had you studied physics, you would know very well why the law of attraction is bunkum and why McTaggart and Emoto are both charlatans.

Really? And, where is your evidence for the law of attraction? Where is your evidence that McTaggart's vitamins work on cancer patients? Where is your evidence that Emoto's work is science?

You have presented nothing, yourself.

Pure nonsense, of course. There is no evidence whatsoever from the Global Consciousness Project. It actually began in 1998 and although the results have peaks and valleys, as any such experiment would show, none of the peaks and valleys align with any significant events.

LOL! Hilarious. Yes, I'm sure you believe in that nonsense.

Actually, it is you who is talking nonsense. Providing those quotes only shows you have no argument and must resort to creating strawmen.

And yet, you have not provided a shred of evidence for the law of attraction, or endless miracles, or religion, or anything else for that matter.

Once again, your lack of any formal education is showing again, in that one needs not believe what they understand, hence also the reason why you need to believe in nonsense.

Appeal to authority fallacy.

By the same measure, you appear to understand nothing. smile

16. Alastar Packer profile image70
    Alastar Packerposted 13 years ago

Hello Beel, this is a serious question, am hoping there's an answer to it. Why does it happen that when a person stares intently say, at the back of the head of another(especially women) almost without fail that person quickly begins to feel stared at and turns around? The number of people over the years who've remarked on this to me is astounding! Any help on solving this perplexing question would be appreciated.

What may seem extraordinary is not at all. I would suspect that the times people turned around specifically because they "felt" a set of eyes staring at the back of their heads is infinitesimally small and is more likely pure coincidence.

It is an experiment anyone can try. However, we need not even conduct such an experiment as we well know ourselves the time we spend observing other people and how often they have turned around and looked directly at you because they "felt" you were staring at them. We can also know for ourselves the times we are out in public and "feel" others staring at the back of our heads.

But, like all possibilities and all probabilities, yes, there are going to be instances where someone will indeed think they are being stared at and will turn to see someone staring at them.

But, is this some sort of magical force or is it just the probability that people observe other people all the time and we sometimes catch them doing it when they observe us? smile

1. Druid Dude profile image61
        Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

why oh why is this forum here? In science (we are talking about science here, aren't we?) there is the attracting force, and the repelling force. This is demostrated rather well with a magnet. Unlike poles attract, like poles attract. Without attracting force, atoms would not be cohesive.

excuse me. like poles repel.

Magical beliefs? That's even worse. Are you high or what? Are you Charlie Sheen? Duh! Winning!

I'll bet you think water doesn't evaporate.

Well done, you've provided a thirty thousand foot view of magnets. smile

17. knolyourself profile image61

"Why does it happen that when a person stares intently say, at the back of the head of another(especially women)"
    I can make people especially women feel me. It's feeling not intellect.

1. profile image50

Most often it does happen; may be it is a perception only.

18. knolyourself profile image61

Hitchhiking. How does someone know which ride is the bad guy? Don't go there.
    Intuition. If you don't have intuition, you got trouble.

Unfortunately, intuition did not work for the victims of Ed Gein, Jeffery Dahmer and those of the same ilk. smile

19. knolyourself profile image61

"I'll bet you think water doesn't evaporate." Do you make sense when you talk to yourself?

20. profile image0
    EarleRamageposted 13 years ago

Law of attraction; I don't know is it fact or fiction? I would like to know myself. For year I been apply the principles I been taught regarding law of attraction to gain a few buck in my pocket I keep getting nothing but more debts. Yet at other times things seem to flow when I ask or need it. Confusing eh. I wish it would work better for me regarding love and money.

Coincidentally, well though out financial investment planning produces much more consistent results. smile

21. knolyourself profile image61

"You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes well you just might find
    You get what you need
    "I wish it would work better for me regarding love and money." The law of attraction would not necessarily apply to the intellect. If money is not in your destiny, or it is not who you truly are, it may be an objective of mind, and may be futile.

22. knolyourself profile image61

"Unfortunately, intuition did not work for the victims of Ed Gein, Jeffery Dahmer and those of the same ilk." Got that right. Apparently they were scientists. Ask a prostitute if she believes in intuition.

Sorry, but I don't talk with prostitutes, at least no one who has ever claimed to be one.

Perhaps, what you may be referring to are the patterns prostitutes learn from their engagements with "johns"? smile

23. knolyourself profile image61

"Sorry, but I don't talk with prostitutes". Would seem to me: if you would consider yourself an expert on these matters, you should get out more.

With prostitutes? http://serve.mysmiley.net/confused/confused0009.gif

You are speaking in terms inconsitant with science. You are referring to something on a spiritual order. In your view the law of attraction means something different to someone tied to the material plane.

Not you Dad, canoliyourself.

24. Alastar Packer profile image70

Excellent reply Beel, thank you.

in spiritual terms, the law of attraction only works in a positive manner only if you are in full knowledge of that which constitutes the Great Attractor. It is only through this source that the law of attraction has any real power. You can think positively all you want, but if you are surrounded by negative forces, it will be to no gain for you.

My pleasure. It reminded me of a commercial I saw while watching a hockey game, in which the advertised product was a Turkey burger and they had "Miss Turkey" walking down a pier in a bikini. Absolutely stunning!

I wonder if she suspected there were eyes staring at the back of her head? lol

25. knolyourself profile image61

"With prostitutes?" Referring more specifically to being a prostitute which of course would not expect you to be. But if you were one and knowing a wrong decision could cost one's life, one might learn for oneself
    if their might be something like intuition.
    Otherwise its abstraction.

I'm sure your theory warrants merit.

However, I would suspect that each and every time a prostitute's decision to get into a vehicle with a john may very well be a bad decision, and there is little they can do once the decision has been made. The probability of getting into a vehicle with a serial killer who will chop up the prostitute into little pieces is proportional to the times 'intuition' will save their life.

We can therefore see how this proportional equivalence of relying on intuition will shrink to infinity with the increased number of prostitutes a single serial killer can victimize. smile

26. Alastar Packer profile image70

Perhaps intuition is connecting to the sub-conscious in some way?

BINGO! Give the man a cigar!

27. knolyourself profile image61

"Perhaps intuition is connecting to the sub-conscious in some way?"
    The way to find out if it is real is to have to use it. Definitely not of the conscious mind or we would never make mistakes. Can be psychological. Can be spiritual.

28. Hotplate profile image61
    Hotplateposted 13 years ago

I say if it's wet and warm it's gonna get wild!

29. knolyourself profile image61

"BINGO! Give the man a cigar!"
    Should not your alias be Druid Rude. That's a rhetorical question.

30. Alastar Packer profile image70

Beel, since you made that last comment about "Miss Turkey" and"I wonder if she feels stared at...", I have tried numerous times over the years the "experiment" of staring at women to see if they respond. They absolutely do  8 or 9 times out of 10, and even when amongst many others they zero right in on me. No, it is not a faulty perception on my part, the percentages are accurate. From your position you gave a good reply but then you go on to ridicule with the "Miss Turkey"  anecdote. I'm hurt Beel.

The point I was trying to make about Miss Turkey is the fact that some, if not many people go out of their way to be observed, they want others to stare at them and they are fully aware of who is staring at them as they observe themselves.

Sorry your hurt, wasn't my intention. wink

31. Alastar Packer profile image70

Thanks Beel, feel better now that its clear. Do not want to get in between any reply from Richawriter or anyone else to the above which should be most interesting; and don't know about Mctaggart, but it did bring to mind the pseudo-doctor from the last century who made a fortune selling virility and pep by sewing goat testicles into scrotum's. This went on for decades. Most implant-es came to regret it.

32. Beelzedad profile image58
    Beelzedadposted 13 years ago

Here, allow me to get you started. I couldn't find much so had to resort to wiki - do you agree with this definition?

The Law of Attraction is a metaphysical New Thought belief that "like attracts like”, that positive and negative thinking bring about positive and negative physical results, respectively. According to the Law of Attraction, the phrase "I need more money" allows the subject to continue to "need more money". If the subject wants to change this they would focus their thoughts on the goal (having more money) rather than the problem (needing more money). This might take the form of phrases such as "I will make more money" or "I will find a job that pays very well".

Yes, but as you have already said, there is no substantial evidence to prove that The Law of Attraction actually works, therefore why are you setting this bait?

It is more than just thinking or repeating affirmations. The feeling attached to the affirmation is extremely important, should one go about simply repeating prepared phrases with no feeling, he or she would surely fail.

The formula is desire+emotion+faith=successful attraction of the thing desired.

You said you achieved results and that it was your evidence. Here's what wiki says, and I would agree:

the evidence provided is usually anecdotal and that, because of the self-selecting nature of the positive reports, as well as the subjective nature of any results, these reports are susceptible to confirmation bias and selection bias.

Fair enough, what is the "feeling" you refer, exactly?

That's a pretty vague formula. What do mean by "emotion"?

Hey Beelzedad, sorry, i was caught up in the Thailand Songkran festival for a week or so but that's all done with now. 

However, I'm going to focus more on getting hubs up for the time being as I have really been slacking off.

I enjoyed the debate and I hope to continue it at a later date, possibly in a few weeks. 

Until then. Peace.

Very cool. Hope you write a Hub about it.

Cheers! smile

Richawriterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good idea! I may just do that Beelzedad.

Peace

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image61
        Jesus was a hippyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you guys talking about attraction to the opposite (or same) sex or attraction to material objects and posessions?

33. Alastar Packer profile image70

Hi Jesus, read Beelzedad's wiki post above for a strict definition of"The Law of Attraction". Threads sometimes veer a little off center but still remain somewhat within the parameters of the subject.You could say for example if you thought, felt, and believed in the phrase "I'm going to get a date with that person" as opposed to just thinking over and over "I'd like to have a date with that person". The former would fall under the theory. This is not a great explanation but I hope it helps.

34. Jefacity profile image58
    Jefacityposted 13 years ago

Pretty cool idea - if we ask the universe we shall receive.

35. profile image50
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

I think there is no such law; neither in the science nor in the religion. It is just superstition.

Yes, but aren't you just guessing without having a shred of understanding one way or the other?

1. Jefacity profile image58
        Jefacityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

can you prove it one way or another

The burden of proof is on those who make the claims. They would need to not only show exactly how it works, but also how it manages to not violate other physical laws. smile

Jefacityposted 12 years agoin reply to this
              Beelzedadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, I did check out the comments on Byrne's book, but it would appear that you did not. Unfortunately, you may not like what you read. smile

"Byrne's book is problematic on many levels. On it's face, it's a manipulative marketing tool meant to flatter, confuse and deceive. It's also pseudoscience at its best, the last thing we need to encourage in an increasingly technological world which requires healthy skepticism and critical thought. Most damaging, though, is how the book perverts reality by encouraging people to equate a positive outlook on life with a childish, idiotic narcissism. Ayn Rand must be rolling in her grave hearing about the modern manifestation of her objectivist movement reduced to the intellectual equivalent of canned pork. "

haha yea i did. i thought it was hilarious. it reminded me of you

Ah, so you didn't put up the review to support your argument, you put it up to insult me personally. Terrible behavior. smile

personally offended? no attack was intended, but if you took it that way that's your problem. it's more of a jest @ the beliefs of the collective hive mind.

2. Jefacity profile image58

here's a well documented phenomena, the placebo effect. So a person just attracts good health by thinking of it?

I suspect you don't know the placebo effect.

that didn't answer my question. If you something to add to our understanding and implications of the placebo effect, enlighten me.

What does that have to do with anything?

ok the placebo effect. A pill containing no medicine is given to people who believe they are getting medicine. In clinical trials many placebos have been shown to be as effective as the actual medicine.

So what is going on here? Does a persons belief about health directly affect their actual health? Is a non-material object(thoughts) directly affecting physical reality?? There's a lot of implications that can be made.

36. sabrebIade profile image80
    sabrebIadeposted 13 years ago

If it were science, you could give me a technique that would produce the desired affect and everyone could do it, getting the same effect.
    I have yet to see a LOA technique that works 100% of the time.
    Or 90%...
    Or 80%...

1. profile image50

A good question

37. sabrebIade profile image80
    sabrebIadeposted 12 years ago

I think Beelzedad and cheaptrick pretty much summed up the whole argument.
    To be a "law", it has to be 100% effective.
    As in "The Law of Gravity".
    It can be a theory (I think).
    I've been studying this since about 2000 and still haven't found anything with a 100% success rate.
    If I do, I will gladly share it with everyone for free.

38. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 12 years ago

The Law of Attraction works as does magnetic force.  Positive forces repel each other, as do negative forces.  The positive attracts the negative and vice versa, however, if the negative isn't strong enough it wont attract the positive it needs to make a connection, or to strike a balance.  If the positive is too strong it'll attract everything negative.  (think of it in terms of size difference between magnets)

The Law of Attraction is best understood as "Opposites Attract"  - but keeping the opposites in balance is the key.

btw - I believe the Law of Attraction to be of science, and material objects, thoughts, and sexual attraction.  Someone mentioned religion or hocus pocus, not really sure what they meant, but I'm sure it could apply in terms of + or - beliefs.

Magnetic forces can be observed and measured, they have real effects on the world. What effects does the law of attraction exhibit? What characteristics and properties?

No, it isn't science by any stretch of the imagination. Sorry. smile

1. Rafini profile image82
        Rafiniposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Law of Attraction is exemplified through Magnetic Force.  If that isn't science, then what is it??

Sorry, but the law of attraction has absolutely nothing to do with the magnetic force. They are completely different. One is science and the other is pure bunkum. smile

Riiigghhtt....Because the positive end of a magnet NEVER attracts the negative end of another magnet, therefore it has NOTHING to do with Attraction!  Come on!  Really? 

Perhaps you didn't know...is that possible?  Philosophy and Science go hand in hand, but how can that be??  Science is obviously science, but how is Philosophy a science?  Because one means the Love of Wisdom while the other means knowledge.  I'll leave it to you to determine the difference that means something to You Alone.

So...Magnetic Force or the Law of Attraction...what do they really mean?

The positive end of a magnet does NOT attract the positive end of another magnet, and neither of these has anything to do with the bogus law of attraction. They are completely different. We as humans are not magnets.

No, they don't.

Philosophy isn't a science, where would you get that notion?

39. sabrebIade profile image80
    sabrebIadeposted 12 years ago

This is my problem with the LOA as it's commonly used....
    "Non-uniform magnetic field causes like poles to repel and opposites to attract" is the law, as I understand it.
    So if like repels like, wouldn't thinking good thoughts repel good results?
    And thinking negative attract positive results?
    Or am I totally misunderstanding magnetic laws?
    Is there a "like poles attract like poles" law I have missed?

Well, if you think about it....the positive end of a magnet attracts the negative end of another, right?  However, the positive end that is connected to the negative end has no choice but to tag along.  I think of it in terms of the theme song from "The Facts of Life" tv show.

"You take the good, you take the bad, you take 'em both and there you have the facts of life, the facts of life...."

Balance.

2. El Hombre profile image55
      El Hombreposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi, I just wanted to tell you that you make a really good point, one in which I had never considered but is highly plausible. Thanks.

40. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

God am I attracted to this woman half my age. She is all I think of other than my intellectual problematics.

41. profile image50
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

There is no such law; neither in science nor in the truthful religion.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)