You can't play Football with a Hijab

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (48 posts)
  1. secularist10 profile image60
    secularist10posted 12 years ago

The Iranian women's football/ soccer team has been forced to forfeit a qualifying match by FIFA. The reason? They were wearing hijabs, covering the hair and neck, which is banned by the organization.

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news;_yl … n-hijabrow

More coverage--see the picture here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/blog/f … =oly-wp280

It is odd that so many Muslim women seem to think they can participate in modern life as modern women, whilst weighed down by baggage that was created specifically BY and FOR a time when women could not have these freedoms.

Religious traditions that were created by backward people in backward times and places simply cannot last in the modern world. You just can't fit a round peg in a square hole.

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I don't know what to think of this. I have an aversion to the hijab, but I sympathize with those girls on this one. The rules of soccer prohibit hand contact and I can't imagine how the extra clothing would be a danger to the player; so, I'm not at all sure why safety regulations would need to prohibit the extra clothing.

I don't play soccer, so maybe there's something I'm missing on this, but as it stands it looks like bureaucratic bs to me.

1. Evolution Guy profile image57
      Evolution Guyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes there is something you are missing. Any one who plays a contact sport with a loose scarf tied around their neck is insane and asking to break their neck. Plus - it is dangerous to the opposing players.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, I don't see loose scarves in the photo. How could their necks get broken? How is a scarf a danger to other players? I thought this was not a full contact sport. I'm sitting here running a soccer game through my head and, I don't see hands grabbing other players or an obstacle course with hooks. What could a scarf like the ones they are wearing become entangled in?

It is possible that the round peg in the square hole statement nudged me into support of the girls. Different should be accommodated, when possible.

So - you admit you have never played football and are now arguing your case. Yes - the scarf could get caught on some one as they ran past you or tackled you. Don't you think?

It was not banned for religious reasons. It is part of the rules of the game. This is soccer if you have never seen it:

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2006/07/05/wc05_tackle2_gallery__470x349.jpg

1. profile image0

Not the best picture in support of your argument, but I will bow to your opinion on this one. It isn't difficult to imagine that you might have seen a few more soccer games than I have.

No - two men running full speed and blocking each other like that is probably not the best picture. lol Not mush chance of  a scarf getting grabbed accidentally at all. lol

Yes - it is a contact sport. Head gear such as scarves and this ridiculous religion thing along with neck wear like chains and other jewelry are also banned.

Personally - I would have made them sign a waiver and let them wear them. "Evolution in action,"  we call that. wink

1. profile image0

I just won five dollars. I gave you the benefit of the doubt, and bet someone you would be unable to fight the compulsion to come back with a less than courteous response. I've pegged the behavior patterns of the different religious types on this site quite well.  Candy from a baby.

Of course you got a contentious response. You deliberately provoked me by clearly stating something to get that response. That is what you religious people do. Then you could claim the moral high ground.

I had a bet on with myself that you could not accept what I said without disparaging the information I provided in some way. lol

1. profile image0

Yes, but there is no financial gain in a bet with yourself. I'm buying a latte with my winnings. There's no morality in caffeine, so I'm not sure it's a religious experience.

But, that's the way it goes; the far ends of the spectrum see God in everything. The rest of us usually sip our coffee and watch the show.

2. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sikhs here lobbied to the government so they wouldn't have to wear helmets when riding motorcycles, which is a law. They won, and now they are allowed to ride them wearing their turbans only. Of course, head injuries and deaths amongst them increased dramatically. They got what they wanted and are "living" with their decision, or dying, depending how you look at it.

Where is the bs in that? smile

1. GoingOnline profile image60
        GoingOnlineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think the problem is that a guy dying on a motorbike accident for not wearing a helmet is bad, but there won't be many looking at it and probably it won't be the fault of anybody else but him.

A girl having her neck broken on a football match, on TV, by another player who is going to feel guilty as hell is quite more impressing and probably more disruptive (because unlike the case above nobody is going to say "it's his fault for being an idiot without a helmet. He brought it on himself.")

I'm not sure what's the problem, if the rules say "Wear a uniform without covering your head or wearing pointy jewelry" either follow or don't play.

2. profile image0

We argue about things like that all the time here. There are a lot of motorcycle riders that don't want to wear a helmet. No religion, just sheer madness. I don't know what I think of it.

But the hijab question is another thing entirely. I would think there would be a way around this so that the girls could comfortably participate; without endangering themselves and others.

You would think, wouldn't you? Can we let them wear pointy jewelry too? I mean - there must be a way to change the rules so that it is OK for religious women to endanger other people so they can do what god wants and cover their disgusting necks up.

The difference is - a motorcycle rider is endangering himself by not wearing a helmet. Wearing silly clothing or heavy gold chains or whatever endangers other people. That is why it is banned, and has been for a long time - well before this nonsense.

You would want the law changed to endanger others? How odd. That is the problem with religious people. They have no regard for others.

1. profile image0

Again with seeing God everywhere. What is it with you? Ramadan?

I realize you are right as to whether or not there should be scarves on the playing field. I don't know how much negotiation went into this. But I'm sure the girls worked hard to get to that point. It is simply sad that some compromise could not be reached.

1. Beelzedad profile image59

Aren't you talking about two different things here?

1. Working hard to be the very best female soccer players in Iran.

2. Compromising the safety of others to practice a religion.

Go from there. smile

2. secularist10 profile image60
              secularist10posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually, Emile, the article indicated that some compromise was attempted--I think it mentioned Iran's youth Olympics team wearing some kind of hat that provided partial coverage, and that was approved. The Iranian soccer heads simply chose to ignore a number of warnings from FIFA, for whatever reason.

And what nobody is remembering is that the FIFA rules also prohibit clothing that makes a religious statement. Which makes sense to me--why bring in divisive self-righteous agendas into an event that's supposed to be about peace and fun?

Sure, next thing you know, Sihks will want to wear their swords and Vodou's will want to sacrifice a chicken and smear the blood all over their opponents bodies.

Where does it end? smile

3. Evolution Guy profile image57

So - this is not a religious thing then? lol lol

The hijab is not religious? lol lol

What compromise are you suggesting? I agree it is a shame these religious girls cannot endanger their own lives and the lives of others because of some superstition. What a horrible world we live in. lol Very, very sad that they cannot do this. lol Must have been a huge surprise to learn they had to follow rules like everyone else. lol Shocking they cannot do what Allah wants. Persecution? I expect you think so. Prbably FIFA hates Allah, I suppose. lol

1. GoingOnline profile image60
                GoingOnlineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There's a thing though. Those girls are doing something that is probably making the extremist  religious zealots on their country want to kill them. I mean, they are playing a SPORT instead of being locked at home being a good woman. They are getting valued for themselves and their skills, instead of by who are they married to (or who can they be married to by their families).

So it would be great if some compromise could be reached, since at least it's some progress from "live under a tent of cloth if you aren't inside the walls of your home". Like a really tight face mask thingy that covered the hair or something like that. Like a swimming cap maybe? (and I know they'd look ridiculous).

2. profile image0

You go out of your way to be difficult it appears. These are young girls caught in between politics and a hard place. This lack of sympathy for their plight is difficult to follow.

I doubt these girls could care less about the hijab. Who in the world would want to play a sport that strenuous covered from head to toe? I don't know whether you've noticed or not, but their society doesn't allow options.

They are kids that want to play a sport. This shouldn't be about religion or politics. I grow tired of the refusal of parties to sit down and find a common ground they can work from, but when the dreams of children suffer because of it I find it even more maddening.

Nonsense, they are caught in their own religious beliefs, this has nothing to do with politics.

Ah, did you actually read what you just wrote there?

You mean, the religious beliefs make the children suffer because the belief is far more important then their dreams of playing sports. smile

1. profile image0

If we were talking about a soccer team from France, I would agree.  But these girls are Iranian.  If you don't think Ahmadinejad had some say in this, you are naive. And this incident will be played up well by him.

And yes, I read what I wrote. These girls have no option but to do as they are told.  Yes, religion runs their society, but you are purposely ignoring the bigger picture. 

I find it sad that you and Evolution Guy are so obsessed with the topic of religion that you can't set that aside for one moment and try to imagine what is the right thing to do for the children involved. Religion is not going to be beaten down by not letting a few girls play a game of soccer.  They won't look back and say 'Darn, if I just hadn't been Muslim I might have won a medal.'  This incident will reinforce in their minds the evil of the West. It will be with them forever. Is the moral high ground worth that to you?

2. Evolution Guy profile image57

Aww. I'm sorry. I must have missed your suggestion of exactly how to compromise rules that prohibit the wearing of dangerous clothing or promoting a religious agenda in order tto pander to a religious agenda.

Please - go ahead. lol

I feel sorry for the girls as well. Thank goodness they got a dose of modern reality huh? Keep religion out of sport please.

The hijab is not religious? lol

1. profile image0

See my response to Beelzedad.  That goes for you too.  Enjoy the high ground.  I consider this type of attitude a detriment in the attempt to peacefully work with our neighbors on questions that really aren't as important in the long run as you politicians think.

3. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Ya caint rollerskate in a buffalo herd neither. smile

4. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

I think it is kind of funny that politicians spend so much time talking about how the muslim women need ot be freed, but if they want to wear an article of clothing we tell them that they can't, despite the cultural significance associated with it.

5. jacharless profile image75
    jacharlessposted 12 years ago

Sports entertainment has gone Secular, really? No...really?
    Sad that they achieved that level of play, only to be dismissed at the very apex of it.

Aren't sports supposed to be unbiased and unifying?
    I do not see how that occurred in this particular instance.

Granted, precautions should be taken for the safety of the players, male or female. From the looks of it, the hijab was only a little loose. Why not make it more like a fencing bib? Second, they allowed them to play up to that point with the hijab on, why at the very climax did they 'enforce' this rule?

James.

1. profile image0

Excellent points.

2. secularist10 profile image60
      secularist10posted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, apparently FIFA banned the hijab and similar neck-covering items in 2007. The Iranian team was forced to forfeit a qualifying match, which (I assume--I'm not an expert on the sport) means that this is the first time this team has played against another country, monitored by the international organization, as opposed to playing other teams inside Iran.

6. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

hold on a second, since when did we decide it was OK for woman to play sports!?!?

1. jacharless profile image75
      jacharlessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol G.O.
      watching woman play sports is very relaxing, especially tennis.
      James.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)