keyword relevance through multiple layers

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Greg Sage profile image40
    Greg Sageposted 12 years ago

I've done hundreds of pages of reading on SEO lately, but I feel like I'm still not clear on the basic questions I started with.

Here's the first:

Do keywords have to be relevant through all levels, or just for a particular link?

In other words... say you have bookmarking and social media links that go to blog sites... and say those keywords have to do with dogs.

Say your eventual goal is to drive traffic to a site about baking.

If you have a keyword rich anchor text segue that includes baking keywords and links to the baking site...

Would the "link juice" follow because the keywords are relevant at each step, or does congruency throughout the chain matter?

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I believe that textual links (preferable) should be on the subject (have similar or the same keywords) if you are looking for link juice.  HP requires, for instance, that RSS feeds be topical - the reason as I understand it is that google penalizes links that are not as an obvious attempt at raising the SERP and nothing more.

If you are looking for traffic, though, it seems to me that you are barking up the wrong tree.  Dog lovers looking for dog sites are not likely to be looking to become a baker and won't click through.

2. Greg Sage profile image40

Not looking for traffic... just wondering about a couple things.

I have two fairly unrelated blog topics and while only one leads to my ultimate goal in terms of a product, the other generates more traffic and is more likely to be bookmarked or similar by other people.

I'm just wondering if there's any way to use some of that juice to help the ranking of my personal site on the other topic.... looking to get traffic to main site moreso through ranking on it's keywords... so anything that can bump it in Google is a step forward.

Investigating different approaches.

Also considering a "daily break" kind of site where I have multiple blogs in categories, a cartoonist, and a few other writers.  Perhaps it would be better to do that and have 3 or 4 different sets of keyword campaigns all eventually pointed at that site?

Evental goal is to have a content rich daily visit type site with music related content, and regular recurring visits from lots of people who share, like, and whatever else to have a platform in order to have a large built-in audience in 6 months to a year for a series of musical releases.

Ultimately, looking to create a situation where I've worked in the meantime to get 1M followers, and can create an "overnight" interest in the musical content.

I have a few people who have agreed to do reviews of similar music styles, music cartoons, etc... but want to expand a bit wider so lots of people have a reason to check in at least once a week... and add to their favorites.

1. brandonhart100 profile image76
      brandonhart100posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Unrelated links DO help.

Does that help?

3. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 12 years ago

Keywords: anchor text. You're looking to generate *whatever* to your page/post/hub 'Where To Find Mohair Blankets' and your keyword is 'mohair blankets', then stick with that, with a few variations here and there: mohair blanket, black mohair blanket.

So - remain congruent.

As for the rest, you've lost me.

4. Greg Sage profile image40

Sorry, it's a bit confusing for me too... really several questions.

How about isolating this part:

If you have several topics and each have their own unique keywords, would it be better to have a site for each, or if you can find a way to combine them under a common theme (daily take a break from work type site) would it be better to have one main site whose url does not contain any of the various sets of keywods, but that has links on the main page leading to sub pages with each topic?

For instance:

Daily music and humor breaktime site.  Main page shows sections leading to music reviews, another to music humor, another to daily music cartoon, another to discussion of new artists, another to non-music humor...

If it does make sense to combine into a common theme to drive as much traffic as possible to a single place, should the keyword backlinking for each section point only to it's sub-page?  Or, should everything point to the main page?

5. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 12 years ago

You decide on what you want to rank for. That's what you work on. Send some links to the homepage, the rest to the individual posts/pages.

And like I said before - use the right/matching keyword per page.

As for the cross-topic site, that's up to you. I use different sites, unless I can comfortably relate one to another.

6. brandonhart100 profile image76
    brandonhart100posted 12 years ago

It really depends on how large of a niche site you want.  I have some sites which have 50+ articles and other sites that have 5... simply because the title of the site is exact match with the keyword I'm trying to rank for.

You'll have to decide... but overall your first few articles on an exact match domain will rank higher... Over time it's worth it to build up a larger site - again it all depends.

Relevant links mean more, but irrelevant ones mean a lot too.  If you are writing the link yourself, then try to use a keyword match.  I've heard arguments for and against varying your anchor text so again you'll have to decide that.  I will tell you I've never been "punished" for having the same anchor text.

7. Greg Sage profile image40

Well, it's more of a long term strategy...

To have a continual subscription base so that any future releases have a built-in audience... trying to find ways to offer more related content that keeps people coming back, but more content means pushing the relevance ever further out.

I see it as a place where after the main page, each section has someone assigned to it.  They write a daily blog for that section, and they keep the ad revenue from that page or at least a percentage.  It's basically their blog and their income, but they need to keep it OT for the site as a whole.

Ultimately, in the long run, I think it makes more sense to drive everything to one spot since there will be spillover of people who follow the internal site links to another section, and find another reason to share it on facebook, etc.

Overall, if I can get some ad revenue, that's great, but I'll settle for 1M built-in views when releases go live.  Ultimate goal is to have mechanism in place to help music releases go viral with a huge built-in push... secondary goal is ad revenue from efforts overall... then any other related merchandise.

anyway, this stuff is getting increasingly off topic for HP.

Where's the most useful forum out there for this stuff?  I've come across endless sales pitches and seas of never-ending spam, but not too much in the way of solid forum advice for website building and seo.

1. brandonhart100 profile image76
      brandonhart100posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just remember that the larger the site the more risk/reward... that's how I see it at least.  I personally have 6 websites that I maintain for myself as a way of diversifying...

One large site is great, but as I'm relatively new, I'll stick with diversification.  HubPages is part of that diversification.

1. Greg Sage profile image40
        Greg Sageposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hear you, but the plan is to leverage several people's talents to have high quality content that is always fresh.

In that sense, even a snafu with google should eventually be outweighed by the organic growth of user shares via social media,etc.

I'm fairly new to these concepts, but that's my grasp at the moment.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)