Getting REEEEEEAAAAAALLLLYYYY tired of having to reset all my links.

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Greg Sage profile image40
    Greg Sageposted 12 years ago

What's the deal?  I have a bunch of text links within my hubs that link to others in the series.  There's over a hundred of them.

I've gone COMPLETELY THROUGH the entire series and reset nearly EVERY ONE multiple times now.

... and it's fine for a while, then they all break again.

I've had nearly a dozen times that someone has told me my links don't work.

Should I not even bother having links?

What am I missing here?

Just checked multiple hubs and MOST of the links are broken AGAIN.

1. sofs profile image77
      sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

May be a bug.. report it.. all my links work fine..

2. Greg Sage profile image40

It's far from a one time thing.  They're the same HP permalinks they've always been, and I've had to reset some 4 times now.

Just this morning, HALF the ones I checked were bad again.  That's about a dozen that have needed resetting in the past 24 hours... and all of them have been set multiple times now.... same hp permalinks.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago
    1. Greg Sage profile image40
      Greg Sageposted 12 years agoin reply to this

OK.

A  What's a tracker? 

B  I set all my text links the same way... just grab the url of the permalink, hit the chain button, and paste in.  I test all of them after the hub has saved all changes and been published.  All were working fine... most multiple times now.

C  Every time this happens, my "Broken links" tab shows nothing

D  I haven't been doing anything personally regarding subdomains.

4. Greg Sage profile image40

It's even more screwed up than I thought. An hour so far resetting over a dozen of them, and when I try to follow their order in the category listing to make sure they're linked properly to overcome the back/next problem...

... I find... wait for it...

... wait for it..

That several don't exist at all in the categories page.  They've disappeared completely.

http://hubpages.com/hub/MAKING-MONEY-WI … -Franchise

for instance.  It's just gone from the list.  Not orphaned, mind you... NOT THERE.

I give up.  I'm wasting my time trying to fix this.  There's something much bigger going wrong here.

The simple fact is that someone who wants to follow through the series will not be able to.  Not by next... and thanks to the fact that the categories list has dropped articles so I can't fix any issues by making sure my own links are correct... they can't do it by mine either.

... which is fine since they keep breaking for no apparent reason anyway.

For any of you playing the home game, that's THREE separate chronic problems... together making it impossible to have a functioning series.

Overall, this is maybe 6-7 hours of my life wasted going around in circles on this over the past month.

1. Krysanthe profile image91
      Krysantheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not sure exactly what the issue would be with your links, but I would contact HubPages staff for help with your issue.

That being said, if you are just trying to link a series of your hubs... have you thought of grouping them?  If you put them in a group (you can choose the order) someone can follow the series when they reach the end of the hub.  Just a thought.

5. Greg Sage profile image40

They are all grouped, and the groups don't work.  ALL of my currently published hubs are in a series.  All are entered into the same group, and ordered correctly when entered, but in
    the month I've been here, there have been a few days at best where the group next-previous buttons would correctly take someone through the whole series without messing up.  Most of the time it works, but most of the time isn't even enough to read through the series once without it screwing up as the number of hubs increases.

It's like they just stop working once you get more than a few in a group where order matters.

I keep having to tell people to ignore them and use my links except my links keep breaking.  So... I went in this morning to redo some of the links at the beginning and end of each hub (a dozen or so were broken again for no apparent reason... and none showed as broken in HP's system as always). 

It gets worse, though.  I erased some so I could rewrite the surrounding text... they were broken anyway, and I was there...

... I figured it had been such a mess that I'd go in and double check against the CORRECT order (the original way they were stacked as entered into the group) befoere I put the "Click here for my next article" links back in... just to make sure nothing got mixed up and they all point correctly in series.

... so I go to where I ordered them in the first place... the groups page... only to find some int he middle are just completely missing from the groups page... yet another bug.

When you put the three bugs together, I'm about ready to just say screw it.  Id have to read through the hubs now to make sure what order they SHOULD be in, and then make sure I put back in the right links at the end of each leading to the next.

As it is, the chain is broken in at least a couple places.

I've received numerous complaints about the forward/next problem from readers... as well as numerous complaints about the links that keep breaking.

*scratches head*...wow, what a complete nightmare.  If its any concellation, I just went through your hubs, clicking on some links and using the gruop thing at the bottom...everything worked for me.  I'm sure of course thats after you fixing them umpteen times.  Btw, LOVE your big ol arrow pointing to the rank up button.

6. Greg Sage profile image40

Yeah.  I spent a lot of time fixing them this morning.  There's a couple breaks still, I think, so someone going through will miss a couple.

If I dig through, I could find out where, but it would mean actually READING my hubs (the horror)

When I had the links in place you could see... ten or so steps in, everything would match... then suddenly one wouldn't... and it would be a different one next time.  Really ponderous, and a huge headache.

If the groups pre-next thing were completely random, people would know not to trust it, but it does point to the right thing MOST of the time, so I have people telling me weeks later they missed a couple.

It's nice to know that the single memorable thing about my writing career is a big orange arrow.

smile

LMAO!  Well the arrow made me smile!  I didn't read any of them, I was just checking the links and groups...how 'bout I promise to go back and read them later?

7. Greg Sage profile image40

No one ever does.  You know how you can tell?  Because they leave feedback like "very useful information."

Just read the first one, and you'll get the joke.

OMG, you totally left a piece out of the puzzle when you stated your issue...is it not possible that your helper monkey's have sabotaged your links? wink

8. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 12 years ago

I just went back to your profile each time when I read them anyway, and grabbed the next one in sequence. I think people who like them will figure it out, but I do feel your frustration.

Frankly, this sort of thing is exactly why I am so lazy and half-hazard in my approach to this stuff. It's so painfully boring on the back end. Much more fun to just barf up whatever hairball hub that comes up, scratch out some shoddy graphics and call it done. Effort takes too much effort.

9. Greg Sage profile image40

haha... yeah, maybe.

I'll go in sometime soon, read the few in the middle that need fixing for my own link, and read them.  At least then I can figure out the right order and fix them by hand.  Some don't matter for order, but some don't make any sense without it.

I have no idea why they would go missing from the groups list or what other problems that may be causing, but it's a glaring bug.

If I could just cover up the forward next buttons or delete them somehow, at least people would know to only follow my links.

10. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 12 years ago

I haven't ever had this problem, yet.  Isn't probably true that it is a conspiracy between your monkey and the staff at HP to sabotage everything you do?  I believe so.  Now, the only way to counteract that is to get the PLGiraffe Consortium  (the PLGC) to make doodoo on certain hubstaff's instruction hubs and completely ball up the works.  But just don't say where you heard the idea!  lol

11. Greg Sage profile image40

Great minds think alike.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)