3 countries asked Marvel to change the title to Captain America movie

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (32 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

In recent news, Marvel Studios offered each country an option of removing the name "Captain America" from the title to be called simply "First Avenger" if the word "America" would be deemed too offensive due to recent political issues.  Well as far as we know, most countries are more than willing to still take the release of "Captain America:  First Avenger" as is, but 3 countries insisting of South Korea, Ukraine, and Russia have taken Marvel up on their offer.  My question to you is this...well a few questions actually..

1. Does Russia, Ukraine and S. Korea have a right to strip Captain America from the title of the movie?  After all, it's just a movie, right?

2.  What's so offensive about the title.."CAPTAIN AMERICA" in any movie title?

3.  would you do the same thing if you were in the same boat as Marvel Studios?

4.  Are you surprised by the number of countries taking advantage of this offer? 

Anyways, what are you're thoughts?

Me, I don't see this as a big deal at all if you want my opinion, as it's just a movie anyway.  Marvel Studios is like any other business, and will do whatever they feel is in the best interest of promoting a product.  Therefore, I think this has more to do with business more so than politics if you ask me. Although politics do play a part, but I think it's more of a business move to ensure international sales success of Captain America if anything else. 

edit:  here's a link for more information

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap. … -container

1. livewithrichard profile image73
      livewithrichardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think you are right here as many titles just do not translate well in non English speaking countries. Also there are many titles that reference things that would have little meaning outside the US. For example, in the UK Harold and Kumar go to White Castle was renamed Harold and Kumar Get the Munchies, as Brits would be unlikely to know of the association White Castle has to an American audience. Or how about this, Live Free or Die Hard the 4th Die Hard movie is just known as Die Hard 4 outside the US.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

The studio offered all countries two naming options with no preference as to which one they chose.  I assume for the good ol' American reasons of wanting to make as much money as possible.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

agreed. smile  although I know a lot of comic fans are really pissed off about it right now.  (sighs) I guess most people fail to see how the business aspect to all this is coming into play as well.  smile

1. recommend1 profile image60
        recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is not Marvel's fault that America is seen as less than heroic, less than morally accountable, less than 'good',  this is the fault of America and those fans who are p!ssed off should be p!ssed off with their government that has aggressively trashed whole countries in its failed new-age colonial efforts.

Think of how Vietnam or Iraq might feel about it.

What about Laos,  America dropped almost as many metric tons of bombs on this teeny country as all the bombs used by Germany and the UK combined in WWII !  how do you think they might feel about it ?

1. profile image0

Well recommend, I don't disagree.  The problem with America for the longest time is that we've grown accustomed to the concept of "having our cake and eating it too."  where we'd preach one thing, then do another. I think with a lot of the recent political events, it's fairly easy to understand how America has lost most of it's moral credibility over the years.

That's why I see this as more of a financial move by Marvel Studios to ensure that Captain America is a hit overseas versus it being a political one.  Sure, politics do play a part of it, but I certainly don't blame the executives at marvel for doing this.  Besides, I'd probably do the exact same thing if I was in their shoes.  In fact, the only thing that surprises me with the article is that more countries didn't take advantage of Marvel's offer.  Then again, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

To be honest, I think out of all the superhero films being released..the biggest one that concerns me is this one.  Not because the character isn't that great, but it has more to do with what Captain America represents if anything else.  I remember when he was created, Marvel used him as not only a symbol to bolster patriotic sentiment in WWII, but to represent the ideals and values of America.  However in this day and age where America is no longer viewed as being as morally just as you pointed out, I tend to question how well a character like Captain America will do overseas.  Which should be interesting.

3. psycheskinner profile image84

I think they are off base in being pissed off.  The movie will be exactly the same, only the promo will be slightly different. What's the big deal?  American distributors change entire movie titles all the time.

1. profile image0

And your right about that too.  In fact, the article even stated that "Hangover's" title was changed in france, due to the fact that the word "hangover" doesn't translate well into french.  Plus, I remember speaking to a australian friend of mine once on how "Live free or die hard" had a title change when it hit australia.  not sure if that's true or not, but that's what she told me.  Personally, I'm with you here, as I tend to think that this isn't as big of a deal as most people are making it out to be.  Besides, I'd do the same thing if I was in any of the executives' shoes at Marvel Studios.

4. optimus grimlock profile image61
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

Thats ok 1 nuke bomb changes everything!!! o did I just say that yes I did!!!!

1. profile image0

lol  lol

5. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

Most of the world dispises what America represents today... so why is anyone shocked.

We export homosexuality and Abrtion, open living,... I would think the Liberal Progressive agenda itself is anathema to most societies which hold any religion, or moral basis, in high standing.

We supposedly represent freedom and liberty, justice... lol

What ever.. we, America, represent perversion and immorality, materialism and hedonism, and the whole world knows it... except us.

1. profile image0

(sighs) Sadly, I tend to agree with you there.

That's an interesting analogy there.

Well as I told recommend, we are a nation of hypocrites now aren't we...

Okay, I agree with you about the whole materialism thing being part of what America really represents.  As far as perversion, immorality, and hedonism, I don't know if I'd agree with you there, as that's kind of subjective if anything. What may come off as a perversion or immoral to you, it may not apply to everyone here. 

Therefore, you'll probably have to elaborate more with me about what you mean by immoral, perversion and hedonism exactly before I can comment on it, as I want to make sure that I'm reading you correctly on all these if you don't mind.

6. Reality Bytes profile image75
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

Capitain America's been torn apart
    Now he's a court jester
    With a broken heart
    He said turn me around
    And take me back to the start
    I must be losing my mind
    "Are you blind?!"
    I've seen it all a mllion times

Guns and Roses

1. profile image0

Wow, those are some really good song lyrics.  I'll definitely have to look for that song.  What's it called if you don't mind me asking?

1. livewithrichard profile image73
        livewithrichardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Paradise City by  Guns N Roses

1. profile image0

Thanks livewithrichard.  I'll definitely have to check it out then.   big_smile

2. Reality Bytes profile image75
          Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

smile

7. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

This thread made we wonder if "Team America: world Police" had its title changed in those countries, but it seems it wasnt released there at all sad

Kim Jong Il: Now you see, the changing of the worrd is inevitabre!
    Lisa: I'm sorry, it's what?
    Kim Jong Il: Inevit, inevitabre.
    Lisa: One more time

1. profile image0

It wasn't?  Are you serious?  Wow, who knew that "Team America:  World Police" was that freaking offensive.  That really stinks, as I loved that movie.

2. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

Smart arse.

Thanks for the laughs, sunforged.

P.S. Connotations are very difficult to overcome. Allowing title change is a brilliant marketing tool, when connotations might get the product banned or labeled badly in some regions of the world. I don't think it's such a bad thing, myself.

I just hope it's good entertainment. Looks like it might be.

8. melpor profile image91
    melporposted 12 years ago

I have no problem with this. It has always been done in the entertainment business when it come to naming movies and songs. When the Bruce Lee movies came out in the 70s his movies were named one way in China and another way in the U.S.  For example Bruce Lee's "Way of the Dragon" in China was called "Return of the Dragon" in the United States. This practice is nothing new and is done for cultural and political reasons.

1. profile image0

agreed. smile  Excellent point there.

9. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

What about Snow White?

It Soviet Russia is was called "Young Revolutionary overthrows autocratic monarch with the help of 7 oppressed miners"

1. profile image0

lol Very funny Greek.  lol

10. psycheskinner profile image84

This backlash is a bit like:

Waiter: would you like soup or salad?
    Customer: Salad please.
    Customer at next table: WHY DO YOU HATE SOUP YOU UNGRATEFUL BASTARD!

1. sunforged profile image69
      sunforgedposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think it would be more like:

Waiter: Welcome to our delightful cafe in Paris, would you like an appetizer?

American: Do You have french fries?

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not really, both titles were explicitly offered by the studio (/restaurant).  They were on the menu.

2. profile image0

lol that's a great analogy you got there. smile

11. R.S. Hutchinson profile image70
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 12 years ago

Marvel Studios is owned by a Russian.... I'm jk, I just made that up I don't know who owns Marvel Studios.

1. profile image0

Well technically speaking, Marvel Studios was bought out by Disney a few years ago.  and once the contract distribution rights expire from paramount this year, then Disney will take over distribution rights completely; with the "Avengers" movie being the first one under Disney's belt.  Therefore, whoever owns or controls disney, they obviously have control over Marvel Studios.

12. optimus grimlock profile image61
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

mickey mouse owns marvel so we could get the mice twins in a new x-men comic. It will be the same as super friends adding the wonder twins:super powers activate in the form od a vibrater and duct tape.

1. profile image0

lol  Your killing me here grimock.  lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)